Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
I'm keeping an eye you in your sienna beige mercedes.
Volkswagon Diesel TDI

LC
Old 04-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Volkswagon Diesel TDI

LC
right the black dually model, gotcha!
Old 04-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Actually, many of the hutterite colonies were here long before some of the rejects showing up from england and scotland,,, define foreigner would you? And it would be best to say the big number from that poaching ring were german,, yes, you heard me right, germans,, so from this day forth I will paint all germans with a wide brush and consider them poachers. Numbers don't lie, like the 8% magnitude number bolstering your cause.
Hutterites are one of, if not the worst "group" of people for poaching. Animals such as deer/elk/moose are nothing but fence wreckers and feed eaters, they would rather see them dead than alive as the animals compete with their cattle for forage. Ive seen them net streams and rivers and take thousands of whitefish, pike and walleye out without permission or the proper permits from the government. Hell they dont even use a fishing lisence at the minimum.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakertaker View Post
Hutterites are one of, if not the worst "group" of people for poaching. Animals such as deer/elk/moose are nothing but fence wreckers and feed eaters, they would rather see them dead than alive as the animals compete with their cattle for forage. Ive seen them net streams and rivers and take thousands of whitefish, pike and walleye out without permission or the proper permits from the government. Hell they dont even use a fishing lisence at the minimum.
While I have a few good friends who happen to be Hutterites I will agree with the above.
Years ago when I was a youngster living in Taber one colony was charged cause they were dragging nets through Chin Res. and tilling the fish into the gardens for fertilizer.

True story. Don't think they do it anymore, but I have no real idea either.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakertaker View Post
do you have proof of this?
Old 04-05-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
do you have proof of this?
I have proof and have been witness to "indescretions" from our "colonial friends"

Saved this walleye last year at a Southern Lake with another member here....this was destined to join another illegal walleye and 2 undersized pike in the back of a Gator untill we released it for our "colonial friend".

As an added game guess the weight those good at searching will find the thread this was in already...

LC
Old 04-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have proof and have been witness to "indescretions" from our "colonial friends"

Saved this walleye last year at a Southern Lake with another member here....this was destined to join another illegal walleye and 2 undersized pike in the back of a Gator untill we released it for our "colonial friend".

As an added game guess the weight those good at searching will find the thread this was in already...

LC
Did you report they were poaching at Keho?
Old 04-05-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Did you report they were poaching at Keho?
Seeing as how Loki610 had previously called....and that the Gator had no license plate and the 2 men driving the gator would look like any other 2 men from our "colonial friends" homestead....we were satisfied that when the fish was released and they left and went home.....that the "indescretions" would stop at least for that one day....

The response from Lethbridge would have been at least 20-30mins and as soon as the fish was released they packed up and left. Loki610 and I had our suspiscions earlier but when these men called to borrow our net and then proceeded to try to remove the walleye from the net to take to the Gator....it was confirmed.....although too late.

We were not about to confront the men anymore.....and it was getting close to dark....

I have no doubt the same folks were down there on other days as well doing the same thing....but I have no surveilance or "proof" as it may be to support that claim....

LC
Old 04-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
>many of the hutterite colonies were here long before some of the rejects >showing up from england and scotland,,,
>and if I recall alot of the people caught in that poaching ring were Hutterites, >AKA foreigners
>What im saying is that immigrants might not have the same respect for our >resources, because this isn't their homeland.

This is bigotry and racism. Unless you're native, then every other Canadian is an immigrant or descended from an immigrant, including you.

Assuming that some one is a reject because they come from another country or don't care for natural resources and will automatically poach, shows a lack of education.

Poachers are all nationalities because Canada is made up of all nationalities.

FYI, Canadian law prohibits promoting hated for an identifiable group.

Isn't this forum about fishing?
I guess you got my anger in my post,,, foreigner is a dirty word, I'm a foreigner actually from that stench of a hole known as england and now Canada is home and I'm merely called an ethnic.

As for the law of prohibiting promoting hatred,,, welcome to the forums. Can I offer you a nice hot cup of General Discussion,,, you better have a full prescription of valium on hand or you sir may pop a vessel or two.

