Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-09-2013, 03:47 PM

Fantastic idea, I wish you the best of luck with it.

I've approached a few friends with a similar idea. Not for hunting per-say, just recreational land.

Was looking to buy a 1/4 section with either a couple leases or half broke for some revenue to cover the taxes. $20k buy in, $200/month each. Made sense at 3-5 guys. I think it'd get a bit crowded at 10 guys, but maybe not.

The idea was just to cut a main road, throw a few grand in gravel down, and make RV pads for now.

Also, we said that in addition to the $200/month for the mortgage, there was a $100/month "improvement fund". Used to do a couple improvements each year, drill a well, improve the road, etc.

You have to do it with fair minded and decent people, and it has to be people who have the spare money. If you try to include people who can't afford a couple hundred a month, you WILL have problems. They will argue over every single detail.

Anyway, we found a perfect piece of land, but someone moved faster. Still on the lookout though.

Best of luck, I hope it works well. I might try cutting back the number of people and increasing the $ to buy in so you know you are getting people who can afford it and won't be a headache later.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eze View Post
I think the day is coming where you will need to belong to a club as landowners. look at the USA, its landowner, lease holders and clubs of those land and leases to get to hunt the prime areas.
I guess that would be the time where I will hang my boots and hunt dangerous games on the tv

This might be a result when some landowner start daring others. "go buy your land" "I have 62 sections of prime whitetail habitat but you can not hunt it go buy yours". I hope they pick the area near this landowners.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:18 PM

it's an excellent idea. you will get racked over the coals for everything you post. it's an open forum and when i put my questions out there, i better be prepared for some opinions i don't agree with.

good luck to you and your buddies.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:09 PM

Try and get your land hugged up against crown land, better acess to more land.
Harder to get now it seems, but there is land like this out there.
We paid $54K for our first quarter 6 yrs ago, and $79K for our second quarter 2 yrs ago. 3 different families on title.
Investment over time for sure, our est value now with improvements is $160k.
If we'd bought 2 new trucks for example, value of them would be $30-$40k maybe.
Good luck.

TBark

Last edited by TBark; 10-09-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:28 PM

I can't believe how many whiners are on this forum that think people actually care about there opinions. It's pretty sad.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
10 guys with 5 grand is 50 grand, don't know of any farm land selling for 50 grand a quarter. Most counties only allow one or two dwellings per quarter.
A 1/4 of muskeg maybe.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse2004 View Post
I can't believe how many whiners are on this forum that think people actually care about there opinions. It's pretty sad.
I know, and yet day in and day out someone asks for opinions on everything from love to life. Crazy ain't it? .

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-09-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse2004 View Post
Old 10-09-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Think you're gonna need a little more structure than that to get a mortgage. Probably some sort of corporation where all your buddies are legally part owners. .
Bingo.

Will need to set up a corporation / holding company to do this unless you feel like spending the next 10 years of your life suing your best friends.

Its an idea that can work. I have considered it myself on occasion except am way to greedy to share control over my money with anybody but my wife.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:24 PM

Smile Oh Dear..

I try to explain this to my son, no luck I fear.

I'll try here, what problem are you trying to solve, I'm guessing the access issue, and that I understand well, who wants hassels with the land owners. No one.

Here is my suggestion; buy good farmland that some one will want to rent and farm. Young farmers can't raise money as easily as we can. Form a corporation as has been suggested, get a loan from Farm Credit, with the cash you have that will work just fine. Put and ad in the local paper list the land for cash rent. Pick a good young farmer.

You are now a neighbour not a carpet bagger and the land will be looked after.

By hunting season the crop will be off.

The county will allow you put up a house per 1/4 and all the holiday trailers that you want.

The other neighbours will probably give you permission to hunt their land, deals will be brought to you to finance more land purchases.

This is a fair way to handle access problems, but you can't just leave the land to grow weeds.

Go for it. I'm doing it now.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:36 PM

Try and get your land hugged up against crown land, better acess to more land.
Harder to get now it seems, but there is land like this out there.

good advice to people that want more space. I have some and will hold the mortgage.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:12 PM

Same with us too Eze, but ours is not for sale.
Might be some day, but far from now though.
One bush quarter and one connecting field quarter hugging crown, twin cabins, wood shelter, outhouse, C3 heated shower, storage shed, fire pits, running creek, Four 18 ft tower huts with heaters overlooking open areas. A few mobile tripod Big Game stands and a few leaner tree ladder stands.
Could handle 2-3 families or 8 hunters easily. The most our group has had hunting at once was 5.

