Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyj View Post
anyone know what a coon hide is worth these days?

Used to get $30-$35 about 30 years ago.
$15 - $42

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-20-2011, 04:18 PM

Default coon on hiway

Seen a dead one up near conklin. It must of hitched a ride on a truck loaded for the north and fell out.

Seen a family of 6 20 minutes south of Lac la biche 3 years ago. Couldnt believe it.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:58 AM

Default Coons

Ran into a whole family of coons while spotting for deer and coyotes 2 years ago just outside Monarch. They was about 5 of them all standing perfectly in a row (facing away from me at about 25 yards), so I could have nailed 2 or 3 of em with just one shot.... I lined em up with my 30-06...a little overkill I know... but its the only rifle I got at the moment... and my buddy somehow convinced me to let em live....the pure nature lover he is... Well I wasn't just gonna let em get away without a little fun... so I slowly crept up to them....and well u can see for yourself....Some might say this is classified as harassing the wildlife... but i can assure you no coons were harmed...lol

sorry for the attachments...cant seem to figure out how to post pics yet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coon1.jpg (68.8 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg coon2.jpg (45.6 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg coon3.jpg (49.3 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg coon4.jpg (59.3 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg coon5.jpg (32.6 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg coon6.jpg (33.2 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg coon7.jpg (42.0 KB, 281 views)

Last edited by Big Turk; 03-24-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:46 AM

nice pics I love the looks of them and thier antics but not an animal that you want in alberta shoot everyone of them you can. there worse than rats.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:29 AM

Raccoons have set up residence in Fish creek park.They visit my yard on a regular basis.I am thinking about a trap as they drive the dog nuts.

Been seeing them for around 3 years now.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:06 PM

My wife and I have just finalized the purchase of an acreage about 20 minutes North East of Edmonton. The previous owner claims to have caught 4 of the little buggers with live traps in the past 2 years. Anyone else seen them around gibbons?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Banned

holy smokes big turk! the younguns must have been curious or something. i tried to run one down once with a weapon in hand. they are faster than a badger thats for darn sure. i kept thinking when i got close he would turn to fight, but he never did. just ran and ran and when he hit thick cover i lost him. he was much bigger than i thought possible, and in better shape than me. crap i was winded after that.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:17 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
My wife and I have just finalized the purchase of an acreage about 20 minutes North East of Edmonton. The previous owner claims to have caught 4 of the little buggers with live traps in the past 2 years. Anyone else seen them around gibbons?
I've heard of them around there but haven't seen one.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
holy smokes big turk! the younguns must have been curious or something. i tried to run one down once with a weapon in hand.they are faster than a badger thats for darn sure. i kept thinking when i got close he would turn to fight, but he never did. just ran and ran and when he hit thick cover i lost him. he was much bigger than i thought possible, and in better shape than me. crap i was winded after that.
Your gonna have to work at your shovel throwing technique ISB.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 PM

I got 8 raccoons near taber, pelted them ,I think there is more around here them most people think there is.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Banned

it was actually a fencepost that time. gotta be willing to improvise . we had guns....maybe should have just shot him, but i didnt want a hole in him. i had visions of making my own hat out of him. i definitely learned something that evening.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:32 AM
Banned

my late grandfather was a trapper and he trapped a raccoon abot 40 yrs. ago in the two hills area. at the time it was a big deal as no-one had ever seen or heard of one around there before.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:20 AM

I live a few miles east of Magrath AB. Last year I either trapped or shot 9 of them. This year I have either trapped or shot 11 of them. I've declared war on them . . . . It's is a full time job. They like to eat my garden ( especially the corn . . . . . they peel it and eat every last bit of it) and cat food. They killed 12 of my laying hens one night after they dug under the door of my coup. I hate em . . . and have no mercy for them. They are mean and dirty little buggers. Don't want my kids around them either in the coulees. Very noctournal. They love river systems and creeks. If anyone catches one, please don't let it go. You know what to do with it.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:24 PM

This was spotted about 25 km Northwest of Camrose near Hay Lakes...
First one that I have ever seen around here or my dad has either.

