Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2013, 10:57 PM

I haven't used one before but I keep mulling over getting one as I think it could be good. On a humerous side note the last time I saw a fellow using one he had just hopped out of his big white diesel and I saw him crawling/sneaking through the ditch and attempt to make it under a barb wire fence to take a shot, after a few humorous attempts (he was rather large) he gave up trying to get past the fence and just took the shot.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:02 AM

Remember what eyes you are trying to fool. Mammalian eyes see in shades of grey, but deer especially see further into the violet than we do. Any laundry detergent that has "brighteners" or "whiteners" will reflect extra UV as visible light. It is speculated that clothing washed in such detergent glows in the forest to be easily seen by deer, elk, etc. Mammals don't spook easily to visual clues except movement.
Birds are different. They see in really high definition and in color. Anything visually out of place will spook a wary bird! They don't really use their sense of smell as much as Mammals do unless you are talking about how far a Vulture can smell rotting meat! Both critters see movement instantly. Their brains are hard-wired to react instantly to anything moving contrary to the flow of movement within their field of view.
We all have been in situations where Whitetails walked within inches of us and didn't spook till they caught our scent. Doesn't matter what we wear there, as long as it doesn't glow in the ultraviolet. Any kind of movement immediately triggers an alarm to any kind of spooky animal or bird. Beyond that Birds are easily spooked by what they see, Mammals are easily spooked by what they smell. Nothing else matters much.
Would a Ghillie Suit help? Anything that lessens your footprint against your background will help, but a Ghillie Suit helps most against human eyes. If it makes you more confident, go ahead. But a Ghillie Suit washed in normal household detergent will be a dead giveaway with Deer.