Where were we? Ah yes, GERMANS!!!! Still got my eye on you lefty.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Where were we? Ah yes, GERMANS!!!! Still got my eye on you lefty.
Dang it I thought I could throw my 2 relatives from "the colony" under the bus and avoid further detection....

LC
Old 04-05-2012, 05:19 PM

there was a sturgeon ring broken up a few years ago near leader Saskatchewan where a few individuals from the colony were selling sturgeon to a few individuals with restaurants in Calgary. To my knowledge, only the two individuals buying the sturgeon where ever charged with anything.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Seeing as how Loki610 had previously called....and that the Gator had no license plate and the 2 men driving the gator would look like any other 2 men from our "colonial friends" homestead....we were satisfied that when the fish was released and they left and went home.....that the "indescretions" would stop at least for that one day....

The response from Lethbridge would have been at least 20-30mins and as soon as the fish was released they packed up and left. Loki610 and I had our suspiscions earlier but when these men called to borrow our net and then proceeded to try to remove the walleye from the net to take to the Gator....it was confirmed.....although too late.

We were not about to confront the men anymore.....and it was getting close to dark....

I have no doubt the same folks were down there on other days as well doing the same thing....but I have no surveilance or "proof" as it may be to support that claim....

LC
There may be an answer in there but I must have missed It did YOU report them or at least take a picture of them or their gator?
Old 04-05-2012, 07:18 PM

Wink

Has anyone ever seen a black poacher? How about an east indian poacher? Lebonese? Phillipino? Mexican?

Just curious....
Old 04-05-2012, 07:27 PM
pelada trochu

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
All i can say is ATTEND REGIONAL FISHERIES MEETINGS.

Sure we all know that the powers that can make changes and decisions read this forum but its vital you attend in person to voice constructive critisism.

As this thread is about Clear lake, I find it rather confussing that a regional open to public fisheries meeting was held last year and only 7 concerned fisherman attended. Clear Lake was on the discussion table.
1 SRD biologist and 2 Fish and Wildlife Officers were in attendance and answered all questions presented to them.

It also should be stated, that 2 discussions ended in suggestions from joe public fisherman being implemented in the New Regs.

I recomend with all due repsect to Stop pointing fingers at what you believe is the problem and become part of the solution.
when where how who do i speak to to get
C&R only at all lakes
tag purchase for retention. why not spend a buck or two to keep a fish
and absolutely definitely slot sizes for all species,
and tag purchase for trophy retention (well see who wants to drop 50 bucks to keep a trophy fish)

only with tags can you monitor fish retention. ie. anyone with a fish with no tag is a poacher. anyone with a fish and a tag not applied is a poacher.

course in all cases apply common sense, so just the highlighted one above is a must
Old 04-05-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
Has anyone ever seen a black poacher? How about an east indian poacher? Lebonese? Phillipino? Mexican?

Just curious....
Well when I was in the Bahamas I saw several visual majorities poaching parrot fish and such. So yes
Old 04-05-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertafisher View Post
Well when I was in the Bahamas I saw several visual majorities poaching parrot fish and such. So yes
werent you the visible minority down there?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-05-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
werent you the visible minority down there?
That's why I said majority
Old 04-05-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertafisher View Post
That's why I said majority
been a long week, I sit corrected how was the fishing down there? one place Id love to check out

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-06-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
been a long week, I sit corrected how was the fishing down there? one place Id love to check out
No worries! Life happens, I always assume words as well. Trust me it happens, and I understand. I think a little bit of fishing might cure your long-week syndrome. Usually a 3-6 hour session clears me up for the week.
The fishing down there is pretty good, a lot of bait and not many artificial lures used (Which Im a lure fisher more than bait haha). But if you can get over the touristy atmosphere, its a good place to fish.
here are some photos to show you the fishing, hope you enjoy;
P.S. sorry to the original thread owner for slightly derailing this thread slightly!
Brine Swamp

Yellowtail Snapper

Different species of parrotfish

Last edited by Albertafisher; 04-06-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:27 AM

Mutton Snapper

Cero Mackerel

Some Croakers

Sergent Major

Some Species of Silver-fish
Old 04-06-2012, 11:02 AM

The new regulations at Clear will help it recover. I agree that the only way to help fish populations recover in some lakes is stiff regulation, but it requires increased enforcement as well. I would like to see some special regulations for some other lakes in the south that receive a fair amount of fishing pressure. Unfortunately, some people do not see the value in releasing large mature spawning fish and new regulations are required. A trophy C&R lake in the south would be a great option for many fisherman. Perhaps reducing the possesion limit for pike to 2 and a slot size limit would work. This would still allow some harvest and preserve the brood stock. Just a thought.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:19 PM

