Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
There certainly has been a trend since the new sheriff in town assumed a role in moderating.

Too bad actually.
I'm sure all these people that don't like the way I moderate this place could all complain to the admin and have me removed, then it could go back to the way it was- if you like the way it was.
I think there are a lot of people who are opposite to what some here think however.
Cat
Old 03-10-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
There certainly has been a trend since the new sheriff in town assumed a role in moderating.

Too bad actually.
you are right about that
Old 03-10-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I'm sure all these people that don't like the way I moderate this place could all complain to the admin and have me removed, then it could go back to the way it was- if you like the way it was.
I think there are a lot of people who are opposite to what some here think however.
Cat
Ok, I make the motion that we vote to out Dave.

(then maybe he will have time to come fishing this summer in BC)

Just kidding buddy. You do a wonderful job, and your knowledge is required here. It is a thankless thing you do, keep it up. And come fishing.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
I am surprised to see Waterninja is one
He got pretty nasty on the outfitter thread, pretty sure that got him a time out.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:29 AM

Looks like a few folks may want to fill this form out and submit to Admin.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HurtFeelingsReport_zps3b998864.jpg (58.4 KB, 241 views)
Old 03-10-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma1 View Post
I used to have the upmost respect for how the forum ran until a thread I was participating on got locked.
.....Was all fun and games until I got told to follow the rules!
Old 03-10-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
I was looking at old threads and lots of guys that have over 1000 posts or have been here for the past 10 years are either all banned or suspended. What is going on?! Something I don't know about? Haha
Its kind of like if you were to come over to my house

My house , my rules ; follow the rules , stay as long as you like and have a nice visit. If you choose not to follow the rules please feel free to leave or i will remove you

Its not rocket science
Old 03-10-2017, 09:40 AM

I think Catnthehat does a good job of moderating.

I feel that perhaps those who are all derrière bruised, should maybe read the big banner at the top of the page. How some of these threads even remotely tie into the founding premis of this board is mind boggling.

Don't like how this place is managed, look over there... it's the door.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-10-2017, 09:42 AM

The forum is privately owned, so the owner gets to set the rules, and to choose who he wants to enforce them, so if you can't accept that, you are free to join another forum, or start your own forum. Some people have been banned here and elsewhere, under several usernames, and other people came here after being banned elsewhere, so it's not that this forum is any different than most as far as banning goes. And if it seems like a moderator is letting his emotions effect his actions, just remember, the mods are humans, and that is part of being human.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:51 AM

Is there a list of bad boys or do you just wake up one day and you're there? I noticed last week Grizz was suspended but could still play in the sandbox. Are there carved stone tablets somewhere that explain the lines not to cross and the severity of the punishment?
Old 03-10-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Is there a list of bad boys or do you just wake up one day and you're there? I noticed last week Grizz was suspended but could still play in the sandbox. Are there carved stone tablets somewhere that explain the lines not to cross and the severity of the punishment?
Really, is that a serious question?
Old 03-10-2017, 10:03 AM
Banned

Listed as a sticky on all categories except buy and sell. Its management’s discretion on how points are awarded. We as unofficial stake holders can influence through participation.

I like the rules unfortunately I will and have been guilty.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:06 AM

In the last month or so it appears alot of users get angry right quick.
Cabin fever?

The Cook, in the general section at the top is a sticky with the rules. No guidelines for what you will get for infractions. Mod discreation on that .

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 03-10-2017, 10:08 AM

Default Yup must be a conspiracy

5500 posts 193 feedbacks over 8 years and I am still here without suspension or banning. Maybe there is a reason some get suspended and banned besides longevity? Not a casual decision no matter who the mods are.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:10 AM

The province must be in the middle of a late cold snap or something? As a guy who's been around this site longer than I remember, I see a familiar cycle happening again. Group of guys gets too comfortable, mods drop hammer on group to correct the course, remaining members of group **** and moan about how mean the mods are, a mod or two step down because the pay sucks and they aren't feeling appreciated, and a new group of future chit disturbers start getting comfortable.

You're doing fine, mods. All of you. And nobody is forcing the bellyachers to stick around either.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:11 AM

The mods do a good job of keeping things in check. To many here it seems can't even have a conversation about an opposing view point. Instead of taking the time to learn why that person feels the way they do, the posters instantly attack like ravaging hyena's. Sad really
Old 03-10-2017, 10:11 AM

Moderating is thankless work....not my cup of tea but I surely appreciate those that take time out of their lives to do it for the benefit of all (or most).
Old 03-10-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrapper View Post
Really, is that a serious question?
I've read the rules and think I abide by them, I guess what I'm asking is how do I know why SO&SO got banned or suspended. You know that old saying "Learn from others mistakes"
Old 03-10-2017, 10:14 AM
Gone Hunting

I wonder how many realize the reason a thread was closed may not be apparent because that reason may have been deleted by a moderator.

