Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-01-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
LOL!!! I grew up with a father that has painted his airplanes, boats and cars. Lets just say a little bit rubbed off on this kid. You wouldn't want to get into a debate with me regarding this subject. You would be way out of your league...
When it comes to craft paint on stocks? Ok I'll buy that.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-01-2014, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
It's in the pre-prep and the clear coat, as long as the paint or primer you use is designed to bond to the substrate, the clear coat is what's most important for durability.

Are you saying there is a gun stock paint? I'm no painter by trade, but I'm pretty sure there's no such thing.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:

Cmon Chuck, why do you always have to be that guy?? The webbing paint is a small portion. You must properly prep the stock, be it bead blast or by hand, correct primer/base coat, baked on clear coats, The folks you mentioned in regards to getting a stock painted have you fooled.
A good automotive painter could open his own specialty rifle stock painting business and have an excellent product. Rifles, planes, boats, cars don't matter...

Nothing wrong with doing things on your own at times. Doesn't diminish the end product as long as you know what and how to do it.

Kurt505 summed it up nicely......
Old 03-01-2014, 09:22 AM

No one is painting cars with craft store paint. I don't care how good their skills, prep, and clear coat are. Ask Eddy Fosnaugh, Chad Dixon, Mitch Kendall, D'Arcy Echols, Mark Bansner, McMillan, etc if they get their paint from a craft store and they will laugh in your face as politely as possible.

My advice to the original poster is to forget cute, forget paint intended for decorating and have someone that knows what they are doing apply the right product. Is there something wrong with that?

-Billy Molls
Old 03-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
No one is painting cars with craft store paint. I don't care how good their skills, prep, and clear coat are. Ask Eddy Fosnaugh, Chad Dixon, Mitch Kendall, D'Arcy Echols, Mark Bansner, McMillan, etc if they get their paint from a craft store and they will laugh in your face as politely as possible.

My advice to the original poster is to forget cute, forget paint intended for decorating and have someone that knows what they are doing apply the right product. Is there something wrong with that?
There is nothing wrong with that but......

Is there something wrong with someone who knows how to paint, painting their own stock and saving $200?

Who wants to spend big $$$ to make their savage axis look good? If I can spend $30 and have a stock look like 1899b's, I'd do it in a heart beat.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:42 AM

I guess if you don't use them much, hunt in the rain, use a saddle scabbard, carry on a backpack, or stay home when it snows you'll be OK.

You do have a point about the Savage Axis though.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-01-2014, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
I guess if you don't use them much, hunt in the rain, use a saddle scabbard, carry on a backpack, or stay home when it snows you'll be OK.

I wouldn't do it to my cooper, but I've got the synthetic stock I pulled off my mini 14 that I'm willing to try it on.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:

Once you apply coats of acrylic clear coat and bake them properly there are no wear issues in any of the conditions you mentioned.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Once you apply coats of acrylic clear coat and bake them properly there are no wear issues.
So why not use something like endura epoxy paint to begin with?

-Billy Molls
Old 03-01-2014, 09:55 AM

Let's not forget that the OP was asking about McMillan and there spatter.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-01-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
So why not use something like endura epoxy paint to begin with?
Krylon Fusion works great as it adheres to plastic very well. I use it for the base coat. As for Endura, I buy Endura for our paint shop at work and my Father painted with Endura on his boats, cars and planes. I know Endura very well and might use it on a project some time.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:26 AM

The only advantages of using aerosol paint, which is almost always synthetic enamel, and is therefore permenently soluable is that it can be wiped off with solvent even after it's cured, in case you don't like the way your job turned out, and the fact that it's in a ready to spray package you can buy anywhere cheaply. Air dried enamels will never have the hardness of a 2 part urethane. There's nothing wrong with doing it yourself, but you need to know what you're doing. BTW I am a professional painter.( Autobody & Industrial)
Old 03-05-2014, 08:25 PM

Here's my old Stevens 200 stock I did for my youngest daughter (her color choices...my spidy stuff..heh..heh))

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...w/IMG_1861.jpg
Old 03-06-2014, 06:43 AM

Liquid customs in red deer did my tikka up in atacs. Looked so good I took the scope in next Monday. Check them out/ website.