Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
Most drivers have very little idea of how to handle an unintended acceleration incident. Many drivers don't have a clue how to get into thier own vehicle if the electronic fob doesn't open the door. That's not part of teaching people about driving. It should be, I agree with you on that.

Toyota covered up a problem, it cost them 1.2 billion in fines. Obviously there had to be more than one incident.

I'm thinking because you own a Toyota that they have to be the best , no way they could actually be at fault.

In my professional opinion of being an automotive mechanic for over 20 years they all break. I don't really care which brand you buy, they all have service centers.
I am in no way stating that Toyota doesn't make mistakes, but after owning two Toyota vehicles for over 300,000 km, I have had to have one battery replaced after 10 years, and the front brakes replaced in one vehicle after 11 years. There were zero parts failures on either vehicle. I have also owned one Hyundai vehicle that went almost 100,000km, with no failures. Every single one of my four new GM pickups had at least two failures, and my two Fords had at least five or six failures each, and not one of those vehicles had 100,000km on them, when I sold them. And that is why I chose to go with another Toyota just recently .
Old 03-14-2019, 08:49 PM

Yes, all vehicles wear out. All manufacturers have an engineering failure here or there.
I have the same experience with North American pickups - major failures under 100,000 km - both Chev and Ford.
First pickup was a 51 GMC so my experience is long.
By contrast, Toyota, Nissan and Subaru - utterly no failures of major systems at all and no expensive parts wear out until well over 200,000 km - then struts and brake overhaul.