Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-27-2014, 08:36 PM

Had a goose hunt ruined by a guy ripping through the field on a quad. Contacted the land owner, and he was not aware of anyone allowed on his spread. All we could do was pass on the info, and pick up our decoys. It sucks, but thats the way she goes....
Old 10-29-2014, 09:27 AM

I have been dealing with "truck" bowhunters in the Edmonton bowzone. There are three regulars who drive around in a truck with their bows and stop on the road to shoot at deer. I was in my tree stand overlooking a field when they drove up, stopped on the road, got out and behind the truck for cover and were about to shoot when I yelled at them...they tore out and left before I could get a licence plate. They know it is illegal...but they are doing it anyway. Sad really.

The farmer whose property I hunt had an interesting discussion with one last week...they said it was perfectly legal to shoot a deer on the road as it was "public" land. When the farmer brought up that is what not legal and what happens when the animal expires on private property. The guy told him that the farmer was obligated under law to let him recover the animal. The farmer told him to get lost and he would call the police if he caught him on his land...
Old 10-29-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus32 View Post
I have been dealing with "truck" bowhunters in the Edmonton bowzone. There are three regulars who drive around in a truck with their bows and stop on the road to shoot at deer. I was in my tree stand overlooking a field when they drove up, stopped on the road, got out and behind the truck for cover and were about to shoot when I yelled at them...they tore out and left before I could get a licence plate. They know it is illegal...but they are doing it anyway. Sad really.

The farmer whose property I hunt had an interesting discussion with one last week...they said it was perfectly legal to shoot a deer on the road as it was "public" land. When the farmer brought up that is what not legal and what happens when the animal expires on private property. The guy told him that the farmer was obligated under law to let him recover the animal. The farmer told him to get lost and he would call the police if he caught him on his land...
3. Good points ...For those not familar with highlighted above...

From 2014 Regulations...
"discharge an arrow from a bow at big game, from, along or across a highway or road specified in Item 9 ...
a) a provincial highway (this designation applies to all former primary and secondary highways),
b) a road that is paved, oiled, graded or regularly maintained, unless
- the road is held under any active disposition under the Public Lands Act or under an order under the Surface Rights Act, or
- the person is hunting game birds with a shotgun under the authority of a licence.
Note: if there is no identifiable ditch or fence to mark the outside edge of the roadway, then the roadway extends 20 feet from the edge of the traveled portion."

Neil
Old 10-29-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus32 View Post

Classic example of a lowest common denominator type trying to exploit a "perceived" loop hole with a BS explanation....those guys are not hunters they are poachers and trespassers.

LC
Old 10-29-2014, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
New Albertans
Alberta outdoorsman
wild tv

3 reasons why hunting has changed here.... and not for the better in my opinion.

Its a double edged sword isn't it....
Other factors include:

Harsh Back to Back Winters
Too much access to wilderness areas through O&G developments
Way tooooo many wolves and Coyotes
Old 10-29-2014, 12:51 PM

Not to mention an over inflated draw system...

Neil
Old 11-04-2014, 08:17 AM

Dealing with 3 truck hunters that keep tresspassing and taking off. What is up with these people. Attempting to shooting deer from the road and knowing that you don't have access to the land your shooting the deer at?

Ruined two hunts this week with them driving into the field edge and shining the lights.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:55 AM
Banned

People are lazy, they didn't do any pre season scouting so there just going to drive till they see something, legal or otherwise because no one figures they'll ever get caught... This may not be the norm with real hunters but unfortunately I believe the majority who buy a tag hunt this way.... it's pretty sad because we all get painted with that brush and someday the rights we have left will be taken away.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgsgw View Post
People are lazy, they didn't do any pre season scouting so there just going to drive till they see something, legal or otherwise because no one figures they'll ever get caught... This may not be the norm with real hunters but unfortunately I believe the majority who buy a tag hunt this way.... it's pretty sad because we all get painted with that brush and someday the rights we have left will be taken away.
The farmer told one guy why does he not hunt the deer? The truck hunter said, I am. The farmer replied, like in a treestand or blind or something. Put some effort in.

It is sad but I have exclusive access to the area based on the bad behaviour of others. Leave a gate open, tresspass, lie to the farmer....what is up with people? Some people have no honour.