Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2023, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittman View Post
Maybe they'd just like to save the pile of cash it takes to produce the paper money? Or enable a system that's more efficient than a wad of paper that you can lose and is easy to counterfeit.

Ask yourself, why would they limit how much you can spend? That could cripple the economy. Why would they make money that disappears. It'd have no value and would cease to be traded.

Anyhow, this thread reads like paranoia. Sounds stressful to be in your heads. Maybe get help?
Maybe you need to do some more research on what a Canadian bank digital currency could mean.
It has zero to do with save the pile of cash and everything to do with control. Every purchase you make goes directly to the government for tracking. They know where you are, what you are buying. What happens when "they" dont agree with your purchasing tendencies and cut you off. Your money now becomes a coupon. By allowing a centralized digital currency, we forfeit everything to control.
Old 05-09-2023, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
Maybe you need to do some more research on what a Canadian bank digital currency could mean.
It has zero to do with save the pile of cash and everything to do with control. Every purchase you make goes directly to the government for tracking. They know where you are, what you are buying. What happens when "they" dont agree with your purchasing tendencies and cut you off. Your money now becomes a coupon. By allowing a centralized digital currency, we forfeit everything to control.
If only there was a form of digital currency outside the governments control...
Old 05-09-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
you will never convince someone who thinks the government is here to help. the love the government already, like dear leader.
Old 05-09-2023, 11:21 AM
Banned

Give it a couple of years and you won't need to do your taxes under digital currency - your government is going to do it for you. This has already been announced, it's coming.

Now ask yourself - how are they going to do this? Under digital currency - they know everything. If you want to understand what digital currency combined with digital ID is going to do - look no further than China and other countries. There will be nowhere to hide.

If a person is overweight? Sorry, no junk food for you. Won't be allowed to buy it. Don't have cash, so you can't quietly buy it.

The sad reality, people can't be told, they need to be shown. And once you "see" it, it's already too late. Look at the destruction that Trudeau has accomplished in 3 years, this is not by accident, this isn't from stupidity - it's a plan. Now it's our turn.

Fox Creek and surrounding towns are evacuated - needlessly. Patch has been shut down in many areas. Now the military is coming in. I sincerely hope they start breaking into homes yet again and steal peoples firearms. Maybe that will shake people awake.

My advice, find a "conspiracy theory" friend, cause you're going to need it to understand what's about to hit.

Last edited by spiderweb; 05-09-2023 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-09-2023, 11:47 AM

Having a single form of Government controlled digital currency is the greatest threat to our freedom in this country.
Remember that.

Those who doubt that are best to study up on how it is abused in China, and how Nigeria is well on its way to adopting the same regime.
We are in baby steps mode right now, with China teaching our leaders how to run.
Old 05-09-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Having a single form of Government controlled digital currency is the greatest threat to our freedom in this country.
Remember that.

Those who doubt that are best to study up on how it is abused in China, and how Nigeria is well on its way to adopting the same regime.
We are in baby steps mode right now, with China teaching our leaders how to run.
100%. A digital currency will result in socially or politically "acceptable" uses of that currency and so will virtually eliminate freedom.

"I'm sorry, your government-issued digital passport can no longer be used to purchase firearms or firearm-related accessories. Goodbye."

"I'm sorry, your Facebook post criticizing Dear Leader Justine Trudeau has rendered your digital tokens invalid at this grocery store. Better luck next time."
Old 05-09-2023, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Pretty sure you have to insert your card.
Lol in a seriousness, you won't be able to that's the point. Wanna buy something off kijiji with cash? Nope you can't. Will be all online and you can bet they will track everything to make sure they are getting their taxes. This is a horrible thing.
Old 05-09-2023, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Full blow ostrich man.
Never assume a person's obviously sarcastic comment is a true representation of what their real thoughts are. And don't assume people haven't thought long and hard about things, just because they aren't constantly spewing online.

Some of us saw the inflation that was coming and locked mortgages in and adjusted our investment strategy in 2021 already. And we may have other intelligent thoughts about current affairs and are taking positions that we believe are prudent.

We just don't yell at the clouds.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-09-2023, 12:21 PM

Wink fun with acronyms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Did the survey. Thanks for the link!

Of course, the demographic information part of the survey helps them pigeonhole me as an AOWM.
Asian-Oceanian Women in Mathematics?? Have you been drinking Bud Light recently?

OT- Our current monetary system has been a hybrid of digital/hard currency for decades. Think about how much money goes through your bank account that you never actually see/hold in your hand; it's just a number on a screen.

The people in power (WEF, CCP, UN, EU) learned from the failures of modern economies, Greece in particular, and have devised a plan to increase their control over the general population and prevent such failures from happening in the future.
FTR- Greeks maintained a massive (untaxed) underground cash/barter economy that was identified as part of the cause of their downfall. A government controlled digital currency would prevent this from happening again.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 05-09-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Why would the government care what I buy. Like really.