Good luck with this venture, you'll get a good feeling inside when it's all done and final with names on title.

TBark
Old 10-09-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Same with us too Eze, but ours is not for sale.
Might be some day, but far from now though.
One bush quarter and one connecting field quarter hugging crown, twin cabins, wood shelter, outhouse, C3 heated shower, storage shed, fire pits, running creek, Four 18 ft tower huts with heaters overlooking open areas. A few mobile tripod Big Game stands and a few leaner tree ladder stands.
Could handle 2-3 families or 8 hunters easily. The most our group has had hunting at once was 5.

Good luck with this venture, you'll get a good feeling inside when it's all done and final with names on title.

TBark
all i have is some bush and hay. oh yea lots of game. . It attaches to 1 mile x half mile of crown with private land on all 4 sides and no hunting. looks like you have done a great set up with your land, good for you
Old 10-09-2013, 10:14 PM

Just to keep all of you in the loop, there are appr 6 of us now.
Still open places for the initial meeting!
If you PM, please include full name with ph number and email address!
Thanks
Dan
Old 10-10-2013, 01:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
I think the day is coming where you will need to belong to a club as landowners. look at the USA, its landowner, lease holders and clubs of those land and leases to get to hunt the prime areas.

MANY WAYS TO SET UP RULES I PRESUME. have buy out clauses, time share etc.

seems to work other places so maybe it will work here. I am thinking start off with 4 guys and build on it or many sets of 4 partners on diff land. keep the numbers lower, less problems and use lawyer for your contract.

Nothing farmers or landowners can do in the area, you own the land. Alot of farm land now seems to be for recreational purposes. i know of many quarters that were bought for hunting. Better investment that RRSP, my opinion
Got a horse in this race?

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=174929

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=154665

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=85798

There was another as well...couldn't find it.

For my part I think that this is wrong minded.

It amounts to a guy saying...let me hunt grizzly...I want to get one before they are all gone.

The only reason that hunting in the US has become what it has is that this sort of thinking prevailed and the only reason paid access became the norm is because once all the land was snapped up...people wanted to exploit it to pay taxes or turn a buck....and there were plenty of guys looking for somewhere to hunt.

Folks can do whatever they wish and one gropup doing this is of no concern but...if the idea catches on there is nothing stopping extremely wealthy individuals or corporations from snapping ip all sorts of land then lobbying the gvovernment to allow paid access.

The mirrors the situation that exists with game farmers... selling to caged hunts out of province and then banding together to lobby for the same thing here.

Nobody wants to knock one guys dream but years later...they will all wish they had.

JMHO.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:38 AM

Big Daddy...this is for some the only way for them to get to have ownership in land for their recreational use, by forming a group. Land is getting high priced these days and will only continue to rise down the road. Like said, they are not nmaking any more of it.

This doesnt mean it has to get like the USA just people wanting to own land to enjoy with family and friends at certain times of the year or year round.

There are some that want to look at the worst of it, and those could be ones that can not come up with financing, hate for hunters, or what ever they can find fault with.

As far as hunting goes, nothing like you own space, dont need permission, set land up as you want with a cabin, etc. Now the people coming to you for permission.

People have dreams , nothing wrong with that and some come a reality.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:47 AM

it's all ready being done. its sad that people complain about what others do with their own money.

jealousy i guess.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:52 AM

Being a land owner and a hunter I'm not so sure I'd be to enthused about seeing a group like this in my area. The neighbors around my area are all hunters or support hunting and I don't think they would appreciate the extra pressure it would put on the area. It seems like every body has a friend so the ten shareholders now become twenty hunters. One group of four can put in on same draw and get 4 moose tags. Nothing saying you'll harvest 4 moose but nothing saying you won't. Awful lot of pressure in my mind but have at it and good luck.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:38 AM

There is no one that ever went afield that has not dreamed of owning their own little piece of hunting land. I have permission on many private quarters and just don't feel comfortable there regardless of how friendly the farmers are and the fact that they really want the populations of critters controlled. I feel like I am begging or borrowing every time I call them. I hunt 99% Crown land because of this.

Having said that, if one is honest with one's self this has very little to do with ease of access and everything to do with restricting access of others. What we really want is space to enjoy ourselves without being bothered by other's physical presence or the mental illusion of being a low life squatter which is the case with me.

