Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-15-2015, 11:07 AM

Save at least one good bull for me boys

Old 07-15-2015, 12:01 PM

How about this for everyone's pleasure? Draw Countdown
Old 07-15-2015, 12:27 PM

Default Draw results are up!!!

Quick sidetrack, is it actually a lottery style draw? For instance, if three people are in, two with priority 5 and one with priority 4, and they are only going to draw two, do the two fives get it 100% of the time? Or are their odds just better?

Thanks, I'm not sure how they actually do it.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeeensr View Post
Quick sidetrack, is it actually a lottery style draw? For instance, if three people are in, two with priority 5 and one with priority 4, and they are only going to draw two, do the two fives get it 100% of the time?
Yes. The highest priority does get drawn first. If there were 2 being drawn, and 1 P5 and 2 P4, then the P5 and one of the P4s would get it.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-15-2015, 12:45 PM
Banned

Everyone who's draw 10 or better should lose their priority or be automatically drawn.. thats crap. Its these people that are screwing it up for the rest of us, waiting for the perfect season to get a WR
Old 07-15-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
Everyone who's draw 10 or better should lose their priority or be automatically drawn.. thats crap. Its these people that are screwing it up for the rest of us, waiting for the perfect season to get a WR
I assume your comment is tongue in cheek?

When a person 999 a draw, they basically give up their spot in line for someone behind or equal to them....so if you are a low priority you should be happy someone who would draw before you is allowing you that opportunity

The system is a "wait in line" with an opt out option, how is that a bad thing? When a tag is pulled the priority resets...

So when they give out 5 sheep tags in a zone....the year 450 guys hit P10 they should hand out 455 tags?

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 07-15-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
how my friends uncles cousins daughter got screwed!!!
Now that's keeping it in the family !!:
Old 07-15-2015, 02:48 PM

Default Draw results are up!!!

Thanks for explaining that Alacringa, appreciate it.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

When a person 999 a draw, they basically give up their spot in line for someone behind or equal to them....so if you are a low priority you should be happy someone who would draw before you is allowing you that opportunity

The system is a "wait in line" with an opt out option, how is that a bad thing? When a tag is pulled the priority resets...

So when they give out 5 sheep tags in a zone....the year 450 guys hit P10 they should hand out 455 tags?

LC
X2

Old 07-15-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
My inside voice says what a dumb idea. Outside voice says you must of just learned about putting in for draws and are a priority 1.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:03 PM
Banned

Just waiting for a moose tag !!!
Old 07-15-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarki View Post
I'm hoping to NOT to be 1 of the 3 that didnt get drawn for whitetailed doe in wmu 108 like last year... and then they announce the Magrath cull in January where they give out another 250 doe tags...
YOU WERE ONE TOO!!! I wonder who the 3rd was lmao
Old 07-15-2015, 06:14 PM

Ha! i got flamed on here for suggesting that 3 more tags should have been issued. when they added the Magrath hunt I was extra choked... couldnt give out 3 more tags but another 250 get issued in January lol
Old 07-15-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
IMO the priority system has a magor flaw, it creates lineups to stand in due to point hoarding. Piles of half serious hunters stacking up point cause they dont care that they may only hunt that animal once or twice in their life. They dont do any reasearch, just ask for free advice on what to do with there priority 12..... It turns all the mediocre draws into p 3, 4, 6 just cause the lines are getting so long that its becoming unrealistic to be drawn. At least if it were lottery, and you wanna dream big you can chase that unicorn, put in for the long shot. In the mean time it would make it realistic for the folks that do there homework, are willing to hunt hard, figure it out, and put in their time to get drawn in the less than popular units.
Look at the draw reports there is always people putting in for draws with way more points than they needed to cause they dont know what to do with their points and every year it ups the anti. Just saying, the way its going everything will take 8,10,15 points.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
IMO the priority system has a magor flaw, it creates lineups to stand in due to point hoarding. Piles of half serious hunters stacking up point cause they dont care that they may only hunt that animal once or twice in their life. They dont do any reasearch, just ask for free advice on what to do with there priority 12..... It turns all the mediocre draws into p 3, 4, 6 just cause the lines are getting so long that its becoming unrealistic to be drawn. At least if it were lottery, and you wanna dream big you can chase that unicorn, put in for the long shot. In the mean time it would make it realistic for the folks that do there homework, are willing to hunt hard, figure it out, and put in their time to get drawn in the less than popular units.
Look at the draw reports there is always people putting in for draws with way more points than they needed to cause they dont know what to do with their points and every year it ups the anti. Just saying, the way its going everything will take 8,10,15 points.
How do you figure guys burning 12 priority points on a priority 4 hunt is limiting getting drawn? They could have had 4 tags in that amount of time.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
How do you figure guys burning 12 priority points on a priority 4 hunt is limiting getting drawn? They could have had 4 tags in that amount of time.
There is an influx of people with lots of points that dont even know what to do with them and the number is compounding yearly. It does matter that a guy burns a p 12 on a p4 hunt cause next year 4 people will do it and then the year after 10 will. Get it, its a growing problem? Expect the waits to get longer, what was a P 2 is now a p 5.....
Old 07-15-2015, 08:19 PM

