Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffy71 View Post
The fella on the radio was explaining that radioactive decay is exponential, (I remember that from somewhere in school), and that spent fuel has relatively low levels or radioactivity, if I remember correctly he said after 100 years, you could hold it in your hand. Probably don't want to eat it, or sleep with it under your bed your whole life, but is it really anywhere as risky as the average joe thinks?

I love the show Chernobyl, still think it is one of the best miniseries I've ever seen, but if that is what people still think about modern reactors, their risks, and the risk of the waste, yeeeesh that industry is starting in a really deep hole.
Some of the decay products have very short half lives and are safe after a relatively short time but plutonium has a half life of 24000 years. Only half the uranium on the planet at is creation has transformed to lead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDUvCLAp0uU

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-02-2022, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Some of the decay products have very short half lives and are safe after a relatively short time but plutonium has a half life of 24000 years. Only half the uranium on the planet at is creation has transformed to lead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDUvCLAp0uU

Grizz
Fascinating stuff, just tried to Wikipedia reactor fuels. It looks like newer technology is looking at recycling reactor plutonium.
I’m sure there will always be some dangerous waste no matter what but if renewables never provide enough energy (do we dam every river, cover every square inch of the planet with solar panels and wind turbines?) and since oil will literally dry up one day, I hope the research continues and hope Canada can be at the forefront like we were at one time.
Old 12-02-2022, 08:41 PM

Is there something wrong with gas, oil, and coal?
Old 12-02-2022, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
No
Old 12-02-2022, 10:59 PM

Electrical Metals are the driving force for the Kivalliq Hydro-Fibre Link, Watay Power, East-West Tie and Waasigan which are all Transmission projects in the east that are in the high hundreds to billion dollar marks to bolster grid power for mining projects that will feed metals to the predominately European EV market.
OPG has many refurbishment projects on the books, both hydro and current nuclear refurb.
HONI also has major refurbishment projects under way, as in some instances, the grid infrastructure and station equipment have reached EOL.

Talks of looking for more hydro development in the works while decommissioning existing coal fired units.

In Alberta, oilsands producers have been discussing SMR for some time.

SaskPower is forecasting large refurbishments while Uranium development continues in the north.

Grids in Canadian provinces have been predominantly engineered to export hydro generated power from the north to southern US markets $$$.

US infrastructure has been slowly refurbished some due to blackouts like in California, again aged infrastructure and equipment and some by necessity from tropical storms or wildfire.
Most Canadian contractors today have focused on the US markets as profit margins are much higher south of the border.

Currently, there are some mining producers developing gold mines in Canada that have turned to self genereration using gas-fired power plants (Wartsila). Their proximity to TC Energy 42" mainline for fuel gas made it viable as the 115kV line that is in proximity to the mine site was at 96% capacity and aged, so no connectivity for the industrial loads.
With current gold price it was deemed feasible as the mine only had a 15 year life of mine proven ore body. Again metals driving industry spending.

Federal and Provincial dollars have been earmarked for additional infrastructure such as roads and rail in the east to support mining.
The majority of planned operations will be extraction operations with the mined ore set to be shipped to Europe for refinement or conversion.
Meaning that after open pit and hard rock mining methods are utilized for extraction, ore is then shipped via trucking or rail to port, loaded on a ship, sailed across the Great Lakes, down the St. Lawrence and across the pond so European Tesla and Mercedes-Benz EV owners can feel good about saving the planet using EV technology.
I am certain the brochures in the showrooms will not showcase the volume of fossil fuels required to extract and ship the metals required for their new whip...

Electricity demand will always surpass available reliable grid connectivity, fossil fuels will be utilized long before nuke as permitting requirements for new nukes will be the barrier.
Old 12-02-2022, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
You mean all the stuff we have plenty of for the foreseeable future, is safe, and is relatively cheap?
No

Other people that want their slice of the pie would disagree though.
Old 12-03-2022, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
When was the main electrical grid built?
What was the average panel size on a house at that time?
20 years ago people were complaining that a/c were causing blackouts.
Electric cars are mostly charged during the night at lowest demand.
No to nuclear power.

