Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-27-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twytter View Post
ok soo its not true but i didn ear it from anyone i read it in the regulation that you would only be alowed to hunt with a quad like after 12pm or something like that and then a friend told me yea
Yah no morning quad hunts....just afternoon in most places. Thats fine by me....those who are too lazy to walk in the morning would ruin my quiet morning hunts....

I really like this rule TBH, already had one law-breaking moron ruin a "spot and stalk" moose hunt during bow season on me cause he was bow hunting off of his quad....

Judging by your first post, either you are a new hunter or new to Alberta hunter.....if you are new here and you don't like the rules....go back to where you came from.....if you are from here and don't like the rules.....suck it up buttercup

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 06-27-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:51 PM

i didnt say i have the right to do what ever i want but in canada its supose to be a free country lol free of what to do what the goverment wants you to do, and i said that the law was ridiculus and stupid thats how i feel with it cant say what i want here i taught thats what a forum was for to say how you feel about certain thing well if you like that law good for you but i dont soooo good for you if you like it,and you probly like it cause you probly dont have a quad
Old 06-27-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
i didnt say i have the right to do what ever i want but in canada its supose to be a free country lol free of what to do what the goverment wants you to do, and i said that the law was ridiculus and stupid thats how i feel with it cant say what i want here i taught thats what a forum was for to say how you feel about certain thing well if you like that law good for you but i dont soooo good for you if you like it,and you probly like it cause you probly dont have a quad
I taught I taw a putty tat...

I do own a quad. I just don't hunt off of it. I use it like all other tools get me from point A to B and help haul my critter out of the bush.

I hear some of the countries in Africa you can do whatever you want....there is really no government, just make sure you know how to shoot straight you could probably hunt off a quad there.

LC
Old 06-27-2011, 05:58 PM

and its not just about that i dont want to walk, i like to leave my camper with my quad soo i can get to my hunting spot without take 4hrs to get there instead of taking the truck what the difference does it make if some people take there quad to drive to there hunting spote instead of there truck thats what i mean by dont like that law, and if you dont like me here bring me back to where i belong if you can
Old 06-27-2011, 06:02 PM

LOL, I must have struck a nerve....all I am saying is I like this particular rule for the reasons I posted above....nothing worse when you are out bow hunting enjoying a quiet morning and some idiot is BOW HUNTING of off a quad in the wee morning....do you see nothing wrong with that?

Also great to be calling elk in the morning hunting a cut block and people are blasting around on quads....I own a quad so I am not against quads.

If you don't like it thats fine. Write a letter to someone who will fix it for you.

In regards to this,
what the difference does it make if some people take there quad to drive to there hunting spote instead of there truck

Read the rules a wee bit closer and you might find your holy grail. Don't wake the rooster....

LC
Old 06-27-2011, 06:04 PM

you guys dont even know what i am talking about, see you just said you uses your quad to get from point A to B well thats what i was talking about to but what in between your points you see a big bull you wont shoot it cause your not allowed is that what you supose to do thats what i was trying to find out.and you can keep your stupid remark about going back to where i belong i am here to find out why they have that law out for atv but not with truck whats the difference you aint driving on pave road your in the bush
Old 06-27-2011, 06:04 PM

Default Composting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Stupid idea. How many drop off sites will there be and who will man and run them? How far are you willing to drive to dispose of a carcass?
I asked my husband to respond as he is more in tune with what is actually going on with the composting of carcasses. Here is his response:

Stupid Idea?.... actually far from it.

Carcass Composting is a cost-effective solution to a number of problems facing not only livestock producers, but wildife managers through SRD and all agencies that deal with roadkill on provincial and municipal roadways.

As a bit more background... prior to BSE carcass pickup service was free to Alberta producers. Hides at the time were worth dollars, and rendering plants used much of the deads for feed production such as dog food and rendered crude protein in fish food for the aquaculture industry. Post BSE regulations lead to the banning of the inclusion of Specified Risk Material in such products of which the brain, spinal cord etc. were included. The market for deadstock products evaporated and rendering service then had to start charging to allow the service to still be available. Costs initially were 6 cents per pound, which then went to 9 and up to 11 cents. Most recently the cost is increasing again to 13 cents per pound. And the cost for a horse is now a 250 dollar flat fee.

On average your looking at anywhere between 100 to 200 dollars to pickup an adult cow or bull... considering the producer has just lost the animal and the investment he has put into the animail, its difficult to swallow the fact he is now going to pay for this to be removed. It gets even more ridiculous for calves, there is a minimum 75 dollar fee for the rendering truck to come out to pick up an animal. So you have a 50lb calf that just died during calving season, multiply that by maybe 2% of the heard for natural average loss in a year and the carcasses can add up fast... or the bill if you still decide to have them hauled away...

