Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-26-2013, 10:14 PM

Relax guys... They are clearly not identified in the regulation .. So take a pill
Old 05-26-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnafterwork View Post
Relax guys... They are clearly not identified in the regulation .. So take a pill
All the more reason to NOT keep it!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 05-26-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I just want to know what species it is lol.

Hard to mistake something for a tilapia, especially when they know what a perch looks like.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
All the more reason to NOT keep it!
You are allowed to keep any and all fish not considered sport fish. Says right in the regs.

"Non-game fish – no restriction on the numbers kept."
Old 05-26-2013, 10:55 PM

Default tilapia

funny thing was at dewitts today and seen a fish there along sure that looked like tilapia to me. i thought it was dead and tryied to hook it out just assumed someone was using it as bait till i noticed it was still breathing and moved out of reach.it was banged up pretty bad i got a pic on my phone
Old 05-26-2013, 11:02 PM

I agree about keeping them. As long as you have researched enough to be sure its not native to Alberta. An illegally or accidentally introduced species into a river or lake could be disastrous. A quick web search would tell you if the government introduced a species intentionally. You can even call F&W and they would have that information available. Without the research I would probably release the fish but I would be following up and getting in touch with some officials.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:02 PM

Sundancefisher is right. These are Prussian Carp and can be caught quite easily with worms. I am questioning how the hell somebody thought they were tilapia since the carp are just silver goldfish.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:18 PM
Banned

Old 05-27-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavCanoe View Post
You are allowed to keep any and all fish not considered sport fish. Says right in the regs.

"Non-game fish – no restriction on the numbers kept."
Sure does, but if you can't correctly ID the fish in question....?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 05-27-2013, 08:31 AM

Come on now geezle.... Kinda making a mountain of a mole hill.... I had one of these wash up on shore at the ssr....all the game fish of Alberta are clearly listed and if this one was not then keep it... We don't have to know everything as anglers but it does seem he was confident enough to know it wasn't an Alberta game fish.....good job on the fish to the op... Keep it up
Old 05-27-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Sure does, but if you can't correctly ID the fish in question....?
My point exactly....

" I didn't know it was a sturgeon....I thought it looked like a barracuda and they are not a game fish here...."

LC
Old 05-27-2013, 08:42 AM

Come on guys get real.....there's a huge difference here.... The op isn't stupid ... I understand your point but your trying to use this as a lesson to release all fish your unsure about.... We can play tit for tat all day but bring an invasive species it's a good thing he kept them outta the water...the op might not have know it was a carp but he clearly realized it wasn't a freshwater barracuda ..!?!

Know your Alberta game fish.... Keep your regs handy...I had this argument with nsr monger.... Now u 2 don't want me to compare u to him do ya.....
Old 05-27-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Kinda making a mountain of a mole hill.

Ignorance does NOT excuse anyone from the regulations which govern and protect our wildlife resources.

If you don't know what the fish is - throw it back!

This thread is an eye opener;

How many people don't read the regulations?

How many people ignore the regulations?

How many people voice their defiance of the regulations on an online message board, and encourage others to do so as well????........?
Old 05-27-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Come on guys get real.....there's a huge difference here.... The op isn't stupid ... I understand your point but your trying to use this as a lesson to release all fish your unsure about.... We can play tit for tat all day but bring an invasive species it's a good thing he kept them outta the water...the op might not have know it was a carp but he clearly realized it wasn't a freshwater barracuda ..!?!

Know your Alberta game fish.... Keep your regs handy...I had this argument with nsr monger.... Now u 2 don't want me to compare u to him do ya.....
One word....tilapia....

The lady from the Philipines said that's what it was so I am going with her final decision....

LC
Old 05-27-2013, 08:49 AM

http://www.ca.uky.edu/wkrec/tilapiakentucky.htm

Just to be clear. These are carp that the OP caught. Not Tilapia. Tilapia can not survive in Alberta over winter...hence you would not see a viable producing population.

