Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2023, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
So a burn-out and and marks on the asphalt is vandalism and makes one a criminal? I hope you have never locked up tires in a skid during an emergency before. If so I assume you will be confessing to your crimes. Ridiculous.
I see. Looking it up someone purposely went out of their way to intentionally damage something.

So many condoning this is a sad statement on some people.

Apparently someone hates Rainbow sidewalks so much it makes them damage it. Yes. There does appear to be some hate there. Someone seriously needs counseling and hopefully gets some.

If you somehow… see those marks and thinks it’s accidental.

Maybe you didn’t see the photos.

What else does this person do against the community? Beat guys up? Throw rocks at their homes? What else can people think of that they see as minor but sends a strong message to certain people.

Conservatives should be about small government. Inclusiveness for everyone. Government staying out of peoples bedrooms.

Some twist the narrative to their personal opinions. If someone doesn’t harm you… relax and chill. Don’t damage stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
If Lethbridge decided to spend tax dollars painting sidewalks a color or memorial to celebrate traditional family values what do you think would happen and yes I agree with you its terrible the way they vandalized statue's of famous white Christian forefathers.
I dont remember RCMP getting upset about it and calling it a hate crime. Glad you remember and see how unfair it is.
Anyone throwing paint on statues should be charged with property damage. It’s abhorrent what people are doing on many sides. If someone throws paint on a statue people the individual was white and they said that… it would be a hate crime. If they did it because they say they supported actions that killed or harmed someone… one can’t say it’s racist. It’s not hard to follow the path.

In this instance… someone intentionally damaged the rainbow crosswalk because it represents LGBTQ… it was done because they hate the interplay of light on water droplets in the sky.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 07-26-2023 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-26-2023, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Vandalism is vandalism; you don't get to decide which vandalism is OK to ignore. Otherwise, that makes you as much of a hypocrite as the well-meaning progressives.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/cri...ride-crosswalk

https://globalnews.ca/news/9855964/l...sm-hate-crime/
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Apparently it's only vandalism if you care about what is being vandalized. If it was done on a painting of a wounded veteran in a wheelchair on a Canadian Flag motif I think the response would be different.

Just acknowledging the hypocrisy... Doesn't change it though.

Thanks for standing up for what’s rights and common sense.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-26-2023, 03:53 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Do you deem it a hate crime or stunting?

And not a gotcha. Just trying to see how it could rise to the level of a hate crime. Forgive me in advance. I don’t see it, no matter how much I try.

Offensive does not = a hate crime

If my kid were gay, I may find that offensive, but hate crime?

Maybe, but I cant see it.
If you want to get technical, if the motivation was a hate for gay people then it is a crime based on hate, so the answer is yes.

Now in reality, it is more like a prejudiced misdemeanour... If they punch a guy out because he was gay, then hate crime all day long. Burn out on a pride flag is more a demonstration of a goof being a goof.

Personally I don't think being a goof is a crime. It is just idiots idioting.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 07-26-2023, 04:06 PM

Quote:
If you want to get technical, if the motivation was a hate for gay people then it is a crime based on hate, so the answer is yes.

Now in reality, it is more like a prejudiced misdemeanour... If they punch a guy out because he was gay, then hate crime all day long. Burn out on a pride flag is more a demonstration of a goof being a goof.

The person may not hate anyone, they may just think that the rainbow paint is a stupid waste of taxpayer dollars, and the burnout is their way of protesting. Although I don't ruin tires doing burnouts, I believe that the rainbow paint scheme is a stupid waste of tax[payer money.
Old 07-26-2023, 04:13 PM

Quote:

I suspect that’s what would come of it… a fine or some such. However they would likely want to know who it was because maybe they’ve targeted other places before.

A one off… misdemeanour stupidity slap on the wrist to make them smarten up.

If this is a pattern of behaviour… the consequences would be elevated.

Police investigating is the right path. I doubt they have a hundred people with a super computer on it.
Old 07-26-2023, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The person may not hate anyone, they may just think that the rainbow paint is a stupid waste of taxpayer dollars, and the burnout is their way of protesting. Although I don't ruin tires doing burnouts, I believe that the rainbow paint scheme is a stupid waste of tax[payer money.
That’s like saying parking a semi in front of my home and honking all night is a stupid way to protest so why can’t I torch the truck?

There isn’t much of a fine line once the line get completely erased because of personal biases.
Old 07-26-2023, 04:27 PM

Whether it is a hate crime or not is beside the point. Anyone who does burnouts on a pride crosswalk is the literal definition of a scumbag loser and they should be dealt with accordingly. Their parents should be notified and ostracised for raising such a garbage human. Then make the offender paint the crosswalk the exact same way it was in full public view. People are the worst. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
That’s like saying parking a semi in front of my home and honking all night is a stupid way to protest so why can’t I torch the truck?

