Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2012, 06:04 PM

IMO players deserve a big % of what the game is bringing in. It is their special talent that is drawing fans not the owners business accumen. That said its the people who set the income for the league and support the stupid pay of both sides. If people stopped paying the sky high prices for a boring game then the owners and players would soon get the message. Drop the prices or die as a business.

But people keep paying for substandard entertainment so we'll have to live with the status quo. I could care less. Its not my money wasted. It'll be a cold day in hell before I pay for another NHL hockey game. Not without a significant price drop and improvements to the flow and entertainment of the game.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:25 PM

Thumbs down

fire all the players and Hire new talent...if theres no NHL this year i well never buy another ticket.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post

Saying that though, a year without Hockey would be terrible! Makes for a long boring winter!
Go ice fishing, its more entertaining anyways. Personally I quit giving a s h i t a long time ago about pro sports. They're playing a game, no one deserves a million dollars to play a game IMO...
Old 08-09-2012, 06:34 PM

The players get paid too much?

It is it that those who say this are just jealous of the fame and fortune?

If you ask me, this is a management system problem. Corruption and BS have crippled the game. Time for a high level house cleaning.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:37 PM

whatever. I've nearly given up on the nhl anyways. Maybe the officials should get replaced as well. Haven't gone to an NHL game in nearly 2 years, and if they lock out, wouldn't go ever again.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:38 PM

and a plus to this, remember the lockout year in 2005. WHL hockey was amazing. Sell outs in the dome for the hitman were sooo fun! Good for their leagues too!
Old 08-09-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I think they see a connection to getting a marque player and being able to charge more. Problem is too many marque players turn into slugs after a big salary increase.

They try to buy a Stanley Cup to the detriment of costs. In Calgary a large chunk of tickets are held by companies and used for entertainment expenses. Likely same elsewhere.

The average person...while some make this there big spend for the year...is outside the reach. I can buy a great new flyrod and reel for what it costs me and the wife to go to 1 game.
Winning games packs the seats and good players =winning. But the bottom line is the people who attend the games and buy merchandise are the ones who pay the salary. Once again, supply and demand determines the players salery....not the big bad owners
Old 08-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Gone Hunting

The players are playing for the "love of the game"...after all, that's why they hired Donald Fehr....right????

I would like to see Max. 1 year contracts, all free agents after 1 year....see what happens then....
Old 08-09-2012, 07:04 PM

Meh.... whatever...

I will be watching my boy playin Midget AA all season, no strikes, no whining, no salary caps...

Just playin for the love of the game..I know where I will be..

I have coached for nine yrs, this year I am in the stands, behind the scenes, but in the stands, lets get back to playin some hockey!!

Earlier post of the last lockout we DID get to see some good hockey...

Lock em out, and lets see some more!!
Old 08-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophouseman View Post
Players are paid by spectators, not the NHL. If people stopped paying, players salarys would go down. basic supply and demand tells us players are NOT overpaid, but paid exactly what the market for them will bear
its the simplest of economics. some guys get how business works and others never will. if you look closely, there is often a correlation of opinions on it to ones own situation. people who run their own businesses understand easier how it works. a player generates 10 million a year in ticket sales, jerseys etc.....he is entitled to his fair share. if he wasnt worth it, he wouldnt get it.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Banned

I'm a huge fan of Barclay's Premier League Football (soccer). HUGE salaries go with this sport. There isn't a playoff system. You play throughout the season to end up winning the championship. Every game counts. You cannot coast into a playoff system. The best thing is the BOTTOM 3 teams get sent down to relegation. From the relegation area, the top 3 teams move up to the Premier League. They have crazy contracts and crazy pay..but at the end of the day, you have to put out game in and game out..OR ELSE!!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:03 PM

Thumbs down

Tom Cruise made $75,000,000.00 last year, U2's latest 2 year tour will gross the band $700,000,000.00.

I don't hear anything about overpaid actors/musicians, all 3 of these groups are in the entertainment business.

Hockey players earn there money way more than these actors/musicians, one only has to look up and down the bench in May and June to see the battle scars.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:09 PM

I hope there is no lockout because the Flames are set to own the NW Div. this season
Old 08-09-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
The players get paid too much?

It is it that those who say this are just jealous of the fame and fortune?

If you ask me, this is a management system problem. Corruption and BS have crippled the game. Time for a high level house cleaning.
That would not hurt...but I think it is greed that causes a runaway system. The owners need protection from themselves as much as fans need protection from over paid hockey players.

I would love $10 MM a year and not have to perform...but it is not reasonable for skating around after a rubber puck.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
Tom Cruise made $75,000,000.00 last year, U2's latest 2 year tour will gross the band $700,000,000.00.

I don't hear anything about overpaid actors/musicians, all 3 of these groups are in the entertainment business.

