Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2013, 07:02 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
I have a daunting physical presence, so this might work different for me than it would for you....

I've had the problem a couple times, and going out to 'investigate' in nothing more than my ginch usually works. In the couple occasions where they try to hide, a loud voice shouting a profanity laced string of commands has drawn them out, general apologetic and fearing for their life. Carrying an axe will help if your not a larger man.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...=Garage&page=2
So what happens if he winks and has the other eye on your crotch! You might have a friend...
Old 12-28-2013, 08:28 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger1022 View Post
Do I?

This happened Christmas Eve 5 min north from my house.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Ca...760/story.html

Two weeks ago, again this time 5 min west of my house at 4am. My buddies neighbors house was broken into while the family slept. The neighbor (of Russian decent) shouted like a crazy man and the scum ran.

If this guy that prowled my yard Christmas morning decided to use that crowbar he was holding, walk ten steps to my back door, and decided to break into my house. I may have applied some new lipstick for him with my shotgun BUT..,I would then think twice about doing it because then the criminal becomes the victim and the victim becomes the criminal...

Great ideas,..
keepem coming.

Why would anyone need to protect themselves when the police are only 1/2 hour away.

My nephew moved to Cowgry recently for school. First day 3 p.m. in a parking lot he is mugged at knifepoint, by two lowlifes. Another reason to never have open carry. Who gets mugged in the middle of the day in Canada.

Time to pull our craniums out of our.............well you know.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-28-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
So what happens if he winks and has the other eye on your crotch! You might have a friend...
Well then you throw a prison rape on him, of course. A man has to assert his dominance over his domain.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:32 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Well then you throw a prison rape on him, of course. A man has to assert his dominance over his domain.
I shall remember this, thank you.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:39 PM

Here are two ideas

A motion detection paintball gun.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6QcfZG...autoplay%253D1

And one that is a lot less money - a paintball land mine.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6QcfZG...autoplay%253D1

Each of them should do the job!

Don
Old 12-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Why would anyone need to protect themselves when the police are only 1/2 hour away.

My nephew moved to Cowgry recently for school. First day 3 p.m. in a parking lot he is mugged at knifepoint, by two lowlifes. Another reason to never have open carry. Who gets mugged in the middle of the day in Canada.

Time to pull our craniums out of our.............well you know.
sounds like a quick way to turn a mugging into a stabbing
Old 12-28-2013, 09:30 PM

...And this is where a suppressor would be useful.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:52 PM

Lay a 2x6 with a bunch of mails sticking up on the other side of that fence.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:12 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
sounds like a quick way to turn a mugging into a stabbing
HMMMM. You must be the guy they speak about when they tell how stupid it is to bring a knife to a gunfight.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-29-2013, 12:41 PM

Don't confuse this next bit as me defending the perp haha but from the looks of it, your yard is a great shortcut between point A and B for this drunk guy. And I would put money on the fact he's drunk from the manner and approach he takes tumbling over your fence. no excuses for cutting through your yard, but I wouldn't be creeped out necessarily
Old 12-29-2013, 01:38 PM

Ruger...

Go low-tech...and set out a trap line.

Princess Auto: buy a spool of thin braided 'aircraft' cable and sleeves for crimping. Get some 7/16 lag bolts too.

Even cheaper: a spool of good strong wire...black coated.

WSS/Cabelas: get about 5 or 6 10-packs of 2/0 treble hooks.

Then create your trapline. Crimp a treble every foot of the cable/wire. put the lagbolts on each post of your fence about 3 inches down from the top on the INSIDE of your fence. This will be invisible in the dark and won't be illuminated be any street lights etc. Plus, it will be sticking out about 3-4 inches from the edge of your fence

stretch your trapline taut around each lagbolt all along the length of your fence.

Chances are that your prey will try to scale the fence again. And knowing that he has been able to do it in the past, he won't even think twice before trying again. Even better if he is 'spooked' and encouraged to get over the fence a little quicker by you.

Wait for the howls of pain and have the police go collect your prize! Or don't call police...He ain't going anywhere Pretty tough to scale fences with broken hands....just saying.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 12-29-2013, 02:02 PM

double post

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 12-29-2013, 02:13 PM

Sneak up on him and let his knee caps meet the Louisville slugger. Swing for the fences...problem solved
Old 12-29-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLabel View Post
Don't confuse this next bit as me defending the perp haha but from the looks of it, your yard is a great shortcut between point A and B for this drunk guy. And I would put money on the fact he's drunk from the manner and approach he takes tumbling over your fence. no excuses for cutting through your yard, but I wouldn't be creeped out necessarily
I thought this as well at first,

It's not to clear in this video as I used my phone to record off the screen, but he has a crowbar in hand. The first thing he did was tried to open the SUV's door that is parked on the street/sidewalk. Then he cased the truck looking in it up and down. It doesn't help that it looks like a used car lot in my cul du sac either, I think it just attracks the scum. I am the only one that parks in the garage whereas all the neighbours have a 2/1 ratio of vehicles and they use their garages as junk storage.

Thx for the tips everyone,
Lots of great ideas funny and serious, I'd love to try them all but I have to think of the kids as we are ALWAYS outside.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:13 PM

I used to live in NE Calgary. I had a problem with people cutting through my yard at night and leaving gates open, dog could get out, motorcycles back there etc. I put locks on the gates. One night I was working in the garage and heard voices and the sound of someone climbing over my gate. I came out and yelled at them, didn't even see who it was, just berated them for trespassing and "why the f do you think I put locks on these gates" "your probably the fs that have been leaving my gate open" a very meek apology came back, never saw tracks through my yard again. Confronting a guy that with a crowbar that is trying cars, I might want a backup plan, but berating the guy and letting him know you are watching for him might make him choose a different yard to cut through. I wouldn't let him know you have cameras though.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:07 PM

Paintball gun full auto maybe semi if u have quick fingers just don't aim for the head lol
Old 12-31-2013, 02:20 AM
Banned

I got the kids to quit hopping my fence by lining the back portion with rose bushes...big ones...with rather large thorns.

A motion activated sprinkler might help as well.

Course... thats a summer project.

Might consider some loose nails to snag their cloths right now...maybe string a couple of strans of cattle wire along the top of the fence... just a few inches down from the top of the boards...
Old 12-31-2013, 10:31 AM

We had another visitor last night,between 2-3 am. The outstanding citizen was trying the doors on all the cars. I am sure he was just making sure everyone's car was secure!!

Called the cops, cops said there is nothing they can do but maybe send someone out.

Then I sent the videos to the online reporting and recieved this message,

The CPS have rejected your online submission because it didn't fit the criteria of vandalism and or mischief.

Seriously now, if there are any LEO reading this,
WHAT CAN I DO??
Old 12-31-2013, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger1022 View Post
We had another visitor last night,between 2-3 am. The outstanding citizen was trying the doors on all the cars. I am sure he was just making sure everyone's car was secure!!

Called the cops, cops said there is nothing they can do but maybe send someone out.

Then I sent the videos to the online reporting and recieved this message,

The CPS have rejected your online submission because it didn't fit the criteria of vandalism and or mischief.

Seriously now, if there are any LEO reading this,
WHAT CAN I DO??
And people wonder why we don't trust the police and resort to vigilante justice.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:57 AM

Throw a firecracker in the deep snow behind him as he goes to jump over your fence. Guarnteed he'll be changing his underwear.