Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Do you think another deal will ever be cut over the hydro issue, or is Newfoundland hooped on this one?
I think the terms expire at some point but not soon.

We're actually opening a 2nd hydro development and hence a 2nd contract. Quebec will still make a profit by doing essentially nothing but it won't be as big this time.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Do you think another deal will ever be cut over the hydro issue, or is Newfoundland hooped on this one?
Newfoundland is hooped on that one, think it's been through the courts twice over the last few decades and it was upheld as a valid contract. Imagine, 25 cents per KWH til 2016 then 20 cents for the last of the contract...

Yeah, we love quebecors with a passion...
Old 09-04-2012, 04:32 PM

Should or do we really have to give a rat's patoot? Hopefully they will leave, and the rest of us can be at peace for a change, to a point where we can get the rest of our country happening, as it should.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Newfoundland is hooped on that one, think it's been through the courts twice over the last few decades and it was upheld as a valid contract. Imagine, 25 cents per KWH til 2016 then 20 cents for the last of the contract...

Yeah, we love quebecors with a passion...
You may want to check your math. $2/MEGAwatthour which is .2 cents/KWH, not 20 cents. Contract ends in 2016 but there is an automatic renewal clause to 2041, no negotiating allowed, no signatures required.

So, $2/MWH purchase price and resale in 2003 was $85/MWH. Churchill Falls generates over 5,400 MW every hour, 24/7/365.

What's really sad is that NL will not be able to cover operating expenses at $2 and will have to cover them from other revenue.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie View Post
You may want to check your math. $2/MEGAwatthour which is .2 cents/KWH, not 20 cents. Contract ends in 2016 but there is an automatic renewal clause to 2041, no negotiating allowed, no signatures required.

So, $2/MWH purchase price and resale in 2003 was $85/MWH. Churchill Falls generates over 5,400 MW every hour, 24/7/365.

What's really sad is that NL will not be able to cover operating expenses at $2 and will have to cover them from other revenue.
Whatever, they are still getting it pretty much free and making a killing off churchill... Thank you Joey Smallwood for all your special dealings.

Let's just say that all 10 provinces need to sign on the dotted line for any constitutional agreement to be made - for or against Quebec. it'll be a cold day in hell before that happens.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:50 PM

Can't really blame them for wanting to seperate, big difference between our cultures, we would both be better off for it. Quebec would have no choice but to pull up there socks without Alberta's money and in a generation or two would be better off then now. They could be the richest province in Canada with what they have going for them. If Alberta had the chance to seperate and it meant we would be dirt poor because of it I would still want to seperate. Alberta was a better place to live prior to the money anyways.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:56 PM

I dont want Quebec to seperate. I think it will be bad for the country, but I'm tired of dealing with this spoiled child.

If it isn't about leaving the country, and just a ploy to get more... call their bluff and hand them a detailed plan of how Canada will withdraw all support and infrastructure over a short period of time.

If they want to be on their own, give them a taste of what it will be like.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Banned

Polls close at 6 PM Alberta time. I can't believe i'm actually looking forward to the results of a Quebec election. Bwahahahah

Old 09-04-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy37 View Post
I dont want Quebec to seperate. I think it will be bad for the country, but I'm tired of dealing with this spoiled child.

If it isn't about leaving the country, and just a ploy to get more... call their bluff and hand them a detailed plan of how Canada will withdraw all support and infrastructure over a short period of time.

If they want to be on their own, give them a taste of what it will be like.
X2

I think separating would make us all weaker in the end. But Quebec definately needs to bend over Canada's knee.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Polls close at 6 PM Alberta time. I can't believe i'm actually looking forward to the results of a Quebec election. Bwahahahah

X2

Going to be interesting. I hope that fuzzy headed qtip Charest gets the boot.

Where is our 'ol lefty buddy Roadkill?
Old 09-04-2012, 06:44 PM

So what happens to their portion of the national debt when they depart? They get to keep all federally owned property such as national parks, military installations and equipment, federally funded infrastructure projects etc etc but what about red ink? Do they carry 1/10 of the provinces? Is it done by population? Or more likely a big goose egg?
Old 09-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
So what happens to their portion of the national debt when they depart? They get to keep all federally owned property such as national parks, military installations and equipment, federally funded infrastructure projects etc etc but what about red ink? Do they carry 1/10 of the provinces? Is it done by population? Or more likely a big goose egg?
They aren't departing. Read this thread, you'll understand...

PQ is in the lead, could be a majority tonite.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:23 PM

It is my belief that any referendum in Quebec regarding seperation from Canada should be completed on a municipality by municipality basis. If Canada is divisiable, so is Quebec. I expect that such a process would result in the new Republic of Quebec being a small sliver of land along the St. Laurence seaway. It is quite clear that the municipalities in northern Quebec have no interest in leaving Canada. Canada has an obligation the citizens living in those areas to ensure they are not forced to become part of a county they do not wish to belong to.

