Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
Yes after he left public he went private and made 20g a year more.

Yes I have a pension and I pay $226 per pay cheque into it. If anybody put $226 per cheque into an rrsp they would have money when they retired too. That's $5876 a year or $205000 lifetime (35) years.
Go private. One week difference in pay is more than you pay into your retirement.

BTW does the gov't pay contributions to retirement for you as well. Sick days. How's your vacation work?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Banned

It is common knowledge that public sector employees make more money and enjoy benefits significantly greater than private sector employees.

Add to the mix that one in four employees in Canada work for the public sector. That means the other underpaid three in four employees in the private sector have to pay for someone that makes more than them.

Add powerful public labour unions and the funding of huge pension funds and a government starts getting fiscally into trouble.

If you do not wnat to be like a PIGS as seen in Europe something has to be done.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Go private. One week difference in pay is more than you pay into your retirement.

BTW does the gov't pay contributions to retirement for you as well. Sick days. How's your vacation work?
I just showed you what I paid and the difference in pay.

Why should I work for less ? There are plenty Of openings at the city if you want to join red.

greylynx, blowing smoke out of your butt again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
It is common knowledge that public sector employees make more money and enjoy benefits significantly greater than private sector employees.

Add to the mix that one in four employees in Canada work for the public sector. That means the other underpaid three in four employees in the private sector have to pay for someone that makes more than them.

Add powerful public labour unions and the funding of huge pension funds and a government starts getting fiscally into trouble.

If you do not wnat to be like a PIGS as seen in Europe something has to be done.
Is that for all of Canada or Alberta? I would think something common like a tradesman in Alberta would have the opportunity to make much more in the private sector.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
When they privatized road maintenance it was a great day for tax paying Albertans. Roads are maintained much better in my opinion.
At a much better cost.
I'd suggest neither you nor I know that to be true. Got the costs and comparisons at your fingertips?
Old 12-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Banned

Quote:

Maybe we could train Mexicans to do all the work an we might be able to save the government some money to make their pensions even bigger or to build more arenas for billionaires. We should be like Mexico and have only rich and poor people there no middle class. Crime would certainly go down if more people had less money to feed their families, good thing we as tax payers have good cheap incompetent immigrant non union cops to help us.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icatchfish View Post
good, Its about time. I don't understand why civil servants make 30% more than people in the private sector yet have better pernsion and better benefits.

going on illegal strikes and holding tax payers hostage is becoming pretty common these days
I think we must stop using this term as at it does not agree to the description on the dictionary.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'd suggest neither you nor I know that to be true. Got the costs and comparisons at your fingertips?
They privatized to save money and it still costs the same or more for the services. The only good thing is the owners of the companies get to take mla's to hockey games and they have secret meetings where donations are made to a charity of the mla's choice.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Banned

Redford and all the mla's are government employees. Let's see what they do to themselves.

Pretty sure an mls doesn't have to serve 35 years to get a wholly government paid pension.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Ummm nope. Equivalent skills and experience in the public sector would make less money but usually better benefits depending on employer. So it's pretty close to a wash IMO.

Private sector employees who look out for their interests and choose to invest wisely can make a heck of a lot more given comparable skills and experience. But that requires them to be smart and ambitious. Those who blow their larger paychecks on quads, boats, and toys not so much...

But then this is my opinion and not "common knowledge"
Old 12-05-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:

http://jest-orae.psc-cfp.gc.ca/JEST-...irements=0#res
Take a look at the salaries to go with these advertised federal jobs. Nothing too excessive. Folks working in the towers in downtown Calgary would laugh. $68,000 for a nurse? $72,000 for a nurse in charge. $90,000 for an oil and gas lease administration manager, $100,000 for a lawyer. Doesn't seem excessive to me. I guess if you compare it to Walmart or 7-11...
Old 12-05-2013, 01:45 PM

To you guys debating public sector wages here is a link to AHS contracts and the wages.
Snoop through and you will find the wages for all the ticketed staff plus non ticketed staff. Some are on pare with the private sector some are below.
Even factoring benifits in,which are funded by both the employer and employee we are still no where near the 30 % over the private sector as someone in this thread stated.
Wage wise when the first road mainanance contracts came out,I went from Dept of Highways to the contractor ,got a raise, company benifits,and a pension plan so I was acyually ahead of the game. Really dont see where the money was saved.

http://www.aupe.org/my-union/health-...ve-agreements/
Old 12-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Banned

Default Whose blowing smoke ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
greylynx, blowing smoke out of your butt again.
Why don't you tell us about your "great" public service benefits package, come on John ....

what do you do (besides troll on AO all day at work) - how many hrs per week - how many weeks holiday - pension - renumeration,,, etc etc
Old 12-05-2013, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
Wage wise when the first road mainanance contracts came out,I went from Dept of Highways to the contractor ,got a raise, company benifits,and a pension plan so I was acyually ahead of the game. Really dont see where the money was saved.

http://www.aupe.org/my-union/health-...ve-agreements/

Efficiency.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
Efficiency.
Unless you have done the job and worked for both sectors in this case I dont put much if any stock in your opinion.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Banned

It’s about bill 45 and 46 not about the employee.

