Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-07-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
the first one is 40 inches right on the nose, you should see the size of perch im gonna post up, the perch there how do they last so long to grow so big when there are so many pike to eat them, ya wayne my first time ice fishing and did not mind it at all the little one man tents were awsome and so easy to setup, but the tip ups were a pain.

No offence Shawn, but unless your folded up pliers are 10 inches long, that is not a large perch. Not even at Nakamum. And thats saying something.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwood View Post
No offence Shawn, but unless your folded up pliers are 10 inches long, that is not a large perch. Not even at Nakamum. And thats saying something.
It's a big perch for Wabamun. Most I see are 6 inches MAYBE! Most come in and want to make buddy's with my 8 inch bait lol ... Than some will take a swipe at my snap swivel lol
Old 01-07-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Good question, how DO the perch survive with all the whites eating them?
beat me to it.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
a fellow tip up hater, welcome to the club I always use a rod and reel for my second line. and first. hate the thought of trying to bring in a huge fish on a handline. I like having 10 fingers
Just curious as to why you guys "hate" using tip-ups and have problems with them "getting tangled?" I've been using the same Polar Tip-ups for as long as I can remember and have yet to have one (or see one) get tangled. Also, landing big pike by hand is slick as snot - given you use no less than 50lbs Dacron. Find it hard to believe that a well placed tip up on Wab (with an 8-10inch Sardine) doesn't get a hit. I've been out there three times this year just scouting around and have landed 3 over 13lbs (biggest was 15) and about 15 between 8 - 11lbs. I feel as if i'm just getting warmed up, and by March i think i'll have my "spot on the spot."

Maybe some tip-up tips I can pass along if you're interested?
Old 01-07-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Just curious as to why you guys "hate" using tip-ups and have problems with them "getting tangled?" I've been using the same Polar Tip-ups for as long as I can remember and have yet to have one (or see one) get tangled. Also, landing big pike by hand is slick as snot - given you use no less than 50lbs Dacron. Find it hard to believe that a well placed tip up on Wab (with an 8-10inch Sardine) doesn't get a hit. I've been out there three times this year just scouting around and have landed 3 over 13lbs (biggest was 15) and about 15 between 8 - 11lbs. I feel as if i'm just getting warmed up, and by March i think i'll have my "spot on the spot."

x2. Hand-lining in large pike with dacron is no issue at all, in fact I prefer it over a rod/reel anyday of the week.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post

It would be cool to see the flag go up but that`s about it, prefer to feel the fish on a rod and feel the fight compared to the tip up.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Good question, how DO the perch survive with all the whites eating them?
LOL

BGSH, Which pic is the 40 incher?? Me thinks your tape measure is broken
Old 01-07-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
LOL

BGSH, Which pic is the 40 incher?? Me thinks your tape measure is broken
fine it was only 16 inches
Old 01-07-2012, 09:40 PM

Great looking Pictures and fish. I was at Wabmun today and got Skunked..
Old 01-07-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
fine it was only 16 inches
Might I suggest taking less artsy photos if you want to convince some of these cynics of how big your fish are, which I assume you want to do since you do make quite a few of these posts. Taking a picture of a fish at a wide angle with an emphasis on the fish's nose (ie. http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/...ami3/032-1.jpg) distorts the photo and make people doubt you. Hold the fish across you, and have the person shoot the photo standing back, zoomed in. That compresses the perspective of the photo somewhat and would help to eliminate distortions normally seen with photos created with wide angle lenses.

FYI, that's why most studios and modeling agencies use moderate telephoto lenses (~100-180mm) when shooting models, compresses the photo somewhat, makes things look more normal. Playboy goes as far as using 300mm lenses (I have no idea how I remember that).

