Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2023, 03:48 AM

My outlaws called tonight they knew our acerage was under evacuation before we did. 1145 got the message
It's our little piece of heaven. Dropped the hammer and packed up 14 years of memories, 4 travel trailers all the quads, goose decoy trailer, 2 c cans full of stuff.
Had a army of buddys come help. Nice to know you can count on people.
Talked to fire crew tonight on the way out the Jackfish lake fire north east of athabasca is now less than a mile from my property. They said it will be at the county road by dawn. Next 12 hours will decide if alot of houses and lives will go up in smoke. Had a buddy bring his water truck and help douse everything with it. Hope it might help. Never seen it this dry ever. We were gonna go kill my sons target bear Tommorow night but the fire got one of our bait sites and nuked a new double stand. Not gonna even risk it with the fire. Crazy thing is there was no smoke first thing this morning.
Keep your family's safe and take precautions with fire saftey. Alot of emotions going threw my head if that place burns my kids will be devastated. Headed out in the am to help my neighbor with his cattle.
God speed everyone.
Old 05-05-2023, 06:21 AM

Definitely idiots out there.
This one should be given the death penalty.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...es-blazes-rcmp
Old 05-05-2023, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post

No argument there, the death penalty would be appropriate.
Old 05-05-2023, 06:44 AM

Quote:

Death penalty is right. Just chatting this morning with a buddy about this, as the huge grass fire this week burnt down a field where we train retrievers. He talked about being nervous about trucks in fields causing fires. I blame it on the walking dead zombie meth heads who have their encampments there.
Old 05-05-2023, 06:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
My outlaws called tonight they knew our acerage was under evacuation before we did. 1145 got the message
It's our little piece of heaven. Dropped the hammer and packed up 14 years of memories, 4 travel trailers all the quads, goose decoy trailer, 2 c cans full of stuff.
Talked to fire crew tonight on the way out the Jackfish lake fire north east of athabasca is now less than a mile from my property. They said it will be at the county road by dawn. Next 12 hours will decide if alot of houses and lives will go up in smoke. Had a buddy bring his water truck and help douse everything with it. Hope it might help. Never seen it this dry ever. We were gonna go kill my sons target bear Tommorow night but the fire got one of our bait sites and nuked a new double stand. Not gonna even risk it with the fire. Crazy thing is there was no smoke first thing this morning.
Keep your family's safe and take precautions with fire saftey. Alot of emotions going threw my head if that place burns my kids will be devastated. Headed out in the am to help my neighbor with his cattle.
God speed everyone.

Wish you and all the very best outcome to these fires.
Last night washing the car seen smoke south of our property, yup a wild fire popped up but under control and moving away from our location, thankfully the wind died down too.

We sat last night saying what do you take etc....just wouldn’t want it to ever happen....could only imagine.

To the first responders to these fires be safe and thank you for doing what you do.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-05-2023, 06:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

Yeah I went for a motorbike ride around that area, the church is gone just a pile of rubble, glad they caught this fella, I knew him when he was a kid, coached him lacrosse, just not sure what went wrong, was always respectful etc....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-05-2023, 07:06 AM

Well went south to Sylvan Lake figured if I am going to be evacuated might as well get away from the smoke too
Old 05-05-2023, 07:08 AM

Quote:
God speed everyone.
Here's hoping for the best possible outcome for you and your family. Good luck!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 05-05-2023, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
11:09 the whole town of DV was given evacuation orders.

We got out 30 mins prior….

We are safe and sound at a co-worker place way east of the fire.
Glad you and Mrs.D are alright and safe!.
Cat
Old 05-05-2023, 07:26 AM

I am fortunate to have lived in a place that was frequented by fires, but to have never faced evacuation. I left the city, a year before it was evacuated, and partially burned. I can't imagine having to choose very limited possessions to take, to flee a fire, and possibly lose your home and everything else. Just living with a vehicle packed , and ready to flee on very short notice would be stressful in itself. I wish the best to everyone facing these fires, and hopefully we get rain soon to reduce the risk.
Old 05-05-2023, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am fortunate to have lived in a place that was frequented by fires, but to have never faced evacuation. I left the city, a year before it was evacuated, and partially burned. I can't imagine having to choose very limited possessions to take, to flee a fire, and possibly lose your home and everything else. Just living with a vehicle packed , and ready to flee on very short notice would be stressful in itself. I wish the best to everyone facing these fires, and hopefully we get rain soon to reduce the risk.
We lost an enormous amount of the city that year, and I wish that same experience on no one!
It is not easy for me to take about , I hope everyone involved in their respective evacuations manages to stay safe with a minimum of property loss and no relatives or friends have disaster befall them
Cat
Old 05-05-2023, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Drayton didn’t even get enough notice to pack a car in preparation for evacuation

Basically the wife woke me up saying we have been evacuated. Basically grabbed some clothes, firearms, pets and cash. Odds are it’s a temporary stay away from home and worst case possessions can be replaced.

