Old 12-27-2022, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
Maybe there is more to this story.

Yup.
Old 12-27-2022, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
I have dealt with lots of AO members with a zero rating. If they are the buyer it is cash in hand first and if a seller then it is F2F. The feedback system is good but a lot of people don't leave feedback even after you give a positive review, I'd say 6 of my last 10 transactions didn't leave feedback.

Then different rating system kicks in. You track them down and club them repeatedly with the item you sold/bought. +3, +5, +7.

Last edited by 270person; 12-27-2022 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-27-2022, 05:57 PM

This is why I post copious pics of every conceivable angle, highlighting any areas of wear or damage. Then no one can say anything. I also keep all communications until the dust has settled. Caveat Emptor.
Old 12-27-2022, 05:58 PM
Shooting Xs

@ctd
You just listed a Weatherby Youth Pink Camo 7-08 on the Buy and Sell,
likely sell quicker with a price posted in the ad, never mind that it's required for items posted there.
Just saying....
Old 12-27-2022, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
This is why I post copious pics of every conceivable angle, highlighting any areas of wear or damage. Then no one can say anything. I also keep all communications until the dust has settled. Caveat Emptor.
Same or provide lots in texts or emails.
I also save a pic of the ad or my ad.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 12-27-2022, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Couple things.
1> the deal wasn’t closed , no money changed hands so I think the positive or negative review is not in the equation.

2> special delivering an item without at least a deposit is not a good business plan.

I speak from experience. Left a neg feedback for a deal that did not go through and was thoroughly roasted by members as well as it was reversed

Take this as a learning experience and move on.
There however is the option to leave neutral feedback. Shouldn't we be allowed to leave a neutral rating that states the person did not show or tried to lowball the seller? It would become quite apparent that a particular person is not trust worthy even though no transaction actually took place.

Unfortunately stuff like this happens too often. I have had at least 3 deals were people try to negotiate a lower price despite prior agreement . I've honestly lost track of how many times people have no showed on me without any notice. Those people are now on my ignore list.

I too got scolded because no transaction took place. However I did loose my time and cost of gas money.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-27-2022, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
@ctd
likely sell quicker with a price posted in the ad, never mind that it's required for items posted there.
Just saying....
He has another rifle up too. No pictures.
Old 12-27-2022, 06:14 PM

I would never drive a long distance to "try" and sell an item. Come to me and we'll talk or bicker. Then there's no loss really if the item doesn't sell. Otherwise you're setting yourself up for failure. Also, be firm on your advertised price by saying "price is firm".

I hope you make a sale with someone else that's closer to you.
Old 12-27-2022, 06:14 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Another life lesson, experience, etc
Not all are favourable but you learn from them.
Hopefully a deal will go through for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-27-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
@ctd
Just saying....
Sorry just posted price.
Old 12-27-2022, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Another life lesson, experience, etc
Not all are favourable but you learn from them.
Hopefully a deal will go through for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The rifles can sit in the safe until jt and his buddies come for them.
I try to take people at their face value, I like to take a person for their word. Obviously I trust people a bit more then I should.
Old 12-27-2022, 06:45 PM

Quote:
He has another rifle up too. No pictures.

If you want I can send you pictures and or video of both rifles if your interested in either one.
Old 12-27-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
THIS I AGREE WITH

If and when I sell anything I am crystal clear on the condition of what I'm selling, will take lots of photos, and make sure to include clear pictures of any damage (like scratches, dings, bluing, etc...) so that the buyer has a complete, comprehensive and clear understanding of what he/she is buying BEFORE we go further and talk price.

Sooooooooooooo many excuses can be made if you don't do this and you can end up with a low ball offer after you spent your time/gas delivering OR someone gives you a bad rating, etc...

And, there are, people EXACTLY as the OP described - people without class and ethics who pull crap like that.

I will NEVER deliver anything to ANYONE that's more than say 30 minutes from me. If I did, they would be required to give me a non refundable deposit period.

When I buy something sight unseen, I will always make it a point to pay exactly what we agreed to unless there is something major sketchy going on with it (like damage or working order not disclosed by buyer).

Luckily I have never had to withdraw an offer to purchase anything that I've agreed to purchase that was as described from this site.

There are so many scammers out there - a few months ago this happened to me on a set of "like new" winter tires (kijiji) that I drove over to the guys house (garage) and he had his wife show them to me. The tires were worn down to 10%-20% of tread (and yes, I had a tread wear gauge with me) and were clearly bald and badly worn. She called him (he was literally in the kitchen and I could see him talking to her watching me out the window).

I made sure (and asked him twice) if these were like new to make sure in the conversation before I came over.

It was a sketchy scam - the guy had a garage full of bald tires and dozens of ads. and knew what he was doing for people who didn't know how to figure out how much wear is left on a tire. He was also a chicken sht and stayed inside and had his poor wife deal with his scams.

When I got back home, looked at the picture, and it wasn't even the same tires.

Crook.

Man I was more upset that the coward sent his wife out .... what a clown.

Last edited by EZM; 12-27-2022 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-27-2022, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
Maybe there is more to this story.
The guys user name is "hf1914" surprisingly I am now blocked from his profile.

