Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-24-2015, 03:05 PM

Holy crap Dago! Cant imaging that. Glad to hear you 4 made it out. Could have been so much worse. I went through on a sled in knee to waist deep water, my wife(gf at the time) was 50 ft over and she went through in 6 ish feet with her sled. I had to get a dead tree from the island and belly crawl out to get her out of the water. She was standing on the sled seat and the water was up to her chest. I got her out, out of her wet clothes and gave her my coat,sweats and boots. We were walking to a jeep who was fishing on the ice when a girl came by on a sled who seen us go in. She took my wife around the corner to where our group was fishing as she was soaked, I was only wet from the knees down and had long johns on. I told my wife when you get there, get in the truck, start it and put the heat on high. Stay in there and warm up. We were lucky it was between a island and shore, not too cold out and not too deep. Out in the middle we would be toast. Girl came and took me back to the trucks, not known to me, she then went and got her brothers and friends(lived on the lake), they came across the lake with ropes and stuff(even pulled a alum boat in case) and pulled up the one sled and mine which was hung up on the skis but not under. By the time we got around to the sleds by road with the truck and trailer, they had both out and mine running as it had no water in the engine, just the exhaust. I pulled the dead sled with mine back to the truck which was on the road. Loaded up and went home. This was at Lac La Nonne many moons ago where the church camp is. Locals know of a well know spring between the island and shore. We had no clue until i seen the deep blue under the ice as we traveled over it. To this day driving on the ice is super freaky with the 1 ton. That said, I have been to many Pigeon lake derbys and when you see truck after truck(100's) parked side by side on the ice as in the gull lake derby video, you have to say it is pretty safe if the conditions are right. That's the key, know your ice thickness.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:30 PM

Exclamation

http://www.ifishalberta.com/lakeFeedback.php?id=523

Well, think we will be walking out there tomorrow!

Dago, that is very sad and surely gives one pause.

Everyone, safe fishing!!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 01-25-2015, 07:40 PM

Was out on chain lakes today...(walking)

Dude pulls up beside me and asked how thick the ice was..said "I didn't know, it was 14" inches last time I was here, bout two weeks ago. But there is a guys with a mini van on it, and a half tonne."

The guys asked "would you drive on it?"

I said (laughing) "not a chance, my truck is a 3/4 tonne, and with my luck I would be "that guy" who went trough"

As the afternoon progressed more and more vehicles just plowed onto the ice with out giving it a second thought. It's funny to see the faces of those who are risk takers and who are not...

And further more the ones who start to "bohoo" about there vehicles going through the ice. And then cry to there insurance companies about it. Meanwhile insurance raises their premium rates to cover stupid claims. Much like a car going through the ice...

Meh..I'll walk

Old 01-25-2015, 08:56 PM

Smile

Thanks, Eddie...I agree. We will take our little sled if we go and walk also.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 01-25-2015, 09:06 PM

I too walked on today even though the walk was long and slippery as can be but my brand new truck was safe on shore. Especially because I had family and friends with me too. What's a little excersize hey? lol
Old 01-25-2015, 10:45 PM

Drove my 1 ton diesel with a 24' inclosed trailer on this weekend, didn't have a problem what so ever, 22" of ice. Lots of water on top, defiantly a scetchy feeling. It's going to have to take a lot more for this ice to deteriate. On a brighter note we hammered the fish and its suppoSe to go down below zero very soon.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finner-duramax View Post
Drove my 1 ton diesel with a 24' inclosed trailer on this weekend, didn't have a problem what so ever, 22" of ice. Lots of water on top, defiantly a scetchy feeling. It's going to have to take a lot more for this ice to deteriate. On a brighter note we hammered the fish and its suppoSe to go down below zero very soon.

22"....?

You are not suppose to use your "fishing" tape measure to measure Ice thickness....
Old 01-25-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaleddie View Post
22"....?

You are not suppose to use your "fishing" tape measure to measure Ice thickness....
Used my scoop there numb nuts
Old 01-25-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Stay classy
Old 01-25-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
22"....?

Let me re-wrte that for you " special " people...
1 foot 10 inches = 22"

Old 01-26-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Well, you are bolder than most! I guess it depends where you drill to test the ice...quite a difference between 12" and 22".