Last edited by Kevin_Thunder; 01-07-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Thunder View Post
Might I suggest taking less artsy photos if you want to convince some of these cynics of how big your fish are, which I assume you want to do since you do make quite a few of these posts. Taking a picture of a fish at a wide angle with an emphasis on the fish's nose (ie. http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/...ami3/032-1.jpg) distorts the photo and make people doubt you. Hold the fish across you, and have the person shoot the photo standing back, zoomed in. That compresses the perspective of the photo somewhat and would help to eliminate distortions normally seen with photos created with wide angle lenses.

FYI, that's why most studios and modeling agencies use moderate telephoto lenses (~100-180mm) when shooing models, compresses the photo somewhat, makes things look more normal. Playboy goes as far as using 300mm lenses (I have no idea how I remember that).
The camera i was using is not a hi def one at all, this one fell in the mud and has spots on it now, but it does the trick, i am going to get a professional camera come spring for fly fishing can't wait, and this ISO is for what??
Old 01-07-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
The camera i was using is not a hi def one at all, this one fell in the mud and has spots on it now, but it does the trick, i am going to get a professional camera come spring for fly fishing can't wait, and this ISO is for what??
Hi Def? That doesn't mean much for cameras, only video cameras. The resolution of Hi Def video cameras are not even close to that of a 2 megapixel camera. Unless you have a camera from the stone age... or a crappy cell phone camera, your camera is "high def". I wasn't talking about the quality of your camera, I was talking about how the picture was shot.

You like to shoot fish from the nose down at a wide angle (ie. leaving the lens at its widest setting), which creates perspective distortions. It makes the fish look artificially large, and creates doubt about how awesome you are. A so called "professional" camera won't fix that unless you learn how to shoot properly. Shoot the artsy stuff if you want, but if you want an accurate photo that creates no doubt, shoot it properly. I've seen many people fall for the "maybe if I get a pro camera my pictures will be automatically better" line of thought, only to be supremely disappointed after spending thousands of dollars... that may not be your problem since you have a 1600 dollar a month budget for fishing gear anyways, but I thought I'd try to save you some grief.

I've got thousands of dollars of professional photo gear, but if I shot my photos like you do, people would doubt the size of my fish too.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:59 PM

You don't need a high def camera...

You just need the hold the fish properly instead of facing it towards the camera and oustretching your arms away from your body to make it look larger... That is why I didn't think it was 40 inches, its head looks like a 8-10 lb size fish and the body is far from thick or deep. When I look at your picture and posture I figure your hands are about 2 feet apart and then there is another 8-10 inches due to head and tail putting the fish a little over 30 inches.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:01 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hi Def? That doesn't mean much for cameras, only video cameras. The resolution of Hi Def video cameras are not even close to that of a 2 megapixel camera. Unless you have a camera from the stone age... or a crappy cell phone camera, your camera is "high def". I wasn't talking about the quality of your camera, I was talking about how the picture was shot.

You like to shoot fish from the nose down at a wide angle (ie. leaving the lens at its widest setting), which creates perspective distortions. It makes the fish look artificially large, and creates doubt about how awesome you are. A so called "professional" camera won't fix that unless you learn how to shoot properly. Shoot the artsy stuff if you want, but if you want an accurate photo that creates no doubt, shoot it properly. I've seen many people fall for the "maybe if I get a pro camera my pictures will be automatically better" line of thought, only to be supremely disappointed after spending thousands of dollars... that may not be your problem since you have a 1600 dollar budget for fishing gear anyways, but I thought I'd try to save you some grief.

