Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-21-2014, 06:39 PM

CONGRATS WHITE EGLE student bit the teacher
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cold lake 014.jpg (58.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: gif thumbs_up.gif (7.3 KB, 126 views)
Old 03-21-2014, 06:54 PM
Banned

Open water derby sounds good. I probably won't enter as i kinda fish for myself and its gotta be pretty huge to get me excited. Like a 46 inch pike or 10lb eye. In my opinion suckers shouldn't count, they are crap fish, might as well count goldeye and creek chubs.. Sounds like the derby is really aimed at river fisherman... I have never caught a sauger in the lake. Anyways my 2 cents. Good luck and thanks for organizating, I enjoy the pictures
Old 03-21-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binnzer32 View Post
Open water derby sounds good. I probably won't enter as i kinda fish for myself and its gotta be pretty huge to get me excited. Like a 46 inch pike or 10lb eye. In my opinion suckers shouldn't count, they are crap fish, might as well count goldeye and creek chubs.. Sounds like the derby is really aimed at river fisherman... I have never caught a sauger in the lake. Anyways my 2 cents. Good luck and thanks for organizating, I enjoy the pictures
The idea is that the FUN contest is open to both shore fisherman and boat fisherman, some guys don't have a boat to use.

Opening up the species may have the boat guys fishing shore and the shore guys fishing boats....might get some cross-discipline action!

LC
Old 03-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Banned

I guess you have a point. Maybe I am a little lake biased I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The idea is that the FUN contest is open to both shore fisherman and boat fisherman, some guys don't have a boat to use.

Opening up the species may have the boat guys fishing shore and the shore guys fishing boats....might get some cross-discipline action!

LC
Old 03-21-2014, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
i agree with you that sauger and walleye should be seperate.
have to wonder why you would think this would be aimed at people who fish rivers. haven't even decided if there will even be an open water derby, and no species have even been mentioned.
i think suckers should be included as they are a good fighting fish, and goldeyes get my respect also.
remember it's all for fun.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
since the northerners gave up their last 2 weeks because of our earlier closure only fair we start it when their season opens up there. Lets start it May 15 to even it out, til end of Oct. give the good guys a couple weeks to practice
it doesen't bother me if you southern boys get a couple extra weeks to fish. people who live where there are no trees need all the help they can get. lol
Old 03-21-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
you obviously havent caught big suckers on light gear, way more fun and stronger than trout anyday. and yes we will count goldeye and mooneye too. may as well get as many species involved as we can to make it more fun
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-21-2014, 07:50 PM
Banned

I have caught lots of suckers and carp and yeah they are scrappy. I don't think I Would put them up against big rainbows though. .. especially for aerial performance...good luck with your River derby men. I dont get out in the boat enough to put up a top ten finish for open water. Lake whites on light gear now that's a scrap...

Quote:
you obviously havent caught big suckers on light gear, way more fun and stronger than trout anyday. and yes we will count goldeye and mooneye too. may as well get as many species involved as we can to make it more fun
Old 03-21-2014, 07:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Why not make a poll and put it to a vote?
Why bee? WHY? Do tell.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
Why bee? WHY? Do tell.
Why? Why have limitations?

The limits as chosen so far have been biased towards walleye and pike angling. They are only a part of the overall submissions and species counted.

In all areas of the province there are bodies open all year, and we know that many anglers travel far a field to fish, so it's not like anyone is limited to fishing in their own neighbourhood.

Trout streams in ES2 open April1, but dont open in ES1 until June 15.

See my point?

If it were a pike/walleye/perch derby...ok, but it is multi-species and province wide event.

Just doesn't make sense to cater the timing to one specific group or another and 2months into spring...
Old 03-21-2014, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
Why bee? WHY? Do tell.
Don't lip me boy! Fishing is SERIOUS BUSINESS!
Old 03-21-2014, 08:43 PM

way serious but lets let the majority decide. poll away dude!
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-21-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Why? Why have limitations?

The limits as chosen so far have been biased towards walleye and pike angling. They are only a part of the overall submissions and species counted.

In all areas of the province there are bodies open all year, and we know that many anglers travel far a field to fish, so it's not like anyone is limited to fishing in their own neighbourhood.

Trout streams in ES2 open April1, but dont open in ES1 until June 15.

See my point?

If it were a pike/walleye/perch derby...ok, but it is multi-species and province wide event.

