Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
I started driving 18 wheelers on the FARM, legally at 18 (when I got my Class 1 with Air Brakes) but more like 16.

Does that qualify me for an opinion ?

TBD

PS ... also I've operated loaders, excavators, bulldozers, what have you driven ?
All I meant was until you have worked both sides of the fence its pretty hard to make or have a solid opinion. It wasnt in any way shape or frorm a dig at what you can operate,I am sure you are good at what you do.
I have operated equipment for both private and government,have you ?
Old 12-05-2013, 05:39 PM

It's always so cute when pub. sector employee's attempt to compare their wages with what they fantasize they'd make in the private sector. They actually assume they'd get hired in the private sector or be able to hold a job in the private sector. So cute!

Meanwhile, all of you liberal reford voters thought she'd screw everyone else except you, didn't you? Welcome to the party. We knew you'd be late, but we knew you'd be coming, and we knew you'd be surprised. Surprise!
Old 12-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Banned

Default well PUT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suka View Post
It's always so cute when pub. sector employee's attempt to compare their wages with what they fantasize they'd make in the private sector. They actually assume they'd get hired in the private sector or be able to hold a job in the private sector. So cute!

Meanwhile, all of you liberal reford voters thought she'd screw everyone else except you, didn't you? Welcome to the party. We knew you'd be late, but we knew you'd be coming, and we knew you'd be surprised. Surprise!
when the unions predominately voted Redford IN --- now we have to listen to them whine ....
Old 12-05-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
when the unions predominately voted Redford IN --- now we have to listen to them whine ....
I think you would be suprised at the number of union members who voted WR,regretfully not enough but some did.
Myself I am a AUPE member and I actually went door knocking for our WR candidate, ( he won our riding )so dont tar us all with the same brush
Old 12-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Banned

Default rottie - truckers never quit until combines stopped for the night ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
All I meant was until you have worked both sides of the fence its pretty hard to make or have a solid opinion. It wasnt in any way shape or frorm a dig at what you can operate,I am sure you are good at what you do.
I have operated equipment for both private and government,have you ?
Dad was usually on the combine crew ( and that was his crop out in the field ) ....

drove truck for private company - hauling gravel 6:30 am - 9 pm 6 days a week May - June - July - Aug (made a lot of money for a young kid) wheels did not stop turning outside of 30 min lunch - NO COFFEE breaks.

From what I've seen in Calgary RE calgary union road construction work / repairs / track crossings - they should FIRE the lot of 'em and OUTSOURCE !

... there's no reason a perfectly good cup of coffee needs to bounce out of it's caddy on to my seat everytime I cross an LRT intersection.

Deplorable !
Old 12-05-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I started driving 18 wheelers on the FARM, legally at 18 (when I got my Class 1 with Air Brakes) but more like 16.

Does that qualify me for an opinion ?

TBD

PS ... also I've operated loaders, excavators, bulldozers, what have you driven ?
Gee, and I've driven cars on roads for 40 years, so I must know alot about highway maintenance.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Gee, and I've driven cars on roads for 40 years, so I must know alot about highway maintenance.
Thank you Okie
Old 12-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Banned

Default Oki are you almost 60 ?

did I get that right sir ?
Old 12-05-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
pls tell me I'm wrong.
I'm ALWAYS telling you you're wrong. LOL

But yup, more education AND life experience than you, sonny.

Though I rarely use the words "almost 60". A few years yet before that happens.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
did I get that right sir ?
HAHAHA edited too late! LOL
And "sir"????? you drinking already? LOL
Old 12-05-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Dad was usually on the combine crew ( and that was his crop out in the field ) ....

drove truck for private company - hauling gravel 6:30 am - 9 pm 6 days a week May - June - July - Aug (made a lot of money for a young kid) wheels did not stop turning outside of 30 min lunch - NO COFFEE breaks.