There is more to the story, he also made a comment that there was no ammo for the 7mm. That makes a difference in him buying the gun. When I clearly stated I did not have ammo for the gun in discussions prior. Offered to throw in a set of reloading dies if he wanted them.

He also wanted to buy a shotgun of mine. I told him the shot gun had scratches on the stock and came with a second barrel. I told him the price and he seemed happy with it but did not commit to buying at the time. He asked for me to bring it. I also was going to provided a couple boxes of ammo for the shotgun.

During our discussions he mentioned that the Weatherby was much cheaper online. He was refereeing to the 243 and 223 models which are much cheaper then the larger calibers.

I agree with what a few others have said. He tried to do the "seller is desperate" to drive all this way so I will low ball him gig. He kept talking about paying in cash to which I laughed.

Personally I had the day off, and went for a drive to Edmonton to make the transaction easier. The guy seemed genuinely interested in the rifles.
Shame on me for trusting a person on their word. From a few comments here I wont be trusting anyone else unless they figure out a way to prove themselves. (Not really sure how that works) I am sure some good advice how to do that will be given.
Old 12-27-2022, 07:35 PM

That sucks.

I have been burnt in the past. I never 100% trust anyone unless they have paid already or I have a history of dealing with them.

I have had a few backout of a deal, which hurts after you turn someone else down in the mean time.

Ratings help, but I have still had some with high ratings that figured I was desperate and treat you as such, like they are doing you a huge favor by lowballing you. Simple just ignore them.
Old 12-27-2022, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Your iTrader profile is attached to your user profile, it's a good feature to learn to use. Not all buyers or sellers use it, but those that do are helping others out, esp when it comes to shifty bargainers or outright frauds.

Here is your profile, find the other user's profile & let 'er rip: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/itrader.php?u=1488
Exactly this give the heads up so no one else gets screwed over by this clown once you agree on the terms you follow through, period.
Old 12-27-2022, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
If one doesn't have buyer or seller feed back, how does that lend or take away credibility?
Not dealing with someone who has zero ratings seems sort of snobbish to me. How would a guy get ratings if they cant make a sale or buy from someone. Doesn't make any sense but each their own.

For some reason I cant add a rating to his username.
It's easy to get a rating. Just do a fair deal and ask the person to rate you. I will only deal with rated members. The rating system is the second best feature on this forum.
Old 12-27-2022, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
I made a deal with a fellow member here for them to buy a rifle off me, and possibly buy a second one also.
I confirmed the night before that he was still interested in the one rifle and possibly the second. He understood I was coming from Red Deer. He said yes very much still interested.

I Get there and he tries to negotiate with me a much lower price. I held firm. Then he tried to entice me with "don't you like cash" I said I don't need cash I have enough already. That we already agreed on a price and now you are trying to change it.

He then tried to get a package deal going. I said not interested. I explained that we had an agreement to meet up this morning for the price as agreed. He was sent pictures and videos of both rifles. He fully agreed on the one rifle and wanted to look at the second before committing. He gave me the expectation that he was confirmed on the price.
This is when I packed the guns up and told him I wasn't wasting any more time as I drove two hours for nothing, now I was heading off, for him to have a good day.

He said again why don't you like cash. I told him I would sell him the rifle without the scope for a reduced price. He asked what good is the gun with out the scope. I laughed and said what good was driving 2hrs based on a firm promise to sell for a price, then have a person try to low ball you.

I got into my truck and drove away.
My buddy that was with me was laughing saying did that guy really just try to low ball you that bad after agreeing to a price already. I said yup.

Seller beware.
There is nothing to learn here as you can’t tell how a fella is going to be until you meet them. There’s risk in life that can’t always be avoided unless you outright don’t meet at all. If there were red flags during your comms before hand, that’s a different story. Otherwise, not much to learn here but ok anyway…
Old 12-27-2022, 08:18 PM

The user in question also only has 1 post ever.
That's a red flag to me as well for buying or selling to them
Old 12-27-2022, 08:27 PM

Gotta love the guys that say “paying cash “so what do they think you’re gonna make the purchase with, sacks of potatoes or rice?

I was looking for a set of 20 inch GM chrome rims three or four years ago and found a set of 4 on Kijiji in Red Deer, I was passing thru at the time.
I met the fellows wife at a location just off the highway. Upon upon closer inspection, not shown in the photos, they had pitting started so I was thinking to offer either a lower price or to walk away, and either of those options I would have felt bad for the seller, but I kinda got taken.

In the end I hesitantly bought the rims at full asking price and never used them,
My tire guy said not only pitting but some flaking in the bead area and likely would have slow leaks.
So did I resell them?, they sat in my garage till earlier this year when I took them to the metal recycling bin.

So I guess you can say it works both ways.
Live and learn.

TBark
Old 12-27-2022, 08:35 PM

Happened to my dad a few years back but not as bad as your situation as he met the guy halfway...about a 15 minute drive.

Buddy suddenly got the urge to low ball my dad on the agreed upon price...dad said NO,buddy said NO,...then dad said go eat a dick and he drove back home.
Old 12-27-2022, 11:03 PM

Looks like we have covered this pretty well
Closed Thread