Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-06-2010, 07:52 AM
troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummerbutt View Post
The score would be less controversial if your face were uncovered. Unless you have something to hide? Nice sheds for sure.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummerbutt View Post
The score would be less controversial if your face were uncovered. Unless you have something to hide? Nice sheds for sure.
x2
Old 02-06-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
x2
x3

Some people dont like there face on the Enet so whats the big deal??

With guys like AlbertDiver and Mtylerb lurking around we should all be more cautious..
Old 02-06-2010, 11:17 AM

Laker , I'll take a stab but hard to tell from the pics. Can you give me a complete side shot of the 2 antlers.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker View Post
Extreme, those are beauties. I do agree with you. you're looking at 75" horns and add the 20" you got a 170gross +/-. I too am a die hard shedder and know what it takes to scoop a beaut set like that. Looks like you got those babies on a field edge and both together..............NICE........ This year the lack of snow in my neck-o-the-woods is making for some great shed hunting.Unfortunately with the low deer numbers the shed numbers will be down.......big time!!
Heres a set I scooped up a couple weekends ago. I know exactly what the scores is(having scored a horn or two in my day).Just curious what the pros on here will estimate for a score??? Too bad he had a broken split G4 on the right side!
Either way Extreme, good luck with your ventures and keep me posted.

Tough to tell from that pic but i will say with a 20" IS..177 7/8
Old 02-06-2010, 01:41 PM

congrats to both of you. both great finds. and yes you get a g4 measurement on every single wtail. there are 4 measurements even if hes a spike. if there is no g4 you measure halfway between the tip of the beam and the g3 for your h4 measuremendt on a 4 pt shed. fact.

and my guess on the above wtail is 168 on teh 5 x 5 frame gross with another 6 for the split g4. 174 ish gross.. howd i do. beauty deer anyway.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:16 PM

I'l shoot for the high road and give it a 178". Can't let BB win
Old 02-06-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock1 View Post
congrats to both of you. both great finds. and yes you get a g4 measurement on every single wtail. there are 4 measurements even if hes a spike. if there is no g4 you measure halfway between the tip of the beam and the g3 for your h4 measuremendt on a 4 pt shed. fact.

and my guess on the above wtail is 168 on teh 5 x 5 frame gross with another 6 for the split g4. 174 ish gross.. howd i do. beauty deer anyway.
not true
Old 02-06-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
not true
care to explain?
Old 02-06-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
care to explain?
You do not get a G4 measurement no matter what. Wicked sheds laker!
Old 02-06-2010, 02:56 PM

I think brock1 meant H4 not G4, his explanation stated what he meant.
I would go with mid 70s gross as well btw.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
You do not get a G4 measurement no matter what. Wicked sheds laker!
I believe he meant to say H4 measurement. you always get 4 circ measurements.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:22 PM

I know hard to tell from a front only. The main beams are 28" and spread is a conservative 21" estimate,I have better pics but I used this one to show that some pics don't really relate size properly...When you have these babies in your hands you know you're holding some real antlers!!
I'll wait for xxxtreme to chime in and give up a guess, as its his post.Plus I think he has a good eye for the obvious!
Old 02-06-2010, 04:02 PM

i meant h4. haha sorry.. you are saying that both of those beams are 28 ". hmmmm great deer bro, but your tape measures broken. or the pic is that out of whack. you may want to send in a side portrait. i see a 4 4/8 g4 and a 4 4/8 g1 on the one side with the best main beam. 5 at best. average mass at 5" for the base and 4 4/8 for h4. so unless those 2s and 3s are 14", the deer is not gonna break mid 70s. please dont think im cutting it down, but like nube, i have been guiding and scoring for over 15 yrs. please include the measurements you got in ur next post if you could. again...great deer.my guess he nets 160ish.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:06 PM

WOW 28 inch mains..............I would like to see those bad boys!
Nice find!
I retract my guess!
Old 02-06-2010, 04:10 PM

Brock, bad tape or maybe he has really big hands so the sheds look smaller.....lol
Old 02-06-2010, 04:11 PM

Thumbs up Very nice pair of sheds!

Thanks for the compliments laker,but I think I will not get into scoring of pictures.Those sheds are huge,amazing!Congratulations on your find!That is going to be a great buck next season.As long as you know what they score is all that matters.To me if I find a big set I dont care what they really score.We know ourselves they are big.It feels great to find a set like that knowing he made it through another hunting season hidden away from all the hunters.Thanks for sharing pictures of a great set of sheds!
Old 02-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Banned

im thinkin about 179 gross typ, 6 inch non-typ point, net around 171 even with 19 inch spread. not a lot of whiteys make 20 inside. great deer. i wish i lived closer to where i hunt. id love to go shedding more but the little guys around home dont excite me much. great find and matched to boot.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:17 PM

If is has 28 inch MB's then I say it is 183 Gross and 171 3/8 net
Old 02-06-2010, 04:27 PM

Nice finds!
The only beams i've ever seen go over 27" is on my wall and its a clean typical
Old 02-06-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxtreme shed hunter View Post
Thanks for the compliments laker,but I think I will not get into scoring of pictures.Those sheds are huge,amazing!Congratulations on your find!That is going to be a great buck next season.As long as you know what they score is all that matters.To me if I find a big set I dont care what they really score.We know ourselves they are big.It feels great to find a set like that knowing he made it through another hunting season hidden away from all the hunters.Thanks for sharing pictures of a great set of sheds!
First of all, I don't recall many people here saying your sheds weren't big. The truth is that is a rare find and anyone would be proud, a BIG congrats. However, you are saying that you don't care about the score but then you post the score in the thread title, kind of contradicting. Many of the guys that have shot out guesses on the scores are usually pretty close to the actual scores. Most people do not like wool pulled over their eyes. If you post a pic of a deer and exagerate the score a bit then you will be questioned. it is the internet and you need a thick skin. I find it odd that people cannot question the score. The burden of proof is on the person who actually hold the antlers. If you actually scored it then why not post the measurments to save face? avoiding this will open the door for you to lose credibility. If you simply guessed the score at 175 and it seems the general concensus is around 165, then either accept that you may have over guessed the score or prove us wrong (either way is fine by me). Those of us that have been around a lot of horn scoring days will often guess the scores and see what they come out too. you can really get good at guessing if you do this enough..

