Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-05-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme hunter10 View Post
Having someone out there who is paranoid someone is going to kill them... is just as bad as someone who has a itchy trigger finger.
What a load of hooey. How is it just as bad or just as much of a risk to you?

You must be blessed if the only other hunters you ever see are the guys hunting with you. Come on down to Calgary area and have the pleasure of running into many new friends while out hunting. I ran into four other separate hunters last Sunday. One laying prone with his rifle on a bipod pointing in my general direction.

If a person wants to wear blaze, wear blaze. It's not a character flaw.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
What a load of hooey. How is it just as bad or just as much of a risk to you?

You must be blessed if the only other hunters you ever see are the guys hunting with you. Come on down to Calgary area and have the pleasure of running into many new friends while out hunting. I ran into four other separate hunters last Sunday. One laying prone with his rifle on a bipod pointing in my general direction.

If a person wants to wear blaze, wear blaze. It's not a character flaw.
Basically they are one and the same... the paranoid guy will shot just cause he's scared. lol. thats why. Ive seen lots of hunters. i have never been scared to be out in the field. What is wrong lying prone and looking down a cutblock, cutline? Aare you telling me you have never looked through your scope of your rifle down range? I generally stay away from mass amounts of people. the more people, the less animals. if you show up... and there are 10 cars on the side of the road... my instinct is to keep going. im not sure what possesses people to get out and be like " yea... this is definitely the spot for me!" As a general rule... i dont fear other hunters.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
all the "quadders" in his area must all drive a bad boy buggy or golf carts
Maybe cause we wondered into a gun range.... once or twice. that would be a little hairy lol.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme hunter10 View Post
Basically they are one and the same... the paranoid guy will shot just cause he's scared. lol. thats why. Ive seen lots of hunters. .
So scared hunters shoot people. Is that what you are saying? Seen lots of that have you?

EVER seen that?

ever read about it?
Old 11-05-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
So scared hunters shoot people. Is that what you are saying? Seen lots of that have you?

EVER seen that?

ever read about it?
Well to be honest, a scared person is more likely to be taking those "sound" shots into the bush vs. a confident person. If someone is scared/paranoid of being out in the bush and thinks every rustling noise in the bush is a grizzly or cougar.... Just sayin.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:

EVER seen that?

ever read about it?
no... just basic psychology. if someone is so afraid of someone doing harm to them... at the first instance they will shoot cause they feel they will be shot. There is actually a term for it... it starts with a "C"... its on the tip of my brain... I remembered.. its called "contagious shooting" but no... never read about this hunting... never read about someone being so scared of being shot out hunting either....until today. so, it seems today is a day of firsts

Last edited by xtreme hunter10; 11-05-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Well to be honest, a scared person is more likely to be taking those "sound" shots into the bush vs. a confident person. If someone is scared/paranoid of being out in the bush and thinks every rustling noise in the bush is a grizzly or cougar.... Just sayin.
If you are scared out in the bush that a problem. We go into the wilderness to find peace, and cast aside life's stressful ways.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:36 PM

Holy smokes you guys are out of control.
I think the spirit of this post was a guy just asking for tips on how to be a bit safer out during the busy rifle season, and it degrades to posts like these?

I honestly can't see anti gun people going "hey these guys are trying to be careful out there, that's gotta stop now!"

I can though, picture a few anti gun folks reading this thread and thinking "see, I told you there were a bunch of mouth breathing, over testosteroned' Neanderthals running around with guns trying to chase any cautious, safety concious people out of the bush...let's take THEIR guns away first".

Headline...."Hunting Community Eats Itself"
Old 11-05-2015, 05:45 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Not afraid, cautious, prudent. Foolish to absolutely trust every yahoo out there. And we all knows what sort of morons there are out there.
Exactly

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-05-2015, 06:13 PM

Wow this thread turned into d*ck waving quickly. I can understand OP's position - most recently last Sunday had some people in trucks check me out as I was walking across a field. Didn't get scoped, but the passenger definitely hopped out and half shouldered before realizing I wasn't a deer.

