Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-11-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Well every situation is different for sure, the bear I killed, was about 12" away while I was in a tree stand. 12" goes way beyond bluffing, and I have seen a few bluff charges in my day, where I did not shoot.

I say anything thing closer then 50 Ft. based on my experiences is way too close for my liking. For the record, I have killed several bears with bows and I stopped killing bears years ago because I found it relatively easy, plus I do not eat bear meat and do not want to kill anything I do not eat.
Bluff charge can be extremely close. If I killed every bear that got within 50 feet there would be a huge pile of bodies.

If this was well baiting then there is something many forget bears will defend a food cash. They are also very curios.

You are far from the first and will not be the last to have a bear get that close in a tree stand. Some don't even shoot that bear and leave unharmed.

I was not there to see how the bear was acting so I cannot say if this bear was truly aggressive or not.

I could sit here pass stories back and forth but it will amount to nothing. You will stand on your opinion I will stick with mine.

Those who choose to carry a shotgun keep it legally and only use it if you must just being close is not a good reason. If you wound a bear you just created a problem for everyone else around.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
Bluff charge can be extremely close. If I killed every bear that got within 50 feet there would be a huge pile of bodies.

If this was well baiting then there is something many forget bears will defend a food cash. They are also very curios.

You are far from the first and will not be the last to have a bear get that close in a tree stand. Some don't even shoot that bear and leave unharmed.

I was not there to see how the bear was acting so I cannot say if this bear was truly aggressive or not.

I could sit here pass stories back and forth but it will amount to nothing. You will stand on your opinion I will stick with mine.

Those who choose to carry a shotgun keep it legally and only use it if you must just being close is not a good reason. If you wound a bear you just created a problem for everyone else around.
Of course you can't, so trust me it was aggressive, even more than my x wife in divorce court! lol

In the end we are all entitled to our opinions, I respect yours.

Just so you know I love bears and will never kill another, unless it's absolutely necessary.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:07 PM

I carry a maverick 88 short barrel pistle grip 12 gauge. In a backpack case. If you decide to get a gun that's your best bet for a low budget. $230 but saying that. I think you just want spray by the sounds of it
Old 03-11-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Of course you can't, so trust me it was aggressive, even more than my x wife in divorce court! lol

In the end we are all entitled to our opinions, I respect yours.

Just so you know I love bears and will never kill another, unless it's absolutely necessary.
I think my biggest reason I don't encourage a shotgun is from the idiots who have caused myself and others to track bears they wounded.

Like I said not dead against carrying a shotgun just don't see a need to. Someone who uses it only if they must I have no issue with it is the guys who freak and shoot because a bear looked at them.

Myself I will kill 1 or 2 bears a year but that is because I eat them
Old 03-11-2015, 01:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
I think my biggest reason I don't encourage a shotgun is from the idiots who have caused myself and others to track bears they wounded.

Like I said not dead against carrying a shotgun just don't see a need to. Someone who uses it only if they must I have no issue with it is the guys who freak and shoot because a bear looked at them.

Myself I will kill 1 or 2 bears a year but that is because I eat them
Lot's of Don Knotts in the woods, I would not be one of them.

I am a predator, and animal no different from a bear.

Last edited by edmhunter; 03-11-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerchBuster View Post
My advice as well would be to always make some noise as you hike through the bush or remote areas. Wear a set of loud bells on your backpack. Carry a small marine horn and let her rip a couple times along the trail. They'll hear you coming long before you ever get a chance to have a face to face encounter and will clear off. The horn will scare the bejeebers out of a lot of them especially if forced to use up close and personal. Always carry bear spray and by the sounds of it you may want to get a lucky rabbits foot to take along too.

One year we were sitting out on the front deck and two grizzly bears were headed for my camper that we had just unloaded the day before. Living on property we could see them coming from a ways off, so I got the 338 out and when it looked like they were intent on tearing my camper apart I put a shot into the ground just in front of the lead bear [from the side]. I was only about 50 yards away and the grizzly seemed interested in the little duff in the ground but the sound of the gun going off didn't even faze them. I let of a couple more with the same effect. They eventually wandered off in another direction, but I don't think my shooting had anything at all to do with them leaving.

I'm not sure your theory of making noise is going to scare bears off......

Another time I was shotgunning ducks on Vancouver Island and saw a big black coming my way when he was a few hundred yards away. I was just banging away with that old browning shotgun and when I looked over my shoulder about a half hour later there was this massive black bear checking me out from about 30 feet.

I am trying to say wearing some little bells probably isn't going to scare a bear off.....

Personally, bear spray is pepper....and pepper is a condiment...when I'm face to face with a bear the firearm is my choice every time. I'd rather kill the bear dead than spice him up. IMHO
Old 03-11-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
use search function this comes up a lot and the statistics are readily available showing 98% of people using bear spray escape an encounter unharmed but using a firearm accounts for 50 death or injury from wounded bear.
I'll take my chances with my rifle.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 03-11-2015, 10:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post

One year we were sitting out on the front deck and two grizzly bears were headed for my camper that we had just unloaded the day before. Living on property we could see them coming from a ways off, so I got the 338 out and when it looked like they were intent on tearing my camper apart I put a shot into the ground just in front of the lead bear [from the side]. I was only about 50 yards away and the grizzly seemed interested in the little duff in the ground but the sound of the gun going off didn't even faze them. I let of a couple more with the same effect. They eventually wandered off in another direction, but I don't think my shooting had anything at all to do with them leaving.