It's part of a moderators mandate to delete offensive posts, and it may be required on less offensive posts that violated the rules.

Most importantly it is NOT part of a moderators mandate to explain his decisions to every member who wants to know why he did what he did.

Most of the time moderators will explain, but they do so of their own volition, not because they are required to.

Some of you talk as though you think Rob and his staff are incompetent.

You do know that Rob is a member of this, his, forum and he keeps in touch even when not directly involved.

Rob and his staff know what goes on in here, The moderators are not acting unilaterally. And they don't have the final say. Rob and admin have the final say.

It has never made sense to me how some members think they should be running this forum. It's not their forum, they do nothing to make it better, and still they think they know better than those who ROB and ADMN chose to police this forum FOR THE SAKE OF ALL.

I've been on forums where the monkeys ran the zoo. They are not fun places, and they don't last.

We have a good thing here, thanks to Rob, his staff and his volunteers.

Why would anyone want to undermine that?

One last thing, don't put too much time into worrying about the number of users who got banned.
A lot of those you see on the lists are not people, they are spam bots.

When I was moderating I was banning anywhere from two to ten spam bots a day.

Also, keep in mind that there ARE members of PETA and like organizations who are members here.

Some of you may remember one individual who openly stated that he was a member of such a group.
I no longer remember the name of the thread he participated in but I'm sure many of you will know what I'm talking about.

It was no accident he showed up when he did. Think about that.

Now, when you pick a fight with someone, when you violate the rules, you are doing exactly what those moles from PETA are here to do.
You are doing their work for them, making their lives a whole lot easier and the moderators jobs a whole lot harder.

It's impossible to know who is here just to cause trouble when everyone is doing it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-10-2017, 10:16 AM
Banned

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
5500 posts 193 feedbacks over 8 years and I am still here without suspension or banning. Maybe there is a reason some get suspended and banned besides longevity? Not a casual decision no matter who the mods are.

Don't count Rob , you are a sponser , makes a difference , sponsers don't get suspended.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
You pay to be here?
That's interesting.........
Cat
Nope. But some of us have been long-term subscribers to AO magazine and have been handing our money over to Rob for years. It's a little frustrating to be treated in a petty manner here. I'm not saying to ignore boorish behavior, but perhaps admin and mods should realize that some members actually ARE paying customers. Your comment above suggests forum members aren't thought of that way. Frankly, I thought long and hard about renewing my subscription a couple weeks ago, and it had nothing to do with the publication itself. It had to do with the interaction I've had here on the forum.

With regard to Mods participating in and shutting down threads and the criticism voiced earlier about it, Mods have to be careful.. It often LOOKS like they are shutting down things when they encounter opinions not in agreement with their own (I don't know that this is true at all. It can just have the appearance of this). I think it's an art to be able to participate and moderate at the same time. If a Mod is going to participate in a thread, perhaps they need to be more generous about letting it run on or refrain a bit more from jumping in and saying someone else's post is a derail. Threads are organic things. They are going to branch off in different ways. If no one else is interested in that particular branch, it dies quickly on it's own.

So let me also offer a compliment. Insults and truly offensive behavior is jumped on much faster now. Two thumbs up for that. I've learned some things personally from the "corrections" I've received over the years as well. And it's true nobody hass a "right" to be here. We all just need to try to get along.

Ok, now lets all hold hands and.... LOL

Last edited by Okotokian; 03-10-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegriver View Post
i wonder how many realize the reason a thread was closed may not be apparent because that reason may have been deleted by a moderator.

It's part of a moderators mandate to delete offensive posts, and it may be required on less offensive posts that violated the rules.

Most importantly it is not part of a moderators mandate to explain his decisions to every member who wants to know why he did what he did.

Most of the time moderators will explain, but they do so of their own volition, not because they are required to.

Some of you talk as though you think rob and his staff are incompetent.

You do know that rob is a member of this, his, forum and he keeps in touch even when not directly involved.

Rob and his staff know what goes on in here, the moderators are not acting unilaterally. And they don't have the final say. Rob and admin have the final say.

It has never made sense to me how some members think they should be running this forum. It's not their forum, they do nothing to make it better, and still they think they know better than those who rob and admn chose to police this forum for the sake of all.

I've been on forums where the monkeys ran the zoo. They are not fun places, and they don't last.

We have a good thing here, thanks to rob, his staff and his volunteers.

One last thing, don't put too much time into worrying about the number of users who got banned.

When i was moderating i was banning anywhere from two to ten spam bots a day.

Also, keep in mind that there are members of peta and like organizations who are members here.

Some of you may remember one individual who openly stated that he was a member of such a group.
I no longer remember the name of the thread he participated in but i'm sure many of you will know what i'm talking about.