Just doesn't make sense to cater the timing to one specific group or another and 2months into spring...
It's a case of "can't please em all" unfortunately. I'll be fishing through April regardless up here....
Old 03-21-2014, 09:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
It's a case of "can't please em all" unfortunately. I'll be fishing through April regardless up here....
Same here!

Ice out is the best!

Wayne, no way an 8lb sucker fights better than a wild-born girly fish!

Baby got back!

!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:20 PM
Banned

there is one very good reason why sturgeon should not be allowed in the open water derby.................

i can't catch one. lol
Old 03-21-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super mario View Post
CONGRATS WHITE EGLE student bit the teacher
Thanks supermario on showing me how to fish for big lakers but know I got to hit work hard to pay off visa bill for the gas . Thank you judges that were involved in the ice fishing derby and the rest of the ao members for the good competition.Can't wait for the next derby
Old 03-23-2014, 07:54 AM

We have to be careful about having a derby in mid summer. From the regs. on Competitive Fishing Events, they say not to have CFE's from July1 to Aug.31. Due to high mortality rate in high water temps. I think we should follow there recommendations and not run a derby during those months. Maybe we could have it in May and June or Sept and Oct.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:58 AM

maybe we can do 2 - 2 month ones and combine the totals? one will be during runoff and one after so the fishing will be much different too.
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 03-23-2014, 08:20 AM

We could combine spring ,fall and the hard water derbies into the Alberta Supreme Master Angler Of The Year.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I have caught lots of suckers and carp and yeah they are scrappy. I don't think I Would put them up against big rainbows though. .. especially for aerial performance...good luck with your River derby men. I dont get out in the boat enough to put up a top ten finish for open water. Lake whites on light gear now that's a scrap...
I just gotta ask why you think this is a "river" derby??
There are MANY fish species that inhabit lakes
Old 03-23-2014, 09:27 AM

I thought this was about encouraging us to get out and fish for species we normally wouldn't.
I say open it to all species, all bodies of water in Alberta. If it swims and you can hook it - count it (except sturgeon, for their protection)

Not sure how much I'll be entering, I have my own agenda this summer... unless i start hooking into some nice ones lol
Old 03-23-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reel Deal View Post
I thought this was about encouraging us to get out and fish for species we normally wouldn't.
I say open it to all species, all bodies of water in Alberta. If it swims and you can hook it - count it (except sturgeon, for their protection)

Not sure how much I'll be entering, I have my own agenda this summer... unless i start hooking into some nice ones lol
this one gets my vote
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 03-23-2014, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
this one gets my vote
x2
Old 03-23-2014, 10:20 AM
Banned

Because it sounds like a river derby... goldeye, suckers etc...And as aid before I am lake biased I guess. .. is that okay with you? Is it okay I have an opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
I just gotta ask why you think this is a "river" derby??
There are MANY fish species that inhabit lakes
Old 03-23-2014, 11:32 AM

its a for fun derby, includes all Alberta waters, lakes and river some prefer one to the other. I think the multispecies category will be awesome, at least 15 different species just where I usually fish alone!
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 03-23-2014, 05:06 PM
Banned

May1-june30 sounds good.

I'm going to win for Alberta's longest chub of the year.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Something's should best be kept to oneself.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
May1-june30 sounds good.

I get some pretty impressive chubs when Im fishing around the beach!
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 03-23-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Because it sounds like a river derby... goldeye, suckers etc...And as aid before I am lake biased I guess. .. is that okay with you? Is it okay I have an opinion?
Being lake biased has nothing do with it. bizzner this isnt about being strictly river fishing man, Just fishing in general. Thats it thats all. Fishing in alberta, Got some fish to enter great, have someone beat your entry get out there and get it back. Its fine to have an opinion but to feel "left" out cause you prefer to fish lakes thats the part thats not ok. Know what I mean. Besides Iv caught tons of suckers in lakes

This open water derby is hypothetical an all for now anyways
Old 03-24-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago View Post
We have to be careful about having a derby in mid summer. From the regs. on Competitive Fishing Events, they say not to have CFE's from July1 to Aug.31. Due to high mortality rate in high water temps. I think we should follow there recommendations and not run a derby during those months. Maybe we could have it in May and June or Sept and Oct.
I would think that the reason for this is the transportation of the fish to a weigh in station in +30 can lead to higher mortality rates. I don't see the harm in taking a quick measurement and picture in any season, as long as its done quickly and with care. I just don't think that recommendation applies to a derby of this type.