Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-27-2013, 06:18 PM

Default So true

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
No such thing as a free lunch.

When the government buys something for you, they are first taking that amount of money from you, then charging you a grossly inflated amount of money to a) take the money from you and b) to give it back to you (or more likely someone else more "deserving" than the schmuck that actually earned it). That checkup at the doctor that would likely cost you $70 cash, probably costs a couple hundred by the time every greasy bureaucrat has handled a piece of paper involved in your checkup.
THE most inefficient way to administer any such stuff is to put the government in charge. Inevitably, the bureaucrats are much more interested in empire building and social engineering than in cost-effective delivery of the services - they have no competition or motivation to do anything other than feather their own beds.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Banned

I have not taken off a sick day in 15 years and I have seen a doctor
twice in that time span.Given that I dont burden the health care system
I would completely resent having to pay health care premiums since I dont
use the health care system.I also think that idiots who injure themselves
through outright stupidity or through participation in "extreme sports"
SHOULD be charged for health care when they clog up the emergency
departments at hospitals due to the fact that the injuries are self inflicted.

FTH
Old 11-27-2013, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedlap View Post
THE most inefficient way to administer any such stuff is to put the government in charge. Inevitably, the bureaucrats are much more interested in empire building and social engineering than in cost-effective delivery of the services - they have no competition or motivation to do anything other than feather their own beds.
How does this explain the f-35 fiasco ?

A lot of times elected officials scapegoat beaurocrats to deflect blame from themselves. No beaurocrat thought of the f-35 it was our government that wasted that money.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by From The Hip View Post
I have not taken off a sick day in 15 years and I have seen a doctor
twice in that time span.Given that I dont burden the health care system
I would completely resent having to pay health care premiums since I dont
use the health care system.I also think that idiots who injure themselves
through outright stupidity or through participation in "extreme sports"
SHOULD be charged for health care when they clog up the emergency
departments at hospitals due to the fact that the injuries are self inflicted.

FTH
I was in the same boat not that long ago. Then a surgery and a diabetic wife ad a child that's wife needed to see a lot of doctors about during pregnancy. I hope you escape all that. But the odds are you will use the healthcare system more ad more as you get older.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
I was in the same boat not that long ago. Then a surgery and a diabetic wife ad a child that's wife needed to see a lot of doctors about during pregnancy. I hope you escape all that. But the odds are you will use the healthcare system more ad more as you get older.
I am different than you in that at 42 years old I sure as hell wont get married again and I sure as hell wont even think of having chidren if I did so.Though if I did I would choose a nice gal from Thailand instead of a "white" gal who wants everything handed to her in life on a silver platter and for the most part has an exit strategy for a failed marriage.

I do have to pay for the health care that I use such as seeing a dentist and I have no problem with that.

On a side note I am sorry to hear and be told of your own struggles and the hardship you have gone through.

As for health care premiums I would rather throw the money down on a roulette wheel than pay it as the health care system is so pathetically managed by a bunch of pigs at the trough who take care of themselves first above the people who use the system.

FTH
Old 11-28-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by From The Hip View Post
I am different than you in that at 42 years old I sure as hell wont get married again and I sure as hell wont even think of having chidren if I did so.Though if I did I would choose a nice gal from Thailand instead of a "white" gal who wants everything handed to her in life on a silver platter and for the most part has an exit strategy for a failed marriage.

I do have to pay for the health care that I use such as seeing a dentist and I have no problem with that.

On a side note I am sorry to hear and be told of your own struggles and the hardship you have gone through.

As for health care premiums I would rather throw the money down on a roulette wheel than pay it as the health care system is so pathetically managed by a bunch of pigs at the trough who take care of themselves first above the people who use the system.

FTH
There is a flaw in the system with people like you with the thought process you have.
First of all don't know if you should be bragging about only seeing a doctor twice in 15 years. At your age you should take better care of yourself with just physicals.

Now are you saying you wish that we had private healthcare or just a choice to pay when you use and a lesser tax rate?

Taking your stance on this if we went to private healthcare you don't sound like the guy to buy insurance because "I am never sick" (I would bet you are also an employee that bitches about employee benefits because you "never get sick" and you "don't use the dentist that much".)

So say the government switches to private or allows you the option out of provincial healthcare. What happens if you become sick or disabled? You have any idea what it cost to treat prostate cancer (of course you never go to the doctor so once you feel sick and delay going because you don't want to be out of pocket it will be too late an you will probably only have a couple months to live) medication, doctor and hospital bills will reach upwards of $100,000 in no time say you don't have that money and probably like the majority of the people that wouldn't want insurance or want to opt out of provincial healthcare because it's all about how much cash gets to there bank account to change there style if living don't, then what do the doctors and hospitals turn you away? Treat you until you run out of money then send you on your way?
At the time you get sick you can't just want back onto provincial healthcare because provincial healthcare is like insurance and you can't insure a burning building. If they did it would collapse the system with more money going out than coming in.

Bitch a gripe all you want but at some point in your life you or a loved one will need medical care don't look at healthcare as I don't get as much out of it as I use it's insurance on your health.

Truth be old I think Canada/ Alberta has a pretty sweet setup where we have pretty good provincial healthcare and then we also have private clinics to enhance healthcare for those who want to pay.

I do believe there are some people that abuse the system fights, activities taking risks others don't, hypochondriacs etc. the way I feel this could be handled is with deductibles if every trip to the ER had even a $100 deductible or $250 it would put costs of stupidity and hypochondria back on those patients .... Not enough cost to cover the visit but enough as a penalty where it discourages to some extent and subsidizes a little.

Last edited by Mike_W; 11-28-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Which Provinces have drug coverage?
Old 11-28-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Oh, talking to me? LOL OK.
Quebec for starters. They have an Obamacare-like plan of private and public coverage, but everyone MUST have drug coverage.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Oh, talking to me? LOL OK.
Quebec for starters. They have an Obamacare-like plan of private and public coverage, but everyone MUST have drug coverage.
The relavence in comparing Quebec to the rest of Canada is void. They are a setup taxed and ran like another county. But still it is not consider provincial drug coverage when you regulate it nessasary to have employer/self funded health coverage.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:40 PM

I think instead of a premium a person should be billed small deductible every time they want to access emergency ($40?) or urgent care ($20?) so that it might discourage people from using these more expensive forms of care for non-emergencies instead of going to see a GP. It shouldn't be prohibitively expensive and if you can prove financial hardship it should be reduced or forgiven altogether. I think it would reduce wait times because people wouldn't go running to emergency every time they stub their toe and it might encourage people to take better care of themselves.

My $.02

Last edited by steelringin'; 11-28-2013 at 05:51 PM.