Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-15-2011, 08:28 PM

Default Ummmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
It does look like the CL Special or similar.

Barbed hooks are allowed on the SK side in Cold Lake
Barbed hooks are not allowed on that lake period!!! If you enter that lake and fish it as an albertan with an alberta fishing license its under the alberta lake jurisdictions!!! check your regs! now as far as a sask licensed fisherman i dont know how that works but that lake is an alberta lake as an alberta licensee....PERIOD! Also when we asked the fish cop where the boudary was between alberta/sask and he didnt even know?? what does that tell ya? Im just saying! But lets not forget: THAT WAS A GORGEOUS FISH!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:30 PM

Beautiful Laker. I'm Jealous.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:36 PM

Don't let them rain on your parade, that is one helluva' fish
Old 03-15-2011, 08:45 PM

I don't care what she weighs. What a hog! Congrats man! Something I hope you will remember for a long time.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:02 PM

Default Splake0 is correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyeca View Post
Barbed hooks are not allowed on that lake period!!! If you enter that lake and fish it as an albertan with an alberta fishing license its under the alberta lake jurisdictions!!! check your regs! now as far as a sask licensed fisherman i dont know how that works but that lake is an alberta lake as an alberta licensee....PERIOD! Also when we asked the fish cop where the boudary was between alberta/sask and he didnt even know?? what does that tell ya? Im just saying! But lets not forget: THAT WAS A GORGEOUS FISH!
Below is a quote from the 2011 Sask regs. You will be correct NEXT year.

The changes below are proposed for the 2012-13 angling season.
! Cold Lake: Mandatory use of barbless hooks. Mandatory use of
barbless hooks will result in the consistent application of this
regulatory requirement with the Alberta portion of this lake.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:25 AM

nice nice ... great spot know it well
Old 03-16-2011, 12:33 AM

Default nice nice

great spot know it well
Old 03-16-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgraywolf View Post
Below is a quote from the 2011 Sask regs. You will be correct NEXT year.

The changes below are proposed for the 2012-13 angling season.
! Cold Lake: Mandatory use of barbless hooks. Mandatory use of
barbless hooks will result in the consistent application of this
regulatory requirement with the Alberta portion of this lake.
He is fishing as a ALBERTA RESIDENT!!!!!!! The lake is an ALBERTA lake under Alberta Jurisdiction!!! Why would the fish cop check me for barbs 3 times this year????? Cmon! If the fish cop when asked didnt know where the boundary was what does that tell ya? Barbless! and beside its easier on the fish
Old 03-16-2011, 01:53 PM

Default Barbs or no barbs

Quote:
He is fishing as a ALBERTA RESIDENT!!!!!!! The lake is an ALBERTA lake under Alberta Jurisdiction!!! Why would the fish cop check me for barbs 3 times this year????? Cmon! If the fish cop when asked didnt know where the boundary was what does that tell ya? Barbless! and beside its easier on the fish
It doesn't matter what kind of resident you are fishing as. What matters is whether you're on the AB side or the Sask side. Otherwise, how could the F & W people possibly enforce the rules? I assume you were checked by AB F & W while fishing on the Alberta side. As for being easier on the fish you are absolutely correct. Presumably that is partly why Sask is changing the barbless rule on Cold Lake for their side. In addition to making it easier for all wildlife officers to enforce the rules.
As an aside, where did you hear that Cold Lake is an Alberta lake? And under Alberta jurisdiction? To the best of my knowledge Saskatchewan residents commercial fish it and are answerable to Sask F & W, not Alberta F & W. In other words, each province enforces its own regs on thir part of the lake.

The only reg from Alberta that applies to both sides of the border I think, is the size and limit reg.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:10 PM