I am an ardent Quebec separtist. The sooner we deal with these whining malcontents the better. They will never be satified. I completely fed up with them setting the agenda on this matter. I am all for retaining the services of a group of hard core political scientists, economists and lawyers to set out the exact terms of seperation that would be acceptable to the rest of Canada. I think it is important that Quebec clearly understands that the decisions on how seperation will be accomplished will not be left entirely up to them. It should be made clear that Canada will require them to assume their share of the federal debt. It should also be made clear that a majority vote for seperation in Quebec does not mean that the entirety of the province would be bound by the vote.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhawk View Post
It is my belief that any referendum in Quebec regarding seperation from Canada should be completed on a municipality by municipality basis. If Canada is divisiable, so is Quebec. I expect that such a process would result in the new Republic of Quebec being a small sliver of land along the St. Laurence seaway. It is quite clear that the municipalities in northern Quebec have no interest in leaving Canada. Canada has an obligation the citizens living in those areas to ensure they are not forced to become part of a county they do not wish to belong to.

I am an ardent Quebec separtist. The sooner we deal with these whining malcontents the better. They will never be satified. I completely fed up with them setting the agenda on this matter. I am all for retaining the services of a group of hard core political scientists, economists and lawyers to set out the exact terms of seperation that would be acceptable to the rest of Canada. I think it is important that Quebec clearly understands that the decisions on how seperation will be accomplished will not be left entirely up to them. It should be made clear that Canada will require them to assume their share of the federal debt. It should also be made clear that a majority vote for seperation in Quebec does not mean that the entirety of the province would be bound by the vote.
This is a discussion that needs to be had, no way the federalists there will go down without a whimper. If they do separate I would fear a Que. civil war, or the resurfacing of terrorism. Sadly no one wants to have the discussion because they fear it will inflame the situation.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Where is our 'ol lefty buddy Roadkill?
Why have you awoken me from my slumber?

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:32 PM

It's not going to be a majority, and with two federalist parties making up so much of the floor, there won't be a referendum any time soon. Hell, the government probably won't stand for very long. I get the dismal feeling that we're going to be headed for another election once the PQ's first budget comes up.

This is the best result we could have hoped for, once one gets past the dismal taste of the words 'PQ victory.' Marois won't be able to get anything done, so we're not going to see any major changes in terms of her godsawful secularism proposal or any real movement towards sovereignty. The other two parties will eventually bring the PQ down, saying that they've been a lame-duck government, and maybe the CAQ will have proven itself to be better than they sound.

But really? Jean Charest is over 2,000 votes behind in his own riding. I can't think of anything better right now.

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:53 PM

Pavement Pelt.......yer back!

Forget the stupid election. Ain't nuthin' gonna change anyway.

Hows the spawn? Any big plans for hunting season?
Old 09-04-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Pavement Pelt.......yer back!

Forget the stupid election. Ain't nuthin' gonna change anyway.

Hows the spawn? Any big plans for hunting season?
yeah. Been busy. Like, first-year father busy. I wish that AO was one of the forums on Tapatalk. I'd be able to be around more.

As for the Squirt, she's huge. Started daycare last Monday; by Friday she'd brought home a cold and we were all sick. Sheesh...

But it's been an amazing year.

I built a new stand at our deer spot. Hoping to finally get a little success this year. Don't have the $ to go to Gaspesie for moose this time 'round, though

For *next* season, I'm going to buy one of those big bags of seeds and see if I can't get a little plot of deer kryptonite going.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
They aren't departing. Read this thread, you'll understand...

PQ is in the lead, could be a majority tonite.
Read the thread and watch the news, it was a what if question. Should have been more specific
Old 09-04-2012, 09:31 PM

Overall, I am happy with the results.
Thrilled that Jean Charest is gone.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 09-04-2012, 09:35 PM

I don't think it's going to happen. They're just making the same ruff ruff noise trying to get more from us.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
Why have you awoken me from my slumber?
I missed ya!

Always good to hear some comentary from a local.

Good luck this season.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
I missed ya!

Always good to hear some comentary from a local.

Good luck this season.
I wish I could be around more. I don't get a whole lot of computer time these days.

But yeah: When I went to bed last night, projections were for 57 PQ seats, one man was dead and another was in critical condition, and I was hoping to the gods that the asshat with the gun wasn't an Anglo.

This morning, the PQ has 54 seats, there's one man dead and another in critical condition, and I'm thanking the gods that the asshat with the gun isn't an Anglo.

That there is the silver lining in the mushroom cloud.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
I wish I could be around more. I don't get a whole lot of computer time these days.

But yeah: When I went to bed last night, projections were for 57 PQ seats, one man was dead and another was in critical condition, and I was hoping to the gods that the asshat with the gun wasn't an Anglo.

This morning, the PQ has 54 seats, there's one man dead and another in critical condition, and I'm thanking the gods that the asshat with the gun isn't an Anglo.

That there is the silver lining in the mushroom cloud.

You definitely need to bargain for some more computer time.
My brain would explode less around here...

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 09-05-2012, 09:43 AM

It's ok Arachno, you will manage to survive us right-wing nutcases.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
It's ok Arachno, you will manage to survive us right-wing nutcases.
I'm hanging in there so far!

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca