Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-19-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
Redfrog, I am not going to answer you any longer. Probably not ever. Just know that I am an excellent shot (for a newb), a fast learner, and just because I am being unabashedly honest about my first hunt, this does not mean I am incapable on my own.

•••
For the rest of you, right after I answered the last post, I started doing dishes. Looked out the window, and sure enough, there are two coming through the pasture.

I screamed for my boy, dried my hands, then loaded up and headed out.

Unfortunately, they took off running when they saw me come out, and I had to cover about 150 yards of ground just to be in a good place to take a shot.

I had my son turn on the call, which stopped only one of them for a brief second. They were quite far by this time, but I took a standing shot with my .270 at the one that stopped, but I missed.

However, my son said he could see the shot hit the ground and I was very, very close.

We'll go out again tonight, but I think that we should definitely try a new spot now.
Sure sounds like you are having fun... You are making memories for your kids. Good on you be safe and enjoy this time.

BW
Old 05-19-2012, 04:11 PM

The only thing this adventure's missing is the inclusion of a llama.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:33 PM

Default dare I say

the llama rests his case!
Old 05-19-2012, 04:41 PM

Oh, but this day just keeps getting better.

I kid you not, it appears as though I have a bumblebee infestation in my HOUSE.

They keep appearing in the basement, and I cannot figure out where they're getting in.

I know I said I like taking care of stuff myself, but I'll make an exception this time!

Ideas? Please?
Old 05-19-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:

They keep appearing in the basement, and I cannot figure out where they're getting in.

I know I said I like taking care of stuff myself, but I'll make an exception this time!

Ideas? Please?
Seriously? Your asking advice to take care of bugs in your house? Some things are easy and dont need to be made difficult.

Buy some bug spray (Raid).....find the access points (or nest, etc).....spray and kill the bugs.....
Old 05-19-2012, 04:53 PM

I cannot find an access point. I cannot find a nest.
The only place I have yet to check is on the roof, but I have to go and borrow a ladder first.

I cannot use insecticide because of the tarantulas.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with bumblebees specifically, and what that experience may have been so that I can perhaps more easily solve this disturbing little mystery.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:54 PM

Easy solution....

Kill the tarantulas, and then you can use insecticide....

See, just like that. Two problems solved.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Zomg. What a gong show.

Woke up late.
Packed. Tested camera that I picked up after being away for repair.
Realized I paid $280 for a still-broken camera.
Swore profusely.

Finally got out of the house.
Brought the horse in out of the pasture.

Went to close the gate. It broke, post lands on my big toe.
More profuse swearing.

Limp back, set up blind. Forgot jackrabbit.
Go get jackrabbit. Set up electronic call. Spray fox urine.

Just get settled into the blind when the dogs find us. Bring the dogs back to the yard. Discover they've knocked over a board from the fence to escape.

Go to the workshop, get tools, fix the fence. Limp back to the blind.

And here we are... minutes in and we haven't even seen a gopher.

This is like fishing. But without the added pleasure of talking and drinking.

Don't worry though, I'll catch up on the drinking later - right after I splint my toe!
:sHa_sarcastic lol:

Some times you're the dog....other times the hydrant.

Tomarrow's another day...ice that toe till then.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:40 PM

Found the entrance!
Fixed it!

I love duct tape!

I'm so looking forward to tomorrow, Pesky!
Old 05-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Without hands on instruction it would be easier to teach a fish to ride a bicycle,

No offense intended. I'm just sayin' you need help.
Everyone has had a day go gong show on em.

There's no subsititute for experience but she seems like a pretty quick study.

I'll bet you a beer she manages to giterdun before too long if she keeps at it.

Besides she has lots of help available to her even if it isn't one on one.

It's her first year hunting and the learning curve is steep but she'll manage...I'm sure of it.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Banned

Quote:

Ideas? Please?
Some times you can hear them in your walls if they are there.

If that is the case...a small hole and a nice dusting of insecticide or a few seconds of spray bomb into the space should hurt your other critters.

Check your dryer vent, any place wires or pipe enter the structure...and around the windows.

You might also want to just sit and watch both inside and out...they'll lead you to their access point eventually....trust me.

Oh...try hanging a few of those grey bags or make your own.
They look like paper wasp nests and tend to scare a lot of other bugs away since they are predatory.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Found the entrance!
Fixed it!

I love duct tape!

I'm so looking forward to tomorrow, Pesky!
Expanding spray foam works even better than duct tape sometimes.

Good luck.