Best thing I can recommend is a blaze orange toque that you wear whenever you hear vehicles or are approaching areas that might have vehicles. I generally try to avoid people and high traffic areas, but sometimes it's just unavoidable and you have to cross a road or field. Never had any trouble with hunters on foot fortunately.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
So I can't ask a question about taking reasonable precautions out in the woods because they might take our guns away...

And you say I'm paranoid!
If that is all you got from my post than your biggest fear should be Darwin.

You asked why the negative comments and I told you exactly why. If you don't want to hear the truth, please don't ask.

You are fearful that people are going to shoot you. This is extremely unlikely. People that fear the extremely unlikely are paranoid by definition.

Fearing people wanting to take away our freedoms and firearms is extremely real. There are organizations and politicians that have dedicated their lives to it. All they need is the backing of the paranoid or ignorant to succeed. You, unfortunately and admittedly, are both.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
I think the spirit of this post was a guy just asking for tips on how to be a bit safer out during the busy rifle season,
Perhaps the thread title should have been "tips on how to be a bit safer out during the busy rifle season" instead of "How not to get shot on public land"
Old 11-05-2015, 07:47 PM

The only problem I had was singling out quadders who are a group known to take "sound shots". Rest of the post was reasonable.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Perhaps the thread title should have been "tips on how to be a bit safer out during the busy rifle season" instead of "How not to get shot on public land"

LOL. I really like the light idea for a person walking in the dark. I, myself, prefer to wear full camo and never announce myself to other hunters. If they can not see me they should not mis-identify and possibly mistake me for an animal or shooting opportunity. In low light conditions especially, I believe high visibility colours is actually detrimental to my health and more dangerous than camouflage. Just my two cents but with a L.E.D light on that should take all the risk away from being mistaken for an animal. Unless you are being hunted by Cannibals or are in Texas and being chased by Leather face!
Old 11-05-2015, 08:41 PM

In answer to the original question,

TIP: Carry a blaze orange toque in a front, readily accessible pocket. If you feel the least bit uneasy, maybe you hear a bunch of quadders itching to shoot at sounds, maybe someone 'scopes' you, or half-raises their rifle, or leaves their unattended rifle pointed in your general direction, perhaps you're doing a 'push' for your buddy, or maybe you just think other hunters are in your area and it makes you uneasy. Pull out the blaze orange toque and put it on. Don't think you'll look like a dork, don't worry about getting your man-card pulled - just do it.

If you're wearing a blaze orange hat and you continue to get shot at - return fire!
Old 11-05-2015, 09:53 PM

Hey thanks everyone again, I'll invest in a headlamp and an orange scarf or toque or something.

MK2750 I'm not sure where you got the idea I was trembling in my boots, please read the original post. Just trying to avoid doing something stupid out there
Old 11-06-2015, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan3535 View Post
LOL. I really like the light idea for a person walking in the dark. I, myself, prefer to wear full camo and never announce myself to other hunters. If they can not see me they should not mis-identify and possibly mistake me for an animal or shooting opportunity. In low light conditions especially, I believe high visibility colours is actually detrimental to my health and more dangerous than camouflage. Just my two cents but with a L.E.D light on that should take all the risk away from being mistaken for an animal. Unless you are being hunted by Cannibals or are in Texas and being chased by Leather face!

Elite archer I got your PM. I sent you a message but I am not sure if I did it right. First time with a PM here for me. If you didn’t get a response from me send me another message and I will try to send you a new message.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
I think the spirit of this post was a guy just asking for tips on how to be a bit safer out during the busy rifle season, and it degrades to posts like these?

I honestly can't see anti gun people going "hey these guys are trying to be careful out there, that's gotta stop now!"

I can though, picture a few anti gun folks reading this thread and thinking "see, I told you there were a bunch of mouth breathing, over testosteroned' Neanderthals running around with guns trying to chase any cautious, safety concious people out of the bush...let's take THEIR guns away first".

Headline...."Hunting Community Eats Itself"
Well put.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-06-2015, 01:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
Funny. In 32 years of hunting I've never seen a person shooting at sounds.

