Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2019, 01:02 PM

Easier to blame the refs I guess... Canada has not played well at all, Russia has been consistent all game winning every battle. Hopefully the boys will learn a lesson from this loss. Not looking good for Lafreniere.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
When my daughter got married this summer, I slipped a couple of half ounce gold maple leafs into an envelope for them. They were pleased.
That's very cool!

Looks like the Jr's got a case of Oilers-itis.

Forgot there was a game to play?
Old 12-28-2019, 02:42 PM

Problem with Team Canada brass, they are picking the "best" players and not necessarily assembling the "best" team. Overall team chemistry and the intangibles don't show up on a stat sheet. I'll suggest they are lacking some "role" players and in my opinion this problem has existed for quite a few years now.
Old 12-28-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Problem with Team Canada brass, they are picking the "best" players and not necessarily assembling the "best" team. Overall team chemistry and the intangibles don't show up on a stat sheet. I'll suggest they are lacking some "role" players and in my opinion this problem has existed for quite a few years now.
X2...…...lack of "chemistry"
Old 12-28-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Thank god we have the juniors to watch...Spengler cup is like watching peewee hockey
At least they are winning...
Old 12-28-2019, 04:49 PM

I kinda disagree on the lack of role players, the Captain and Lefreniere both seem to be doing a good job as returning vets....mind you, I didn't see the game....but jut an observation from the USA game. Russia would have had a point to prove after losing their opener to Czechs, and it's unfortunate that our boys weren't up for the stress test. Chalk it down to a young team with only a few returning vets, they can use it as an incentive next game.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-28-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
At least they are winning...
They are 1 and 1...And so is everyone in Group B...
Old 12-28-2019, 06:41 PM

So checking up on today's beat down. What was the deal with our team captain? Not removing helmet during the anthem post game? Little disappointing. Would expect way more out of a captain than that. Seen there weren't many handshakes give to him in that line up. Don't blame the Russian players for that. Next time play better.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
They are 1 and 1...And so is everyone in Group B...
I’m talking about Spengler cup , I’m actually enjoying it as we have family playing in it.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:10 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

One word....chemistry....must mesh soon if not....well enjoy the tour of the area.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-28-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
So checking up on today's beat down. What was the deal with our team captain? Not removing helmet during the anthem post game? Little disappointing. Would expect way more out of a captain than that. Seen there weren't many handshakes give to him in that line up. Don't blame the Russian players for that. Next time play better.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/can...c-28-1.5410012

I call BS on his poor attempt at an apology! Trying to process the game... ha yah right. You lost and you were p!$$ed. Sorry when I was his age I knew the difference between being a good sport and a poor sport. Losing sucks but when you get a beat down like that it’s obvious who earned the game and who did not. I get that this is a world stage and a source of national pride but how do you expect the next generation of players to behave when they see this kind of behavior from players today? Since they are representing a country I don’t care who you are you are or should be held to a higher standard than the average player.. Various incidents like this over the past decade is one reason I quite watching hockey because it’s all to common in junior hockey these days. Heck go to a peewee game and see how parents act. Bloody embarrassing!
Old 12-28-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:

Agreed and he should be stripped of being the captaincy going forward. That’s something I would expect from an American. I expect much better from a Canadian. It’s embarrassing.

These goal celebrations are getting out of hand also. Do we really need to be “swimming” on the ice when it’s 5 zip? Millennials will be the end of us I swear.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Agreed and he should be stripped of being the captaincy going forward. That’s something I would expect from an American. I expect much better from a Canadian. It’s embarrassing.

These goal celebrations are getting out of hand also. Do we really need to be “swimming” on the ice when it’s 5 zip? Millennials will be the end of us I swear.
2x.. our hockey program will continue to diminish with our hockey program following the European model.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:

Or antics of a Swedish captain, remember the captain who threw his silver medal into the stands ? I’m afraid sportsmanship is dying world wide .
Old 12-29-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:

I can't stand these over the top celebrations. You want to group up and knock helmets, fine. Go run the bench for gloves and get back in line. It's a horrible look as far as I'm concerned, trying g to make it about them. These Jr programs need to be a bit stricter, as those boys are represrn8the nation. Show class and respect. Be an ***** on you own teams time.