I got a beer riding on this.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:59 PM

You have a nest somewhere (usually roof)and as it warms they pay visits. They are probably the big guys. If you find an external hole spray foam works best.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:08 PM

In my old house I was sitting in the throne room one day and heard some buzzing; I looked up and saw some bees in the bathroom exhaust fan grill, unable to get past it. I went outside and checked the flapper, it was fine. Then scanning he side of the house I noted a 5/8" hole I neglected to plug after having remove the hose bibb from that location. Fied it with paintable caulking and all was well, waited a few days and vacuumed the bees out of the fan.

For Arachno's bee issue, can't she just let the spiders out? Perhaps constructing some type of spider-nest hat to wear when outside for defense against marauding insects?

I'm happy to read of your coyote hunting tales, and wish you success in your efforts!
Old 05-19-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
Expanding spray foam works even better than duct tape sometimes.

Good luck.

I got a beer riding on this.
I'm the one with the bees and the phobia - shouldn't I be the one with the beer?

I'll post pics in a bit. Seriously - it was the exhaust outlet for the furnace. Wide open. They never bothered to cover it with a vent.

And know what else I figured out? The cold air intake doesn't actually go outside. That's a problem, is it not?

You know, this forum is like having a bunch of handy husbands. (and a handful of spurned, bitter exes in the mix, just to keep it interesting!)

Thanks for the help and encouragement!

Last edited by Arachnodisiac; 05-19-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Redfrog, ....

No need to take your frustration out on the poor ol' man. Redfrog has a point.

K.I.S.S.

Great beginning to "The Hunting Chronicals of Arachnodesiac".

Pity the Coyote....

Old 05-19-2012, 08:58 PM

Always trying for the helpful part.

Good luck tomorrow and let's see some pics (if'n ya have any unbroken cameras that is)

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:30 PM

arachno, beware of a big truck with ACME corp the signage rolling up the road...coyotes have be known to obtain complex and ludicrous devices from this mail-order company please keep us updated in your events down on the farm chain
Old 05-19-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
No need to take your frustration out on the poor ol' man. Redfrog has a point.

K.I.S.S.

Great beginning to "The Hunting Chronicals of Arachnodesiac".

Pity the Coyote....

Red means well for sure. I never knew this but red has EXTENSIVE experience with predator hunting. If he wasn't a million miles from you I'm sure he'd show you some tips.

Keep us posted. This thread rocks ! love your independent spirit and resourcefulness.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Gone Hunting

"Redfrog, I am not going to answer you any longer. Probably not ever. Just know that I am an excellent shot (for a newb), a fast learner, and just because I am being unabashedly honest about my first hunt, this does not mean I am incapable on my own"

Now you're just being mean. I tried to help I really did. YOu really are beter off with the rabbit on the bbq and drinking the wine.

I even posted for you not to take offense as none was intended.

For a wordsmith you make a lousy coyote killer and as coyote killer you lack some reading comprehension skill. Hey I can't make this stuff up , it is what it is.

Not to brag but I have had years when I've called and killed more coyotes than you've likely seen in your short and interesting life. As I said no brag but I do know what I'm talking about. So far I can only think of one or maybe two things you could do that you haven't done to lessen your odds. You've already made several classical mistakes.

These errors aren't because you aren't smart or can't learn, they are because you don't know. Whether you choose the path of enlightenment or the one of false pride is up to you. a woman with a chip on her shoulder is well.........you know......a woman with a chip on her shoulder. Again no offense intended and I think you are a quick learner, but what would take one hour of one on one will take you a long long time. Unfortunately while you are learning, the coyote is learning faster.

So if you choose to ignore me, c'est la guerre. It will only interfere with your lust for knowledge.

BTW if you unleash all those creepy spiders you have the bug situation will sort itself out.

For the coyote problem try Acme.com

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-19-2012, 09:55 PM
Gone Hunting

^^^^^ correct....and she will not see those coyotes again for a long time.....they will be there, but she won't see them....because she ignored rule #1...Make your first shot count.........
Old 05-19-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Redfrog, I am not going to answer you any longer. Probably not ever. Just know that I am an excellent shot (for a newb), a fast learner, and just because I am being unabashedly honest about my first hunt, this does not mean I am incapable on my own.

•••
For the rest of you, right after I answered the last post, I started doing dishes. Looked out the window, and sure enough, there are two coming through the pasture.

I screamed for my boy, dried my hands, then loaded up and headed out.

Unfortunately, they took off running when they saw me come out, and I had to cover about 150 yards of ground just to be in a good place to take a shot.

I had my son turn on the call, which stopped only one of them for a brief second. They were quite far by this time, but I took a standing shot with my .270 at the one that stopped, but I missed.

However, my son said he could see the shot hit the ground and I was very, very close.