There isn’t much of a fine line once the line get completely erased because of personal biases.
The black lines of rubber, are no worse than graffiti, or painting statues or monuments, yet how often do the authorities investigate graffiti, or painting statues or monuments as hate crimes? Classing the rubber as a hate crime, is nothing less than virtue signaling.

Quote:
I see. Looking it up someone purposely went out of their way to intentionally damage something.

So many condoning this is a sad statement on some people.

Apparently someone hates Rainbow sidewalks so much it makes them damage it. Yes. There does appear to be some hate there. Someone seriously needs counseling and hopefully gets some.

If you somehow… see those marks and thinks it’s accidental.

Maybe you didn’t see the photos.

What else does this person do against the community? Beat guys up? Throw rocks at their homes? What else can people think of that they see as minor but sends a strong message to certain people.

Conservatives should be about small government. Inclusiveness for everyone. Government staying out of peoples bedrooms.

Some twist the narrative to their personal opinions. If someone doesn’t harm you… relax and chill. Don’t damage
OK to start. Everything you say about conservatism is absolutely wrong. Not one thing you mention is a conservative value.

So if this guy walks around the community beating people up, would there be a law against that already? Also, what does that have to do about this? Do you have to reach to the extreme to create a terrorist in yout head to justify your nonsense.

You truly are tiresome.

I don’t care about the marks. If its in a rainbow crosswalk or standard crosswalk its the same thing. Even if its somebody skidding to a stop. To paint on a road and be upset about tire marks is the absolute depth of stupidity. It is actually creating ways for people to “hate”.

Last edited by HyperMOA; 07-26-2023 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-26-2023, 04:28 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
I don't disagree... That said, we have to deal and see a ton of taxpayer money wasted on paint, art, sculpture, political commentary etc every day. Vandalism is vandalism whether we find the message relatable or not. We either accept it is wrong or open up that it is okay for all. Picking and choosing the subject matter that allows it not to be a crime versus being a crime is the bigger issue as I see it.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 07-26-2023, 04:30 PM

Quote:
The black lines of rubber, are no worse than graffiti, or painting statues or monuments, yet how often do the authorities investigate graffiti, or painting statues or monuments as hate crimes? Classing the rubber as a hate crime, is nothing less than virtue signaling.
I agree with you in principle, but as a teenager none of my buddies defaced any property. The police did give us stunting tickets though for doing burn-outs.
Old 07-26-2023, 04:31 PM

Quote:

I am now dumber for having read this.
Old 07-26-2023, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree... That said, we have to deal and see a ton of taxpayer money wasted on paint, art, sculpture, political commentary etc every day. Vandalism is vandalism whether we find the message relatable or not. We either accept it is wrong or open up that it is okay for all. Picking and choosing the subject matter that allows it not to be a crime versus being a crime is the bigger issue as I see it.
Exactly my point, how often is graffiti or damaging/painting statues or monuments treated as a hate crime? The suspects are typically charged with mischief if they are charged at all. The police have been seen in videos, standing by and watching it happen, with no charges against the people doing the damage. To single this incident out as a hate crime, is simply virtue signaling.
Old 07-26-2023, 04:37 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Exactly my point, how often is graffiti or damaging/painting statues or monuments treated as a hate crime? The suspects are typically charged with mischief if they are charged at all. The police have been seen in videos, standing by and watching it happen, with no charges against the people doing the damage. To single this incident out as a hate crime, is simply virtue signaling.
Virtue signalling 101 for sure, but that still does not mean it is not legitimate. It just means they expend more effort than they would in something that doesn't make them look good.

I think we can all agree it is absolutely dumb, but unfortunately we are around a lot of dumb these days.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 07-26-2023, 04:40 PM

Quote:
I agree with you in principle, but as a teenager none of my buddies defaced any property. The police did give us stunting tickets though for doing burn-outs.
We didn't deface property either, but if you watched some of the past protests on the news, you would see police officers standing by and watching protesters damage statues and monuments, and nobody was arrested or charged for their actions. It seems that the police/prosecutors pick and choose when to lay charges, and there is no consistency.
Old 07-26-2023, 04:45 PM