It’s about one group of administrators changing how you negotiate.

Enjoy the decline.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
It’s about bill 45 and 46 not about the employee.

It’s about one group of administrators changing how you negotiate.

Enjoy the decline.
It's about fairness and a process, the government is tainting the system.

It will take a few years but this will be defeated in court anyways.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Banned

Default drove a semi on road maintenance crew one summer working my way through university ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
Unless you have done the job and worked for both sectors in this case I dont put much if any stock in your opinion.
I started driving 18 wheelers on the FARM, legally at 18 (when I got my Class 1 with Air Brakes) but more like 16.

Does that qualify me for an opinion ?

TBD

PS ... also I've operated loaders, excavators, bulldozers, what have you driven ?

Last edited by TBD; 12-05-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Banned

QUOTE]Private sector employees who look out for their interests and choose to invest wisely can make a heck of a lot more given comparable skills and experience. But that requires them to be smart and ambitious. Those who blow their larger paychecks on quads, boats, and toys not so much...But then this is my opinion and not "common knowledge"[[/QUOTE]

So you can be dumb and lazy working for the government and still get those "toys". I will agree with you on that point.

The part I do not like is being a tax payer for those dumb and lazy individuals.

Last edited by greylynx; 12-05-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
Maybe we could train Mexicans to do all the work an we might be able to save the government some money to make their pensions even bigger or to build more arenas for billionaires. We should be like Mexico and have only rich and poor people there no middle class. Crime would certainly go down if more people had less money to feed their families, good thing we as tax payers have good cheap incompetent immigrant non union cops to help us.
Unfortunately with the large public unions and increasing taxes there will be no middle class.

What is wrong with Mexicans if they work hard and pay taxes?
Old 12-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Is that for all of Canada or Alberta? I would think something common like a tradesman in Alberta would have the opportunity to make much more in the private sector.
The entire popuation of civil service workers in Canada is what I believe the demographic measure is of.

You might be correct when it comes to tradesman.

How many tradesman do you know that are employed by the government though. Government inspectors for the tradaes are not hurting any.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:19 PM

Default For your enjoyment

This didn't take long...
I hate Redall more than I am anti union ....but hey to
Each his own ...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ills-1.2452474

Here,s the Question ,which public sector jobs ,would a wildcat strike be
Justified , Because there's no sense having an agreement with a group
That aren't going to hold up their end ...to me wild cat strikes prove that
Unions are useless, they don't do what people think they should do..
Wait for the upcoming Health Care negotiations .....Allison is going down
And not in a good way ..I bet your starting to think ,Dave Mason is looking
All cute and cuddly...

Last edited by Winch101; 12-05-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Unfortunately with the large public unions and increasing taxes there will be no middle class.

What is wrong with Mexicans if they work hard and pay taxes?
Unions created the middle class my red friend. Before unions the people were either rich or poor. That seems to be the way this government wants it to be again.

Nothing wrong with Mexicans if they can do the job. Remember when you bring in cheap labour you get what you pay for.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:34 PM

Default You got that wrong

You have misspoken.....it's Mexicant , the sooner we stop this foreign worker
Deal the better....We have huge areas of unemployment , like the Maritimes ,
First Nation Bands. Don't tell me they cant do the work Mexicans do...
And when maritimers or natives disappear off the job ....at least you know
Where to start looking ...
Old 12-05-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
The entire popuation of civil service workers in Canada is what I believe the demographic measure is of.

You might be correct when it comes to tradesman.

How many tradesman do you know that are employed by the government though. Government inspectors for the tradaes are not hurting any.
I could be totally wrong but I thought that the government employees that are most often viewed as over paid are the people who do not posses any marketable skills? I don't actually know anybody who is a tradesman for the government so my opinion does not count fo to much there. I am sure that there are many people who do work for the government that as taxpayers we are lucky to have and would do much better in the private sector too, but lucky for us.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
Ya but you can't force people to work, can you ?
Old 12-05-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
Many "maritimers" I know are some of the hardest working people I have met.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
I could be totally wrong but I thought that the government employees that are most often viewed as over paid are the people who do not posses any marketable skills? I don't actually know anybody who is a tradesman for the government so my opinion does not count fo to much there. I am sure that there are many people who do work for the government that as taxpayers we are lucky to have and would do much better in the private sector too, but lucky for us.
I work with about 30 electricians and millwrights that work for the city.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Banned

Does anybody believe that this government will lower taxes if they bust the union ?.

I know poor grey and red are in a bad spot they hate Redford but they also hate unions, who to pick who to pick.