We already have a couple of wonderful organizations that provide just that. The ACA and DU needs our support to continue. They secure thousands of miles of prime habitat, not only for our selfish endeavors but for the future of hunting and wildlife. By supporting these groups we are counted, heard and looked upon in a positive light.

I know the spots are far between and often crowded but the answer is securing more land for our children and grand children. Isolating ourselves on private sections immediately provokes an us/them mentality. Yes you have every right to buy as much land as you like but realize you are closing doors on those that can not afford to buy land and starting down a dangerous road where only the wealthy can afford to hunt.

You may own the land, but those are our animals that live there. Can you see a future where our children and grand children can only look across the fences of those that own the land? Can you understand that once the deck is stacked there is no turning back as the US has discovered.

I believe we should be harassing the Government until there is easy foot access to all leased land, without permission after October 1st. I would like to see all nonfarmed leased land like sloughs and lakes open year round and cattle access to these wet areas restricted to conserve the wetlands. I would also like to see all of our leased land clearly marked with signage similar to the ACA sites with a map showing neighboring homes/roads and contact information for the lease holder. And finally, I would like to see more and mandatory involvement with conservation organizations if a person uses these or government lands.

Rather than a few of us getting together to buy some land, we should all stand together and demand access to the land we have already purchased and purchase back land that is being selfishly hoarded by the elitists among us.

No offense intended to the OP.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
We already have a couple of wonderful organizations that provide just that. The ACA and DU needs our support to continue. They secure thousands of miles of prime habitat, not only for our selfish endeavors but for the future of hunting and wildlife. By supporting these groups we are counted, heard and looked upon in a positive light.

You may own the land, but those are our animals that live there. Can you see a future where our children and grand children can only look across the fences of those that own the land? Can you understand that once the deck is stacked there is no turning back as the US has discovered.

Rather than a few of us getting together to buy some land, we should all stand together and demand access to the land we have already purchased and purchase back land that is being selfishly hoarded by the elitists among us.
Best response ever
Old 10-10-2013, 09:21 AM

There is no one that ever went afield that has not dreamed of owning their own little piece of hunting land

100% agree thats why many partner up so they can if they can not afford on their own

You may own the land, but those are our animals that live there.

100% agree but you can not hunt them if owner says no to you. Just like, if you see the animals on your neighbours land all you can do is look if you dont have permission.

Yes you have every right to buy as much land as you like but realize you are closing doors on those that can not afford to buy land and starting down a dangerous road where only the wealthy can afford to hunt.

100% agree but its already happening and dont believe it will stop

people get tired of harrassing for change which never seems to come so move on and do what ever it takes for thier enjoyment.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
There is no one that ever went afield that has not dreamed of owning their own little piece of hunting land

100% agree thats why many partner up so they can if they can not afford on their own

You may own the land, but those are our animals that live there.

100% agree but you can not hunt them if owner says no to you. Just like, if you see the animals on your neighbours land all you can do is look if you dont have permission.

Yes you have every right to buy as much land as you like but realize you are closing doors on those that can not afford to buy land and starting down a dangerous road where only the wealthy can afford to hunt.

100% agree but its already happening and dont believe it will stop

people get tired of harrassing for change which never seems to come so move on and do what ever it takes for thier enjoyment.
Your earlier posts regarding restricting access to more private land not only today but into the future proves you are part of the problem not the solution. This latest post just confirms your stance.

To each their own, but I find your two faced approach to land management laughable. This is a hunting forum where folks like to discuss their God given right to enjoy the bounty of the land. We are conservationists first and foremost as no one has more to lose than us. You are under the impression that we should not be trusted with this responsibility and should be policed beyond our limited understanding. You believe that you should create more posted land to save the environment from the likes of us.

You sir are among the elitist group that I mention above in my previous post.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
There is no one that ever went afield that has not dreamed of owning their own little piece of hunting land. I have permission on many private quarters and just don't feel comfortable there regardless of how friendly the farmers are and the fact that they really want the populations of critters controlled. I feel like I am begging or borrowing every time I call them. I hunt 99% Crown land because of this.

Having said that, if one is honest with one's self this has very little to do with ease of access and everything to do with restricting access of others. What we really want is space to enjoy ourselves without being bothered by other's physical presence or the mental illusion of being a low life squatter which is the case with me.