I've got thousands of dollars of professional photo gear, but if I shot my photos like you do, people would doubt the size of my fish too.
Thanks for your input Kevin Thunder
Old 01-07-2012, 10:29 PM

I had no idea there was a rule to shoot a photo that would be good enough for the forum...
Old 01-07-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
I had no idea there was a rule to shoot a photo that would be good enough for the forum...
I didn't say there were any, I have no problem with people trying to be creative with their photos. It'd be pretty darn boring if everyone shot their photos the same way... but if someone is going to post a "LOOK AT MY 48 INCH PIKE!" photo, it'd better be shot right... or there will be cynics coming out of the woodwork to judge them.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:

You like to shoot fish from the nose down at a wide angle (ie. leaving the lens at its widest setting), which creates perspective distortions. It makes the fish look artificially large, and creates doubt about how awesome you are. A so called "professional" camera won't fix that unless you learn how to shoot properly. Shoot the artsy stuff if you want, but if you want an accurate photo that creates no doubt, shoot it properly. I've seen many people fall for the "maybe if I get a pro camera my pictures will be automatically better" line of thought, only to be supremely disappointed after spending thousands of dollars... that may not be your problem since you have a 1600 dollar a month budget for fishing gear anyways, but I thought I'd try to save you some grief.

kevin why don't you post some pics up and show us amateur photographers/hardcore fisherman how it's done. come on. with all that money tied up in photography equipment you must have a couple shots to share. treat us and include some with fish in them.

Dace
Old 01-07-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
kevin why don't you post some pics up and show us amateur photographers/hardcore fisherman how it's done. come on. with all that money tied up in photography equipment you must have a couple shots to share. treat us and include some with fish in them.

Dace
I'm not much of an nature photographer. Hauling this stuff around water when I'm fishing freaks me out. Besides, I know I can catch fish, I don't need to prove that . I'm just giving out some tips to try to help prevent all the old "no way that's 40 inches!" arguments.

I can however treat you to a couple of unedited safer shots I have laying around though.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:56 AM

Default Honest Photos

Quote:

X2 Just shoot pictures that are honest.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the story and pics Shawn!

What happened that the vehicle was towed?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-08-2012, 11:12 AM

Default RE

Nice pics thanks for sharing.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Banned

I don't know I think its time to find another forum when there is more posts on a thread about the size of a fish in the picture and how to take a picture then there is posts about catching the fish. I though this was a fishing forum if I wanted to learn a bout photography I would have joined a photography forum.
As long as the guy catches the fish and puts up a picture of HIS fish what the hell does it mater what he says it measures or weights. Christ it's no wonder no one wants to post pics any more.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
I don't know I think its time to find another forum when there is more posts on a thread about the size of a fish in the picture and how to take a picture then there is posts about catching the fish. I though this was a fishing forum if I wanted to learn a bout photography I would have joined a photography forum.
As long as the guy catches the fish and puts up a picture of HIS fish what the hell does it mater what he says it measures or weights. Christ it's no wonder no one wants to post pics any more.
I couldn't agree with you more. I was getting tired of people arguing about the size of people's fish and wanted to offer some advice to alleviate it. Sorry for detracting from the original intent of the thread.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Thanks for the story and pics Shawn!

What happened that the vehicle was towed?
Thanks Ken, parked for more then 72 hours and the police left a warning sticker so i towed it to a shop to get it fixed, was going to wait until after winter, but i guess not lol.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:49 PM

Looks like a great day
Old 01-09-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmoTrutta View Post
Looks like a great day
Thanks, was a great day, with -25 degree temps coming for the next couple weeks the ice should thicken up as well.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
with -25 degree temps coming for the next couple weeks
link? weather network shows just a few days around -20 then right back up to lower mainland weather

nice gators bud....good to see you take the keyboard criticism for what its worth...nothing...dont even reply to that crap...it'll just go away if nobody gives attention.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:15 AM

Default good day

sounds like a good day of fishing there. what part of the lake were u fishing?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:24 AM

Does anyone know where i can find a proffesional photographer so i can take photo's of my hairy asssss???? Lol, get back on track here boys!!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 12:27 PM

Hey Shaun,

Nice pictures keep them coming.....there are many of us on the forum who don't care how big the fish is (or is said to be), we just enjoy seeing the pics....so keep em coming.

I for one always look forward to seeing fishing pictures....I can't get out enough so I like seeing pictures from those who can get out often.

Oh and nice pike.

Chris