Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokcondave View Post
County of rockyview only allows one animal unit per four acres.
That means anything from four to seven acres only one horse is allowed. This is usually only a problem in "acreage rows", if your surrounded by farms they don't care. Your land will tell you how many animal you can have on it. If you over graze and at the end of the year your land is bald, too many horses.
Actually, you can apply for a second horse permit.... It's a quick money grab, but they do sign them pretty easily, in rocky.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
Think 5 acres per animal and you'll be ok. You will still have to feed though... Mid September to May you'll be buying hay and depending on the year you may have to supplement through the summer too. We had 4 horses on 20 acres and it was always eaten into the dirt... You have to remember that on an acreage you lose your building envelope, yard and driveway. So 4-5 acres is more like 2 1/2 - 3 1/2...

I'd say your looking at a 60k investment for 3 horses, saddles, tack, a very simple 4 stall metal barn, trailer and basic 4 strand fencing on a 5 acre piece.
Yearly costs are in the neighbourhood of $1500 a horse (farrier, vet, round bales (cheaper than squares), worming paste) more if you feed squares or hay prices are up... Also a small tractor to clean up the manure and feed bales can be had for under 10k for an older good used one.

We bought a quarter and don't have to worry anymore.
I'm not knocking your numbers but it's these type numbers that deter a lot of people!!
$60,000???

Great horse can be had easily for $1000 - $2000.
Tack per horse even mid range is $1500 and can be well less and still have good gear. I have two older Eamors that cost me at a horse sale $300/saddle and you won't get better saddles.

Barn isn't required as a horse shelter w/built on tack room is good for $1500

Trailer isn't a must and can cost from $2000 up $10,000-$15000 will get you decent slant haul 3 horse with dressing room and rear tack. But again a aluminum mini stock for 3 head will be less.

$1500 for expenes? I run 9 head and my bills don't run that per animal and we use osteopaths and such on our horses which most don't. As well we use mineral supplements and rations daily!!

Tractor as well isn't needed even for round bales. I have a tractor but feed my rounds all winter with my pickup.

Harrows behind a quad or truck does manure fine in pasture areas and corals don't need cleaning every year and is cheaper to just get a skid steer in ever couple years. Rental is only a few hundred ever couple years.

Again cost is what you make it but you for sure can get into 2-3 head for well well under $60,000!!

Last edited by sheepguide; 06-11-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:49 AM

Moved out of the city to an acreage 19 years ago and ain't moving back. Have 15 acres of land, completely treed, the only way to go. Can't see my neighbors and the traffic going by is nearly invisable as well. Great life style. Can't help with the animal question as all of my pets are indoor cretters and the outdoor ones are gasoline powered.