Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: DO YOU READ THE REG'S? (sneaky poll)
Yes, always 168 87.96%
What Reg's? 9 4.71%
GFYSBG (null) 14 7.33%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2013, 12:39 PM

I only fish a few lakes, so I read the info for the area I fish, couldn't really be bothered about the rest of the lakes I will never visit. I do keep a copy of the regs in the tackle box if I go camping away from home though.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:40 PM

I'm anal retentive about the regs. A number of years ago, now, I didn't pay enough attention to how them. I made a mistake, based on my location; and got nailed for it. It was a valuable lesson -- probably worth more than the fine that I paid. Now, I at least triple-check, for anywhere I go.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 03-24-2013, 03:19 PM

Default fishing bible.

My regs are my fishing bible... want a good suggestion to stop complaining about fishing the bow..... don't fish it
Old 03-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHOOCH View Post
Always Always read the regs especially when my wife is asking me to vacuum or something like that!!!!!! I agree that the bow is quite nasty from time to time when im bouncing a nymph thats why i live for tossing dry flies especially on there.
There are clean areas below Southlands....so its not too bad.

Does anyone know why the river cleans up from Southlands to Fish crk area....I've asked a few peeps but no one knows. I even asked F&W.

I'll lay odds that Mr Bee knows???? hehehe smirk
Old 03-24-2013, 04:04 PM
Banned

no idea
Old 03-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
no idea
DARNIT!!!!!!

My guess is that with all the bends it just gets washed out on the banks???
Old 03-24-2013, 04:16 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
For me...IMO
A true blue ribbon water system would be clean enough to be able to eat the fish.
Im guessing the Bow became blue ribbon quality because no one in their right mind would eat a fish from there.....ergo....more breeding power = more fishy's.
The Bow has ruined my fly line (severely cracked)
I was told to clean my line after a few uses on the Bow.
High saline content was the reason for cleaning.
At Southlands....my waders got disgustingly smelly after a day of fishing there
So, you fish???
I had no idea. You've started 90 threads in the 3 months since you joined the forum covering every topic from arseholes to appetites, yet not one fishing report, IIRC. Of course, with 944 posts(maybe a couple more since I started typing this) in those 3 months, I'm not sure you leave the keyboard long enough to wet a line...

Edit- just checked, you only had 1 more post while I typed this out...
Old 03-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
So, you fish???
I had no idea. You've started 90 threads in the 3 months since you joined the forum covering every topic from arseholes to appetites, yet not one fishing report, IIRC. Of course, with 944 posts(maybe a couple more since I started typing this) in those 3 months, I'm not sure you leave the keyboard long enough to wet a line...

Edit- just checked, you only had 1 more post while I typed this out...
Thanks for the fan mail lil dipper....
Are you the President of the MtnGiant fan club?
You know so little if you are....maybe a lower ranking position is available for you?
Follow me a little closer and it'll answer your questions to post in the nxt newsletter hahahahahahahahahaha
Old 03-24-2013, 04:28 PM

Play nice, boys.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 03-24-2013, 04:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Play nice, boys.
You shoulda read my first draft hahahahahaha

But you are right
Old 03-24-2013, 04:39 PM

Smile

Quote:
Thanks for the fan mail lil dipper....
Are you the President of the MtnGiant fan club?
You know so little if you are....maybe a lower ranking position is available for you?
Follow me a little closer and it'll answer your questions to post in the nxt newsletter hahahahahahahahahaha

"lil dipper"???
Jaysus, now I'm thinking you may be one of my ex-girlfriends!

Sorry if you read a little more into my previous post than I actually meant by it.
I was just curious about what kinda fishing you do & if we could actually expect some fishing reports/pics from you sometime?

Sorry for the derail, Beeguy.
(Not really...)
Old 03-24-2013, 04:40 PM
Banned

hahaha
Old 03-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
"lil dipper"???
Jaysus, now I'm thinking you may be one of my ex-girlfriends!

Sorry if you read a little more into my previous post than I actually meant by it.
I was just curious about what kinda fishing you do & if we could actually expect some fishing reports/pics from you sometime?

Sorry for the derail, Beeguy.
(Not really...)

I have posted a pic of ice fishin a few mnths ago w/ Wayne Christie.
Most ice fishn this yr was at Spray.
Other than that....I spend most of my time on the Bow and the Livingstone River on wknds when open.
I ice fish, fly fish, river drift fish, lake fish.
Mostly fly fishing since moving here but a little spin casting.
I mostly dont post pics cause its a bit of a pain.
But I see you've mastered the pic dept.
I'll post more with more practice on the laptop.
Is this enough for ya for now?
Oh ya.....you forgot to ask what my last handle was on here hahahaha

And for hunting or firearms side....
I have handguns (revolvers and semi auto)
rifles, shotguns and an assault style semi auto for kicks.

And my fave of all....a Hoyt compound w/ Gold Tip arrows ONLY

Last edited by MtnGiant; 03-24-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:43 PM

I just watch the board, if there are any changes I should know about, somebody will be bitching about it.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Banned

It's probably better that I don't read the regs. Another lake lost to the fish huggers for the sake of making it easier for them to catch big fish. Beaver Lake went from a 2 fish retention to a C&R lake. I don't fish it thank God but this trend really has me concerned. Dolberg Lake, one that I do fish and already contains "quality" fish, is currently on the list to be turned into a "Quality" fishery. So there you go, turn a lake into a "Quality" fishery, complain that the fish aren't growing big enough, and then turn it into a C&R fishery.