Do you picture this.

Justin Trudeau’s security update.

At 9:45 Sun bought a small pack of Timbits
At 10:37 Sun bought some Miracle Grow
At 11:30 Sun bought a tapered 9 ft 10 pound trout leader
At 12:30 Sun bought a new patio furniture cover

Security chief. I think we should devalue his play money and see if he smartens up and buys some rechargeable batteries and some vegan food tomorrow. This behaviour has got to be changed.

I agree with Pitman.

The paranoia and conspiracies have blown up due to social media and now it’s exceptionally harder to deduce what could be a factual conspiracy because of all the ludicrous ones circulating.

Like some jibber jabber about the fires not being real and is really some 15 km plan and a land grab and other bullarky. As someone pointed out… the exact same thing is what credit cards do. The exact same information is available to collect with credit cards.

Governments would never undermine their own currency by arbitrarily devaluing a persons account.

In fact they can target the economy by printing more money which devalues the economy. We as workers can work harder and more efficiently which would increase the value of the currency.

Interesting world of internet conspiracies we live in. Interesting times.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-09-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

Do you picture this.

Justin Trudeau’s security update.

At 9:45 Sun bought a small pack of Timbits
At 10:37 Sun bought some Miracle Grow
At 11:30 Sun bought a tapered 9 ft 10 pound trout leader
At 12:30 Sun bought a new patio furniture cover

Security chief. I think we should devalue his play money and see if he smartens up and buys some rechargeable batteries and some vegan food tomorrow. This behaviour has got to be changed.

I agree with Pitman.

The paranoia and conspiracies have blown up due to social media and now it’s exceptionally harder to deduce what could be a factual conspiracy because of all the ludicrous ones circulating.

Like some jibber jabber about the fires not being real and is really some 15 km plan and a land grab and other bullarky. As someone pointed out… the exact same thing is what credit cards do. The exact same information is available to collect with credit cards.

Governments would never undermine their own currency by arbitrarily devaluing a persons account.

In fact they can target the economy by printing more money which devalues the economy. We as workers can work harder and more efficiently which would increase the value of the currency.

Interesting world of internet conspiracies we live in. Interesting times.
Sun tried to buy fishing tackle, well sorry Sun fishing isn't allowed for someone of your race.
Sun tried to buy meat, well sorry Sun you can only eat bugs with that social credit score.
Sun tried to buy fuel for his boat, well sorry Sun have you considered a paddle boat to save the environment?

Covid showed many conspiracy theories were actually conspiracy realities.

But hey, I get it's hard to change your thinking when the government has conditioned you to think they would never commit nefarious acts... MK Ultra, Operation Mocking Bird, Tuskegee Experiment, Operation Northwoods....
Old 05-09-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Why do you think it would be arbitrary?

The government does care what you buy and sell. I sold something just the other day and they needed a copy of my DL as per government rules.
Old 05-09-2023, 12:46 PM

Quote:
The GoC, in conjunction with the banks, recently locked down the financial accounts of multiple citizens because it didn't like the way they thought or acted. It is important to note, that they had not been convicted of any criminal act when this was implemented.
With our current hybrid currency system, the severity of such government overreach can be somewhat mitigated with stacks of hard currency. Once the system goes fully digital, government control is absolute.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 05-09-2023, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Why do you think it would be arbitrary?

The government does care what you buy and sell. I sold something just the other day and they needed a copy of my DL as per government rules.
If ifs and butts were gold… we would all be rich people.

The value of a countries currency to hold its value must be safe. If the government hated you for just because of a but or an if… then it’s no longer safe. If your money is worth more than my money… suddenly the surety of the monetary value is impaired and it would crash.

The government doesn’t suddenly shout… hey… charge that guy more to use he credit card cause we don’t like him.

Plus we are in a democracy. To win some will lie, cheat and steal but they always last a finite term.

The fear and freaking out over the other guys winning always and inevitably swings to the other side saying the same thing… or for all those voting the middle and what’s in it for them versus ideological squabbling means yes… neither side can just suddenly devalue a persons money.

Comparing needing to follow rules set out for society to work and a fear of evil government making you take soma doesn’t work.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-09-2023, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
The GoC, in conjunction with the banks, recently locked down the financial accounts of multiple citizens because it didn't like the way they thought or acted. It is important to note, that they had not been convicted of any criminal act when this was implemented.
With our current hybrid currency system, the severity of such government overreach can be somewhat mitigated with stacks of hard currency. Once the system goes fully digital, government control is absolute.
They used the emergency act and that is the only way that power can be invoked. They can do it again with or without digital currency. So not really an argument.

