Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-17-2014, 06:30 AM

How come every discussion turns into an argument?
Old 01-17-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
How come every discussion turns into an argument?
Isn't an argument just a discussion with a bit of extra drama? Got to learn to laugh it off, esp on the eitherweb, a face to face discussion would surely be different, more polite i'm sure, with many head shakes, expressions of astonishment, hands thrown up it the air and the odd yell of disbelief. On The interweb, you get HARD TYPING, spilled coffee and "was that directed at me?" written words rarely express the correct emotion.......Thats why we have emoticons:sn apoutofit:
As they say, boys will be boys lol

BTW I did learn something new reading this post, thanks for the info folks.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo View Post
WHAT???

Hilarious.....:-)

Hey, I think I'll use my 280AI dies to neck size my 280 cases.....I do have 280 dies though.

You're right, but , the 7mag FL die will work as well.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:10 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
And this is the crux of the matter. Being cheap is expensive. I know because I've been a victim. That said sometimes ignorance truly is bliss.
If ignorance is bliss why isn't this forum happy?
Old 01-17-2014, 09:22 AM

Default Same for a 6.5 from 270 win

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
I picked up a 280 Remington and noticed I don't have a 280 neck sizing die.
So, I put the shellholder in the press for the 280 and threaded the 7mm mag full length die in, I then ran the 280 brass into the 7 mag die and voila, neck sized 280 brass.
I didn't need to lube the cases as the 280 is quite a bit smaller in diameter and didn't touch the inside of the 7mag die, it did the same thing as a 280 neck die would do.
I have never done that before with 280 brass, it works.
I tried the same thing using 6.5 X 55 dies to neck up or down 270 win and 25-06 brass to my 6.5-06, works awesome. I just extend the deprimer pin now for fired rounds and get near perfect neck sizing.
It worked for some 30-06 brass too but was a bit less concentric. The other two are only going up or down about .010". I checked the concentricity with my lathe.
Only have to trim the 270 brass a bit. Great idea
Old 01-17-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgesmith View Post
I tried the same thing using 6.5 X 55 dies to neck up or down 270 win and 25-06 brass to my 6.5-06, works awesome. I just extend the deprimer pin now for fired rounds and get near perfect neck sizing.
It worked for some 30-06 brass too but was a bit less concentric. The other two are only going up or down about .010". I checked the concentricity with my lathe.
Only have to trim the 270 brass a bit. Great idea
This isn't new. Have formed many cartridges using whatever works. How do you get the required three fired cartridges for the die maker, without the dies? You improvise. A die to change neck size, another to move shoulder back, a tapered expander to open necks, etc. Have a 25 cal wildcat with load development just about complete without the dies that have been ordered for it. Another way to look at this, you won't hurt yourself with something that won't chamber. Its a hobby, something done to promote relaxation, enjoy doing it to your standards.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:21 AM

When we were messing wit the wildcat 6.5's many years ago, Oldbadger and cut some dies off right at the base of the neck, that way when using a big fat, short case like the WSM ad WSSM cases, we could size the neck to 6.5 easily, otherwise we could not get , say, a 264Win Mag dies down far enough to size the neck of the short cases.

I have several dies in different calibrs cut like that.
Cat
Old 01-17-2014, 11:38 AM

I have been guilty of sizing down case necks using an unsupported neck bushing in an arbor press, or opening up a Wilson neck sizer with a 9/16 drill and spacers under the die body to make it work if the case is too big to fit any other die. Made and fired sample cases for my 35/416 Rigby this way. Both eyes still blink at the same time.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:14 PM

I must have missed something somewhere. I was sure the original poster was talking about neck sizing brass fired in another chamber for a 280 Remington with 7mm Remington dies that are sitting on a shelf next to not one but two sets of 280 Remington die sets.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-17-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeviation View Post
it works better with seasoned brass,,or brass thats bin fired a few times..
i have run into problems ,with annealing it then sizing it .necks are to soft.
better so size it first before annealing ,....
i use the 7wsm die alot the wetherbys have long necks and work great .for doing this kinda stuff.
You might need to reduce your annealing temp. Too hot!
Old 01-17-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Yup
I myself have used different dies when making wildcats or if I get a rifle that have to compromise with as far as loading goes
That is why I suggested he shoot them and compare!
Cst

Hi Cat, I just got back from the range with both 280 FL sized brass and 7mag FL neck sized 280 brass, absolutely no difference in accuracy.
The Remington 700 280 (7mm Express marked) rifle was an absolute easy gun to get to shoot accurately, three shots and I was on the center bullseye, this was after taking the rifle apart and checking the scope out for fogging etc.
I put the scope in the freezer for ten minutes to see if the nitrogen needs recharging, if it needs recharging, there will be tell tale fog on the inside of the lens.
I handloaded some 162 grain Hornady SST's with a stout load of IMR 7828and fired some 140 factory Fusion's, short distance targets at 200 yards were very easy to hit, I was having to much fun and ran out of ammo.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
Hi Cat, I just got back from the range with both 280 FL sized brass and 7mag FL neck sized 280 brass, absolutely no difference in accuracy.
The Remington 700 280 (7mm Express marked) rifle was an absolute easy gun to get to shoot accurately, three shots and I was on the center bullseye, this was after taking the rifle apart and checking the scope out for fogging etc.
I put the scope in the freezer for ten minutes to see if the nitrogen needs recharging, if it needs recharging, there will be tell tale fog on the inside of the lens.
I handloaded some 162 grain Hornady SST's with a stout load of IMR 7828and fired some 140 factory Fusion's, short distance targets at 200 yards were very easy to hit, I was having to much fun and ran out of ammo.
Great! My biggest problem also is the shelf life of my ammo - I tend to shoot until it's gone!!
Cat