Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
No one is immune from this anywhere. Words have been blurred and weaponized. As in this case a simple statement of that "Canada wasn’t perfect, he said, but it still offers a lot of good." was weaponized to "white supremacy" and the beginnings of ruining this man's life.

During reasonable times, his words would have invoked some thought and dialogue but these days, it's 100% compliance or the pitchforks come out. It's a modern day Salem witch trials. People can and will seek out offence in just about anything when they try hard enough.

This idea of "diversity and inclusion" are just feel good words for "division and exclusion".

Being a brown Canadian I understand this completely. Some from my own community have disavowed me for being "colonized" and a traitor while lefties infantilize me by claiming that they simply can't believe that I could vote against my own interests by not choosing Liberals. They of course believing they know best of what my best interests are.
Not that I am surprised that a brown Canadian would say these things, but am appreciative that you mentioned your ethnicity, as it gives credibility and weight.

At least in my opinion.

Maybe you can answer me this. I have said to some friends that all this woke BS is gonna backfire on Trudeau because the Muslim and Brown demographic are as conservative as any when it comes to family values and societal mores.

Do you see your community becoming tired of it and saying they will vote for Poilievre in reaction to some of the more radical changes Canadians are seeing in terms of social policy coming from Trudeau and his cronies?
Old 07-22-2023, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Was I at this meeting buddy?
No, the events I referenced transpired at a CSR meeting.
Old 07-22-2023, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Not that I am surprised that a brown Canadian would say these things, but am appreciative that you mentioned your ethnicity, as it gives credibility and weight.

At least in my opinion.

Maybe you can answer me this. I have said to some friends that all this woke BS is gonna backfire on Trudeau because the Muslim and Brown demographic are as conservative as any when it comes to family values and societal mores.

Do you see your community becoming tired of it and saying they will vote for Poilievre in reaction to some of the more radical changes Canadians are seeing in terms of social policy coming from Trudeau and his cronies?
Unfortunately, the fact is that in today's society, many people will vote for whomever promises to provide the most benefits for them personally, regardless of how it effects society, or even how it may effect their children and grandchildren. This is especially true for the woke, their own offspring may suffer, because of who their woke parents voted for. When the money runs out, as it eventually has to, the handouts for certain groups will cease, and that is what will convince some people to vote for someone else. The really unfortunate thing however, is that by that point, all but the very rich will suffer.
Old 07-22-2023, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
I’ve been to two different universities and two colleges in the period of time shorter than what you are referring to and have never seen whatever it is you are talking about happening. Maybe some humanities, perhaps some social studies (I took plenty of economics though)? Not really sure. But I’d say you guys are not correct, unless the changes you are talking about took place in the past 10-15 years.
You don’t think the universities have a distinct left leaning Marxist tendency? You don’t think critical race theory and other “woke” ideals are promoted there?

Jordan Peterson says DEI and other woke ideas have destroyed the value proposition of the Ivy League schools, I think he’s creditable on the subject.
Old 07-22-2023, 08:46 PM

Quote:

At least in my opinion.

At the risk of not being here tomorrow, I will suggest that not everyone in that demographic will agree with you on the definition of "family values and societal mores."

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 07-22-2023, 09:01 PM

Good luck telling that "YEAR CLASS" a bloody thing. They are the ones with the mouths to feed and their parents were blue collar that pumped gas in grade 10 or worked at safeway till a drilling rig or carpentry job came up so your pregnant girlfriend had a place to live. It's when social media kicked in and the brainwashing began. I don't know how a young family can make ends meet. Get out the paper and pen and add up the bills. The sad thing is the people that are currently going broke, won't stand up for themselves. It's like they never learned basic math. I don't lose sleep over it but they sure should be standing united to make change not a bunch of old truckers. But if you need to explain the state of this union to a bunch of smart ass young parents that blame everything on their own hard working patents then the point is mute.
Old 07-22-2023, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
You know my friend, those last eight years may go smoother if you commuted to a country school. We openly discuss hunting and shooting, even make the odd gun rack in shop.

I am a hayseed among hillbillys, and I couldn't be happier.
My kids go to a country school and unfortunately the woke agenda is being forced into their lives daily. As a parent if you say anything against it you are totally ignored by the staff and harassed by the very parents that are all for it. You know the type. They jump on every bandwagon that comes along.

The unfortunate part is that funding has been cut for a lot of practical programs that would help students prepare for adulthood but there seems to be unlimited funds for sports team name/logo changes and for lectures/assemblies by the alphabet gang.
Old 07-22-2023, 11:46 PM

It’s like Lord of the Flies.

Mob rules

Rabid wild dog packs.