If one wants to ignore an order to disband a protest deemed illegal then it’s a risk. I suppose one can keep all their money in a mattress at home… and then protest till they get arrested.

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 05-09-2023 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-09-2023, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
Sun tried to buy fishing tackle, well sorry Sun fishing isn't allowed for someone of your race.
Sun tried to buy meat, well sorry Sun you can only eat bugs with that social credit score.
Sun tried to buy fuel for his boat, well sorry Sun have you considered a paddle boat to save the environment?

Covid showed many conspiracy theories were actually conspiracy realities.

But hey, I get it's hard to change your thinking when the government has conditioned you to think they would never commit nefarious acts... MK Ultra, Operation Mocking Bird, Tuskegee Experiment, Operation Northwoods....
Not opening up a subject we’ve been told to keep closed. But fact is very, very, very few conspiracies are ever shown to be true. But hey… if one believes in a million conspiracies one can always claim to have believed in the true ones I suppose. It’s an interesting argument indeed.

We are in the Information Age… and it’s been here a long time.

To not join you can’t be on the internet, use a cellphone, use a credit card, join any organizing or business….

Basically live in the bush like Grizzly Adams or a young Jed Clampett.
Old 05-09-2023, 01:50 PM

From personal experience having your bank account locked arbitrarily for 14 business days is a total pain in the ass.

I was on holiday on the West coast. If I only had one bank account, I would have been stuck unable to buy fuel, food and lodgings.

Luckily I don't keep all my eggs in one basket. It was a mistake on the banks side and there was nothing I could do to convince them that they screwed up. 14 business days was the only answer they could give me.

Imaging a world where everything is in the one digital currency run by the Government. Even a mistake could seriously ruin your day/week/holiday etc....

I don't trust Government not to make mistakes let alone the other nefarious things being suggested.
Old 05-09-2023, 03:14 PM

Default Slow golf clap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Never assume a person's obviously sarcastic comment is a true representation of what their real thoughts are. And don't assume people haven't thought long and hard about things, just because they aren't constantly spewing online.

Some of us saw the inflation that was coming and locked mortgages in and adjusted our investment strategy in 2021 already. And we may have other intelligent thoughts about current affairs and are taking positions that we believe are prudent.

We just don't yell at the clouds.
Well said sir you deserve a slow 1980's movie golf clap
Old 05-09-2023, 03:23 PM

Quote:
They used the emergency act and that is the only way that power can be invoked. They can do it again with or without digital currency. So not really an argument.

If one wants to ignore an order to disband a protest deemed illegal then it’s a risk. I suppose one can keep all their money in a mattress at home… and then protest till they get arrested.
The point is they have done it, and there is nothing stopping them from doing it again; for any reason the dictator in power so chooses. You can choose to believe they won't. Some/many of us believe they will.
Social license is a real thing in our society. With time and blind acceptance, it will slowly morph into a CCP style social credit score, with the accompanying loss of freedom if the authorities don't like your ideas. Digital currency would tie in neatly with the 15 minute cities.
Ignore it at your peril.

The naysayers on this topic remind me of the people who for years adamantly stated
"The Liberals are not after your guns. Stop being such a conspiracy theorist"

Old 05-09-2023, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:

Just wait until that protest is about being able to work because AI has downsized 50% of all workforce within 10km of a metropolitan center. Or because you don't agree with pedophiles being allowed to teach your children. Or, I don't know, your farm getting expropriated because the environment. Or because they are closing grocery stores to make commutes shorter and you just happen to live outside the maximum allowed distance for daily mobility.

One thing I've noticed about Canadians, and people in general, they are really unimaginative when it comes to the future. And the future is coming a lot quicker these days.

After the last 3 years, I'm beginning to enjoy the stupid, confused, almost guilty looks that are becoming permanently etched on a lot of people's previously self righteous faces.
Old 05-09-2023, 06:58 PM

Quote:
The point is they have done it, and there is nothing stopping them from doing it again; for any reason the dictator in power so chooses. You can choose to believe they won't. Some/many of us believe they will.
Social license is a real thing in our society. With time and blind acceptance, it will slowly morph into a CCP style social credit score, with the accompanying loss of freedom if the authorities don't like your ideas. Digital currency would tie in neatly with the 15 minute cities.
Ignore it at your peril.

The naysayers on this topic remind me of the people who for years adamantly stated
"The Liberals are not after your guns. Stop being such a conspiracy theorist"
Good post.

I have a very real question for those that don't believe our society could become like China's; why do you think it won't if the same control measures in place?
I'm not talking about the next 3 years, I'm talking about 10-20 years.
Old 05-09-2023, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Good post.

I have a very real question for those that don't believe our society could become like China's; why do you think it won't if the same control measures in place?
I'm not talking about the next 3 years, I'm talking about 10-20 years.