I don’t overthink it but I have been through a few rodeos like this when I lived in B.C.

It sucks but really what can you do except for cross your fingers that the weather/wind turns in your favor
Old 05-05-2023, 07:51 AM

This is terrible. Stay safe friends.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
This is terrible. Stay safe friends.
According to the radio, 74 fires burning, supposed to rain Sunday.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-05-2023, 08:45 AM

A BIG SHOUT OUT to all the people fighting these fires. Stanger fire was under control around 11 last night. It was bad, I heard at least one home was lost, but it could have been a lot worse.

Anyway a big thanks to the locals and the professionals that put their all into this.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:45 AM

To all that have been displaced due to these fires, I hope all the best to you and your families.

And a big "shout out" to all emergency crews working day and night fighting the devil...
Old 05-05-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Drayton didn’t even get enough notice to pack a car in preparation for evacuation

Basically the wife woke me up saying we have been evacuated. Basically grabbed some clothes, firearms, pets and cash. Odds are it’s a temporary stay away from home and worst case possessions can be replaced.

I don’t overthink it but I have been through a few rodeos like this when I lived in B.C.

It sucks but really what can you do except for cross your fingers that the weather/wind turns in your favor
And no notice would be even worse. I would be grabbing some clothes , my wallet, valuable papers, my firearms and my dogs and be gone. Hopefully if the fire didn't get my home, it wouldn't be ransacked by looters of any kind.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:54 AM

Quote:
And no notice would be even worse. I would be grabbing some clothes , my wallet, valuable papers, my firearms and my dogs and be gone. Hopefully if the fire didn't get my home, it wouldn't be ransacked by looters of any kind.
Basically your post is how it played/playing out

Not much else you can do
Old 05-05-2023, 08:58 AM

If you're not prepared with a go bag you best get one and figure out where your valuables are in your house and make a plan. Seems there are grass fires popping up just about anywhere.
Old 05-05-2023, 09:00 AM

Good luck to you all and stay safe.
Old 05-05-2023, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
If you're not prepared with a go bag you best get one and figure out where your valuables are in your house and make a plan. Seems there are grass fires popping up just about anywhere.
And not even lightening to start them, just idiots. Hopefully we get rain ,before we get thunderstorms.
Old 05-05-2023, 09:22 AM

No idea how some of them start. It seems some start where access is very limited or none at all. Weird.

It feels like July though. We haven’t closed windows in the house for over a week now. Normally, the furnace would still be running every night during this time of year. Crazy hot and crazy dry. It should cool down a bit next week, but no moisture in the forecast.
Old 05-05-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:

I say tie his arms to two posts and horsewhip the SOB.....publicly. Then throw him in Jail for a long stretch.
Old 05-05-2023, 11:02 AM

Update on the fire situation in the province, including that they've placed an ATV restriction within the entire forest protection area:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3q0...el=YourAlberta
Old 05-05-2023, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
I say tie his arms to two posts and horsewhip the SOB.....publicly. Then throw him in Jail for a long stretch.
>>
X 100!! This pr**k is a menace to everything living. Man, animal and forests as fire takes all in its path. Never mind what is costs in dollars to fight them. Just shake my head
Old 05-05-2023, 01:07 PM

Well made another trip. Grabbed the last of what I could. Met with my neighbor offered any help with his cattle etc. The fire is less than half a mile from my place. Right next to a buddys. Looks like the RR east of me is the Alamo it jumps that tree line alot of house will burn. Choppers, planes buzzing the trees. Looks like something out of a movie.
Thanks to everyone who sent messages. Gonna unload the truck and head back out. Wish I had a D11 I'd be smashing some bush right now.
Old 05-05-2023, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Well made another trip. Grabbed the last of what I could. Met with my neighbor offered any help with his cattle etc. The fire is less than half a mile from my place. Right next to a buddys. Looks like the RR east of me is the Alamo it jumps that tree line alot of house will burn. Choppers, planes buzzing the trees. Looks like something out of a movie.
Thanks to everyone who sent messages. Gonna unload the truck and head back out. Wish I had a D11 I'd be smashing some bush right now.
Stay safe!
Old 05-05-2023, 03:46 PM

I see the Drayton rodeo is cancelled, all the animals safely trailered out of town.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-05-2023, 04:55 PM

Snowing ash in Peace River right now.

Old 05-05-2023, 05:47 PM

I just headed out to our cabin north of entwhistle. From our vantage point, it sure looked like the town was burning. Sure hope not, nothing on the radio. We are right on the river and safe for now with the wind direction, but seems like there’s new fires every few hours. Then on the way home there was a new fire started north of Darwell close to hey 43.