Old 12-29-2019, 07:54 AM

Agree with what's been said about the captain, you got your ass handed to you man, after the game is not the time to do something about it, should have done something during the game...….classless from all angles, no apology absolves his sore loser attitude....!

Have to acknowledge the rest of the countries are getting better then us in the game of hockey, even though most of the good juniors are playing in Canadian leagues. if you want to dominate again, pull a Cherry and kick them out of our junior leagues.....
Old 12-29-2019, 08:09 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Or antics of a Swedish captain, remember the captain who threw his silver medal into the stands ? I’m afraid sportsmanship is dying world wide .
Not really dying just caught right away and goes viral.....captain makes an apology to all, coach takes away his captaincy and on we go....do it quickly to send the message to all that the team representing a country is a class act.

Ohhh but that might come back in ten years and bite the team Canada coaching staff that they miss treated a player that impacted his life as a pro and couldn't make it......meanwhile the coaches loose thier jobs they hold.....

Oh well young players make young mistakes as indicated by thier game but they will bounce back....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-29-2019, 08:49 AM

Hopefully the over-the-top Russian goal celebrations will serve as a motivator and help glue this team together. Payback can be a b!@tch.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:27 PM

The way Canada played, they will not be around in the medal rounds and this act from the Captain will add more pressure and distraction. I hope Im wrong but that was a poor outing. Russia dominated them. They continue to be disciplined and it will cost them.

Again, I hope Im wrong but I have little confidence in what Ive seen so far.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:52 PM
Banned

USA vs RUS is 2-0 USA after two periods.

Gooooooo USA!
Old 12-29-2019, 02:43 PM

Finland and Sweden have far better penalty kills and some very confident players.

Canada is not playing with grit and determination.

Too bad. Past years...games have been exciting.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-29-2019, 03:43 PM

Who was in net for the USA today? Not showing me much details on the score.

Old 12-29-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Who was in net for the USA today? Not showing me much details on the score.

Knight

There are no absolutes
Old 12-29-2019, 04:34 PM

I totally agree. No respect by our Captain. A returning player and the only one currently on the team that plays in the NHL. I am glad a few Russian players didn’t shake the Canada Captain’s hand. IMO the entire team shouldn’t of .

All we will remember is this was a Canada’s worst loss ever at the World Juniors and this young man was the Captain of that team and never removed his helmet.

Show the world we don’t put up with ignorance / disrespect and take his C away and just run all “A” imo. Hard lesson to learn but it has to be done.

Russia played a great game against Canada and kept the pedal to the metal.

On another note, Team USA did Canada a favour by beating the Russians so It’s up to the young Canadian men to SHOW UP and play a full 60 minutes each and every game now.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I’m talking about Spengler cup , I’m actually enjoying it as we have family playing in it.
And I was talking about the juniors
Old 12-29-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I agree just remembering the silver medal toss....The players today are almost spoiled little brats, where as players of past had passion and respectable of the game of Hockey and representing Canada...

Ever see Gretzky, Lemiex, Crosby, Tavares, Eberle, Mcdavid pull this kind of ****? The list could go on and on....
Old 12-30-2019, 05:18 AM

Canada got a lesson on speed, puck handling skills, forechecking, determination and team playing. Oh ya, how to score goals. They need to pick it up a notch and don't be coasting around and move their feet. Show more support on the puck. It's like they were playing shorthanded most of the time. One lack luster effort but they have two more games to prove their worth. Let's hope all those goals against don't come back and bite them if a tie comes into play for the medal rounds
Old 12-30-2019, 07:03 AM

The first thing they need to do is stay out of the penalty box, the German power play is operating at 45% and the Canadian PK is brutal, all that adds up to another Canadian loss if they don't change what they are doing, but we'll know in about 2 1/2 hrs from now.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:32 AM

Much better game than the last showing, still need to watch those penalties. Czechs tomorrow.
Canada beats Germany 4-1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2019, 11:18 AM

Up by one early. Good pace to this one to start.