Greatgreywolf and Splake0 are CORRECT. Walleyeca, give it a rest. This thread is about my fish, not the law. I dont know why you insist on trying to convince me that my fish was not as big as i say, and that im fishing illegally. All your youtube comments too, seems like you really want to get it in my head. The most hilarious part is how wrong you are. There is no barb. I pinch it at the tip fast so it snaps off. The tough dense cartilage of the thickest white part of the fin close to the body was almost impossible to get through with a razor sharp hook. Getting it out with the nub on the hook was not easy. Its not "just a fin", its a very tough part of this fish. You dont know as much as you think you know. The hook actually comes out at 0:15 in the video when i say "there we go", and then the trailer sticks back in the fin. Ive done this many times on big fish, and i know that with a full fledged barb, the hook would not be coming out of that part of the fin with such little force and slippery hemostats with freezing hands. I would have had to hold the fish in place and really yanked on it, most likely ripping the fin. That is FACT based on experience. Either way, barbs are simply allowed on parts of this lake, so bugger off, and leave some space on this thread. How about "nice release." She could be in the smoker right now too. Count your options. Also, i used the same leadhead the entire trip, changing the rubber as needed. The fish cops were out in full force on Sunday and checked me with no ticket. Also, maybe consider the fact that i was paranoid the first time up there with just an alberta license and then bought a Sask license as well just to be safe. Theres way too many variables and no evidence for you to say what you keep saying. As for size, all else i can say on top of my previous reply to this thread is that there were 3 other experienced trout and salmon fisherman witnesses there who judged the same weight. Keep in mind the fish is held right against my body, and not out to the camera at all. Makes a big difference. I have pics of the measurements so maybe that will cool your jets. I find it annoying when people claim fish to be larger than they are. I know what im doing here bud, not my first time out. I think this fish weighed 29.7 pounds. Cheers.

Last edited by critter; 03-16-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Honestly,, people just can't enjoy a nice catch eh just have to try a dish it some how..

Once again ignore the negative comments and don't feed the goofs,, just enjoy the fine fishing you had..

Nice catch critter thx for sharing it with us..
X2.

It's a wonder anybody bothers to share a video or a pic of a fish on this forum. They are either going to be called a poacher,a liar,or a poor sportsman for keeping the fish out of the water for too long in order to take the pic. Not everyone of course,but you just know that somebody is going to take a poke somehow no matter what.

Critter: Beautiful Fish! Thank you very much for sharing.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:19 PM

It would have been a lot harder on the fish to stick a scale it its mouth and dangle it until you get a steady reading.

Throwing a tape on it and taking a couple quick measurements would be a lot better for the health of the fish.

Not sure why a difference of a couple pounds is enough to raise a fuss.

Anyways...

Again, great fish Critter. Seems like you have figured out Cold Lake.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Gone Hunting

Nice fish. You should change your youtube video to only allow comments with approval, it will make it a lot easier to make a certain individual stfu.

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 03-16-2011, 02:45 PM

There are no boudary markers on the lake guys! Even the fish cops dont know where the sask/alberta border is??believe me I have asked! If he is fishing with an alberta license he needs to follow alberta rules is what Im saying! tell me why the camera is on him like glue and then when he has a bit of trouble removing the hook, the camera veers to the right as to not show the complications for 13 seconds? ITS A NICE FISH!!! Im not saying its not but to call that a 30lb fish with no real proof is what Im picking at! How many times have you ran across a guy who say "ya shes a 8lb walleye or a 40 spring" and you look at it and think to yourself that this guy is on meth? when you know yourself you have caught an 8lb walleye or 40lb spring and that aint it! Im sorry CRITTER that your blowing a "NUT" over this but the more you Bark about it the more I wanna Bark back! So if you shut it down as so will I! I can even go remove my remarks off of you tube if you wanna call it a nice fish "A big fish at that!" But I speak my mind as people do when I post stuff aswell! we live in canada we all have the right to freedom of speech!
Old 03-16-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
There are no boudary markers on the lake guys! Even the fish cops dont know where the sask/alberta border is??believe me I have asked! If he is fishing with an alberta license he needs to follow alberta rules is what Im saying! tell me why the camera is on him like glue and then when he has a bit of trouble removing the hook, the camera veers to the right as to not show the complications for 13 seconds? ITS A NICE FISH!!! Im not saying its not but to call that a 30lb fish with no real proof is what Im picking at! How many times have you ran across a guy who say "ya shes a 8lb walleye or a 40 spring" and you look at it and think to yourself that this guy is on meth? when you know yourself you have caught an 8lb walleye or 40lb spring and that aint it! Im sorry CRITTER that your blowing a "NUT" over this but the more you Bark about it the more I wanna Bark back! So if you shut it down as so will I! I can even go remove my remarks off of you tube if you wanna call it a nice fish "A big fish at that!" But I speak my mind as people do when I post stuff aswell! we live in canada we all have the right to freedom of speech!
Yeah and what about those guys that post pictures of 2 lb perch that are clearly only 1.25 lbs but because they pull on the tail the scale says 2 lbs

Great fish Critter I would love to catch one that size through the ice.

With the amount of salmon critter catches I would guess that he could pin a weight pretty good without a tape or scale.

