Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-22-2010, 03:10 PM

Question coyotes down by the coulees

I was wondering if any of you guys seen coyotes down by the coulees when hunting around Onefour/Milk River? I was thinking about heading down there to hunt coyotes.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid View Post
I was wondering if any of you guys seen coyotes down by the coulees when hunting around Onefour/Milk River? I was thinking about heading down there to hunt coyotes.
???

Since it is your first post, I am going to assume you are not being rhetorical.

YES, there are THOUSANDS of coyotes in the area. You still need permission on private and crown lease lands (everywhere is either private or crown lease - there is no "public access" lands).

I do not know if I would bother heading down there for yotes yet. Antelope have been open for a few days, and one deer season starts every dog in the country will be heading a long way from the roads. Better to wait until mid December when things quiet down, and then go try some calling, IMO.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:44 PM

Default Good to know (about the coyotes, I mean)

Thanks Pudelpointer,

Yup, I am just really new to AO forum, and hunting in Alberta. Good to know, and I will go take a look down the coulees in December for them coyotes.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:54 PM

Default Huntin in 102

I have been hunting in 102 for most of the past 20 years and never been skunked. If you are looking for huge herds than you may be disappointed. This year we got a 5x5 muley buck, and two 4x4 whiteys. We had to work for 2 out of the three bucks with lots of walking. As mentioned in past posts some long rope/cable is a huge help - ours is around 500 feet and a real back saver.

In the neighboring zone (118) there was a good sized 9x10 muley buck taken out so they are around!

Good luck huntin!
Old 11-08-2010, 05:26 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
I have been hunting in 102 for most of the past 20 years and never been skunked. If you are looking for huge herds than you may be disappointed. This year we got a 5x5 muley buck, and two 4x4 whiteys. We had to work for 2 out of the three bucks with lots of walking. As mentioned in past posts some long rope/cable is a huge help - ours is around 500 feet and a real back saver.

In the neighboring zone (118) there was a good sized 9x10 muley buck taken out so they are around!

Good luck huntin!
Why in native grass country do you guys have to screw around? You guys and your spools of rope. When I see a spool of rope in the back of a parked truck in native grass areas where there is no driving off roads, the rope disappears. Learn to debone and put on a frame pack like everyone else, please.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 11-08-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Why in native grass country do you guys have to screw around? You guys and your spools of rope. When I see a spool of rope in the back of a parked truck in native grass areas where there is no driving off roads, the rope disappears. Learn to debone and put on a frame pack like everyone else, please.
Cuz it is alot easier to get them out of the bottom of some of the coulees with the truck than to pack them out. When we can, we load them with quads or other atvs and bring them out that way too. We leave them hang the whole week we are there...
Old 11-08-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Wow, your so much of a better person for stealing somebody's rope. Gotta love the field wardens like you out there! If only we could be all the perfect hunter guys like you are everyday and be born that way so we wouldn't have to learn either!
Old 11-08-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Deer numbers and quality are way down. If you are planning on the Pinhorn good luck as they have did alot of fencing so you will be doing lots of walking. It wouldn't be my first choice for a big Mulie.
Im with ram crazy hunted down there and unless you want to walk 20 miles of up and down large steep coulees, pack out for 1 to 2 hours and are extremely fit. your success will be small. I covered that area for one week straight and all I saw was 10 good size bucks. I would say one maybe two were trophy size .
where I saw them would have been a long pack out and would have taken a person well over 3 hours to get them out. chances r that if it got warm the meat would turn by the time you made three trips. I personally will never apply for a Mule buck there . does maybe . If you do pack lots of water. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
After re-reading I did some more thinkin... If I saw someone removing anything from my truck while I was out walking I'd do everything I could to make sure that you were charged... If you need a 100 foot piece of rope that bad, by all means take it, even though it is theft... As for the 300 foot piece of cable and brackets that is a bit more cost so I'd be more inclined to press charges..
I suppose you are out looking in the cabs and boxes of parked trucks anyways for anything else that you may not like? That may not be a good idea during hunting season...
Old 11-08-2010, 06:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
I hunt 118 for muleys and done scouting in late august. 2008 I would see 5-10 160 or so muleys at first light, 2009 I saw a few 160s over 5 mornings but this year I think I saw one that size. Trophy quality and muley numbers have just plumeted.
I'm hunting 118 found a 180, and two 200 plus during loper season think I could find them now nope. As for 102 there are tons of big deer just get out there and pound the coulees with your feet why would we tell you our secrects the we have spent the last 20 years learning figure it out on your own.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:57 AM

Default early season archery???

I know this is an old post, but was wondering if anyone had any experience with Sept/Oct archery mule deer hunting in 102. There seems to be lots of talk on rifle hunting late season, but am wondering what earlier in the year is like.

And yes, I plan on hiking a lot. Not afraid to put miles on the boots and pack out.

Second question, what are the rules on camping out for a week in Pinhorn?

Thanks,

Doc