We just need some smart people planning the future of Alberta.

The newest national electrical code has an upsizing of all new installations.

Even though Fortis is making massive profits, since it is deregulated, they have been enjoying the money and putting minimal back into upgrading capital infrastructure. Now we all pay.
My thoughts.
Lol the needs of us regular guys are small potatos. The pulp mill I work at has basically been sitting down most of the last week because the cost of power was high enough that we actually lose more money trying to produce pulp than we do not running at all. This has been becoming more and more common, this is just one of many multi week strings where the mill runs less than half the time. Hot days, cold days, days without wind, and often right through the night. Then the price of power drops and we scramble to get the mill going, from sitting down for the last 16 hours the presses plug up and we get fires in the drying stages... about the time the mill is producing pulp power jumps back up and we shut back down again... And this is at a facility that has its own Biogas generation plant to help with power.

Even if we get the grid to where it can handle a horde of Ev's, the cost of power will kill much of our industry.The mill has got a fair bit of money invested in powerfull software that does nothing but moniter the power demand in real time, and try to trend and predict the swings. It only takes one glance at those computer screens on a hot day to tell you that Alberta wont be able to handle EV's any time soon.

Last edited by Bushleague; 12-03-2022 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Unrefined uranium ore is only slightly radioactive and not really dangerous. When I was a teen, I requested a sample from the mine in Northern Saskatchewan, for a science project. They sent me about 5 lbs.

Grizz
Yeah rrighttttt… Tell this to the thousands of Soviet prisoners whose life expectancy was about 2-3 months once they got transferred to the Uranium Mines in the former USSR…. Lots of convicts who got 25 years + or a capital punishment were sent there…
Old 12-03-2022, 10:38 PM

TEDxVancouver - Patrick Moore - 11/21/09

https://youtu.be/kHZKo13HV2A
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-04-2022, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
TEDxVancouver - Patrick Moore - 11/21/09

https://youtu.be/kHZKo13HV2A
Bingo

Alberta’s brown coals are some of the richest resources for future demands, yet we insist on incinerating them.
Fretting that future demands will overrun today’s infrastructure is an idle mind.
Old 12-04-2022, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
If you aren’t in favour of carbon based generation (fossil fuels/coal) then you better accept the nuclear generation option. Relying on the so called “green” generation options is a road to ruin in the less than temperate climate zones.

Will geothermal ever be a thing in Alberta?
Old 12-04-2022, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Bingo

Alberta’s brown coals are some of the richest resources for future demands, yet we insist on incinerating them.
Fretting that future demands will overrun today’s infrastructure is an idle mind.
And legislating even more future demands on infrastructure that doesn't yet exist, and that we have no immediate feasible plans to develop, is idiocy.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
Geothermal runs on electricity - quite a bit of it. The increased cost of heating via geothermal aside, switching over fossil fuel heating to geothermal heating will exacerbate the grid problems.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
and that we have no immediate feasible plans to develop, is idiocy.
Totally agree
Old 12-04-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Totally agree
And we don't yet have a solution that will provide the extra grid and power generation that will be required anytime soon. Some people are acting like the grid will just increase capacity, and the generation plants, will just spring up on their own. Even once the plans are drawn up, it takes many years, and huge amounts of money, to do the work
Old 12-04-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Minus 28 here last night. One vehicle plugged in all night because you just can't count on an ambulance like you used to. Maybe shut off some lights in the downtown office towers for a start.
2x
Old 12-04-2022, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
Geothermal runs on electricity - quite a bit of it. The increased cost of heating via geothermal aside, switching over fossil fuel heating to geothermal heating will exacerbate the grid problems.
Correct. Geothermal heating/cooling works when electricity is cheap, which we will never see again.
Startup costs on geothermal is quite expensive as well. Been a long time since I had anything to do with it, but 30 years ago was involved in a project for a smaller rural school in Ontario. If I remember right the loops consisted of 51-300' holes drilled for the loops. Wanna say 7" holes. Then of course there is the price of the furnace. Pretty significant cost.
As said, they use a ton of electricity.