"The harvest of Rainbow Trout from Beaver Lake (ES2), designated as a quality Stocked Fishery (QSF), was too high under the previous 2 fish bag limit and the QSF goal to achieve at least 10% of fish being larger than 50 cm was not being met. Following public consultation, a zero limit is being implemented to meet the goal."

Yeah, right.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
It's probably better that I don't read the regs. Another lake lost to the fish huggers for the sake of making it easier for them to catch big fish. Beaver Lake went from a 2 fish retention to a C&R lake. I don't fish it thank God but this trend really has me concerned. Dolberg Lake, one that I do fish and already contains "quality" fish, is currently on the list to be turned into a "Quality" fishery. So there you go, turn a lake into a "Quality" fishery, complain that the fish aren't growing big enough, and then turn it into a C&R fishery.

"The harvest of Rainbow Trout from Beaver Lake (ES2), designated as a quality Stocked Fishery (QSF), was too high under the previous 2 fish bag limit and the QSF goal to achieve at least 10% of fish being larger than 50 cm was not being met. Following public consultation, a zero limit is being implemented to meet the goal."

Yeah, right.
Do ya really gotta keep em Dave? Are ya that hungry.

Fishing in Alberta ain't Ontario. It ain't fish huggers its a fragile fishery in Alberta. Go back to Ontario.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 03-24-2013, 07:30 PM

Default They aren't that "edible" anyway(?)

Quote:

Yeah, right.
None of us "need" those fish as food, in the sustenance sense, and they really aren't that good in taste terms anyway. If one is a food fisherman, one is in the wrong place (?).
How does the thread about observance (or not) of the regulations turn into one about whether or not to eat your catch, anyway?
When I moved to Alberta, from Nova Scotia, I was not used to a "large" reg booklet, and, in 1982, when I purchased my first Alberta license and headed out to the foothills, by myself, to pursue some trout fishing, the person who sold me the license neglected to thrust a copy of the regs at me. So, when I was back at my (very minimal, I couldn't afford much "gear" in those days) campsite frying up a couple of those trout in the evening, I got talking to one of the other campers, who pointed out, very politely, that they had been caught in streams that were closed at present, and were otherwise "illegal". Didn't make them taste any better or worse - they were no NS brookie quality in those terms. Guess I was lucky I didn't "get caught"(?). Guess that's why, to my immense surprise, there was no one else out fishing those streams at the time (?). I just assumed that I could go catch trout, and eat them, in the "wilderness" as such.
Since then I have always made a point of getting the regs and observing them very strictly, not to mention insisting that my fishing companions do so, and occasionally pointing them out to others in the vicinity who appear to be completely ignorant of them. Much less excuse for not doing so now, as they are available both printed and web. And, if I don't always think they are "rational", then I have the option to easily contact the regulators and make my point, which I do on occasion. I suspect that has more potential impact than whining about it here (?).
Old 03-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Do ya really gotta keep em Dave? Are ya that hungry.

Fishing in Alberta ain't Ontario. It ain't fish huggers its a fragile fishery in Alberta. Go back to Ontario.
THAT sounds funny coming from someone who'll ........ Who are you trying to kid?

Any fish or game that I catch or shoot to eat is done legally and I only take what I'm going to eat, not kill as much as I can so it can freezer burn in my freezer. Maybe you could use a little of that ethic from someone from Ontario.

Maybe you shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house eh Wayne?

Last edited by HunterDave; 03-24-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:01 PM
Banned

Old 03-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Banned

I proudly wave the "Catch and Eat" (C&E) FLAG!!!!!!!!!!

Whether it be fishing or hunting....
Old 03-24-2013, 08:33 PM

I'm getting hungry now!
Old 03-24-2013, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchandeat View Post
I'm getting hungry now!
mmmmmmeeeeee tooooooo.
just had bbq chkn for dinna and Spray lake trout for lunch today.......sooooo goooooood.
And I'll be back at Spray nxt wknd for another meal.
It's alot more expensive to C&E.....but sooo worth it!!!!!!!

Oooops.....this should go in the whats for dinner thread hahahahahaha

BTW....Luv your handle
Old 03-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Banned

Derail just so ya know....

If people think that AB fisheries is so delicate.....then why do they keep fishing?????

If they think "catch n release" doesnt harm or kill fish......then reality is a fictional concept to them.

Have you seen the C&R areas fish quality?
And I mean the missing parts and scars on them.
Do you think its cool to keep catching the same fish?

Ya its fun but what about what is actually happening to the fish??????

rant rant rant....I could keep going if you like?
Old 03-24-2013, 09:14 PM

I just read the regulations for the first time today and just realized you can't keep sturgeon and bull trout.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacenbeers View Post
I just read the regulations for the first time today and just realized you can't keep sturgeon and bull trout.
Guess I won't be coming to your next bbq.

RIP the good ol'days
Old 03-24-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:

Yeah, right.
I wish we could get a couple more down here in the south.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-24-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Derail just so ya know....

If people think that AB fisheries is so delicate.....then why do they keep fishing?????

If they think "catch n release" doesnt harm or kill fish......then reality is a fictional concept to them.

Have you seen the C&R areas fish quality?
And I mean the missing parts and scars on them.
Do you think its cool to keep catching the same fish?

Ya its fun but what about what is actually happening to the fish??????

rant rant rant....I could keep going if you like?
The survival rate on c@r fish is actually lower than fish kept to eat.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
the survival rate on c@r fish is actually lower than fish kept to eat.
oh ya??????

Prove it!!!!!!

Old 03-24-2013, 09:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
The survival rate on c@r fish is actually lower than fish kept to eat.
+1
Old 03-24-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
the survival rate on c@r fish is actually lower than fish kept to eat.
lol