Population density and sharing the largest undefended border in the world with the USA. Just a couple of thoughts. Hands up for those who have spent a bunch of time in China from which they can draw their conclusions.
Old 05-09-2023, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
Population density and sharing the largest undefended border in the world with the USA. Just a couple of thoughts. Hands up for those who have spent a bunch of time in China from which they can draw their conclusions.
Not sure what population density has to do with government over reach?
Or what sharing a border with the states has to do with whether Canada potentially becomes a (basically) communist country?
They deal with China, and have no issues with how it's governed.

And I'm glad you brought up the U.S..
Seems to me that both parties are quite concerned with the risks to freedom that CBDC's bring.
https://www.coindesk.com/consensus-m...lection-issue/

But then again, they hold their freedom in higher regard than most Canadians seem to...
Old 05-10-2023, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Asian-Oceanian Women in Mathematics?? Have you been drinking Bud Light recently?

OT- Our current monetary system has been a hybrid of digital/hard currency for decades. Think about how much money goes through your bank account that you never actually see/hold in your hand; it's just a number on a screen.

The people in power (WEF, CCP, UN, EU) learned from the failures of modern economies, Greece in particular, and have devised a plan to increase their control over the general population and prevent such failures from happening in the future.
FTR- Greeks maintained a massive (untaxed) underground cash/barter economy that was identified as part of the cause of their downfall. A government controlled digital currency would prevent this from happening again.
Greece having their own currency as well as the Euro also would have stopped it. Why aren’t we looking at Provincial currencies in Canada?
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 05-10-2023, 01:20 AM

Quote:
If ifs and butts were gold… we would all be rich people.

The value of a countries currency to hold its value must be safe. If the government hated you for just because of a but or an if… then it’s no longer safe. If your money is worth more than my money… suddenly the surety of the monetary value is impaired and it would crash.

The government doesn’t suddenly shout… hey… charge that guy more to use he credit card cause we don’t like him.

Plus we are in a democracy. To win some will lie, cheat and steal but they always last a finite term.

The fear and freaking out over the other guys winning always and inevitably swings to the other side saying the same thing… or for all those voting the middle and what’s in it for them versus ideological squabbling means yes… neither side can just suddenly devalue a persons money.

Comparing needing to follow rules set out for society to work and a fear of evil government making you take soma doesn’t work.
Venezuela was once a democracy
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 05-10-2023, 07:35 AM

Interesting how some folks don't see digital currency as a way for government control on your finances. The survey specifically includes in several of the questions reference to "within allowed limits". It's a foregone conclusion that the amounts would be controlled. And we have already had demonstrated for us the willingness to control the finances of individuals they didn't agree with or who don't agree with them.

The only thing I appreciated from the survey was the suggestion (if you can trust it) that access and use of cash would be protected by legislation maybe and digital currency would be another option for those who want to use it.
Old 05-10-2023, 08:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
It's almost like you don't think shutting off the internet is pretty much, now, all it would take for this country to do *whatever it wants* to a huge percentage of the population, and no one would be the wiser.

The idea that 'common decency' exists among the media, the politicians, the medical system, etc, and would thus prevent them from crossing some humanist line? We're this close to a modem Soviet Russia, and look how well population density worked for them.
Old 05-10-2023, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Our population density actually makes us more susceptible to a dictatorship. It’s very hard for a large majority for the people to physically show up in Ottawa to remove a tyrant. It’s much easier in smaller countries. The fact is the trucker convoy is probably the largest protest we’ll ever see in our lifetimes here.
Old 05-10-2023, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Our population density actually makes us more susceptible to a dictatorship. It’s very hard for a large majority for the people to physically show up in Ottawa to remove a tyrant. It’s much easier in smaller countries. The fact is the trucker convoy is probably the largest protest we’ll ever see in our lifetimes here.
Doubt it. We’re just getting started. As government clamps down more and more on civilians over next decade. Expect more pushback. Soverign debt is amongst us. Government broke. Two trillion counting on the federal side, provincial billions, billions. Municipal side…..having difficult times. The trucker revolt taste of what to come. Next time likely won’t be so nice on both sides. Confidence is waning in public sector. Health, policing, education. Alberta likely one better provinces to reside in. However this will be felt everywhere on planet. As all western countries are in same predicament. Russia, China won’t play ball.
Here British arrested protestors denouncing monarchy. Example, after example.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-k-pol...ader-1.6392675

Last edited by lmtada; 05-10-2023 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-10-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Greece having their own currency as well as the Euro also would have stopped it. Why aren’t we looking at Provincial currencies in Canada?
Greece apparently lied like Hell and under stated their economic position, as well , to be accepted into the Euro group.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8