Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new LT View Post
last time I took antibiotics I was 14 I'm 56 now i'll stick to my way thanks.
i don't take cold meds or flu shots cant remember last time had cold or flu.
I nearly lost my arm several years ago due to an infection after a car accident. If nothing else the antibiotics saved my arm. If not my life. You've just been lucky.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 05-30-2013, 09:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
I nearly lost my arm several years ago due to an infection after a car accident. If nothing else the antibiotics saved my arm. If not my life. You've just been lucky.
But it is posable if you arm was looked after properly there would have been no infection and no need for the antibiotics. Not sure of your situation so just a possibility.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Well gentlemen you've answered my question, and I appreciate your help,and in future will do as I'm told by the physician . I must point out that the reason for my question was based on a tv show aired by a supposedly great doctor . He stated that the way physicians are prescribing antibiotics can be dangerous ,because it breaks down you body defenses ,and using beyond what's necessary, to controll is also very detrimental to your well being in the long run
I'm sure the cases this doctor was discussing has to do with those that demand antibiotics for every sniffle, cold or flu they pick up. As was mentioned in this thread already, too many people want antibiotics to treat a cold or other virus that is actually untreatable by antibiotics. Even worse, they demand it for their children and kids end up more unhealthy because of this. If you've been prescribed the meds for a valid infection, then yes, you need to finish them.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new LT View Post
But it is posable if you arm was looked after properly there would have been no infection and no need for the antibiotics. Not sure of your situation so just a possibility.
Of course. Some moronic Didsbury doctor (now gone) left a couple hunks of dusty glass embedded in there next to the bone. But there will always be moronic doctors and antibiotics are the fail safe against their potential mistakes.

Not an antibiotic junkie either though. Was taking apart some Dungeness crabs one day and a sliver of shell embedded itself underneath my thumbnail almost to the quick. Waited a couple of days, working at it bit by bit and then the fever and chills set in from infection.

Now my next acts were not based on a desire to not use antibiotics but on the premise that the waiting room of a hospital is the seventh circle of Hell. So I grabbed a quart of whiskey and a pair of sterilized dissecting scissors and downed about half the bottle. When the extremities started getting numb I shoved the pointy end of the scissors under my nail and cut to the back and then peeled it over and extracted the shell -- the rush of puss and blood really felt good. Stuck the thumb in the whiskey for a bit and went to bed. By the next evening I was fine.

Deep infections need antibiotics though and a prolonged case of strept needs it too.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 05-31-2013, 12:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
Of course. Some moronic Didsbury doctor (now gone) left a couple hunks of dusty glass embedded in there next to the bone. But there will always be moronic doctors and antibiotics are the fail safe against their potential mistakes.

Not an antibiotic junkie either though. Was taking apart some Dungeness crabs one day and a sliver of shell embedded itself underneath my thumbnail almost to the quick. Waited a couple of days, working at it bit by bit and then the fever and chills set in from infection.

Now my next acts were not based on a desire to not use antibiotics but on the premise that the waiting room of a hospital is the seventh circle of Hell. So I grabbed a quart of whiskey and a pair of sterilized dissecting scissors and downed about half the bottle. When the extremities started getting numb I shoved the pointy end of the scissors under my nail and cut to the back and then peeled it over and extracted the shell -- the rush of puss and blood really felt good. Stuck the thumb in the whiskey for a bit and went to bed. By the next evening I was fine.

Deep infections need antibiotics though and a prolonged case of strept needs it too.

I do believe there is a time for dotors and antibiotics. The idea is to never let it get that far, l had a situation similar to what you posted only it was a hardwood sliver that broke off under my thumb nail. I could not get it out, so I made a bread poultise it drew the sliver out it can also be used to draw infection out. I have a lot of home remedies that I have used over the years,along with diffrent natural medicines. I've. had to have a couple of surgerys but recovery time is greatly reduced and no post infections..........