Cheers

Sun
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-27-2013, 08:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Ignorance does NOT excuse anyone from the regulations which govern and protect our wildlife resources.

How many people voice their defiance of the regulations on an online message board, and encourage others to do so as well????........?

Just for my information,What regulation did he break?
Old 05-27-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new LT View Post
ASSUMING what he caught and kept was not a game fish....none.

But it brings the question up, why keep something if you cannot ID it 100%... If you're hunting and you shoot at something you need to know 100% always what you're shooting at....this is no different.

LC
Old 05-27-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Thank u new LT.... And if the op had wrote "I caught 20 miniature lobsters and didn't know 100% so I threw them back"..... U guys would have him on a stake for not keeping and killing the invasive crawfish.... C mountain of a mole hill
Tit for tat
Old 05-27-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post

And for the record I am 100% NOT voicing defiance of the regulations nor did I ever encourage other to do so .... Although I will encourage the harvesting of such carp
Old 05-27-2013, 09:09 AM
Banned

E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
ASSUMING what he caught and kept was not a game fish....none.

But it brings the question up, why keep something if you cannot ID it 100%... If you're hunting and you shoot at something you need to know 100% always what you're shooting at....this is no different.

LC
But as far as he was concerned it had been identified. so the only thing he was guilty of was making a mistake. I'm sure you will admit we have all been wrong at some time.

Last edited by new LT; 05-27-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If you're hunting and you shoot at something you need to know 100% always what you're shooting at....this is no different.
Failure to correctly identify the species of retained fish implies that ignorance is an excuse. Ignorance is not an excuse. Apathy is also not an excuse.

Fishing is a privilege, not a right. Retaining any fish, is a privilege - not a right.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
E

But as far as he was concerned it had been identified. so the only thing he was guilty of was making a mistake. I'm sure you will admit we have all been wrong at some time.
I have never been guilty of misidentifying a fish or game species that I have retained....

When you take up fishing or hunting you have a responsibility to know/identify what species you are harvesting, in the case of fishing....if you don't 100% know, let it go.

LC
Old 05-27-2013, 11:06 AM
Banned

I explain how the regulations work on a daily basis "... ok, see this river you want to fish today?,,, it is closed to fishing.,, see all these listings, they are rivers and lakes and they all have rules specific to them. See these fish [and sometimes I ask them to identify 3]" to which the response is "I can catch them???" to which my response is "Well, no, not all of them [pointing out the fish, then picking streams with zero retention and closures], each lake or stream................................" after awhile I feel like a cassette on a continual loop, and, think maybe there should be a compendium to the regs "How to read the Regulations for dummies" or "Fish I.D for dummies" or "Coles Regs", but it wouldn't matter, as, I'm finding that a lot of people just wave their hand as the gesture of I don't need the regs,, and it is everybody, as in every colour and stripe. I'm still told -not as often- that fishing is better with worms than other lures on the Bow (in town/22x/fish creek) or argue about what fish people are keeping,,, my workmate and I have talked about just issuing licenses and pointing to the lures and rods and not helping whatsoever, or, not pointing out the fineries of the regs,,, but,,,, that would do more harm than good.

My two sense; First W.I.N $25/First Fishing License $100,, renewals of W.I.N $15 and renewal of fishing license $50. Not for a money grab but rather a culling out of those less serious about our fishery. The prices are a joke and are not taken seriously.

Last edited by Gust; 05-27-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
I explain how the regulations work on a daily basis "... ok, see this river you want to fish today?,,, it is closed to fishing.,, see all these listings, they are rivers and lakes and they all have rules specific to them. See these fish [and sometimes I ask them to identify 3]" to which the response is "I can catch them???" to which my response is "Well, no, not all of them [pointing out the fish, then picking streams with zero retention and closures], each lake or stream................................" after awhile I feel like a cassette on a continual loop, and, think maybe there should be a compendium to the regs "How to read the Regulations for dummies" or "Fish I.D for dummies" or "Coles Regs", but it wouldn't matter, as, I'm finding that a lot of people just wave their hand as the gesture of I don't need the regs,, and it is everybody, as in every colour and stripe. I'm still told -not as often- that fishing is better with worms than other lures on the Bow (in town/22x/fish creek) or argue about what fish people are keeping,,, my workmate and I have talked about just issuing licenses and pointing to the lures and rods and not helping whatsoever, or, not pointing out the fineries of the regs,,, but,,,, that would do more harm than good.

