Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 AM

We had Hunter Class Leagues last night, boys were smokin...

Our shooters decided to play a little after the rounds, and one shooter just had an Anchor sight installed on his bow so we decided to check it out closer, they taped Toonies to the target [ before its mentioned the Toonies can be easily repaired to new condition with a hammer and smooth vise]

The shooter with the Anchor sight took the center of the Toonie with his first shot at 20 yards....sending the outer ring spinnig wildly with a buzzz down the arrow...

He shoot the center out of two more in the next three shots..impressive

IMHO the Anchor sight is an outstanding option to the Peep...it has a nice sized window , easy to install and the best thing is you have the option NOT to use it if it is low light or in an action hunting situation..

we have used the No Peep, IQ sight and other systems...this is the best option hands down IMHO

Neil
Old 02-21-2013, 08:48 AM

Just curious as to what makes the anchor site better than the other options? I do know that the no peeps and iq's will not fog up internally rendering it more or less useless, where the anchor does posess the possibility to do so. Strictly from a utilitarian point of view, where I shoot my many thousands of practice arrows for one or two shots in the fall, I can't see taking the risk of having my gear not be funtional. Just an observation.

Norm
Old 02-21-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
Just curious as to what makes the anchor site better than the other options? I do know that the no peeps and iq's will not fog up internally rendering it more or less useless, where the anchor does posess the possibility to do so. Strictly from a utilitarian point of view, where I shoot my many thousands of practice arrows for one or two shots in the fall, I can't see taking the risk of having my gear not be funtional. Just an observation.

Norm
Norm .. It was just in my opinion as we set a lot of No Peeps and IQ sights..the No peep being the hardest to set up...however not the main reason

Its simply the Anchor has a big window which is faster to line up or center with Peripheral vison than the smaller views of the No Peep and IQ's that you have to directly look at, center than Re-foucus on target...
As we all know we should pick a spot foucus on the target [spot] and pins are in Peripheral Vision on the shot...thats where the Anchor is more user friendly..

Again JMHO
Neil
Old 02-21-2013, 11:02 AM

I see where you are coming from Neil, and I get that and respect that. I do agree that the no peep is the hardest of all to set up, but once they are set they rarely move. Almost impossible to get now, so no matter.

Here are acouple of things to consider regarding these types of devices, of which I am a big fan of!

The retina lock is literally less than an inch from your pins, and if you can't train yourself to see it in your peripheral vision, you should just go back to a peep sight. The no peep is small, but like the anchor you can position it so it sits just above or below your view of the sight housing. Again, you have to train yourself to see them in your peripheral vision. This is part and parcel to making these things work properly, and one of their selling features.

There should be no need for any archer to actually focus on any of these devices for any length of time to know he or she is at the correct anchor spot, once they are accustomed to the device. If the archer is doing this, he or she is better off going back to a peep sight, which in the end is way more intuitive and instinctual and ultimately will be faster to use and just as reliable in the end for that archer. The main point of these devices is to aid the archer in confirming that he or she is indeed in the correct position after they have reached full draw and settled in, not to get the archer to move his or her anchor point after they are settled. If this is the case the device is set up incorrectly.

If I depended a large amount on any of these devices to help me consistently anchor, as a hunter I would rather use a peep sight than use an anchor sight, simply because of the fact that it can fog up and become un-usable. I did a search on a couple of other forums and it is a real concern and does happen. I think I recall another forum member mentioning to me that his fogged up on him while hunting moose this year.

Just trying to keep it in perspective! There are downsides to everything, and nothing comes for free! Once you put one of these on, you have to practice a lot for it to become an efficient and useful tool.

Norm
Old 02-21-2013, 11:18 AM

Well said.....I wonder who missed a grouse after it was wet and foggy in low light?....ah it doesn't matter that guy probably can't shoot anyway

LC
Old 02-21-2013, 11:23 AM

ILMAO, No finger pointing here! The big bull chicken that got away! Have a good one!

Norm
Old 02-21-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
I see where you are coming from Neil, and I get that and respect that. I do agree that the no peep is the hardest of all to set up, but once they are set they rarely move. Almost impossible to get now, so no matter.

