Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
There was a thread a while back where the location the deer was shot was hotly debated. If I remember right it was concluded that it wasn't on the Pinhorn. When lefty said it was it just raised a question in my mind. Not sure if it really has anything to do with the case or not.

If you do a search you'll find the old thread I'm sure.
Strawboss....was the one who said it wasn't taken there. He is also the one named as a co-accused with Brock....I will hold my opinions on the matter till the evidence is presented and the court case has finished.

Just a BIG coincidence he is the one who so strongly stated it was not the Pinhorn when who knows it could have been ....all speculation at this point though.

LC
Old 12-15-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
still innocent untill proven guilty and has not went to court yet
guilty untill proven innocent ya mean?
Old 12-15-2011, 08:53 PM

Would this be the deer in question?

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...t=brock+lesnar

Post #1
Quote:
Brock Lesnar's big whitetail shot in Alberta

I saw a hunting show today with Brock Lesnar the (Ultimate Fighter) and I believe it was the Eastern side of Alberta in some pretty rough terrian and he was hunting for a big mule deer the weather was terrible. The second day they spot this HUGE whitetail buck and he didn't have a whitetail tag so they said he passed. He ends up shooting a fairly nice mule deer but at the end of the show they said he went back with a whitetail tag and they found the deer and he shot it. The outfitter/ guide said it was the biggest buck he had ever saw. It did look like a giant but they didn't say how big or they didn't show a real good picture for very long. Does anyone know what this deer scored or did they see this show I'm talking about. I didn't get the name of the show I missed the first couple minutes. It was a real dandy. If anyone know I'd like to know or see another picture of this deer.

Post #12
Quote:
Yea he went back after and found the white tail and shot it??????? Sounds like a nice way to say I shot it then went and got the tag.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:15 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Strawboss....was the one who said it wasn't taken there. LC
Think a few others said that as well No idea, just didn't look like it to me.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
Actually from reading the other news story published http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Fighting/U.../19129241.html it does seem a bit minor. Will have to see more in January.
This story seems to talk more about the poor guys arse than the hunting charges
Old 12-15-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Controlled animals are "non-game animals", like snakes, a few rodents and most songbirds and shorebirds. Included in that list are Rattlesnakes.
I suspect he may have had a dead rattlesnake in his possession, based on the charge, the area in which he was caught, and what I know of Lesnar.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:08 PM
sheephunter

A bit more info....

UFC star Brock Lesnar charged with 3 deer-hunting violations in Alberta
By Dave Orrick
dorrick@pioneerpress.com
Updated: 12/15/2011 10:59:33 PM CST

Brock Lesnar answers questions from the media during an open workout at the Minneapolis Marriott City Center on Aug. 6, 2008, in downtown Minneapolis. (Pioneer Press: Sherri LaRose-Chiglo)
Ultimate fighting superstar and Minnesotan Brock Lesnar was charged Thursday in Canada with deer-hunting violations.

Lesnar, 34, of Alexandria, Minn., has been charged in Medicine Hat with three counts of violating the Alberta Wildlife Act in connection with a 2010 hunting and fishing trip, according to court officials and published reports.

The three counts are failing to tag a deer after killing it; allowing edible mule deer flesh to be wasted or abandoned; and illegal possession of a deer, a Medicine Hat Provincial Court official said.

The former University of Minnesota wrestler was summoned to appear Thursday, but his case has been continued until Jan. 19. Lesnar could not be reached for comment.

The Calgary Herald reported that the case, which also involves charges against a guide, came to the attention of authorities after an inspection of a taxidermist.

"A whitetail deer was found in the possession of the taxidermist and was not tagged, and as a result of that, an investigation ensued," Alberta Sustainable Resource Development spokesman Darcy Whiteside told the Herald, which reported that Lesnar's charges include both a whitetail and a mule deer.

As an American, Lesnar required a guide to hunt in Alberta.

"It is the responsibility of both the hunter and the guide to follow the regulations as it relates to hunting," Whiteside said.