For the record, I stay camoed when big game hunting and step off the trails or stand very still when I hear engines approaching. I've been scoped more wearing orange than not.
1988, my son and I were walking down a re entrant into a small valley. we had two shots go over our heads and smack into a tree above us. I threw my son to the ground and hauled on a whistle. some ******* came running down a hill to our right and said that he was sorry and that he was sound shooting. (My son was kicking branches playing teenage mutant ninja turtle) he was 8 at that time, and yes it does happen!
Old 11-06-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
its not a scared person that shoots at sounds. It's not a confident person that shoots at sounds. I an over-confident fool that shoots at sounds. And there's about a million miles between "I'd like to take precautions so I'm not shot at" and "Oh my god! I'm scared! What was that???? BANG!" You guys have more active imaginations than the fellow you are accusing the same thing of.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
its not a scared person that shoots at sounds. It's not a confident person that shoots at sounds. I an over-confident fool that shoots at sounds. And there's about a million miles between "I'd like to take precautions so I'm not shot at" and "Oh my god! I'm scared! What was that???? BANG!" You guys have more active imaginations than the fellow you are accusing the same thing of.
How do you know what kind of person takes shots at sounds?
Old 11-06-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
How do you know what kind of person takes shots at sounds?
oh oh... outted myself
Old 11-06-2015, 01:09 PM

I wear blaze orange when riding in and while walking from the quad to my hunting spot, usually a km or farther depending where I am. Once I'm settled in off comes the blaze orange until I'm ready to walk back out and I always have a light on before or after dark. In 2011 my son and I counted 27 shots fired on opening morning in WMU 242, 6 of those shots fired were before legal light and one was at least 10 minutes before.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
1988, my son and I were walking down a re entrant into a small valley. we had two shots go over our heads and smack into a tree above us. I threw my son to the ground and hauled on a whistle. some ******* came running down a hill to our right and said that he was sorry and that he was sound shooting. (My son was kicking branches playing teenage mutant ninja turtle) he was 8 at that time, and yes it does happen!
I hope you broke both his arms?
Old 11-06-2015, 02:16 PM

Just be cautious and do your thing - should be fine.

Cut lines and low light conditions with roads nearby I usually avoid or skirt.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:19 PM

in 1989
I was bow hunting
I walked out onto a pipe line and cut line intersection crossing
I looked down the pipeline and about 200 yards away was a guy aiming his rifle at me
just as I hollered at him to point his rifle elsewhere
he fired
it knocked me out cold
when I came to I was covered in blood and no one was around
I managed to get to my bronco
and drive myself to my parents house where my mother
phoned RCMP ( to make a long story shorter ill not explain the search)
they came out did some tracking investigating and found the shooter
when they found him the RCMP officer said that's a pretty nice rifle how does it shoot
the native guy replied pretty good but a little high
anyways
5 months later in court he was released on a technicality
because his rights were not read to him word for word off that little card
they are supposed to read them from
the picture is of the hat I was wearing at the time
now if I see someone scoping something with their rifle even my hunting partners I flip out on them
like its second coming of Christ
so yes the OP has made a good reason to worry about
being shot out there especially now with all the new wave of immigrants
with no clue as what hunting and fire arms is really about
guys going upland bird hunting and shooting meadow larks thinking they are partridges
and guys that believe bore sighting is a fully lined up rifle good to hunt with
guys with no clue of fire arm safety of proper training of them
yes its damn scary out there if you really take a second to think about it
just once try being on the receiving end of a 30-30 that hits a fraction of an inch high
then let us know if the OP has merit to be worried of being shot while out hunting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10646767_10204555527185732_5397765758600203076_n.jpg (102.8 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by u_cant_rope_the_wind; 11-06-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:00 AM

Hunter shot

this happens even if you are all oranged up

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/201...ed-in-accident

http://www.timminspress.com/2015/11/...near-brantford
Old 11-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Banned

Arrow

Yep, lots of inexperienced firearm owners out there. Play safe and defineatly let them know your in the area. Nothing like being scoped by someone who doesn't use bino's.

You can always tie some of these to you

Tags
safety