Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-17-2012, 12:19 PM

The guy made a near perfect bow shot on a deer at 110 yds

Congrats
Old 05-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLB View Post
Anyone who takes a 110 yard shot at a live animal with a bow has no common sense at all. I don't care if he can hit a target like that 9 out of 10 times. A live animal is not a target. He may still hit that spot he is aiming at at 110 yards but that spot may now be the animals ass. He may feel confident he can make that shot on a target but he is delusional if he is confident he will make that shot on a live animal, no matter how good of a shot he is.
The proof is in the pudding, he killed the deer, clean. Envy,oh the envy!
Old 05-17-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
@ Duffy 4 Where does it say he shoots at paper? Maybe he has a 3D target that he has sunk countless arrows into at that range. Maybe he specifically practiced that shot hundreds of times. In the army we have a saying. "you can't argue tactics" In the hunting world, you can't argue ethics. If a hunter is certain he can make the shot, then he has done his due diligence and has made a decision based on the unique circumstances of that particular event. If he doesn't tale the shot then he has done the same thing.
if this the case I wonder how many times he merely wounded the target and didn't kill it outright . A paper or 3-d target is just that .. a target .. Let's have a little consideration for the game we pursue and the image we give all fellow hunters , It's getting hard enough out there without sticking our selves in the foot . Yes he made the shot .. congrats , hurray , good for him .. What happens next time when he sticks her in the guts .. going to post that one too ?
Old 05-17-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have actually talked to some rifle hunters at the range who met me who think that bow hunting is inhumane, unethical, and completly WRONG.
Cat
Not here, but someday you'll have to clue me into their "logic" of how a clean shot that drops an animal is what they describe as inhumane.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:51 PM
Gone Hunting

110 yard Archery deer shot, any input or opinions?

So far by my count there are about 6 that say the shot was good or OK.

13 say they would not take the shot, it is inadvisable or not acceptable to attempt such.

7 commented but I could not see they were on one side or another.

Seems to me that some are not really separating a "great shot on a non-living target" from a "chancy shot on a living animal".

And to say "Well he took a chance and it happened to work so its great" is a different way to look at the word.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 05-17-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
The guy made a near perfect bow shot on a deer at 110 yds

Congrats
Old 05-17-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
The proof is in the pudding, he killed the deer, clean. Envy,oh the envy!
Anybody can get lucky. How many times has he screwed that shot up and not shown it. Really not to envious of a guy taking an idiotic shot at 110 yards, can't be much of a hunter if he can't get closer.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Anybody can get lucky. How many times has he screwed that shot up and not shown it. Really not to envious of a guy taking an idiotic shot at 110 yards, can't be much of a hunter if he can't get closer.
X2

Last edited by pottymouth; 05-17-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadham View Post
Having maxims is problematic as there can always be situations that may cause one to have to break them.

For example, last season one of the ducks I shot was crippled but still able to dive. It became a diving machine and was swimming/diving circles around my young dog. I used a pinning shot on that bird and it was then harvested successfully and humanely.
I am talking about shooting the unharmed birds on the water and the rest as they take off, or shooting unharmed pheasants on the ground, not about shooting wounded birds.

A person can throw any kind of "what if" instance into almost any circumstance and justify doing it, like shooting an animal out of season that was hit by a car - still illegal, but it gets done.
However, that has nothing to do with sport hunting, or recreational hunting , or whatever a person wants to call it.

Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 05-17-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
He may have not messed up a shot like tha any more than a guy wh doesn't practise and blows a 100 yard shot on a deer with a rifle.
Cat
Old 05-17-2012, 01:55 PM

I know I get ripped at the ethics police.... myself but this is a whole lot different than legally catching keeping....

Ethis is what we tell ourselves what we do in certain circumstances...

Morals is what we do when we think nobody is watching....

How many people could consistently hit a softball with a bow at 110 yards...

Now lets let it hang and be tossed by wind a bit just to add some unpredictability...

Now stand over a spring board contraption so that if you miss you get a shot in the nuts....