I would guess Lakers buck to gross around 178. That extra point and LONG sweeping main beams help out. It is tough with just the one pic, but that would be my guess.

Great finds guys
Old 02-06-2010, 06:19 PM

Ha, I knew this would get goofy. Brock, i've been guiding and scoring longer than you.So there!!
My comment was that the pic does not show proportion and thats what you guys are ragging on xxxtreme about, you know, like when you take pics of of your clients deer, sometimes they don't look as big as they are in real life.So you take lots of pics and hope that one or two of them show justice.If you've taken enough deer you would know what I'm talking about!!
I too have scored more deer than the odd one.
Judging deer either from trail cam pics or pics like these is an art to say the least. i take pride in having the ability to come pretty close in guessing gross scores myself too.
Ok so heres the tale of the tape for you guys.
Right...83 5/8
Left ....85 0/8 plus 6" extra G4
H measurements are weak at the bases 4 6/8 each but get real good further out. H3s are 6 and H4s 6 4/8 and 7 4/8. I know I did not give you side shots and its not fair to ask for a bang on score. Most of you got pretty dang close even though..
And I agree 20" inside is not to commom, I too have a FEW on the wall that exceed 20". This one might be 20 4/8 not 21!!!
Old 02-06-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker View Post
Ha, I knew this would get goofy. Brock, i've been guiding and scoring longer than you.So there!!
My comment was that the pic does not show proportion and thats what you guys are ragging on xxxtreme about, you know, like when you take pics of of your clients deer, sometimes they don't look as big as they are in real life.So you take lots of pics and hope that one or two of them show justice.If you've taken enough deer you would know what I'm talking about!!
I too have scored more deer than the odd one.
Judging deer either from trail cam pics or pics like these is an art to say the least. i take pride in having the ability to come pretty close in guessing gross scores myself too.
Ok so heres the tale of the tape for you guys.
Right...83 5/8
Left ....85 0/8 plus 6" extra G4
H measurements are weak at the bases 4 6/8 each but get real good further out. H3s are 6 and H4s 6 4/8 and 7 4/8. I know I did not give you side shots and its not fair to ask for a bang on score. Most of you got pretty dang close even though..
And I agree 20" inside is not to commom, I too have a FEW on the wall that exceed 20". This one might be 20 4/8 not 21!!!
83 5/8
91 0/8
20 4/8

195 1/8 ?? Am i right?

Wow That tine length adds up pretty quick

So with the busted point it would have been over 200 ..

Great pics and thx for posting...

I have a buck coming back from the taxi soon with a 24 1/4 inch inside spread
Old 02-06-2010, 07:22 PM

You bet Brown......add em up. The G2s are 11 5/8, 10 2/8 and the 3's are 10 5/8 and 10 and 46 7/8" mass.
A good eye can see 11" tines in a pic.
That wide buck of yours will look awesome I bet. I do not believe I have ever held a 24"+ spread buck.You outta be proud of that baby!!
Old 02-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Banned

this guess the score stuff is fun. this buck was the "GUESS THE SCORE" deer at the med hat trophy day. the winning guess missed by 9 4/8 inches. good luck. oh, we were looking for NET typical score.

no cheatin you guys that already know
Old 02-06-2010, 11:05 PM

Some of you guys really need to take a chill pill and just kick back for awhile. Certainly some jumpy people out there.

To all you antler measurers who are guides, outfitters or do it your selfers. I have purchesed well over 1000 sheds from Alberta and Saskatchewan, and most of these sheds were supposedly scored before I took posession, afterall, its a way for me to know what I'm getting....yea right! Almost to a tee just about every shed has been scored wrong and long, so much to the point that now when I purchase something I just automatically subtract 5 inches from the singles and 10 inches from the sets. I can count on one hand the number of sheds I've purchased from Canada that have been scored right. This is in comparison to official scores either by myself (yes, I am an official measurer for several record books) or other certified measurers. Not implying that knowone can measure, but accurate scores are few are far between. Some sheds dont need scores simply because big is big. Just had a guy come over last night with a supposed 91 inch typical. "Scored it many times" was his comment. When it was scored correctly it was an 84 inch shed. He paid a bunch of money for this antler and supposedly had it sold to another guy for a big profit. Turns out the buyer turned him down and wont even consider buying it from the guy anymore. I love seeing big sheds, so please post away. But lets just let the scores posted be dome losely...no need to jump a guy over a score that is not official.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:32 PM

Plumber, guess thats why people go big on score.....their hoping it'll be worth some big money.Question as you seem to now a little about antlers........how much $ will an 80" single go for? And it sounds like the jump from an 80 to a 90" is worth tweaking the score a little. For me The score is the score, I have no reason to fake it a little....could care less what it scores or what people think it scores. i have book deer that have not been scored by the Officials and mean the same to me one way or the other. So yes don't really know why peeps get all worked up.