Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2011, 09:12 PM

Unhappy keep hope alive

chin up girl. until you know hes gone, hes still got a chance. ive got a rescue dog from eden valley reserve that runs away for days too! i feel your pain, just reading the thread brings sorrow to my heart. Thank you for giving him a place in yours. good luck
Old 05-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Ladygun

Can someone please message parfleche and ask him to message me for some reason I have a hard time messaging people off my phone and have no computer. I need Jim to try to get that trap. Formykids has had some troubles of his own and I need some traps soon. Thanks
Cass
Old 05-03-2011, 09:54 PM

i pm'ed him to contact you
hope you find him
Old 05-03-2011, 09:54 PM

pm sent
Old 05-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Ladygun

Thanks guys I appreciate it.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Banned

Default airplane

Does anyone in that area have a plane or going to be going to do any aerial pipeline surveillance in the area? Maybe they could keep an out as well...I know a German Shepherd might not stick out too well, but it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye out if someone is going to be up in the air in the area.

Hope you find him. Good luck and best wishes.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:26 PM

This is tearing and tearing me up, I love GSD's with all my heart, I truly hope Midor comes home safe and sound..

Good luck, and know that my prayers and thoughts are for a safe and happy reunion!!
Vice-President of Project Healing Waters & Fly fishing Canada
Old 05-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Ladygun

Midor has been spotted back by the bridge we just heard it on the radio. We are headed out there now. Please someone come with traps. All the people who were supposed to come with traps have not called today when thy said they would. I am begging you.
Cass
Old 05-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Ladygun

Even if someone has a different idea come put please or call me I jut need something!! Anyone know how to snare in the area? A none lethal snare?
Cass
Old 05-04-2011, 06:11 PM

Cass - I wish I had something productive I could do. My thoughts and wishes are with you. I hate the idea of a pet in trouble.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Banned

If you can spot him,go in alone and calm with something real tasty smelling,.He`s spooked but hungry,if he knows you and you are calm and don`t have a bunch of people following you in,you may be able to get him to come on up to you.Good luck,wish I could help more.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:47 PM

Did the dog get the muzzle off?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Ladygun

Not that I know of? Have you seen a gsd without one in the area?

I sat for six hours with him about forty yards away with a chunk of steak ); he was to scared to approach. I haven't actually seen him in more then twenty for hours I'm wondering if the people who called the radio station saw a different dog. If anyone sees him I'm still looking and hopeful. But his chances are looking slim now. I only got one report and it was just of a dog hanging out in the ditch on 54 near Innisfail. Could have been any dog and since Midor has a muzzle on you would think that would be mentioned but it wasn't.
Still praying he'll be caught alive and well. Still looking for any traps or advice anyone has to offer.
Cass
Old 05-04-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygun View Post
Not that I know of? Have you seen a gsd without one in the area?

I sat for six hours with him about forty yards away with a chunk of steak ); he was to scared to approach. I haven't actually seen him in more then twenty for hours I'm wondering if the people who called the radio station saw a different dog. If anyone sees him I'm still looking and hopeful. But his chances are looking slim now. I only got one report and it was just of a dog hanging out in the ditch on 54 near Innisfail. Could have been any dog and since Midor has a muzzle on you would think that would be mentioned but it wasn't.
Still praying he'll be caught alive and well. Still looking for any traps or advice anyone has to offer.
Cass
No I am not in rocky. I was just hoping he had thats all. Good luck. I can see you are doing everything possible.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:21 PM
Gone Hunting

The only thing I know that has worked for me everytime is a female in heat.

A member posted here last week looking for a stud for his female lab. She was just in heat. He may even be from out your way.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-05-2011, 12:12 AM
Ladygun

Monday brought two in standing heat bitches to him. He air scented but was to afraid to come close. ); we have literally tried everything. And another sleepless night for me.
Cass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
The only thing I know that has worked for me everytime is a female in heat.

A member posted here last week looking for a stud for his female lab. She was just in heat. He may even be from out your way.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:53 AM

This might be a long shot.... but, I had some very wild cows (rodeo mamas) when I was in KS. We had to set up a trap to catch them.

Is there any chance a round pen with bait in it would work? You have to hide somewhere to monitor the situation and hurry in to close the gate once he's in there.

He might be able to squeeze through the bars of the panels though. Just a thought.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:52 AM

This is so sad. Even if the animal control people couldn't help you with the trapping, surely they could have lent or rented you the equipment. They must have something for situations like this.
You should have said it was a pit bull, you would have had half the province chipping in to get this animal under control.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:18 PM

I just talked to one of the vet clinics here, and they said while they do not have tranq guns, they have something called Acevet that they stick in food that safely slows them down to a crawl. I understand the muzzle is still on, but maybe call another of the vetrinary offices, make them aware of this thread, you might get some help.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-05-2011, 05:50 PM

if u can get atravet, and mix it in a milky slop of canned dog food and leave it for him, it should make him mellow right out or go to sleep, if u can't get any u could always try gravol pills crushed in something like that, the gravol will also make him sleep, maybe not taste as good though.. if it is in something that he can push the muzzle into he may be able to get some...I suspect that is how he is getting water..
Old 05-05-2011, 07:17 PM

Thinking about the Atrevet, Acevet. How fast will it act?

Could be trouble for the guy if he eats, leaves, and then falls asleep, especially over night.

Ladygun,

Have you talked with F&W? They have all the tools, traps and drugs, and are often very good for helping out. Maybe a CO will help out, off the clock.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:39 PM

atravet and acepromazine are the same thing ace is an injectable...and atravet is a powder,,,,,depend how much he ate how long it would take to take effect, how much if anything he has in his stomach.....don't wanna come off rude but i reakon he's in trouble anyway,,,,hope to heck that they can find something that will work...maybe rig up a snare with a stiff rope with a big washer or something as a stop, so he can't choke,,,and bait food in something he'd have to put his head in.....
Old 05-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Ladygun

Well guys unfortunately Midor has not been seen for a day now. I am at a loss as I have tried soupy food now to bait him or at least feed him but he is not in the area anymore. The food was untouched. We are still praying but it doesn't look good.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:55 PM

so sorry to hear, but u never know he may turn up yet.......hopes are with you
Old 05-05-2011, 08:35 PM

Sorry to hear about this. As ridiculous as it sounds, have you thought about a cartoon style hole in the ground? Somebody mentioned a calf roper? Not to far fetched an idea now, if he's been without food he'll be slowing down, and a decent roper with a good horse should be able to get in on him.
Best of luck, do truly hope you are able to catch up to him
Old 05-06-2011, 09:35 PM

Any news?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....