Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
Most farmers I know spend 6 months a year in Arizona in there second house.
The recruiter told me that's what I'd be doing as well!
Old 01-11-2014, 04:20 PM

lol and didn't tell you about winter warfare training in the artic ... or spending 6 weeks in wainwright in the back forty or enjoying the sunshine in sunny pet on metawa plains

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 01-11-2014, 04:24 PM

I am getting disgusted with how our government is treating our soldiers.
Cold Lake/Bonnyville is a oilfield boomtown on the scale of Fort Mac.
Our returning soldiers from missions overseas are treated like less than human. I am a Harper supporter but his government has dropped the ball huge time when it comes to our service members.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck12 View Post
I am getting disgusted with how our government is treating our soldiers.
Cold Lake/Bonnyville is a oilfield boomtown on the scale of Fort Mac.
Our returning soldiers from missions overseas are treated like less than human. I am a Harper supporter but his government has dropped the ball huge time when it comes to our service members.
How many billion was the f-35 debacle ?.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
I am a Harper supporter but his government has dropped the ball huge time when it comes to our service members.
Harper is the best friend that the Military has out of all of the other party leaders. I served during the "Decade of Darkness" in the '90's when the Liberals essentially gutted the Military. They shut down bases, had two a force reductions chopping our numbers to a point where one supervisor had to do the job of 3 people, froze promotions, slashed budgets to a point where you had to go "Bang! Bang!" on training exercises because there was no money for blanks and then when you deployed to Afghanistan you had to buy your own camel back at MEC before deploying only to show up in the desert in a green woodland camo uniform because there was no money to buy desert camo.....IN A WAR ZONE!

Awww man, don't get me going, I could go on and on. It was absolutely brutal and moral was terrible. Despite the flaws in the system now it's a walk in the park with a Conservative government in comparison to a Liberal one.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Harper is the best friend that the Military has out of all of the other party leaders. I served during the "Decade of Darkness" in the '90's when the Liberals essentially gutted the Military. They shut down bases, had two a force reductions chopping our numbers to a point where one supervisor had to do the job of 3 people, froze promotions, slashed budgets to a point where you had to go "Bang! Bang!" on training exercises because there was no money for blanks and then when you deployed to Afghanistan you had to buy your own camel back at MEC before deploying only to show up in the desert in a green woodland camo uniform because there was no money to buy desert camo.....IN A WAR ZONE!

Awww man, don't get me going, I could go on and on. It was absolutely brutal and moral was terrible. Despite the flaws in the system now it's a walk in the park with a Conservative government in comparison to a Liberal one.
All governments in this country pay lip service to the military at election time. But do little in between elections, the liberals neglected the military but what wars were we fighting in the 90's ?
Old 01-11-2014, 04:42 PM

bosnia with cougars and m113s no armour old crappy flak vests .

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 01-11-2014, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Most farmers I know spend 6 months a year in Arizona in there second house.

Sorry for the derail.
You must not know many farmers then
Old 01-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
About that......I have no problem whatsoever with the Conservative government doing what they did in order to get the right equipment for our troops. If they hadn't backdoored the purchase the opposition would have never even entertained the thought of spending that kind of money on the proper aircraft that our troops NEED in order to do the job. If the liberals had their way our pilots would be in biplanes with walkie talkies from Can Tire.

Case in point.....Research the purchase of the 3 used British subs that the Liberals made. The subs weren't good enough for the Brits so the Liberals snapped them up because they were good enough/cheap enough for our troops. At least one Sailor died in one of those subs on the first voyage just bringing them from Britain to Canada!

Oh, and after being dry docked since then and sinking a gazillion $$$$ into them, one is getting ready to go out to sea on a trial run. I'd be scared to death if I was a Submariner posted to that vessel.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
About that......I have no problem whatsoever with the Conservative government doing what they did in order to get the right equipment for our troops. If they hadn't backdoored the purchase the opposition would have never even entertained the thought of spending that kind of money on the proper aircraft that our troops NEED in order to do the job. If the liberals had their way our pilots would be in biplanes with walkie talkies from Can Tire.

Case in point.....Research the purchase of the 3 used British subs that the Liberals made. The subs weren't good enough for the Brits so the Liberals snapped them up because they were good enough/cheap enough for our troops. At least one Sailor died in one of those subs on the first voyage just bringing them from Britain to Canada!

Oh, and after being dry docked since then and sinking a gazillion $$$$ into them, one is getting ready to go out to sea on a trial run. I'd be scared to death if I was a Submariner posted to that vessel.

We didn't buy them, they were given to Canada in leu of rent for Suffield.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
All governments in this country pay lip service to the military at election time. But do little in between elections, the liberals neglected the military but what wars were we fighting in the 90's ?
You'd be surprised what all was going on in the '90's ali. Bosnia immediately comes to mind but there were missions all over the world not to mention forest fires, flooding and ice storms to deal with. The 90's was a mess for our Military and the phrase used was, "Do better with less."