The maximum penalty for each charge is a $50,000 fine and a year in prison.

On Dec. 30, Lesnar is scheduled
Old 12-15-2011, 10:12 PM

Default Brocks Deer

I remember the firts post on here that had pictures of Brocks deer. I have been searching through the pages trying to find it, anyone know where that oroginal post is.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:16 PM

Default never mind

Never mind I found it
Old 12-15-2011, 10:41 PM

For those that think its the outfitter/guide's responsibility to knowe the rules.....How can Brockhead possibly know that you need to put a tag on a deer you shoot?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:49 PM

What would you do if you saw a big WT while hunting MD and you didn't have a tag for it?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
What would you do if you saw a big WT while hunting MD and you didn't have a tag for it?
For me....that wouldn't be possible. I always have my WT tag till the end of the season. Well not always...back in 2006 I filled it mid season!
Old 12-16-2011, 07:44 AM

Write a cheque and it'll all go away !
Old 12-16-2011, 07:57 AM
Banned

I wonder if the deer was seized?
Old 12-16-2011, 09:22 AM

Reading the Hat paper this morn it seemed all the evidence was from you tube. No one is possibly silly enough to video themselves doing something illegal? Or have I missed something? Even if it didn't show them taking all the meat it would be tough to prove that they didn't go back after and get everything. Also it would have to be a awfully shady taxidermist to take a animal without a tag, they are usually quite strict on that.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
I just heard he bought a bunch of land in SK as well...
Yes he does own land in SK by Maryfield and it’s great WT hunting too, 15 min from the farm I grew up on. I have hunted there for many years and now every thing is posted. Does any one here know if he is charged if it’s a criminal offence?
So as a Non resident he can’t hunt in the south half of SK, I just wonder if there is any thing illegal going on there??
Old 12-16-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG78 View Post
Reading the Hat paper this morn it seemed all the evidence was from you tube. No one is possibly silly enough to video themselves doing something illegal? Or have I missed something? Even if it didn't show them taking all the meat it would be tough to prove that they didn't go back after and get everything. Also it would have to be a awfully shady taxidermist to take a animal without a tag, they are usually quite strict on that.
seriously?

everyone on a tv show would be guilty then....i can count on one hand the shows that actually show game meat being processed!

the video in question shows brock down the deer then cuts to a shot of him packing the antlers and cape out on his back....hardly evidence he left the meat to rot and didnt tag it properly....i dont think any CO would be stupid enough to lay charges based on a heavily edited youtube clip...theres always more to the story.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:45 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG78 View Post
Reading the Hat paper this morn it seemed all the evidence was from you tube. .
Here's what Herald said...it makes more sense

Quote:
"A whitetail deer was found in the possession of the taxidermist and was not tagged, and as a result of that, an investigation ensued," Alberta Sustainable Resource Development spokesman Darcy Whiteside told the Herald, which reported that Lesnar's charges include both a whitetail and a mule deer.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Gone Hunting

Ok only asking because I don not know. I have never seen a tagged animal in a taxidermy studio sans heads from years ago when steel tags on antlers were the way. Why would there be 2 "deer" in a taxi shop untagged. Last I checked no taxi man lets a guy drop off whole deer, they are not butchers. My question I suppose then is, are non res supplied and directed to tag with a different system than residents? Just asking cause I dont know, but again, Ive yet to see anything with antler seals in taxi shops unless from Sask. To further my question I guess, did the taxidermist accept the heads with no info and no exchange of reciept?

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 12-16-2011, 10:13 AM

I feel sorry for a non-resident who gets charged with things like this when he is with a professional APOS member. It's hard enough for residents like us to keep track of all the rules. If I hire a guide I expect he knows the law and is guiding me correctly. Of course I don't know all the details of what transpired, but unless the hunter says "Screw you, I'm doing it my way" to the guide I think the law should go relatively lightly on them.

Also, why wasn't the taxidermist also charged? He apparently accepted illegal game.