Scary because it’s what’s tolerated in society now in political and media.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-22-2023, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post
You don’t think the universities have a distinct left leaning Marxist tendency? You don’t think critical race theory and other “woke” ideals are promoted there?

Jordan Peterson says DEI and other woke ideas have destroyed the value proposition of the Ivy League schools, I think he’s creditable on the subject.
Never heard the term (CRT) myself in any of the places I have been to. Same with the wife, who actually studied psychology and social work (masters including), so you would think that of all people she would be the one actually studying it. Maybe they failed us, haha. Doubt many (relatively speaking) hear about it in a classroom environment in universities or colleges in Canada, unless taking some very specific subjects, I would think. One would think that if there was some agenda to influence the minds of many, there would some “social studies 101” that would be mandatory, like a prerequisite for any second year courses or something.

The university programs are set up in such a way that any particular individual can select a number of subjects alongside those that are program specific and cannot be avoided (like certain math in Economics majors, for instance). For example, if one has to pick up some “humanities” credits, one doesn’t have to go through the torture of history if one finds it such, but take philosophy instead, for example; or the other way around; or choose something else, like the subject of humanities itself, even religion for those interested.

I had numerous conversations with many profs and instructors outside of the classroom environment (such as we would grab a coffee or lunch together) and discussed various subjects. Believe me, never one of them attempted to “brainwash” me with some rubbish they believed in. I don’t even know what any of them believed in, actually, now that I think about it. Highly doubt any of them were marxists either. And, like I mentioned, I took plenty of economics courses - plenty as in almost everything that was offered at the university that my level of studies allowed to take - marxism is not discussed in great deep detail in any of them.

To add, surely I felt challenged, developed skills, critical thinking, and so on. That challenge, however, was usually tied to the subject at hand; not something any particular prof decided to change our minds about or reinforce our own beliefs in order to promote their own agenda. Unlike, perhaps, what Jordan Peterson is doing? That’s what it sounds like to me anyway.

I should also add that I do not believe there was any talk about racism or other social issues in any of the course I took because non of them were about it. Seems pretty simple to me, actually. And I doubt many of university attendees have had different experience from mine.

At the end of the day, there are dozens and dozens of professions that are simply not attainable without attending some kind of secondary school. So value is there. I have never cared about the so called “ivy league” schools and never attended or desired to attend one.

It seems to me that the issue you are discussing is, perhaps, an American one and so much here in Canada, as far as universities are concerned. Even then, I highly doubt someone will be teaching anything that isn’t related to any subject at hand. Is there a mandatory CRT course in any of the “ivy schools”?

P. S. Sorry, piker, if this a derailment of the thread. Not sure, but I had to check the the thread title just now because I didn’t remember.
Old 07-23-2023, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
At the risk of not being here tomorrow, I will suggest that not everyone in that demographic will agree with you on the definition of "family values and societal mores."

ARG

I don’t think you’d find unanimity of thought in any demographic.

I just came home now from an Arabic wedding. Trust me when I say the conversation over the weekend’s gatherings, which are more numerous than a typical Canadian wedding, would not lead one to believe their community is ready to support a woke agenda, or political party that proposes one.

In any event, I am interested in Sporty answering the question, as he’s able to assess the temperature in his own community better than I could.

Last edited by sns2; 07-23-2023 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-23-2023, 06:37 AM

Default This is how communism works to destroy the West

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOmXiapfCs8
Old 07-23-2023, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Never heard the term (CRT) myself in any of the places I have been to. Same with the wife, who actually studied psychology and social work (masters including), so you would think that of all people she would be the one actually studying it. Maybe they failed us, haha. Doubt many (relatively speaking) hear about it in a classroom environment in universities or colleges in Canada, unless taking some very specific subjects, I would think. One would think that if there was some agenda to influence the minds of many, there would some “social studies 101” that would be mandatory, like a prerequisite for any second year courses or something.

The university programs are set up in such a way that any particular individual can select a number of subjects alongside those that are program specific and cannot be avoided (like certain math in Economics majors, for instance). For example, if one has to pick up some “humanities” credits, one doesn’t have to go through the torture of history if one finds it such, but take philosophy instead, for example; or the other way around; or choose something else, like the subject of humanities itself, even religion for those interested.

I had numerous conversations with many profs and instructors outside of the classroom environment (such as we would grab a coffee or lunch together) and discussed various subjects. Believe me, never one of them attempted to “brainwash” me with some rubbish they believed in. I don’t even know what any of them believed in, actually, now that I think about it. Highly doubt any of them were marxists either. And, like I mentioned, I took plenty of economics courses - plenty as in almost everything that was offered at the university that my level of studies allowed to take - marxism is not discussed in great deep detail in any of them.