Check out this short video and listen to the sound of the piano when it hits the 1990's mark.....lol! You might be surprised how many and where missions were going on.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle14153612/
Old 01-11-2014, 04:55 PM

we did pay for them at a cheaper rate

Old 01-11-2014, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Chaser View Post
We didn't buy them, they were given to Canada in leu of rent for Suffield.
I was pretty sure that we bought them but six of one, a half dozen of the other. If someone owes you $1B and you settle on taking a rusting piece of junk sub then IMO that sub cost you $1B.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:10 PM
Banned

Quote:

I'm not making excuses for why the liberals did. I have a lot of friends who served in the 90's and were in Bosnia and Rawanda and the golan heights etc. but those things were peace keeping missions not comparable to Afghanistan. For sure the liberals didn't do a great job of maintaining the military but the conservatives are only marginally better, the same pmq's that were falling apart in the 90's are 10 years older and worse now. A lot of greisbach was sold off forcing soldiers into private or barracks. The f-35 was a waste I billions that could have gone to other things etc.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Yup, when you're not deployed on a mission you're training and/or working. There are no Monday - Friday, 8 hour days in the Army. It's a 24/7 365 day/year way of life. I missed the better part of my Daughter's first 3 years of her life due to deployments and training.....that's just how it worked out at the time. I'm not whining or complaining, I have absolutely no regrets either and I wouldn't change a thing.

*EDIT* Oh, and no overtime either or I'd be a gazillionaire right now.....lol!
What's a standard day though when you're not deployed? I can see the being available for a crisis being part of the job, but surely there must be some type of schedule.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Zero. They did not buy any.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not making excuses for why the liberals did. I have a lot of friends who served in the 90's and were in Bosnia and Rawanda and the golan heights etc. but those things were peace keeping missions not comparable to Afghanistan.
You are mistaken. The government didn't want the public to know what was going on over there for public relations reasons. One particular nasty battle that was kept quiet from the Canadian public at the time was the Battle of Medak Pocket. There are some very well documented stories about it if you google it. Fascinating stuff if you're into that sort of thing.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/news/arti...ocket/hljg3bso
Old 01-11-2014, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
What's a standard day though when you're not deployed? I can see the being available for a crisis being part of the job, but surely there must be some type of schedule.
Gotta run but I'll let you know later.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Zero. They did not buy any.
http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/po...service=mobile

Stephen Harper’s Conservatives are officially recanting their 2 1/2-year-old decision to buy the cutting-edge F-35 fighter plane – but the federal government is still resisting calls to hold an open competition to pick Canada’s next jet purchase.

The Harper government on Wednesday officially announced it was backing off a sole-source plan to buy 65 F-35 Lightning jets as a replacement for Canada’s aging CF-18 Hornets. It was a rare U-turn for an administration that only infrequently acknowledges it was wrong – but one the Tories felt was necessary to repair their fiscal stewardship credentials.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:44 PM

The only thing the citizens of this country know about the military is what the media tell them. The media never tells good stories. It's all tragedy and drama (emotion). Telling offbeat stories about the military is great for a media who only know the left side of the story. The military this very day is better off than any time in the past 40+ years. I do have some credibility saying that........I'm into my 42nd year.

Quote:
Ali,
Pay attention to HunterDave. He knows what he is talking about!! I could add much more to his anecdotes but the memories would just ruin my weekend. As churlish as it sounds, but for me true, I will hate the chretian/liberals for the rest of my life for what we had to do and witness ..... They know NO SHAME.

I can understand his plight - living as I do in Fort McMurray! I hope the government takes into account the increasing cost of living and housing in Cold Lake.

Having said that though, I've got a kid in the forces and he makes more than I do!!! And he spends a lot of money on guns .

I've also got a son-in-law in the CF and he is doing well too.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
The only thing the citizens of this country know about the military is what the media tell them. The media never tells good stories. It's all tragedy and drama (emotion). Telling offbeat stories about the military is great for a media who only know the left side of the story. The military this very day is better off than any time in the past 40+ years. I do have some credibility saying that........I'm into my 42nd year.
I whole heartily agree with this old bxxtard.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Banned

Default Good soldiers

Quote:
Yes they do.
Well then yeah they should at least make enough money to pay their rent or perhaps lower the salary a bit and the government take care of the housing. Its totally retarded they sacrifice a lot. They should be treated much better.

Last edited by Burglecut83; 01-11-2014 at 07:43 PM. Reason: left part out
Old 01-11-2014, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
bosnia with cougars and m113s no armour old crappy flak vests .
Didn't the French give Chretien some body armor because the ones our troops had where unsuitable?
Old 01-11-2014, 08:22 PM

work like 70 hrs a week no overtime ... aleast pc gave us new armour leopard 2 and new arty libs bought us nothing ... bosnia shelled shot at daily mass graves maybe civies think it was a peacekeeping mission but it was a war

Old 01-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Find another job. Its that easy.
Exactly.

What's the real reason he's out there panhandling? I'm sure there's more too this story.

Not too many jobs out there that give you as much time off as the military, with pay I might add.

Don't like it.....move on.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:16 PM

The housing is cheap and affordable on bases. My experience with CFB Suffield shows me that most soldiers aren't equipped with the ability to handle their finances. I know a few soldiers that have the ability to save money and travel a bit and live quite well. But the majority of the soldiers I know spend their money foolishly and rake up debt on credit cards and then complain about the pay. They need to be taught a little how to manage their money and live on a budget as well as being taught to shoot a gun IMO.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:20 PM

you sign a contract .. you get time off cause work your arse off 20 hrs no sleep weeks with out a day off no civie job does that its not a job its a life style that civies don't get ... if you figure the hours you put in it works out like 10 bucks a hour ..

Old 01-11-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nester View Post
Exactly.

What's the real reason he's out there panhandling? I'm sure there's more too this story.

Not too many jobs out there that give you as much time off as the military, with pay I might add.

Don't like it.....move on.
So, lets say they don't like it and they want to quit, they hand in their papers, sounds easy, in 6 MONTHS they are released, not tomorrow,6 MONTHS, do you think that job they want is still going to there. Are they still on the hook for training and tours, YES they are. It is easy for you to say move on, you can quit today and be in another job tomorrow.