Last edited by MountainTi; 12-04-2022 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:00 PM

Quote:
And we don't yet have a solution that will provide the extra grid and power generation that will be required anytime soon. Some people are acting like the grid will just increase capacity, and the generation plants, will just spring up on their own. Even once the plans are drawn up, it takes many years, and huge amounts of money, to do the work
I’ve always been an advocate of letting homeowners access the electrical grid with solar or wind power generation. Rooftop solar and selling back the power at the same all-in rate we buy at.
I estimate the payoff/payback time would be about 3 years (currently it is 5 years). That would make it very inticing to 75% of homeowners.

This would boost supply and reduce demand.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I’ve always been an advocate of letting homeowners access the electrical grid with solar or wind power generation. Rooftop solar and selling back the power at the same all-in rate we buy at.
I estimate the payoff/payback time would be about 3 years (currently it is 5 years). That would make it very inticing to 75% of homeowners.

Yes, every service should have an interlock to the grid.

And have the ability to sell power to the grid.

Not sure Nancy Southern would approve.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:45 PM

Power grids are fragile things. Doesn't take much to shut things down. Far more vulnerable to disruption then you would think. And there are cascading failure affects, as happened in Texas during their storm. This is fresh news here:

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/in...CBOEI4G2G5CZY/

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-04-2022, 08:47 PM

Quote:

What location are you using for the payback calculation? The farther north you go, the more heat is required in winter and the less hours of daylight in winter.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:50 PM

Quote:
20 years ago people were complaining that a/c were causing blackouts.
And they're still trying to figure that out aren't they? Maybe we're down to brownout status now.....
Old 12-04-2022, 09:35 PM

Quote:
What location are you using for the payback calculation? The farther north you go, the more heat is required in winter and the less hours of daylight in winter.
Actually a friend of a friend in Calgary recently installed solar panels and calculated the payback in 5 years after one year of data.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Actually a friend of a friend in Calgary recently installed solar panels and calculated the payback in 5 years after one year of data.
I'm not sure your friend is calculating accurately. My neighbor outfitted his 2400 sq/ft shop about 4 years ago, even with the incentives he calculates near 25 years.. One thing many forget, insurance rates increase with solar as well.

I should mention he went with geotherm, his electric draw is excessive due to the pump... He also states he would never go with geotherm again...
Old 12-04-2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
I'm not sure your friend is calculating accurately. My neighbor outfitted his 2400 sq/ft shop about 4 years ago, even with the incentives he calculates near 25 years.. One thing many forget, insurance rates increase with solar as well.

I should mention he went with geotherm, his electric draw is excessive due to the pump... He also states he would never go with geotherm again...
I rechecked the text and it’s was a 7 year buyback.

Here was his first month bill.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...tm_name=iossmf
Old 12-04-2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
That sounds pretty optimistic, given that I am seeing 8-10 years quoted for Southern Alberta, and up to 12 years, in the North, to save enough to cover the cost of the system. And that doesn't cover extra insurance, which someone else mentioned.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I rechecked the text and it’s was a 7 year buyback.

Here was his first month bill.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...tm_name=iossmf
The average electric consumption in Calgary per month is 600 kWh.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post

I have yet to meet someone with geothermal that doesn’t sing the same song.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:42 PM

Geothermal makes sense, if you live in Iceland, and there are geothermal vents and lava flows and active volcanoes readily available. Other then that, not so much.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-05-2022, 08:52 AM

was it Medicine Hat that did solar or wind for municipal buildings and then abandon that project in the last few years
will need to look it up