Here are acouple of things to consider regarding these types of devices, of which I am a big fan of!

The retina lock is literally less than an inch from your pins, and if you can't train yourself to see it in your peripheral vision, you should just go back to a peep sight. The no peep is small, but like the anchor you can position it so it sits just above or below your view of the sight housing. Again, you have to train yourself to see them in your peripheral vision. This is part and parcel to making these things work properly, and one of their selling features.

There should be no need for any archer to actually focus on any of these devices for any length of time to know he or she is at the correct anchor spot, once they are accustomed to the device. If the archer is doing this, he or she is better off going back to a peep sight, which in the end is way more intuitive and instinctual and ultimately will be faster to use and just as reliable in the end for that archer. The main point of these devices is to aid the archer in confirming that he or she is indeed in the correct position after they have reached full draw and settled in, not to get the archer to move his or her anchor point after they are settled. If this is the case the device is set up incorrectly.

If I depended a large amount on any of these devices to help me consistently anchor, as a hunter I would rather use a peep sight than use an anchor sight, simply because of the fact that it can fog up and become un-usable. I did a search on a couple of other forums and it is a real concern and does happen. I think I recall another forum member mentioning to me that his fogged up on him while hunting moose this year.

Just trying to keep it in perspective! There are downsides to everything, and nothing comes for free! Once you put one of these on, you have to practice a lot for it to become an efficient and useful tool.

Norm

Good write Norm...

I found many years ago with several good solid anchors I didnt need a peep at all..I use three..the good ole kisser button [komfort kiss] my release hand tucked firmly into my jaw under my ear, and string lightly on face as my site line is on the right side of string..

I dont knock peeps ..shooters use what ever one needs to be the best they can be, however as you mentioned the less that can go wrong..........

Neil
Old 02-21-2013, 12:22 PM

That's exactly what I found too Neil. I generally don't use my no peep in hunting situations, unless my footing or body position could lead me to have some torque or the anchor point I hit doesnt feel right.

The beauty of the Anchor/No Peep/Retina lock is that it will help the archer recognize and more easily find his or her specific anchor points. After lots of use and if the archer pays attention they can repeatably find their anchor point, and then do a quick verify with the device. They are a wonderful form tool!

Norm
Old 02-21-2013, 12:26 PM

im already feeling 10x as confident with my anchor point and its the second day of using the anchor site
Old 02-21-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Nice!

When at full draw just change your grip slightly....notice how much difference it makes in where the anchor sight is aligned. It tells you alot...

LC
Yep... Lefty has a great idea here....

try shooting with heavy gloves on, or bend around a tree, or drop your bow arm instead of bending at waist....

Wait until your string starts to go south on you and your anchor position doesn't match up to where your IQ/Anchor Site/NP tells you to be anchoring... That is the first sign that my string is in need of replacing

J.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
im already feeling 10x as confident with my anchor point and its the second day of using the anchor site
Safe to say you are hooked and don't want to sell it to me?

LC
Old 02-25-2013, 09:47 AM

no ill be keeping it
Old 03-02-2013, 08:04 PM

shot the bow today with the AS, wasnt getting the groups i hoped for but not bad for first time in months managed to knock a vane off so i guess that aint too bad

def need more getting used to the AS
Old 03-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Banned

did it line up perfectly on your first draw?

if not then its not set up to your natural anchor yet, don't adjust to it....you adjust it to you...draw every morning for a week just to confirm but it will train you to very repeatable form, pretty sure i could toss mine and shoot the same, you will get there too

and ya can't really blame the thing for accuracy issues or group sizes etc. it simply helps you put your rear sight (your eyeball) in the same place everytime....all the rest is up to you, proper draw length, weight, grip, spine, etc. etc. those who use them shoot the same accuracy vs peep, i don't notice a difference, i have good days shooting and bad, i've shot as many years without a peep as i have with a peep (i shot the no-peep for a season or two around 10 years ago and the past 3 seasons with anchorsight), they both work great i just prefer the anchor sight, its not the place to look when accuracy isn't there imo