To add, surely I felt challenged, developed skills, critical thinking, and so on. That challenge, however, was usually tied to the subject at hand; not something any particular prof decided to change our minds about or reinforce our own beliefs in order to promote their own agenda. Unlike, perhaps, what Jordan Peterson is doing? That’s what it sounds like to me anyway.

I should also add that I do not believe there was any talk about racism or other social issues in any of the course I took because non of them were about it. Seems pretty simple to me, actually. And I doubt many of university attendees have had different experience from mine.

At the end of the day, there are dozens and dozens of professions that are simply not attainable without attending some kind of secondary school. So value is there. I have never cared about the so called “ivy league” schools and never attended or desired to attend one.

It seems to me that the issue you are discussing is, perhaps, an American one and so much here in Canada, as far as universities are concerned. Even then, I highly doubt someone will be teaching anything that isn’t related to any subject at hand. Is there a mandatory CRT course in any of the “ivy schools”?

P. S. Sorry, piker, if this a derailment of the thread. Not sure, but I had to check the the thread title just now because I didn’t remember.
Thanks for sharing your first hand experience.
I would agree that CRT could be a more prevalent issue in the USA system.
Old 07-23-2023, 07:04 AM

This pretty much sums up what is happening in our schools.

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/arti...public-schools

https://www.westernstandard.news/opi...ff6fe70e2.html

Last edited by elkhunter11; 07-23-2023 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-23-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:

At least in my opinion.

I can't speak on behalf of others like activists choose to do, but those in my circle have mostly always been Conservative voters. The loudest voices are activists who believe they have the right to speak on behalf of the majority and they drown out all other views.

The energy situation in Canada with Indigenous is a prime example. Many support the industry but certain media outlets will only highlight the anti energy groups, often led by non Indigenous activists suffering from "white guilt complex". Then you have the keyboard activists who sit all day on social media trolling anyone who goes against their ideology. It's these groups who will treat minority groups as though they're a monolith with a hive mind.

I'm Metis and a recent poll showed higher support for Poilievre by Indigenous than for Trudeau and lefties lost their minds. Accusing and attacking many Indigenous on social media who were in agreement with the polling. That was the point of my original post.

All minority groups are the same, they aren't a monolith and they're going to vote for whatever serves their best interests at the time. At this time though, even people who would normally be considered center right and center left have had enough of the division and exclusion antics by the radical left. Trudeau has taken the Liberals further left, away from it's roots and right/center groups are turning away. Then again, they're also now considered "alt-right" due to the moving goal posts.

Old 07-23-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I can't speak on behalf of others like activists choose to do, but those in my circle have mostly always been Conservative voters. The loudest voices are activists who believe they have the right to speak on behalf of the majority and they drown out all other views.

The energy situation in Canada with Indigenous is a prime example. Many support the industry but certain media outlets will only highlight the anti energy groups, often led by non Indigenous activists suffering from "white guilt complex". Then you have the keyboard activists who sit all day on social media trolling anyone who goes against their ideology. It's these groups who will treat minority groups as though they're a monolith with a hive mind.

I'm Metis and a recent poll showed higher support for Poilievre by Indigenous than for Trudeau and lefties lost their minds. Accusing and attacking many Indigenous on social media who were in agreement with the polling. That was the point of my original post.

All minority groups are the same, they aren't a monolith and they're going to vote for whatever serves their best interests at the time. At this time though, even people who would normally be considered center right and center left have had enough of the division and exclusion antics by the radical left. Trudeau has taken the Liberals further left, away from it's roots and right/center groups are turning away. Then again, they're also now considered "alt-right" due to the moving goal posts.

Sporty, when you said you were brown, I thought you were East Indian. Get your labels straight.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

It is good to hear from Métis too!

Every vote counts in an election.

I stand by my idea that the woke left has alienated a significant number of first and second generation Canadians from cultures who may typically favour Liberal policies.

Maybe I’m hoping against hope, but I really believe many Canadians are fed up and will vote accordingly whenever an election is called.
Old 07-23-2023, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Sporty, when you said you were brown, I thought you were East Indian. Get your labels straight.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

It is good to hear from Métis too!

Every vote counts in an election.

I stand by my idea that the woke left has alienated a significant number of first and second generation Canadians from cultures who may typically favour Liberal policies.

Maybe I’m hoping against hope, but I really believe many Canadians are fed up and will vote accordingly whenever an election is called.
I had assumed that was made evident in my original post when I said that I'm considered "colonized" by voting against Liberals. :P

I do believe there are many who are turning away from Trudeau and the Liberals, the "silent majority". It's really unfortunate how many people don't vote but I do hope that the next election gives us change before too much damage is done that is irreversible.
Old 07-23-2023, 08:53 PM

I have said to some friends that all this woke BS is gonna backfire on Trudeau because the Muslim and Brown demographic are as conservative as any when it comes to family values and societal mores.