We'll go out again tonight, but I think that we should definitely try a new spot now.
There has been many occasion that i have rattled the dishes on the kitchen table or the counter with shooting coyotes out the kitchen window with nothing on but a smile. Some times oportunity knocks you have to answer the call
Old 05-19-2012, 10:08 PM

Ahhh... the good ole Acme truck!

I should have thought of that today...

I admit I was pretty bummed out about the craptacular morning full of hiccups, but my almost-hit later cheered me up.

Hopefully, I didn't spook them off the call too badly, but you know, if they're going to stay away from my yard and my dog now, I'm pretty tickled about that too. And if not, I will catch up with them. I am home nearly 24/7, so if I screwed up with the call, I will try another method.

As for the hunting, well, it's coming. I have tracked, photographed and been around nature my entire life. The hunting part is just another step (albeit a difficult one). I know I have a lot to learn, but I'm not going to learn it drinking wine and barbecuing a rabbit.

One year ago, I had never held a rifle, much less shot one. Since then, I've purchased two rifles, passed my PAL, hunter's ed and killed countless gophers. (Ok, I could probably count them if I really tried.)

Seven years ago, I had never seen a rattlesnake. Since then, I've seen and hooked several hundred across two provinces and a bunch of states.

I will get my coyote when I've earned it, and not a second before. But I will get it.

AND, I managed to get my camera going. Sadly, the long lens needs to go in for some work, but at least I have the body and the short lens going now.

Here is my youngest and he was pretty stoked, even though he looks very serious. He was so disappointed that we didn't stay in the blind long enough for those coyotes that came by later. Had we still been in the blind, they would have passed within 40 yards of where we were set up.

Inside waiting patiently.

Ok, and here was the repair job on the furnace exhaust. In addition to the duct tape, I also used a staple gun, so we should be set until I can get the right venting I need.

When I went downstairs to the workshop (for the staple gun) I noticed this:

That's the cold air intake, right? Ok, so it's fallen off how it was hooked up, that's cool, I can fix that... but there's no exit to the outside at all.
This is the cold air intake, or do I have my furnace anatomy all wrong?

Anyway, it looked like it was just pulling in air from around the foundation of the house, sort of between the exterior wall and the interior one.
So, when I went back with the staple gun, I searched high and low, but there's no second hole for the cold air intake.

Perhaps I have the system figured all wrong, but I thought having two exits outside was sort of mandatory. And I know I need a proper vent, especially because of ice build-up and back-flow, right?

(I want to make sure I know what I'm saying when I call the landlords.)

Thank you all for participating in the coyote/bee/furnace saga!

Last edited by Arachnodisiac; 05-19-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Ahhh... the good ole Acme truck!

I should have thought of that today...

Thank you all for participating in the coyote/bee/furnace saga!
Hey, sounds like you're doing an awesome job...can't wait for the coyote pics...P.S. I've never shot a coyote either....and you're one up on me on the gophers too
Old 05-19-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishin' View Post
Hey, sounds like you're doing an awesome job...can't wait for the coyote pics...P.S. I've never shot a coyote either....and you're one up on me on the gophers too

You're welcome to come for gophers anytime.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:31 AM

On the furnace some people don't use outside air for fresh air intake...just suck the cool air off the floor....on the bee's it don't take much of a opening for them to get in...spray foam is your friend!...yotes, I to have tried to call them from proximity of yard and I highly doubt that it will work, if your serious about getting rid of them some sort of bait will be your best bet...not the most ethical but extremely effective! Good luck
Old 05-20-2012, 06:46 AM

take the dogs out to the middle of the feild and chain them to a stake. rub strycnine thouroghly into the dogs coats. your coyotes wont be far from the dogs come morning.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:28 AM

IF you leave the bait out make sure it's ties to something or they will just take it.

Just get a bucket, and put your scrap food in it for a few days, stick a chain in it and fill some water in it, freeze then tie the chain to a fence post and leave it outside. It'll stink and they can't drag it away.

But if you shot at them you probably won't see them again. I shotgunned a pair here months ago unfortunately just birdshot, enough to scare the crap out of them. They haven't come back since. Haven't even seen any come even close to our property anymore.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I will get my coyote when I've earned it, and not a second before. But I will get it.
I have no doubt. I haven't offered any advice cause I believe you are more then capable of figuring it out. You post only reinforces that belief.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:13 AM

Awwww... Thanks Keg.

I'll certainly keep an eye out. I'd sort of figured out their daily route, so I'll see if I can intercept them somewhere else.

I'll hold off on baiting right now, until I learn how much I've altered their routine.