Quote:
We didn't deface property either, but if you watched some of the past protests on the news, you would see police officers standing by and watching protesters damage statues and monuments, and nobody was arrested or charged for their actions. It seems that the police/prosecutors pick and choose when to lay charges, and there is no consistency.
Yes, but had we defaced a statue as kids we would have been arrested. The police wouldn’t have allowed it when I was a kid. When we got got caught doing burnouts we were never charged with vandalism. If it was outside a church, mosque, or whatever, it wouldn’t have been a hate crime either. It would have been a stupid kid wasting money on tires and stunting tickets.
Old 07-26-2023, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Yes, but had we defaced a statue as kids we would have been arrested. The police wouldn’t have allowed it when I was a kid. When we got got caught doing burnouts we were never charged with vandalism. If it was outside a church, mosque, or whatever, it wouldn’t have been a hate crime either. It would have been a stupid kid wasting money on tires and stunting tickets.
Exactly, but that was before the woke people just looking for an excuse to be offended.
Old 07-26-2023, 04:52 PM

Quote:

Isn’t most crime technically hate crime? Generally people don’t punch you out of love or steal your car out of affection for you.
Old 07-26-2023, 05:07 PM

Pride and Pride flag were counterpoints to the shame brought to LG community. Now, about 30 years later where the same sex marriage is legal and no one gives a shat, is less about acceptance and more about demanding to celebrate smth they pretend are born with.
Politicians see potential voters and here you have it…. special treatment and flags everywhere as they pretend to care.
And when someone does not agree, police must investigate… because you know, racism... homophobia… white supremacy…. brownshirt behavior, should not be tolerated
Old 07-26-2023, 05:11 PM

I think everyone is reading way too much into this. Probably just some kid thought it was a nice smooth surface to roast the tires on.
Old 07-26-2023, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post
Whether it is a hate crime or not is beside the point. Anyone who does burnouts on a pride crosswalk is the literal definition of a scumbag loser and they should be dealt with accordingly. Their parents should be notified and ostracised for raising such a garbage human. Then make the offender paint the crosswalk the exact same way it was in full public view. People are the worst. Period.
What a load of……

Painting a rainbow sidewalk is making a statement. A burnout on the same sidewalk is also making a statement. Neither one physically hurt anyone. Both are just some markings on pavement. Both are offensive to the eye, depending where your opinions fall.
How is one validated and “celebrated” (by some people), and the other is considered a hate crime (by the same people)?
Old 07-26-2023, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
What a load of……

Painting a rainbow sidewalk is making a statement. A burnout on the same sidewalk is also making a statement. Neither one physically hurt anyone. Both are just some markings on pavement. Both are offensive to the eye, depending where your opinions fall.
How is one validated and “celebrated” (by some people), and the other is considered a hate crime (by the same people)?
Exactly.
Old 07-26-2023, 05:30 PM

Problem in Canada today?

There is no law for just being stupid...I wish there was...
Old 07-26-2023, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post
Scumbag loser
Garbage human
Offender
The worst

I say just some kids having fun
Old 07-26-2023, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
What a load of……

Like I said I don't think it matters either way what you label it. But lets not pretend the loser scumbag who did this did not know what he was doing. Simply put just don't deface symbols, flags, buildings, rocks, flags, or anything that could be important to to a group of people. It is not that hard and should be common sense. But apparently not. People just need to be better.
Old 07-26-2023, 05:46 PM

Quote:
And that’s my point, the fact that we are discussing a burnout on a rainbow crosswalk as a hate crime is loony tune in my book, but I deal with stupid teenagers for a living.

Stupid.
Ignorant
Crass

All of the above would hold true.

But hate crime?

I guess I grew up when hate crimes were reserved for holocaust deniers who actively propagated their BS like Jim Keegstra, burning of churches, and intentional violence against identifiable groups, particularly minorities.

That ain’t out of a dictionary, just off the top of my head.
Old 07-26-2023, 05:48 PM

Pretty sure if someone left a Rolex on the road, someone would drive over it

Paint "happy birthday Jesus or happy birthday Mohammed" on the road and see what happens....

Id say its a freedom statement. One is a rainbow saying "support us" and another is burnt rubber saying "no"

Jump ball
Old 07-26-2023, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Pretty sure if someone left a Rolex on the road, someone would drive over it

Paint "happy birthday Jesus or happy birthday Mohammed" on the road and see what happens....

Id say its a freedom statement. One is a rainbow saying "support us" and another is burnt rubber saying "no"

Jump ball
Wait a minute. Are you saying that Merry Christmas (aka happy birthday Jesus) is a hate crime!!!!
Old 07-26-2023, 05:59 PM

Quote:
However you jump the gun. They are investigating as a potential hate crime. They have not as yet deemed it a hate motivated crime based upon the news report.

They don’t know why the vandal did what. They did. Hence they are investigating which they should for any crime. The level of effort they are putting into it is not in our information provided.
Old 07-26-2023, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Wait a minute. Are you saying that Merry Christmas (aka happy birthday Jesus) is a hate crime!!!!
Yup. Just depends on which guy you follow.

A vote for Jesus is a vote against Mohammed. And vice versa....lol