Last step.... please video record so we can all have a good laugh....

Or if you think it is ok what he did... stand on your head.... place apple in your crotch and let him shoot it at a mere 50 yards and see how much you trust his accuracy then....
Old 05-17-2012, 02:03 PM

Camera guy needs to buy a tripod. Im not a bow hunter(yet) but have shot at targets and am amazed at just how badly you can miss a target at 30 yrds if you pull the release at the wrong time. If that is the true distance, he made an incredible shot. Luck or skill, only he knows for sure.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:16 PM

The 110 yrd shot does not bother me as bad as the frontal shot does. I personaly dont agree with that shot at 30 yrds. Thats just my opinion.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule99 View Post
The 110 yrd shot does not bother me as bad as the frontal shot does. I personaly dont agree with that shot at 30 yrds. Thats just my opinion.
I also have never even attempted a frontal shot on an anmal, but many do., and give forth the same argument.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 05-17-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
I know I get ripped at the ethics police.... myself but this is a whole lot different than legally catching keeping....

Now lets let it hang and be tossed by wind a bit just to add some unpredictability...

Now stand over a spring board contraption so that if you miss you get a shot in the nuts....

Or if you think it is ok what he did... stand on your head.... place apple in your crotch and let him shoot it at a mere 50 yards and see how much you trust his accuracy then....
I hunt with a flat bow and don't and will not shoot past my confort level
even if a "trophy" AKA P&Y animal was in front of me, even though many said "I would" .
Just because they would or do,doesn't mean I would, or even tell someone what they should use for equipment.
Cat
Old 05-17-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post

you cuold ask the same question abuot hit a softball at 110 yards with a rifle,shooting freehand. I wuold bet that alot of these guys that brag of shooting 300yards plus cuoldn't hit a softball consistintly. its all in what you practice and what your limitations are or what limitations you let other people put on you.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I love it when the almighty, holier than thou, ethics police chime in. Maybe the guy practices for hours every day, maybe he has practiced long range shots such as that one over and over again. What's worse? A long range front on shot from someone who is completely capable and competent to take one or a shot from a guy on a deer broadside at twenty yards who shoots his bow once before archery season and ends up hitting it in the guts? Stay in your lane folks, if you are comfortable with long range shooting with archery or firearms do it, if you aren't, don't do it. So easy to judge without knowing the specifics of his skill level, equipment, conditions etc. The end result was a well placed arrow and a dead deer. End of story.
I'd love know where one can practice that shot over and over for hours upon hours, everyday!Because I doubt he truely practices that shot, especially on live deer !!

If this was about long distance shooting, at paper , foam or taliban nobody would care! But this is live natural resources, a huge difference!

Last edited by pottymouth; 05-17-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:17 PM

In 1520 AD.. King Henry V111 shot 12 arrows in a row into the Cloth of Gold which is 12 inches square at 12 score which is 240 yards..

wow guys/gals that was 1520 AD

practiced /proficiency/perfection

i say very nice shot and very effient kill

David

Last edited by Speckle55; 05-17-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
I'd love know where one can practice that shot over and over for hours upon hours, everyday!I doubt he practices on live deer !! And paper/foam is definitely not an equal comparison to live targets!
Buy a Membership Hinton Fish and Game then Yellow Head Arrow Launchers and use their Outdoor range back up to 110 yards..

David
www.Hintonfishandgame.ca
Yal archery Hinton.jpg
Old 05-17-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Buy a Membership Hinton Fish and Game then Yellow Head Arrow Launchers and use their Outdoor range back up to 110 yards..

David
www.Hintonfishandgame.ca
Attachment 52115
Foam and paper isn't live, reacting deer! Huge difference!
Old 05-17-2012, 03:33 PM

The Deer i watched didn,t move , and the shot was a kill shot and the animal was retrieved .. nuff said .. i couldn't have done it better with my rifle. pumphouse shot =dead deer

some people do .. others watch

David
Old 05-17-2012, 03:43 PM

Deer was aware of the hunter, the shot to impact time, frontal....
Not my thing for sure, I wouldn't have taken the shot. It is outside of my effective range and the animal was too aware. Good for him pinning it though, thats a heck of a shot.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
The Deer i watched didn,t move , and the shot was a kill shot and the animal was retrieved .. nuff said .. i couldn't have done it better with my rifle. pumphouse shot =dead deer

some people do .. others watch

David
Well I guess you changed my mind!