Hockey players earn there money way more than these actors/musicians, one only has to look up and down the bench in May and June to see the battle scars.
LOL

I guess you can start a similar thread and see if people agree they are over paid also.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
I hope there is no lockout because the Flames are set to own the NW Div. this season
Old 08-09-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophouseman View Post
Winning games packs the seats and good players =winning. But the bottom line is the people who attend the games and buy merchandise are the ones who pay the salary. Once again, supply and demand determines the players salery....not the big bad owners
Charlie should Winning a lot...but in the end his life was in the toilet.

There are many teams that have ardent fans that are so passionate they keep going regardless of the constant losing. Not all teams win, that pack seats...but it is not the average Joe going.

Next time you are at a game...ask around and see how many are there on someone else's dime.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
Go ice fishing, its more entertaining anyways. Personally I quit giving a s h i t a long time ago about pro sports. They're playing a game, no one deserves a million dollars to play a game IMO...
Did that once, it was the most boring thing i've done outdoors in my life !
Old 08-09-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:

The difference is, professional athletes seem to whine the most.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
LOL

I guess you can start a similar thread and see if people agree they are over paid also.
Nah thats all right, I really could care less what they get paid, if I enjoy watching or listening I will, If not well whatever, not really worth whinning about for me.

It's sort of like whinning about the guy down the street that has the big house and all the cars.

LOL
Old 08-09-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
Old 08-09-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Ok then...
Old 08-09-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Yeah bur musicians decide what record label they play for and actors decide what studio they work for. Professional athletes are told who they work for for half their career.

To all the haters, hockey has never been so popular, because you're not willing to pay the costs it doesn't mean that 10 other people aren't willing.

As for pay be the best .003 % of your chosen profession and you will also be highly paid.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
Yeah bur musicians decide what record label they play for and actors decide what studio they work for. Professional athletes are told who they work for for half their career.

To all the haters, hockey has never been so popular, because you're not willing to pay the costs it doesn't mean that 10 other people aren't willing.

As for pay be the best .003 % of your chosen profession and you will also be highly paid.
Winner!
Old 08-10-2012, 06:24 AM

For myself ...I couldn't give two flips one way or another.

I am however a very passionate person in regards to the sport...but I'd sooner see drive, and intensity...So thank god for junior, and minor hockey.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-10-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:

I would love $10 MM a year
And if 100,000 people around you felt you deserved it and were willing to pay it, you would get it too
Old 08-10-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:

but it is not the average Joe going.

Next time you are at a game...ask around and see how many are there on someone else's dime.
So who is it, the Super elite? Is the saddledomes parking lot reserved for Lambo's and bently's only?
Old 08-10-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Did that once, it was the most boring thing i've done outdoors in my life !
You just need to go with the right people...
Old 08-10-2012, 09:20 AM

Default I don't buy the junior argument.

Why does everyone say that the junior hockey is better because they play for the love of the game? I have been to many junior games and I have seen plenty of whining by the players on the ice.

These junior players are the same guys that make-up the NHL a few years later. Are you saying that as junior players they played for the love of the game and once they get paid they slack off and whine? I don't buy it.

I think players play the way they play because that is their mental make-up. Whiners whine no matter what they get paid or what level they are playing. Hardnosed shot blocking fighters, block shots and fight.

I'm a Hawks fan so I will use Hawks Examples.

Jonathon Toews is a well paid, top player in the league; NHL doesn't seem to have changed him.

Seabrook and Keith play hard every night; NHL doesn't seem to have changed them. Keith returned to a game a couple of years ago after loosing a bunch of teeth. Seems like that would have been a pretty easy game to stay in the room and take the rest of the night off. Seabrook has come back into a couple of games where he was almost certainly concussed. He would have had to lie to the trainers just to get back on the ice. Why do these players come back on the ice? It's not money as they get paid in the room or on the ice. Actually, if it was a financial decision they would just stay in the room. You get the same pay to not work. They come back because they want to compete. You don't do these things unless you have self worth and love what you do.

For being such a big Hawks fan I am not the biggest fan of Pat Kane. Skilled player but small and thus tends to play a bit soft. I find that when things aren’t going well for him he can disappear for long stretches of games but I bet that's not different than in his junior days.

There are whiners in everyday life why would we expect anything different from junior hockey or the NHL. I think the NHL players are judged more harshly because they have money and those with money should not complain. Show me a whiner in the NHL and I would be willing to bet that guy whined in Junior as well.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:47 AM

There will NOT be a lock out. Bettman's said it before, Fehr's said it before. It's bad for the sport, they're still recovering from the last lock out in a lot of places and a reduced season or no season would be devastating to the league, especially in places like Phoenix and Nashville where seat sales are starting to pick up because the team is winning.

10m a year? Sure, if you're playing. Lockout means no play for no pay.

The players association gets a good share of the pie, slightly more then half IIRC in the revenue sharing agreement in the last contract. One of the sticking points now is that while the talent on the ice is important, owners are seeing less and less money as operating costs on billion dollar stadiums so those 0.003% can show what they can do.

Millionaires arguing with Billionaires over who should make the most money. Wouldn't surprise me to turn it into a 50-50 split.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.