Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-02-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Any man who drives by a women clearly in distress is not a man.
Sorry your daughter had to lose a little more faith in humanity.
I would look at the situation first...Weather, time of day etc...But yes, I am always leary....Never have I seen someone trying to flag anyone down and usually they are already calling for help....
Old 01-02-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
I would look at the situation first...Weather, time of day etc...But yes, I am always leary....Never have I seen someone trying to flag anyone down and usually they are already calling for help....
Car broke down. Woman waving frantically. I stop. Her cell could be dead or broke or whatever. Winter storm. What’s to say there’s not a baby in the car seat........I’ll chance it.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Car broke down. Woman waving frantically. I stop. Her cell could be dead or broke or whatever. Winter storm. What’s to say there’s not a baby in the car seat........I’ll chance it.
I will not disagree with you....
Old 01-02-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyn View Post
"..and a skinny nerdy looking kid in a Ford Fiesta stopped..."
Is that a thankful response though?
If i did some random act
and read on a forum "thx skin & bones nerd"..i would'nt be feeling
good energy for being the only one there for your loved one.

Last edited by tri777; 01-02-2020 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:47 PM

So to respond to some of the posts on here. she was on the phone to me instead of a tow truck because a tow truck is going to take the better part of 2 hours to get there at best when all she needs is somebody on the phone to say "its going to be okay and you are not alone" and all she needs is a little push get off the ice, didn't require a hook up, no idea it would take 44 minutes for somebody to actually stop, you are just thinking the next guy will help so no need to call.

Traction control is the right answer, we went with that first but she couldn't find the traction control control (rental car, I tried to google it, no luck)
Snow in the wheel wells, absolutely what I figured it was but you know lets just make sure you don't have a flat tire or something else going on. It actually did happen between 70 and 80 klicks so good call on that one.
Not safe to pull over, again , right on, had an RCMP officer killed on the highway back home doing the good samaritan thing, it does happen, I get that. You need to be safe first of all.
People jumping out of the ditch to mug you, maybe, but not likely you've got a couple of ********s lying in wait in the ditch in a snowstorm in the day time in their Nike's and skinny jeans.
Side note, that couple in BC did not stop to help, they were parked when they were ambushed. At least that's how I read it.
Hood up, 4 ways on and standing beside the car waving for assistance, no mistake she wasn't just parking to use the phone

The irony is, last summer we were moving her stuff from Medicine Hat to Calgary and took the scenic route, 2 vehicles and a utility trailer, beautiful bright warm sunny afternoon, stopped on the side of a back road to let her dog have a little run and we had 2 people pull over and ask if we needed help, one guy actually took the time to talk to her aside to make sure I wasn't up to something nasty, and good for him to go the extra step.
the conclusion i have come to is,if you find yourself in a situation on the side of the road where you need a little help, whether you get it or not might just depend on the weather.
Anyway, alls well that ends well and I'm less incensed than I was earlier.
Kids are awesome, no end of parent angst. Love it.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:53 PM

If i did some random act
good energy for being the only one there for your loved one.[/QUOTE]

probably not thats on me..her words, meaning some city kid stopped while all the alpha male's in the big dodge diesels kept on trucking.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyn View Post
probably not thats on me..her words, meaning some city kid stopped while all the alpha male's in the big dodge diesels kept on trucking.
Lol, & thx for a good reply !
Old 01-02-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
If i did some random act
good energy for being the only one there for your loved one.
I guess he was there or his daughter described the skinny nerd that way..LOL
Old 01-02-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Lol, & thx for a good reply !
Can imagine the reply I got if I helped out..."Some fat guy in a chevy came and towed me out".....
Old 01-02-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Can imagine the reply I got if I helped out..."Some fat guy in a chevy came and towed me out".....
Lol, but no, never from me, daily hero"s are very high up in the ladder of life for me.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:12 PM

When I see someone on the side of the road with their phone to their ear I assume they already have help on the way.

Before phones I would stop every time.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
I don’t understand it but nowadays some people are more likely to video someone in distress rather than help them
Agree, sadly.

I couldn't live with myself if I just drove by a damsel in distress, I just can't do it, especially in the winter. I have to stop and offer help, or at least see if they are ok.

I was with a buddy who bought an auction car last summer and we were driving it back to his place and it died on him halfway home. He put the hood up and 4 ways on and called another buddy to come pull us off the main road.

You wouldn't believe how many people behind him started honking at him, even though we were CLEARLY broke down with the 4 ways flashing. Yea, thanks, your honking really helps! IDIOTS!!

True idiots used to be few and far between, sadly now they are everywhere.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
"Eventually an older first nations guy in a beat up old Civic stopped", minus the beat up Honda Civic, I'd resemble this remark......
Old 01-03-2020, 10:26 AM

Glad everything worked out ok. We have three daughters in their 20s scattered over 3 different provinces. We are still paying for the family AMA membership ($300 per year) and everyone has used it at least once ( from towing to battery failure to keys locked in car).Their service is very good and does go North America wide and they can escalate the response if there is any safety concerns. It does give us some peace of mind however I too have stayed on the call till they arrive. In this day and age with distracted driving an epidemic if you do have to wait on the side of the road and if the weather allows I always tell them to wait well away from the car and the road if it is a busy highway or dark and stormy. A family lost a Mom near Wetaskewin just last week , hit by another vehicle while helping to push her granddaughter out of the ditch.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

I understand the fear for any very young or very old person driving alone to stop and help, because there has been a lot of times where the one person waiting did not mention the other 3 laying in wait, it happens.

It is sad that many drove by without helping. I feel for you Dad.
What Ken says right here. Sad, but the way it is these days. Other side of the coin is a young lady, by herself, on a very quiet road. Lots of strange, sometimes dangerous people out there.