Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-07-2015, 12:29 PM

Hey bud, call me and I'll get you "Hook-up" for your PAL. Snare pole is your best bet for now. Call me when you can, if I can come do trap checks with you, I will. You can use my gun under supervision. I also have a .22 rifle you can use if you don't have one.

BMR
Old 12-07-2015, 07:11 PM

any bullet/pellet to a body is gonna create blood.
a (good) choke pole is very effective and no blood.
win/win
Old 12-07-2015, 08:50 PM

Silly question probably, but in cases like this or a wounded dog when out rifle hunting, how about an aluminum ball bat? Or does it not offer enough standoff?
Old 12-07-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolHammer View Post
Silly question probably, but in cases like this or a wounded dog when out rifle hunting, how about an aluminum ball bat? Or does it not offer enough standoff?
I wouldn't. Doesnt look to good either walking around with a rifle and a base ball bat. Use a "walking stick".
Chances are if you wound a yote with your rifle, your going to either lose it as it runs off. Or put another round in it when it's on the ground still moving.Would be pretty stupid imho to try and take a swing at a wounded, unrestrained, pizzed off yote.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:07 PM

Well it's looking like I am going to try with a snare pole but BMR has agreed to come with his .22 to help me if something doesn't go right, and if the snare pole isn't doing the job humanely. If the snare pole works well then I will be using this method until I get my PAL. Thank you everyone for your input.
I should add, I was carrying my trap setters today and if need be I think they would be more than enough for a dispatch tool as well, although I do not prefer this method. Should be trying this real soon.

As I stated before, I have 1 Victor Soft Catch #1.5 and 1 #3. No modifications except disposable anchors on a 3 foot cable (I think). For those that foot hold trap lots, I would really appreciate any input on what set / how to make it I should be looking into using. Thank you guys.

Nick
Old 12-07-2015, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmountainrider View Post
Hey bud, call me and I'll get you "Hook-up" for your PAL. Snare pole is your best bet for now. Call me when you can, if I can come do trap checks with you, I will. You can use my gun under supervision. I also have a .22 rifle you can use if you don't have one.

BMR
That's really nice of you BMR!
Old 12-07-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro1 View Post
I wouldn't. Doesnt look to good either walking around with a rifle and a base ball bat. Use a "walking stick".
Chances are if you wound a yote with your rifle, your going to either lose it as it runs off. Or put another round in it when it's on the ground still moving.Would be pretty stupid imho to try and take a swing at a wounded, unrestrained, pizzed off yote.
Walking stick is a good idea , I also have a reduced load I carry for follow up finishers out of my rifle when I don't want a big hole .
Old 12-07-2015, 11:58 PM

sometimes if circumstances dictate (nothing else handy) a 24" pipe wrench has been used. small caliber to the thinker is best. Or the choke stick as has been stated.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:39 AM
Banned

Nick, Have you thought about going with snares until you can get a PAL and buy a cheap single shot .22? Snares are cheap as heck and just because you have the traps doesn't mean that you have to use them right away. Snares might be a good option.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Nick, Have you thought about going with snares until you can get a PAL and buy a cheap single shot .22? Snares are cheap as heck and just because you have the traps doesn't mean that you have to use them right away. Snares might be a good option.

I agree. And cheap to buy so you can have a few out.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Lol.....there was a fella on here last year that said that he used a .22 pellet pistol to dispatch coyotes. He said that he'd just put it up against the back of his ear. My question was, how do you get the pistol up against its ear?

Time to experiment, I don't have a 495 fps pellet gun but I have a .22 Soeger X10 pellet rifle that I can shoot a snared coyote with before I skin it to see if it penetrates the skull. I'm thinking that mine might, but I'm not sure about a 495 fps one would though. Who's got one to carry out this highly scientific experiment?
Dropped a couple when I was a kid, hunting gophers. One body shot, at about 5 yards. one head shot on a half-pancaked yote just off a road. Both died quickly, but I never skinned them to know exactly what it did.

Unfortunately I don't have that gun anymore or I'd let you try it out.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Unfortunately I don't have that gun anymore or I'd let you try it out.
I have a coyote hanging and a .22 pellet rifle but it's the higher fps one that you need a PAL for. If the rifle is here and not at the lake I'll try it before skinning and post a picture of the results. I've seen gopher shot with a 495 fps pellet rifle and I have my doubts that it would penetrate the skull of a coyote.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Dave, I spoke to Nick last night. In the area he is trapping, the Landowner did not agree to the use of snares on the Landowner consent form. He is really looking forward to getting some "Firsts" in his trapping career, but wants in every way to respect the Landowners wishes.

BMR
Old 12-09-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmountainrider View Post
Dave, I spoke to Nick last night. In the area he is trapping, the Landowner did not agree to the use of snares on the Landowner consent form. He is really looking forward to getting some "Firsts" in his trapping career, but wants in every way to respect the Landowners wishes.

BMR
Thank you BMR. This is right Dave, I have 20 snares that I really wish I could use but none of the landowners I have permission from have agreed to snares. The one piece of land is an awesome coyote snaring area but it is not an option, I will get my PAL ASAP and in about a week I will use try a snare pole with BMR and his .22 in case something does not go right. Looking like footholding is going to me the most of my coyote harvest for the foreseeable future, thank you again to everyone for their input!
Nick