Old 01-26-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
No need for that kind of comment!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
22"....?

There was 22" of clear solid ice on Gull yesterday where we fished as well. An inch or two of white pack ice/or melt.

Drilled holes in a few areas and the ice was consistent and solid.

Lakes like Gull where there aren't too many springs, currents or inflows have very stable ice.

No water on ice.

No heaves or cracks.

Some areas completely free of snow pack.

Yup 22" there as well. The warm weather only solidified the top layer of ice, and the thickness has increased this week it seems (ice builds from the bottom).

It was very safe. I'd say about as safe as conditions could be. Temperatures between +4 to -4 create the best conditions for stability in ice.

I measured mine with my handy dandy scoop that comes with a graduated handle marked off in 1" increments.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
No need for that kind of comment!
No need for him to comment that I'm lieing.
So yes, there was a need for it
Old 01-26-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
Well, you are bolder than most! I guess it depends where you drill to test the ice...quite a difference between 12" and 22".
Where are you getting 12" from?
Old 01-26-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Where are you getting 12" from?
From the link I posted above...A website called iFish Alberta. It relies on feedback by the public.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
From the link I posted above...A website called iFish Alberta. It relies on feedback by the public.
Ohh ok, I see. All lakes are different.
I defiantly would be driving on unless I doubled checked thickness. Especially with 80,000$ worth of truck, trailer, and gear.
I feel safe driving on 20" of ice, but to each their own.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:08 PM

Soooo......now for the real story

There was 14" (1' 2" ) on chain lakes around the boat launch.....

I find it amazing that someone found 22" or ( 1' 10") of ice on the same small lake.

But whatever,

I will keep an eye out for a 1 tonne black dodge dually on the ice next time I am out...

Old 01-26-2015, 07:27 PM

haha. Love the Lebowski reference.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:43 PM

I interpreted that he was talking about whatever lake he was fishing (probably northern AB) had 22" of ice, anyways...Only been out a few times this year and done some exploring but have found ice thickness to vary quite a bit the farther away you get from shore and in different areas of larger lakes. I won't be driving out anytime soon.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Soooo......now for the real story

There was 14" (1' 2" ) on chain lakes around the boat launch.....

I find it amazing that someone found 22" or ( 1' 10") of ice on the same small lake.

But whatever,

I will keep an eye out for a 1 tonne black dodge dually on the ice next time I am out...

Was with finner on 22".... Definitely wasn't at chain. Keep an eye out for whatever colour of dodge you want lol but you won't find us there. I wouldn't pull an inclosed onto any lake without at least 20", if you still don't believe us I'll send you a pic of my ice hole with a 28" walleye poking through
Old 01-26-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk4 View Post

Was with finner on 22".... Definitely wasn't at chain. Keep an eye out for whatever colour of dodge you want lol but you won't find us there. I wouldn't pull an inclosed onto any lake without at least 20", if you still don't believe us I'll send you a pic of my ice hole with a 28" walleye poking through
All good....

Should have read the entire thread, I guess

We can chalk this up to one of those....

moments......

This is what the lake looked like on Sunday

Last edited by loyaleddie; 01-26-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
All good....

Should have read the entire thread, I guess

We can chalk this up to one of those....

moments......
Umm ok?
Should change your username it Meme-Eddie.
Anyways I'm not going to waste my time.
Time to grow up Eddie.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:17 AM

Talking

We checked it out yesterday and there were about four rigs out there, and a couple groups on foot. We are heading out this morning, but we are walking (with ice cleats!) whether Hublet likes it or not!!

P.S. I didn't realize Duramax guy was on a different lake either! Makes sense now...

Old 01-27-2015, 09:18 AM

I prefer to walk as it is part of the experience for me
Old 01-27-2015, 09:19 AM

I've been ice fishing since I was 8 years old so roughly 20 years and I still even today never drive on the ice. I will always walk or haul my quad for my adventures. I've saw too many scary scenes and would hate to risk anything. I had a close friend I used to fish with (Fishin Fool) he would drive on rarely but was always very hesitant, you could always notice it was him from miles away cause he would always have one foot sticking out, seat belt off and the door wide open.... haha