Needless to say it is waiting to be skinned right now.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:56 PM

Default racoons

I live in the community of Parkland in Calgary. 2 weeks ago, I woke up with 2 coons in my back yard moving around on some scrap wood I had left over from building my deck.

Pat
Old 09-26-2012, 12:00 AM

The neighbors last week were saying they're common around Two Hills this year, and some are being found north of the river.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:16 PM

Okay, guys, help me understand this. We have coons here in the south and there aren't many complaints, just your occasional trash can turned over and such. If you don't want them I understand, and I'm with ya, but why are folks so spooked of there presence?
Old 09-26-2012, 08:49 PM

My wife seen while family of raccoons cross road at night shortly after there was one dead on road only been around couple of years
Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 PM

I shot 2 and and the wife shot another after I went to work. They where trying to get the chickens?? and my dogs put them up a tree and the main powerpole. And this is the craziest part when I put the scope on the one he covered his eyes[whitemask] with his cute little fingers...well it didnt save him but these are thinking type critters forrrrsure. Also, They had no bad smell what so ever but my neighbor live trapped 4 last year and they where beyond rancid smelling...once the snow comes Im gonna search more for sign...my dogs still seem alil' uptight around here and now they know they get to rag on them... they almost smile when I grab a gun....chain
Old 09-26-2012, 09:53 PM

Default raccoons in ab?

Seen one east of Forestburg, and a dead one on the highway a mile west of Killam. Also heard there was a family of them south of Lougheed.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
holy smokes big turk! the younguns must have been curious or something. i tried to run one down once with a weapon in hand. they are faster than a badger thats for darn sure. i .
Round mouth shovel, or square spade?
Cat
Old 09-26-2012, 11:03 PM

my cousin shot 3 of five out by our farm early this year out by tofeild,riley area
Old 09-27-2012, 06:46 AM

Had 6 eating out of my dogs dish outside one night. I stepped outside and one of the teenage ones took a run at me, lol. Then they scattered.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:27 AM

Got bad attitudes when they are cornered!!!! Destructive little devils when they want to be!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:28 PM

My cousin got one near St. Paul last weekend
Old 09-27-2012, 07:01 PM

I saw one just outside of Vermilion in the early eighties. I was roaming the bush with a bb gun and ran into the masked bandit. I told my dad that I'd seen one and he laughed at me. "There are none of those around here" he said. I'd seen it plain as day though, the only one I've ever seen in Alberta.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
kind of off the topic a bit, but i was watching youtube clips of wild north and he trapped a skunk just north of the alberta border in the territories. couldnt believe it till i saw it.
Pole cats everywhere in the Chin...noticed you're location is Manning...not too far south of that border...?

Racoons, never seen one up as far North as the guys mention. Did see 6 dead ones on the highway 36 south of Hanna a few summers ago though. Like a cult suicide in the middle of the night!
Old 09-28-2012, 01:30 AM

Come to Southern Ontario boys ! I shot over 300 of them in just two weeks several years ago. In the winter, they sleep in the hollows of trees and are easy pickin. Climbing trees with spurs is mandatory.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisb View Post
Pole cats everywhere in the Chin...noticed you're location is Manning...not too far south of that border...?

Racoons, never seen one up as far North as the guys mention. Did see 6 dead ones on the highway 36 south of Hanna a few summers ago though. Like a cult suicide in the middle of the night!
Ummmm.. ya, i lived in manning/chinchaga for almost 40 years... not once have i or anyone i know(most everyone in town), has never seen a skunk up around manning area...
Old 09-28-2012, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattNight View Post
Okay, guys, help me understand this. We have coons here in the south and there aren't many complaints, just your occasional trash can turned over and such. If you don't want them I understand, and I'm with ya, but why are folks so spooked of there presence?
Its because they are smart and like to get into everything. They are outside of a familiarity and they have lil hands and can use there fingers, just look at em, creepy lil "rodents" vermin as you will...............
Me I would love to see a wild one alive. I would also love to have on on the wall next to my badger. The raccoon is just another animal doing its animal business. People that are as closed minded about coons also think we should wipe out wolves and cougars because they eat all "our" wildlife and are scary dangerous animals. Give your head a shake its a coon, just doing its coon business. why all the hate, If you can give me one legitimate response other then, some crap about they do this and they do that ill believe you