Only because every long distance shot on camera ends with a perfectly placed arrow, and 100% recovery!

I guess wounded, un recovered deer never happen, cause no one ever has any footage!

This year I'm gonna shoot my ram at 200 yards with my bow!

Last edited by pottymouth; 05-17-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
The truth is there will always be a margin of error in every shot. Some weapons are much higher risk for wounding than others. Do we elimate all the low percentage weapons as well?
No, but one hopes that as individuals we work harder to mitigate the shortcomings of those weapons and not use the 'all weapons have a margin for error' as a poor excuse for random Hail Mary shots. We all know that the margin for error can be controlled to a certain degree. Its about being honest and having some integrity.

I am fine with guys taking 600 yards who are capable, for example. Johhny who just bought a low end package rifle and shot 6 rounds at a paper plate is not that guy and within that context is being unethical, unless he has no scruples about causing unessary suffering. Sure, anyone can wound at any range with any weapon but we all know when we are pushing beyong our skill and/or equipment capabilities.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:55 PM
sheephunter

Weren't these 100 yard shots one of the big things that seperated vertical bows from crossbows?
Old 05-17-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
In 1520 AD.. King Henry V111 shot 12 arrows in a row into the Cloth of Gold which is 12 inches square at 12 score which is 240 yards..

wow guys/gals that was 1520 AD
Not to get into revisionist history but that was a King who also executed those who didn't agree with him, including lifelong friends. Same way knights would raise their lances and not strike a member of the royal family in tourneys or practices. King says he hit a target, shot a hole in one, and slew fifty dragons but he was not wenching at the tavern milady.

To quote mel Brooks, "It's good to be the king!"

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Weren't these 100 yard shots one of the big things that seperated vertical bows from crossbows?
X2
Old 05-17-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I might as well bite on this one, I am sure there won't be enough argueing on the other subject. No, that is not the big difference. Having it cocked and ready to go at all times and not having to hold the string back under your own power are the big differences. I haven't seen to many guys shooting a real bow in the prone position or resting on a set of shooting sticks for long periods of time .
Old 05-17-2012, 05:01 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I might as well bite on this one, I am sure there won't be enough argueing on the other subject. No, that is not the big difference. Having it cocked and ready to go at all times and not having to hold the string back under your own power are the big differences. I haven't seen to many guys shooting a real bow in the prone position or resting on a set of shooting sticks for long periods of time .
It was pretty much meant as a joke but if you do go back through the thousands of crossbow posts, a large percentage were about miraculous long range shots that crossbows were capable of....right around 100 yards if I remember correctly No need for a crossbow debate, that issue is dead for the moment...I just couldn't resist the irony.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I am talking about shooting the unharmed birds on the water and the rest as they take off, or shooting unharmed pheasants on the ground, not about shooting wounded birds.

A person can throw any kind of "what if" instance into almost any circumstance and justify doing it, like shooting an animal out of season that was hit by a car - still illegal, but it gets done.
However, that has nothing to do with sport hunting, or recreational hunting , or whatever a person wants to call it.

Cat
It was a bad example on my part.

On the other hand, I have found that I have done a number of things,as I get older, that I've never thought I would do ... or swore I'd never do.

Out of curiousity where did this hunt take place. For example, in some US states you can run deer with dogs and where hunters don't worry themselves overmuch on a single shot kill. However they do have dogs that help them bring in the deer if wounded and arguably is the main point of the hunt. Like how some birders actually get more enjoyment watching their dog work over shooting the birds. Of course we don't intentionally wound the animal but also don't sweat it as much if we don't have the best shot.

Last edited by Jadham; 05-17-2012 at 07:31 PM.