Thanks alberta fisher this is one thread that i think needed some derailing. Nice picks too!
Old 04-09-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Volkswagon Diesel TDI

LC
Hope your not talking about mine
Old 04-09-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprime27 View Post
Hope your not talking about mine
No I have one too

Just its not beige it is silver

LC
Old 04-09-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelada trochu View Post
when where how who do i speak to to get
C&R only at all lakes
tag purchase for retention. why not spend a buck or two to keep a fish
and absolutely definitely slot sizes for all species,
and tag purchase for trophy retention (well see who wants to drop 50 bucks to keep a trophy fish)

only with tags can you monitor fish retention. ie. anyone with a fish with no tag is a poacher. anyone with a fish and a tag not applied is a poacher.

course in all cases apply common sense, so just the highlighted one above is a must

A public announcement will be made when the dates are set for the meetings. A thread is usually started on this site to announce it also.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren57 View Post
Thanks alberta fisher this is one thread that i think needed some derailing. Nice picks too!

We are all intitled to a opinion and i respect yours but i also very much disagree. There are threads that definitly need a derailing to put them out of their misery.

Do I believe when a SRD Bio reads this thread, he or she will be confussed by the mixed message of how Anglers really feel? YES

Do i believe a thread about our fisheries needs derailling? NO

The efforts of concerned anglers and Fishery personel is vital to improving our fisheries. Even posts that seem way Right or way Left are important. It may lead to a discussion that finds a middle or common acceptance that benifits the fishery, which in turn benifits the anglers.

Change takes work, ignoring alarms and significant warning signs about the state of any fishery never turns out well. In fact that could be one of the greatest issues facing Alberta now, the gate is being closed after the cows have left the corral. I truely believe the SRD has a huge task to monitor our fisheries, maybe to the point its a impossible task. Its only with Angler input and involvement that key indicators be brought forth so that changes can be made before the cows have left the corral.

Early signs, Early detection = possible cure

p.s. I think the thread on the Medicine Hat and area Round Table meeting was one of the Best Fishing threads ever. All the posts with feed back was very interesting and I thank everyone who posted information concerning the meeting. Maybe most important thanks to those guys who attented their regional round table.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:10 PM

Default my 2 cents

I have just been ice fishing for 3 years in Alberta, Have been to Badger, Clear and Newell, really enjoy going to Clear, bar none the best success I have had at all three lakes was a smelt with a gorge hook on the bottom , but sometimes they swallow pretty hard and then you cut the line and send them back not so sure this is the best plan, I would recommend that the hooks be banned
I am 100% C/R guy and want the fisheries to survive
thoughts
Old 04-09-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordfishing View Post
I have just been ice fishing for 3 years in Alberta, Have been to Badger, Clear and Newell, really enjoy going to Clear, bar none the best success I have had at all three lakes was a smelt with a gorge hook on the bottom , but sometimes they swallow pretty hard and then you cut the line and send them back not so sure this is the best plan, I would recommend that the hooks be banned
I am 100% C/R guy and want the fisheries to survive
thoughts

That also has been a recent SRD discussion
Old 04-09-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfrenzy View Post
has anyone ever seen a black poacher? How about an east indian poacher? Lebonese? Phillipino? Mexican?

Just curious....
yup i have the whole damn bunch of em at the same time too.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:03 PM
pelada trochu

thanks chub

i totally support a slot size for walleye and pike, etc.
totally support a tag for trophy retention if you so wish to have it mounted.

this would go a long way to protecting the fishery.

plus a little education would help too. dont see much education material at bass pro or ct. places like that could do alot to help bring awareness to the cause.

not real sure about the idea of banning hooks. i know that certain techniques and attentiveness can prevent deep hooksets better than others. not sure how big a problem it is??? any feedback on this being a problem??

also, i never see tons of fish floating on the surface after a weekend. so i assume any hurt fish are gobbled up by predators. any comments there??
Closed Thread