My two sense; First W.I.N $25/First Fishing License $100,, renewals of W.I.N $15 and renewal of fishing license $50. Not for a money grab but rather a culling out of those less serious about our fishery. The prices are a joke and are not taken seriously.
No! Worst reason ever for an increase in fishing licences! I favour raising licence fees including for kids and seniors, your reasoning would be the exception.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Banned

Did you (or your friend) report the fish to SRD or did you (I mean your friend) just gobble it up? Because the wise thing to do would be report this oddity immediately.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
No! Worst reason ever for an increase in fishing licences! I favour raising licence fees for almost any reason including kids and seniors, your reasoning would be the exception.
Nope, you are a moron (just kidding),, I have always said that kids and seniors should pay,, and I issue enough licenses on enough paper to see a large family through on toilet paper for a year. I should also note that about 1 in 20 license issues has someone asking for a discount, from excuses such as, I'm disabled, just laid-off, there is only 10 months left in the year, and so forth.

By raising the fee's, people will take things really seriously,, like golf, have you ever had a discussion with an avid golfer,, holy carp, if tee-times cost a nickle these twits wouldn't talk like they're captains of industry, but they do, because it's expensive. Have you ever met that family of super smug skiers at Lake Louise,, if skis cost a dime and a ski-pass cost a loonie, Lake Louise would sound like Phils Pancake House on Barlow Trail at 8:00am.

So, until Fishing moves up the ranks to that of an elite sport, it will always be considered a joke, a backwoods pastime (except for flyfishing).
Old 05-27-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
Nope, you are a moron (just kidding),, I have always said that kids and seniors should pay,, and I issue enough licenses on enough paper to see a large family through on toilet paper for a year. I should also note that about 1 in 20 license issues has someone asking for a discount, from excuses such as, I'm disabled, just laid-off, there is only 10 months left in the year, and so forth.

By raising the fee's, people will take things really seriously,, like golf, have you ever had a discussion with an avid golfer,, holy carp, if tee-times cost a nickle these twits wouldn't talk like they're captains of industry, but they do, because it's expensive. Have you ever met that family of super smug skiers at Lake Louise,, if skis cost a dime and a ski-pass cost a loonie, Lake Louise would sound like Phils Pancake House on Barlow Trail at 8:00am.

So, until Fishing moves up the ranks to that of an elite sport, it will always be considered a joke, a backwoods pastime (except for flyfishing).
You lost me at this point! (JK or not!) That's the trouble on AO though. Not being sensitive. but why even say that? Says a lot about you though. I however will not go to your level! At least not unless it was in person.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:02 PM

OK now read the rest of your post.

Yup, stand by my previous post. That is the worst reasoning ever for increasing fees.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 05-27-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:22 PM

I CAN identify albertas game fish 100%. Therefore.... If i CANNOT identify a species it will be bonked on the head......HARD!!!!!! Think about it people.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
OK now read the rest of your post.

Yup, stand by my previous post. That is the worst reasoning ever for increasing fees.
Nope, it's the best reasoning period; until the price matches the price of the fishery, the Alberta fishery will remain to be seen as a joke. If a family of 4 had to buy my scheme, the cost for all the first W.I.N cards and first fishing licenses would be equal or less than equal to the cost for that family to a one day outing at the Calgary Stampede.

How much do you think your part of the fishery is worth a year, $26.44?

You actually haven't given a reason for justifying having seniors and kids pay, you merely said they should pay. What is your reasoning?