Walleyeca all of your assumtions are just that assumptions so unless you have any proff take it for what it is. And just because a certain alberta game warden doesnt know where the boundry lines are dosent mean the rules don't exist.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:57 PM

walleyeca - you created and sustained this argument, not me. Your wrong, as my above post states the truth. Re-read it maybe, it seems you didnt soak in the message.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
... Im not saying its not but to call that a 30lb fish with no real proof is what Im picking at! How many times have you ran across a guy who say "ya shes a 8lb walleye or a 40 spring" and you look at it and think to yourself that this guy is on meth? when you know yourself you have caught an 8lb walleye or 40lb spring and that aint it!
You're a real treat.....

What the hell does it matter if the fish is 33 lbs, 30 lbs or 27 lbs? Why exactly do you care? Are you jealous? Are you all butt hurt because someone caught a bigger fish than you? This is the bloody problem with this forum, and I've said it before. The reason people don't post more pictures and videos on here is because of people like you walleyeca. Other people don't want douche bags like you ruining a thread with a nice photo or video with the typical "That ain't xxlbs, I would know..." or "You're obviously using barbs" or a bunch of other crap.

Seriously how hard is it to enjoy someone's catch with a "Beauty fish" or "Nice catch!"? Instead of stirring up all this. Maybe you did it on purpose, I don't know. Maybe you get your jollies from stirring **** up on the forum. Either way, what purpose does it serve? Let it go, and enjoy a BEAST of a fish and move on.

Quote:
Im sorry CRITTER that your blowing a "NUT" over this but the more you Bark about it the more I wanna Bark back! So if you shut it down as so will I!
I don't think it's his responsibility to "shut it down". You're the one that came into HIS thread and starting spewing random nonsense about HIS catch. And of course none of the nonsense you're spewing has any backing or proof, so maybe you should take the initiative and go away.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:07 PM

So I have a question...you only need a SK license OR a AB license and you can fish anywhere on the lake?
Old 03-16-2011, 03:34 PM

Ya these are clearly 1.25 lb perch!!! LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trevs pics! 770.JPG (128.5 KB, 82 views)
Old 03-16-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Ya these are clearly 1.25 lb perch!!! LOL
Where's the proof? I don't see a freshly calibrated scale. How do we know you were not using barbs. I guess it's OK to assume then that you are lying? Or is it safer to say that I have caught plenty of 2 lb perch and they were a lot bigger than those ones that you are holding out for the camera? Nice perch BTW, too bad that you're lying about the size.

OK. I'll agree to drop it as long as you agree to quit saying that they are 2lb fish.

It's a little different when the shoe is on the other foot now isn't it.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
So I have a question...you only need a SK license OR a AB license and you can fish anywhere on the lake?
Correct.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:56 PM

Default re

Nice Perchies walleyeca! I remember those! That was a good time!!
Old 03-16-2011, 05:00 PM

Default Carried away!

Those perch are 8lbs each! I just called em that because thats the number I pulled out of the air! As far as the other foot? pfffft doesnt bother me at all! I know what you guys are trying to do! This just got a bit carried away and now you guys are gonna say your little part because the door is kinda open for you to yip a bit its cool! I said it was a nice big fish I was asking a question why it took the hook so long to get out! I have never come on here looking for trouble EVER! So YAYAYAYA keep em comin I kinda deserve it! Remember a forum is for people to voice there opinions!
Old 03-16-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Remember a forum is for people to voice there opinions!
Correct. But hijacking someone else's(critter's) thread is considered impolite. Which you've now done in a multitude of ways. If I was the moderator of this forum you'd be gone!
Old 03-16-2011, 10:34 PM

that thing is a tank! we got a few 12-14's from there this summer and that girl could damn near eat them whole. great fish. my understanding of the regs are you that you need a license for the side you luanch and load from. last year we launched at the creek in the meadow lake park and had sask license. the year before french bay with alta license. walleye guy you need to relax amigo
Old 03-17-2011, 07:05 AM

Getting weight by measurement is an ESTIMATE only ! (and to say its within a half of a pound with the variety of laker shapes is a big claim ) Measured weights don't equal scaled weights , but when thats all ya got , thats all ya get ! That is the biggest i've seen come from Cold Lake and wonder why there aren't more for the size of the lake , the forage base and number of fishermen. Haven't watched the video , but the fish barely fits the hole. Nice one.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:08 AM

Critter in the fourth pic when your releasing your hands look sooooooooooo cold!!!
Old 03-17-2011, 05:43 PM

My hands were FREEZING haha, but adrenaline helps. For size comparison, heres a good video of a 35 lber, mine doesnt look too much smaller at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06feTo9GePI
Old 03-17-2011, 05:59 PM

why is there a hook in his fin?
Old 03-17-2011, 06:34 PM

Very solid looking laker, congrats!