Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Swarovskioptik

When I was looking at buying a spotting scope sheep hunter shared that same story and I ended up buying a straight scope. Faster sight aquisition and ability to stay out of sight are two major benefits of the straight lense.

I ended up buying a SLIK compact tripod for $35 from Camera land in calgary and it is lightweight, sturdy, and long enough that a guy can extend the legs and sit while spotting. A friend had a shorter tripod which you were limited to lying and shortly after our trip together he got a SLIK tripod.

I actually saw them at MEC of all places a few months ago.

www.mec.ca/Products/produ...6745873932

Slik Compact Tripod
$38.00 CAD

Product Number: 4003-390

An inexpensive, extremely lightweight and almost full-sized basic tripod, suitable for cameras, spotting scopes or binoculars
Old 04-16-2007, 02:11 PM
jrs

That tripod looks neat. Does anywhere besides MEC carry it for those of us that refuse to spend money there due to there antihunting tendency's? Does Camera Land still carry them (never been there but it may be worth a look)? It may be worth a try when hunting further north where less wind would make it more useful.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:19 PM
sheep hunter

I think you'll find it pretty useful North or South jrs. Sometimes the wind can be a pain for sure but usually a way to set your pack up to block it or you can find a place to get out of it.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Blakeinator2

Mec po's me also, would rather not spend any dough there either...wish they'd all go give those grizzly's they love so much a nice big fat hug.

B
Old 04-16-2007, 05:14 PM
jrs

I'll give it a try down here if i can get one that will work sheep. I had a very small tripoid i used to use but i found the scope would wobble a lot if not firmly pressed against the ground, a rock, or a bag. I'll see, if i can find a tripoid for $40 or so it would be worth a try but i've had pretty good luck bracing it. No way i'll ever be visiting MEC for anything though.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Swarovskioptik

This is where I ordered mine from...

The Camera Store
802 - 11th Ave SW
Calgary, AB T2R 0E5
Canada

Tel: (403) 234-9935
Fax: (403) 234-0815
Toll Free: 1-888-539-9397
Old 04-16-2007, 10:53 PM
jrs

Thanks, i'll stop in there this summer for a look.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:59 PM
monstermuley

I bought a 20x60x65 Swarovski HD spotter with all the camera attachments and camera from doug at cameraland and he is great to deal with. The scope is great to. I will definatly do all my bussiness with him. Much cheaper getting it from the states to.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Blakeinator2

How much cheaper roughly? Did you have a family member bring it up?

Blake
Old 04-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Rackmastr

Blake,
You really need to follow some of the advice and talk to Doug at Cameraland.....he will save you money no doubt.....
Old 04-20-2007, 09:53 PM
harv3589

When I bought my binos it saved me $400, when my buddy bought his it saved him $850...not much more to be said there, call Doug.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:24 PM
monstermuley

I saved about 1000 dollars on the hd spotter, swarovski camera attachments, camera, and bino's. I work in the US so I brought it all up myself.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Blakeinator2

I'll call him, he's supposed to get me an email but his buddy must not have got the message to him....i called on a day he had off. He's not selling leupold eh? I like that scope but i'll see what he can do on a swaro...if its good i'll try for that. I liked the swaro too but not necessarily twice as much to justify twice the price over the leupy. We'll see what happens. Have friends coming up in may so could get it shipped to them before.

B
Old 04-21-2007, 04:00 PM
huntercam

Wow it sounds to me like Doug has done good by everone that has had anything to do with him and a lot of great info on this thread i am looking at a new scope for this fall so thanks to all for posting the info on here...

cam