I'm not sure your theory of making noise is going to scare bears off......

Another time I was shotgunning ducks on Vancouver Island and saw a big black coming my way when he was a few hundred yards away. I was just banging away with that old browning shotgun and when I looked over my shoulder about a half hour later there was this massive black bear checking me out from about 30 feet.

I am trying to say wearing some little bells probably isn't going to scare a bear off.....

Personally, bear spray is pepper....and pepper is a condiment...when I'm face to face with a bear the firearm is my choice every time. I'd rather kill the bear dead than spice him up. IMHO
I'm with you man, ALL DAY LONG!
Old 03-11-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzzzz View Post
Bear spray can be used on any agressive animal. Period.

It is the most effective deterrent out there!! Just don't forget to pack it, and keep it accessible.
Yup i have used it on coyotes/coydogs.
When i go camping/fishing or whatever with no intention of hunting. I do not bring my bow, so i dont see the need for bringing a gun if you arent hunting.
Number 1 thing with bear spray as oz said is how accesible it is.

As for the bear bell, i dont usually have one on me. I do however have one on my dogs collar.
More or less to keep track of him when in thick bush if he isnt on leash.
Lets face it, he is prey or competition to our predators, i doubt a little bell is going to deter them from trying to kill him. I have no reason to believe it will do the same for me.

Last edited by Hydro1; 03-11-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:03 AM

I carry both! Had to out swim a grizzly twice in one day! Better to be tried by 12 then carried by 6!
Old 03-12-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Care to elaborate on all your near death experiences? I find these story's facinating.
Sure Moose. Let's see here, what happened to me since I started fishing late 2013...tons of hooks in my clothes and body but that's not life threatening...just sucky and temporarily painful.
My closest call was probably in my dad's jet boat on the NSR. My friend and I were out, and decided to take a break and gold pan. He put his expensive camera on the top of the hull exposed (despite having a monster waterproof case right beside it) and then went to gold pan. After a bit he asked me to bring the boat to him. The water there was really shallow and I didn't want to start the engine, so decided to just walk the boat to him. It was right beside a small waterfall/riffle section that branched off, and I quickly succombed to the always-surprising strength of the water. I would have made it into the boat without any issues, but my yelled "My camera, my camera!". Before saving myself I reached for the camera first to try and protect it, and boy did I pay the price. I was half on the boat holding the camera, then "THUMP!!!" The boat hit a huge rock and I fell out of the boat. Because I was holding on to the camera and boat (and not fully in it) I ended up flipping upside down and my shoulder hit a huge rock shelf. I was pretty shaken up and had a cut/bruise the size of my whole shoulder, but ended up ok. If however I would've hit my head instead of shoulder, I would probably be dead. Scary stuff!
What else...at Wabamun I tried to be a hero and drive to the far reaches of the lake, and ended up falling through the top layer. Thank God there was a strong bottom layer! When the front end of my truck started going down I thought I was a goner! It was weird last year with the 2 layers...but luckily escaped unscathed (except for when I was being towed out I accidentally ran over my brother's tipup).
Walking a stream in the bush I did run into a black bear. Luckily it was on the other side. My brother shot off a bear banger and it didn't seem to deter it much, but it did walk away.
What else...oh yeah, waders almost killed me a few times. I love them, but definitely should invest in a wader belt (if that stops water from coming in). I found myself a few times wading in water just cm's from going over them, which I heard can be quite disastrous! The Blackstone was one of them, so the water I doubt would show me any mercy...lol. Another was in Prairie Creek, and the only reason I needed to go in the one deep spot was to get my lure back...I hate losing them...lol. But is the lure worth my life? No, so hopefully I've learned my lesson.
I'm sure there's more, but you get the picture. Wilderness newbie learning his lessons, or at least going through experiences. I don't let nature dictate what I do, but I slowly come to respect it more and more...
Old 03-12-2015, 02:08 PM

Thanks all for the great advice and stories. I was thinking I would just a shotgun model # and price...had no idea all the different opinions out there on this subject. Will have to give it some more thought...
Old 03-12-2015, 02:15 PM
Banned

I use a Mossberg 88 3" Maverick with an 18" barrel with a synthetic stock, bought it for $150.00 used. Already posted the picture (#22). Deadly and lots of shocking power, when and if you ever need it!

You can use 3" magnum slugs, SSG or buckshot with it
Old 03-12-2015, 06:55 PM

I have a question, luckily I have never encountered a bear, never saw a bear charge before (always would be people warning me). If the bear charges at you and you decide to spray it will it immediately stop? From what I can tell is that if you shoot a charging bear, one shot and he's dead as a door nail. I personally like the back country and I would like to return home alive
Old 03-12-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
I have a question, luckily I have never encountered a bear, never saw a bear charge before (always would be people warning me). If the bear charges at you and you decide to spray it will it immediately stop? From what I can tell is that if you shoot a charging bear, one shot and he's dead as a door nail. I personally like the back country and I would like to return home alive
Charging bear hit with bears spray or shotgun is not 100% going to stop him in his tracks But both can stop the bear as well

Better off not to get charged to start with