For example, one municipality in the southwest end of the province... prime large carnivore habitat... pre-BSE would have an average of 900-1100 carcasses a year picked up. Post-BSE that dropped down to about 200 by 2009 that number was virtually zero. Its not that there are less losses, or that the herd sizes have dropped, its that the carcasses are now being left in bone yards for scavenging all over the place. A visiting Bear Biologist from Montana actually laughed at a community meeting and said "its no wonder you have more encounters and conflits with bears"..."your the McDonalds in the middle of the highway for bears"

Community Groups in localized areas of the province are already working on development and implementation of carcass pickup programs, and organizations have helped foot the bill for rendering service in problem areas.

Unfortunately, simply going hat-in-hand looking for grant funding to pay for the service is not sustainable. At this time, the rendering companies which are under a monopoly in Western Canada by westcoast reductions... are being subsidized to have the "service" still availalbe. They take the carcasss to central plants such as in Lethbridge, then when they have a truck-full haul them to Calgary, grind up the unused carcass, and haul them off to a class one landfill in Coronation... the community group or producer foots the other half of the bill and thats the end of it... does this make any sense to anyone else?

In the south such as Cardston County, central in Mountain View County, and in the Peace region Grande Prairie County are all developing composting alternatives to deal with these issues in a more cost-effective means. And I don't doubt this is only the first wave of facilities province-wide. Estimates are composting costs little more than 3 cents per pound, including delivery to the site.

Composting is low input and can be operated as modeled in the south through the existing municipal Ag Service Boards, a small CFIA and AB Environment registered facility can easily deal with seasonal pressure of use from Calving and the eventual losses of large livestock. The only inputs for composting is wet bedding material and starter compost, as well as feedstock such as shavings or old hay and straw that in most areas would probably be donated by local organizations or producers. Carcasses are placed in the piles or cells as needed, and are only turned after 4-6 months, then moved to a finishing pile after 9 months before completing the compost within the calender year. CFIA regualations are that the finished material can not be spread on AG lands, but again a good fit with the MDs is that most counties can use the material for top dressing roads that are being reconstructed each year, or stockpiled for other reclamation projects such as at dump locations.

To address the question of how far are producers willing to take carcasses? - I'd suggest that each community is different, but a combination of community drop-off bins for calf carcasses and possibly hiring a semi-retired local to run a route on call once or twice a week during the busy season would work best.

Despite what some environmental groups would lead many people to believe in this province, the Grizzy Bear population is expanding exponentially, especially in the south where they are connected to over 946 breeding bears in Montana and the Flathead valley. Along with being the largest predator they are the largest scavengers, and can smell a dead pile from miles away. Even after these piles are cleaned up, the learned behavior of scavenging takes years to de-program the bears. Composting is only one of the tools in the "toolbox" for bear management, but its a great service as well for our producers.

Supporting these initiatives will go a long way in ensuring a sustainable large carnivore population on the landscape and will help reduce the health and safety risk to producers in the ag interface zones that are prime habitat.

I hope that helps...
Old 06-27-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
you guys dont even know what i am talking about, see you just said you uses your quad to get from point A to B well thats what i was talking about to but what in between your points you see a big bull you wont shoot it cause your not allowed is that what you supose to do thats what i was trying to find out.and you can keep your stupid remark about going back to where i belong i am here to find out why they have that law out for atv but not with truck whats the difference you aint driving on pave road your in the bush
The answer is yes thats what you are supposed to do.

LC
Old 06-27-2011, 06:11 PM

well thats what i am saying then its a stupid law i dont care what other is saying but i dont like it thats it thats all,i probly wont change there mind but its still my opinion sorry if i offended some out there but if i did its probly cause you work there and or vote for it ,and but you will shoot it if you see it with your truck but not your quad ok that makes sense
Old 06-27-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
well thats what i am saying then its a stupid law i dont care what other is saying but i dont like it thats it thats all,i probly wont change there mind but its still my opinion sorry if i offended some out there but if i did its probly cause you work there and or vote for it ,and but you will shoot it if you see it with your truck but not your quad ok that makes sense
you see use adults don't road hunt either. We can all get up at 6 and drive our quads to the spot, and then relax enjoy a cup of coffee or tea and a snack. If you can drive your truck then your awfully close to roads. The law is there to keep people from riding a quad right past someone that has gotten up and gotten set before the animals are active. You would be surprised at the animals you see when you've been sitting silently before first light. Try it you might find it works well and really is not a big deal. ( and yes I own a quad I bought it just for hunting)
Old 06-27-2011, 06:56 PM

Great info Bearsweg. Thanks for posting that.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:55 PM

whatever i never said i wanted to do whatever i wanted i just said i didnt like that law whatever you are better then everyone here good for you Guilligan
Old 06-27-2011, 08:01 PM

well fine for you too then if you like that law, but i dont and i do get up and go hunting before the sun get up but thats not the point, you all better then everyone at hunting soo cant say my opinion well thats fine wont say anything then hope you all have a great day and hope someone that dont hunt and ride there quad and do scare all the animal around you then if thats the case
Old 06-27-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Great info Bearsweg. Thanks for posting that.
I concur. Thanks Bearsweg.