Last edited by Okotokian; 12-16-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Unless the hunter says "Screw you, I'm doing it my way" to the guide
as a professional you would hope the guide would report it in that situation and in turn wash responsibility from their hands

im still a little suprised brock is liable at all when he was hunting with a guide....ive never done a guided hunt so thats news to me.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:30 AM

Default Brock Lesnar facing wildlife charges

What did he do?

http://www.globallethbridge.com/form...400/story.html
Old 12-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun+Rod View Post
Probably knocked a moose out.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:34 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Ok only asking because I don not know. I have never seen a tagged animal in a taxidermy studio sans heads from years ago when steel tags on antlers were the way. Why would there be 2 "deer" in a taxi shop untagged. Last I checked no taxi man lets a guy drop off whole deer, they are not butchers. My question I suppose then is, are non res supplied and directed to tag with a different system than residents? Just asking cause I dont know, but again, Ive yet to see anything with antler seals in taxi shops unless from Sask. To further my question I guess, did the taxidermist accept the heads with no info and no exchange of reciept?
I don't know for sure pack but I suspect it meant that the head did not have a corresponding tag number recorded. Taxidermists are required to record licence and tag numbers for everything they take in...obviously they don't get the actual tag. Reporters don't understand the nuances of the law often and things can come out a bitm confusing. Best to read between the lines.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
as a professional you would hope the guide would report it in that situation and in turn wash responsibility from their hands

im still a little suprised brock is liable at all when he was hunting with a guide....ive never done a guided hunt so thats news to me.
Why should a person be allowed to break wildlife laws because his service provider says it's ok? It's pretty clear, ignorance of the law is not an accepted defence. We do not know if Brock is allegedly ignorant, or complicit.

Some taxidermists will accept a whole animal. They could be asked to cape/skin it out. This often happens when people are in a rush....

A taxidermist should become suspicious when an animal is brought in and a licence number can't be provided, as in "I'll give it to you later"....
Old 12-16-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Why should a person be allowed to break wildlife laws because his service provider says it's ok?
i never said he should be allowed to break the law...im just surprised the charges are laid to him as well as the outfitter...and not JUST the outfitter....i didnt disagree he should be charged, its actually nice to see something enforced once in a while around here.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Why should a person be allowed to break wildlife laws because his service provider says it's ok? It's pretty clear, ignorance of the law is not an accepted defence.
Perhaps, but it seems pretty harsh for the government to charge someone for following the instructions of a guide certified by that government in a case where the government says the hunter must use a such a guide.

For those of you that have gone on african guided hunts, have you obtained GPS maps of the areas and checked them every hour while in the field to make sure your guide wasn't taking you outside of areas where hunting was allowed? For anyone that has used a guide here, have you checked with the landowners to ensure the guide actually had proper access permission? come on....
Old 12-16-2011, 10:59 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Perhaps, but it seems pretty harsh for the government to charge someone for following the instructions of a guide certified by that government in a case where the government says the hunter must use a such a guide.

For those of you that have gone on african guided hunts, have you obtained GPS maps of the areas and checked them every hour while in the field to make sure your guide wasn't taking you outside of areas where hunting was allowed? For anyone that has used a guide here, have you checked with the landowners to ensure the guide actually had proper access permission? come on....
I agree with you in some aspects oko and in other cases some laws are fairly universal. I would hope the judge would take that into account, either way. I guess something else to consider is did the client know he was breaking the law. Not totally black and white. Mens rea applies.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:05 AM

Makes one wonder when a guy like Brock wants something ,I'm sure money is the least of his worries ..........
Just saying

Nikon
Old 12-16-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:

Assuming the client followed the guide's instructions, not knowing that the actions were illegal.

What if the client knew the actions were illegal?

Does that make things any different?

In court, it likely does. In both instances, the judgement would likely still be Guilty if the evidence is sufficient, but the penalty would take ALL factors into consideration. There are many past examples in Alberta courts where the judge took it easy on the client due to a bad decision of the guide, when their was evidence that the client was duped into breaking the law. Great White Holding's is an example of this.
Closed Thread