Now, when you pick a fight with someone, when you violate the rules, you are doing exactly what those moles from peta are here to do.
You are doing their work for them, making their lives a whole lot easier and the moderators jobs a whole lot harder.

It's impossible to know who is here just to cause trouble when everyone is doing it.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Nope. But some of us have been long-term subscribers to AO magazine and have been handing our money over to Rob for years. It's a little frustrating to be treated in a petty manner here. I'm not saying to ignore boorish behavior, but perhaps admin and mods should realize that some members actually ARE paying customers. Your comment above suggests forum members aren't thought of that way. Frankly, I thought long and hard about renewing my subscription a couple weeks ago, and it had nothing to do with the publication itself. It had to do with the interaction I've had here on the forum.

With regard to Mods participating in and shutting down threads and the criticism voiced earlier about it, Mods have to be careful.. It often LOOKS like they are shutting down things when they encounter opinions not in agreement with their own (I don't know that this is true at all. It can just have the appearance of this). I think it's an art to be able to participate and moderate at the same time. If a Mod is going to participate in a thread, perhaps they need to be more generous about letting it run on or refrain a bit more from jumping in and saying someone else's post is a derail. Threads are organic things. They are going to branch off in different ways. If no one else is interested in that particular branch, it dies quickly on it's own.

So let me also offer a compliment. Insults and truly offensive behavior is jumped on much faster now. Two thumbs up for that. I've learned some things personally from the "corrections" I've received over the years as well.
good post I to support the magazine
Old 03-10-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Don't count Rob , you are a sponser , makes a difference , sponsers don't get suspended.
If that was true would it not say SPONSOR under my name like all the other sponsors who have a specific area for advertising under sponsor forums?
Old 03-10-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Nope. But some of us have been long-term subscribers to AO magazine and have been handing our money over to Rob for years. It's a little frustrating to be treated in a petty manner here. I'm not saying to ignore boorish behavior, but perhaps admin and mods should realize that some members actually ARE paying customers. Your comment above suggests forum members aren't thought of that way. Frankly, I thought long and hard about renewing my subscription a couple weeks ago, and it had nothing to do with the publication itself. It had to do with the interaction I've had here on the forum. Something to chew on.

So let me also offer a compliment. Insults and truly offensive behavior is jumped on much faster now. Two thumbs up for that. I've learned some things personally from the "corrections" over the years as well.
No offence at al but I think companies like this one need our help more than ever. True Outdoors people, hunters, fishers, trappers, backcountry campers, etc are getting beat up on like never before. Magazines, etc like this that are like minded help us all in many seen and unseen ways. A little hurt feelings for a few days shouldn't change that. Just my humble opinion.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrapper View Post
No offence at al but I think companies like this one need our help more than ever. True Outdoors people, hunters, fishers, trappers, backcountry campers, etc are getting beat up on like never before. Magazines, etc like this that are like minded help us all in many seen and unseen ways. A little hurt feelings for a few days shouldn't change that. Just my humble opinion.
Agree, and I did "re-up" for a few more years.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskinner View Post
Explain my 10,000+ posts, 29 positive trader rating, and nothing more than a few watch your step reminders from the over seers? That's since 2007 alone, I was on the original board too.

Don't be one of those guys who lives on the line, and maybe you'll not cross the line so much.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-10-2017, 10:30 AM

Mods do a good job, it could be a full time job some days. Mods like Cat have been around long enough to know the usual suspects when it comes to trolling and pot stirring. They also know how to spot those with multiple names. Certainly that holds value, its a free forum and it is what we make of it.

LC
Old 03-10-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I wonder how many realize the reason a thread was closed may not be apparent because that reason may have been deleted by a moderator.

Most importantly it is NOT part of a moderators mandate to explain his decisions to every member who wants to know why he did what he did.

Some of you talk as though you think Rob and his staff are incompetent.

You do know that Rob is a member of this, his, forum and he keeps in touch even when not directly involved.

Rob and his staff know what goes on in here, The moderators are not acting unilaterally. And they don't have the final say. Rob and admin have the final say.

It has never made sense to me how some members think they should be running this forum. It's not their forum, they do nothing to make it better, and still they think they know better than those who ROB and ADMN chose to police this forum FOR THE SAKE OF ALL.

We have a good thing here, thanks to Rob, his staff and his volunteers.

When I was moderating I was banning anywhere from two to ten spam bots a day.

Also, keep in mind that there ARE members of PETA and like organizations who are members here.

I no longer remember the name of the thread he participated in but I'm sure many of you will know what I'm talking about.

Now, when you pick a fight with someone, when you violate the rules, you are doing exactly what those moles from PETA are here to do.

Enough said! As far as I'm concerned they could close this thread right here! GN
Old 03-10-2017, 10:35 AM
Gone Hunting

I am sure that those who get their arses booted knowingly push the upper limits, and in their "enthusiam" end up going beyond. Well done mods!!!!!