You covered many of the economic, logistical, social, and ecological issues that are related to roadkill and agricultural composting. And you said it well.

This is nothing new. Many jurisdictions worldwide have been doing this for quite a while.

209, do you still feel that it is a Stupid idea?
Old 06-27-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
whatever i never said i wanted to do whatever i wanted i just said i didnt like that law whatever you are better then everyone here good for you Guilligan
Teytter dont you get it? When you are the only one going in that direction then you are driving the wrong way! You are the only person on this forum and dare I say alberta that doesnt like this law.the rest if us love it so ppl like you dont keep ruining our hunts. So dont bother trying to defend your position, no one agrees with you.if you dont like it then move
Old 06-27-2011, 08:03 PM

move me if you can lol taugh guy
Old 06-27-2011, 08:04 PM

yea i still do
Old 06-27-2011, 08:06 PM

and i am not the only one that think that, i know lots of them that think the same way but thats right they are not in this forum to speak
Old 06-27-2011, 08:07 PM

Twyt `et alii'. How about we keep this thread from being locked?
Old 06-27-2011, 08:11 PM

whatever you guys are all the best at every thing anyway soo doo what you want
Old 06-27-2011, 08:16 PM

Like most fo the resolutions except for the hunting big game with dogs. Not wanting to spend my time in peace and solitude intrupted by a pack of dogs. I think that horses and mules make better pack animals.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:24 PM

Default twytter

its people like the rule is there so everyone is not listening to you ripping up and down ever pipeline or break in the bush..
Darrell
Old 06-27-2011, 08:36 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdalexander View Post
Like most fo the resolutions except for the hunting big game with dogs. Not wanting to spend my time in peace and solitude intrupted by a pack of dogs. I think that horses and mules make better pack animals.
There was no resolution for hunting big game with dogs.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:44 PM

ok well whatever the people that just go camping and not hunting they are able to drive there bike, sooo what difference does it make i dont see any cause they can go around of where you hunt and still scare every animal around and you are able after noon, either stop it all day or dont simple has that
Old 06-27-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

209, do you still feel that it is a Stupid idea?
Yep, SRD can't afford gas for the CO trucks and now we are going to spend money on taking care of an agriculture problem. Bloody brilliant!
Old 06-27-2011, 11:17 PM

"WILDLIFE RESOLUTION NUMBER W-5-2011
Permit Big Game Hunters to be Accompanied by a Pack Dog

BE IT RESOLVED THAT Alberta Sustainable Resource Development, Fish & Wildlife Division change the law to permit hunters in 400-series WMU‟s to be accompanied by a pack dog while hunting big game.

BRIEF: Alberta is currently the only western state or province that does not allow big game hunters to be accompanied by a dog while hunting big game in the mountains. These dogs are used as pack animals and serve as an excellent deterrent against grizzly bears when camping in remote areas and when field dressing game in grizzly country. These dogs are in no way permitted to assist in the harvesting of game and are serious working dogs that are in direct control by the hunter at all times. By permitting the use of pack dogs in grizzly country, human/bear confrontations could be greatly reduced. "

This is what I was refering to. While it is not technically hunting big game with dogs, it will mean that there will me more dogs accompanying hunters.

Sorry if I was not clear on the intention.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:41 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
"While it is not technically hunting big game with dogs, it will mean that there will me more dogs accompanying hunters.
Hopefully!
Old 06-28-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
"WILDLIFE RESOLUTION NUMBER W-5-2011
Permit Big Game Hunters to be Accompanied by a Pack Dog

This is what I was refering to. While it is not technically hunting big game with dogs, it will mean that there will me more dogs accompanying hunters.

Sorry if I was not clear on the intention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Hopefully!
Old 06-28-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Yep, SRD can't afford gas for the CO trucks and now we are going to spend money on taking care of an agriculture problem. Bloody brilliant!
From just the resolution information, I have no idea if the end result of a Composting program would be good for the bottom line of SRD? Do you?

It's probable that Transportation and Agriculture would be involved financially as well.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
From just the resolution information, I have no idea if the end result of a Composting program would be good for the bottom line of SRD? Do you?

It's probable that Transportation and Agriculture would be involved financially as well.
"probable" uh huh. NOT buying it WB. Cows are not any part of SRD purview and will be the vast majority of the composting project so if it is such a great low cost idea why doesn't SRD just wait for Ag and Trans to fire up and fund the project and then piggy back in? Better question is why is the AFGA looking to help out the Alberta Beef Assoc after the stab in the heart over their attempts to introduce draconian gun controls?