Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-10-2012, 07:59 AM

what style blade does the stihl auger use?
Old 03-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Actually that auger is Awsome that Geezle has..almost convinced me to buy an Eskimo...he must have easiy drilled a thousand or so hole in the past 2years. It died once on the ice last year, we took it apart, cleaned out the plug, tweeted it a little and it has been flawless ever since....but I am going Stihl. I love the wrap around roll cage, the way the throttle is built into the handle, the splines auger bit connection, the easily adjustable carb, the transmission break, gear case lubrication check port, it's made to last, or be fixed/ adjusted in the Bush by the operated. I also love that the Stihl dealers have Stihl technicians on site. I also love that Stihl uses ony Stihl components made in Germany with certain parts made in the Stihl Factories in the United.STATES. These drills are planting trees in Africa, and drilling holes in the Artic. Any way it's the drill I am getting and just wanted to chat with guys who have used them, which now I have. Seems they were all in the boat I am. Tried of issues with the usual suspects. So far no issues with the Stihls under any conditions. I'm glad people are having great success with various brands, but knowing me, this unit will suit my needs best. Again thanks for all the input, knowledge and experience is Awsome!
Glad its working out for him, like I said it started like a dream and the Viper motor makes plenty of torque. The Jiffy equivilent that I replaced it with takes a special touch to start sometimes and is more prone to powering out if you dont keep the rpms up but it seems like a far more rugged design. Just hoping that by the time it craps the bed someone will be making a decent auger for a decent price again.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
what style blade does the stihl auger use?
Stihl STYLE! Not 100% what you mean by style...I just really like the splines on the shafts which interlock with the receiver. On the bit, then just a snap ring type locking pin to keep it all together so all the torque is directly transfered from shafts to bit, not through the the locking pin.
http://www.lakesimcoemessageboard.co...hp?topic=833.0

This thread might answers your question....yes Stihl does make an ice bit.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Stihl STYLE! Not 100% what you mean by style...I just really like the splines on the shafts which interlock with the receiver. On the bit, then just a snap ring type locking pin to keep it all together so all the torque is directly transfered from shafts to bit, not through the the locking pin.
http://www.lakesimcoemessageboard.co...hp?topic=833.0

This thread might answers your question....yes Stihl does make an ice bit.
Some blades shave the ice and some blades chip the ice. The shaving blades are usually curved and the chipping blades are straight.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
Some blades shave the ice and some blades chip the ice. The shaving blades sometime break through the ice and get hopelessly jammed while the chipping blades merely catch and power out on the break through if your too rammy.
There, fixed that for you lol. Never had the chipping style blades get stuck downhole like I've had the shaving blades do sometimes. True it was opperator error and could be avoided by not being so rammy and pulling the auger up to clear the ice chips a couple times before breaking through on a deep hole, but I've never managed to get the chipping style blades stuck.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:08 PM

Default Stihl

I do have a STHIL powerhead, with both Ice Auger and Earth bits.

It is spendy, but I've been very pleased with the performance of the unit. You can lean on the unit at full throttle and not power out.

I like the ergonomics better than other models, and do like the brake system.

Starting was a slight issue initially, but like many 2 strokes, it's just a matter of figuring out what choke position works at the particular temperature you're working at.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
There, fixed that for you lol. Never had the chipping style blades get stuck downhole like I've had the shaving blades do sometimes. True it was opperator error and could be avoided by not being so rammy and pulling the auger up to clear the ice chips a couple times before breaking through on a deep hole, but I've never managed to get the chipping style blades stuck.
hahaha thanks, that was actually exactly what I was thinking.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:11 PM

Ihave one 10inches Iusing for dirt and ice i lkike the clucht option on the drill works good