Or we could go to BC's LEH system ....Buddy 1 never gets his Moose tag and Buddy 2 who is just lucky gets his every year....
I think were pretty darn Lucky to have the opportuinities we do have for hunting , but Husky 7MM you do bring up some good points..
Old 07-15-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
There is an influx of people with lots of points that dont even know what to do with them and the number is compounding yearly. It does matter that a guy burns a p 12 on a p4 hunt cause next year 4 people will do it and then the year after 10 will. Get it, its a growing problem? Expect the waits to get longer, what was a P 2 is now a p 5.....
So if they used there points appropriate to the draw,(p4-p4 priority) wait times would get shorter?
Old 07-15-2015, 08:45 PM
Banned

Arrow

Thought they might have let them out early; not for me anyhow.

Will check it out tomorrow
Old 07-15-2015, 09:15 PM

Default Draw results

The cover page on albertarelm now says that you can check your draw results but they are not actually up yet! I'm freaking out a little, 😰
Old 07-15-2015, 09:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
How about this for everyone's pleasure? Draw Countdown
Ha Ha. I think that little timeclock is great. Don't know how you guys can do that computer chit.
In a similar vein, i saw a time clock counting down for the first Oiler reg. season game. Thought that was kind of neat.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Exactly....they passed on an opportunity by not pulling the tag...so in essence they allowed 3-4 guys a tag that could have gone to them.

...the argument about 999'rs "hoarding" makes no sense, they don't get to retain 3 tags at once....it's one tag they can pull on a year they want it and they reset to zero. They waited in line long enough to have that flexibility.

LC
Old 07-15-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
The problem is eligibility of residency and eligibility to enter draws...directly related to the influx of hunters....and the tag allotments.

The hunting population is growing and will continue to do so. Disparity between number of hunters and game populations availability with continue to grow.

LC
Old 07-15-2015, 10:22 PM

Pretty easy to predict my results when I used 999 on them all.
I'm mostly only interested in general tags, so I'm basically applying only so that I don't regret not drawing 20 years from now when I wanna pull a tag

LC, funny stuff. ...
Old 07-16-2015, 12:02 AM

Results are up for real. Missed moose, got my mule buck.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:07 AM

Missed all mine too
Old 07-16-2015, 12:15 AM

We didn't get anything at all. That is very rare.

Not too worried about it.

Except for my youngest daughter. She has been applying for a MD buck tag since she was 12. Even at a priority 5, she did not draw. In 2013 I was drawn at priority 5 in the same zone. Not too long ago, you would get a buck tag every 2-3 years. Not anymore apparently. MD population looked fine last year. Winter was mild. Very disappointed for her.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:17 AM

Got my bull moose ☺
Old 07-16-2015, 12:20 AM
Banned

No draws for these guys
Old 07-16-2015, 12:27 AM

999'd everything as I am going to focus on upland birds this year.
Glad to hear a few of you are happy!