I know the spots are far between and often crowded but the answer is securing more land for our children and grand children. Isolating ourselves on private sections immediately provokes an us/them mentality. Yes you have every right to buy as much land as you like but realize you are closing doors on those that can not afford to buy land and starting down a dangerous road where only the wealthy can afford to hunt.

I believe we should be harassing the Government until there is easy foot access to all leased land, without permission after October 1st. I would like to see all nonfarmed leased land like sloughs and lakes open year round and cattle access to these wet areas restricted to conserve the wetlands. I would also like to see all of our leased land clearly marked with signage similar to the ACA sites with a map showing neighboring homes/roads and contact information for the lease holder. And finally, I would like to see more and mandatory involvement with conservation organizations if a person uses these or government lands.

No offense intended to the OP.

I couldnt agree more!...great post
Old 10-10-2013, 10:28 AM

Sounds like a solid idea that needs a bit of working out as a group, not a lot of money to lose even if it goes south. Keeping the land as a working farm is the key ( in my opinion ) with the ability to call the shots for land improvements. You will be in position to leave good amounts of cover along fence lines, dig dugouts, crop choice's, etc. to benefit wildlife first while at the same time collecting rent from someone who appreciates having the land to farm. We've all seen those farms that are wildlife magnets and you will be in a position to create one as your first priority is hunting not farming.
Ten people sounds like a lot but most will never be there at the same time ( some may never come ) and others will use it frequently. Possibly some rules such as time share????
I have to admit I've toyed with the same idea many times including doing it with my place in the QCI's . It somehow seems wrong to have a place, truck and boat unused 11 months of the year when their are other like minded people around.
Good luck and I look forward to hearing of you success
Old 10-10-2013, 10:31 AM

Joys of being a landowner, protect the animals or hunt them. I can do both have enough land
Old 10-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Banned

I think the way this works is allowing easy access to all neighbours.
Seems only fair. With 10 guys minimum, the group has to be on be on great terms with all the neighbours.
Perhaps a locked gate with keys distributed to all neighbours.
Or a locked gate with a sign stating access granted, key hid, call for details.

My dream is to help develop a piece of property that would see meadows and trails along with permant tree stands/houses.

Put in a trap field, have some marshy lowlands for ducks, proper crops for the animals, a waterway that held fish, big fire pit, outdoor smoker, a small useable cabin with wood heat and a big covered deck.

Ahhhh dreams!!!

Keep working on it, if anything, it's fun to dream about.

Jamie
Old 10-10-2013, 10:46 AM

Online Land Auction | Ducks Unlimited Canada

ww3.ducks.ca/cgibin/www.cgi?tp=BR&pg=CBW051B&ab=1&kn=A&kp=LAND&f
I dunno if this type of stuff would work for what you have in mind
Old 10-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Big Daddy...this is for some the only way for them to get to have ownership in land for their recreational use, by forming a group. Land is getting high priced these days and will only continue to rise down the road. Like said, they are not nmaking any more of it.

This doesnt mean it has to get like the USA just people wanting to own land to enjoy with family and friends at certain times of the year or year round.

There are some that want to look at the worst of it, and those could be ones that can not come up with financing, hate for hunters, or what ever they can find fault with.

As far as hunting goes, nothing like you own space, dont need permission, set land up as you want with a cabin, etc. Now the people coming to you for permission.

People have dreams , nothing wrong with that and some come a reality.
Thats all well and fine assuming that one accepts the premise that you must own land to hunt on.
I do not.

And just because something does not HAVE to get like it is in the states does not mean it will not.
Once that can of worms is opened...birds from all over will come to feed... many of of them from the USA.

My thought that having a secure launch point to hunt from requires no more than a place to park a trailer or friendly landwoners... of which we have a lot of both.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
it's all ready being done. its sad that people complain about what others do with their own money.

jealousy i guess.
No... in fact by definition the jealosy would be that of those so jeolouse thet they would try to find ways to not have to share a resource with others.

My only concern is that we become a land of caged hunts for elitists only.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:33 AM

regardless of setting up a corp or holding company, no bank will do this without personal guarantees of all involved. little messy. thinking less is more if you can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Bingo.

Will need to set up a corporation / holding company to do this unless you feel like spending the next 10 years of your life suing your best friends.

Its an idea that can work. I have considered it myself on occasion except am way to greedy to share control over my money with anybody but my wife.