They were the ones giving Trudeau the gears while he was cooking pancakes in Calgary. His response, the usual crap, "there is so much misinformation out there".

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 07-23-2023, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I had assumed that was made evident in my original post when I said that I'm considered "colonized" by voting against Liberals. :P

I do believe there are many who are turning away from Trudeau and the Liberals, the "silent majority". It's really unfortunate how many people don't vote but I do hope that the next election gives us change before too much damage is done that is irreversible.
Fingers crossed.
Old 07-25-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
WOW --- what a terrible situation to place a respected educator in --- basically mocking him daily around his peers in an educational conference.

Simply tragic

The Toronto school systems is certainly getting a reputation and not in a good way.
And yet, those around him, his coworkers and peers did nothing to stand up for him against the board. Sounds like they all just abandoned their friend and someone they "Respected" when times got tough for him because he spoke truth. Rather than support him, they ducked their heads down and hid away instead of standing up.

They should all be ashamed of themselves and hope the guilt of their own back-stabbery eats them alive for years to come.

What a sad loss.
Old 07-25-2023, 12:23 PM

[/QUOTE] Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
WOW --- what a terrible situation to place a respected educator in --- basically mocking him daily around his peers in an educational conference.

Simply tragic

The Toronto school systems is certainly getting a reputation and not in a good way. [/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Carnicero View Post
And yet, those around him, his coworkers and peers did nothing to stand up for him against the board. Sounds like they all just abandoned their friend and someone they "Respected" when times got tough for him because he spoke truth. Rather than support him, they ducked their heads down and hid away instead of standing up.

They should all be ashamed of themselves and hope the guilt of their own back-stabbery eats them alive for years to come.

What a sad loss.
I worked in a great environment then a change in leadership occurred. Very short order shaming of people became the norm. Special interest groups were formed -- one gender based was particularly viscious with fabrications and made up history. People that stood up were marginalized, reassigned and organized out. Good people that you had relationships with became fearful of losing their jobs as they saw the lay offs. I was the first person in the organization this happened to --- quietly people would say they could not believe how I was treated but would not step forward due to fear of job loss. A few years after I left I had people that were impacted after I left coming up to me to apologize on the treatment and wishing that things had been different.

Cancel culture when led from above at a VP level with the power to lay people off has a huge impact that can only be kept in check by a more senior level. This can go on for several years before organizational performance drops enough to be noticed by a board or shareholders.

Scary and very stressful
Old 07-25-2023, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post

Simply tragic

The Toronto school systems is certainly getting a reputation and not in a good way. [/QUOTE]

I worked in a great environment then a change in leadership occurred. Very short order shaming of people became the norm. Special interest groups were formed -- one gender based was particularly viscious with fabrications and made up history. People that stood up were marginalized, reassigned and organized out. Good people that you had relationships with became fearful of losing their jobs as they saw the lay offs. I was the first person in the organization this happened to --- quietly people would say they could not believe how I was treated but would not step forward due to fear of job loss. A few years after I left I had people that were impacted after I left coming up to me to apologize on the treatment and wishing that things had been different.

Cancel culture when led from above at a VP level with the power to lay people off has a huge impact that can only be kept in check by a more senior level. This can go on for several years before organizational performance drops enough to be noticed by a board or shareholders.

Scary and very stressful[/QUOTE]

Disgusting treatment.

Not surprising though.

The way I have seen people treated who have been in similar situations to what you’ve expressed, has been deplorable.
Old 07-25-2023, 12:56 PM

[/QUOTE] Disgusting treatment. Not surprising though.

The way I have seen people treated who have been in similar situations to what you’ve expressed, has been deplorable.[/QUOTE]

I think Sundance nailed it with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
It’s like Lord of the Flies. Mob rules Rabid wild dog packs. Scary because it’s what’s tolerated in society now in political and media.
I smile now as the rabid dog packs in the end all recieved the same treatment -- divide, marginalize, demoralize and then lay off. I have spoken with people that were part of the rabid dog packs that in the end recieved the same treatment and never saw it coming as they thought as long as they supported the "new culture" they would be immune.

A person should not have these thoughts but I do admit it brings a smile when I think on the door hitting them hard in their asses on the way out.

I am aware of one organization in Calgary where a president saw this happening and stepped in. Reorg'd at the level responsible and brought the team back to a positive environment. She did a quick surgical response and what a quick change.