From what I've seen in Calgary RE calgary union road construction work / repairs / track crossings - they should FIRE the lot of 'em and OUTSOURCE !

... there's no reason a perfectly good cup of coffee needs to bounce out of it's caddy on to my seat everytime I cross an LRT intersection.

Deplorable !
Hahaha yeah like driving a truck is so frickin' hard. My gosh the skill and sweat that must go into that. At 16 I helped built a golf course by hand. Raking and shovelling for acres and acres. 6 sometimes 7 days a week 10-14 hours a day in all weather. Pure physical hell. So frickin' what. It doesn't mean I know everything. Doesn't mean I know any details about a city worker or what anyone else deals with day to day. Yeah there are certainly some lazy city workers just as there are plenty of lazy non-union oilfield workers etc. How the hell do you know what other issues they deal with...like pesky operating budgets.

If you gave a city worker the same fancy equipment and materials budget an oilsands guy gets I have a feeling you'd see a little less potholes around eh. Oh but unlike the oilsands guy who makes 6 figures for staring at his button hole maybe this city worker should be taking a pay cut to allow for the purchase of asphalt lol. Its always greener on the other side isn't it.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:46 PM
Banned

Default So elkster ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
Hahaha yeah like driving a truck is so frickin' hard. My gosh the skill and sweat that must go into that. At 16 I helped built a golf course by hand. Raking and shovelling for acres and acres. 6 sometimes 7 days a week 10-14 hours a day in all weather. Pure physical hell. So frickin' what. It doesn't mean I know everything. Doesn't mean I know any details about a city worker or what anyone else deals with day to day. Yeah there are certainly some lazy city workers just as there are plenty of lazy non-union oilfield workers etc. How the hell do you know what other issues they deal with...like pesky operating budgets.

If you gave a city worker the same fancy equipment and materials budget an oilsands guy gets I have a feeling you'd see a little less potholes around eh. Oh but unlike the oilsands guy who makes 6 figures for staring at his button hole maybe this city worker should be taking a pay cut to allow for the purchase of asphalt lol. Its always greener on the other side isn't it.
... your telling us a gov't crew is more efficient than a TOP notch private operator ?
Old 12-05-2013, 06:47 PM

No I'm not. But do you think every private operator is top notch?
Old 12-05-2013, 06:50 PM
Banned

Old 12-05-2013, 06:50 PM
Banned

Default ... think about it

Quote:
No I'm not. But do you think every private operator is top notch?
with the money they've got budgeted they could tender this work and hire the BEST of the BEST - make a part of the compensation performance based.

TBD

PS ..... ya know what my biggest pet peeve is with city workers out doing road construction ?

Sign placement - boys place the CONSTRUCTION signs before the last turn-off intersection ....

Last edited by TBD; 12-05-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
... your telling us a gov't crew is more efficient than a TOP notch private operator ?
Why pick "top notch" operators to compare to? How about a really poor private operator? I'm sure there are some of each out there, right?

I've seen some provincial campgrounds turned over to private operators..... scary bad.

Of course private services can work. I just can't stand this "Private is always better or more efficient, as a matter of principle" talk. YOu have to evaluate on a case by case basis.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Banned

Default agreed ....

Quote:
Why pick "top notch" operators to compare to? How about a really poor private operator? I'm sure there are some of each out there, right?

I've seen some provincial campgrounds turned over to private operators..... scary bad.

Of course private services can work. I just can't stand this "Private is always better or more efficient, as a matter of principle" talk. YOu have to evaluate on a case by case basis.
but private industry as a way of regenerating itself - the bad operators will get hired once - twice if their lucky - THEN STRAIGHT OUT OF BUSINESS.

In due course the gov't will have a list of reliable, top notch operators they can rely on AND a group of smaller newer companies competing to get a chance to do the work (keeps the price being paid FAIR for TAX payers)

TBD

PS .... I know we would need to keep the tendering system transparent, maybe on-line so there'd be civic oversight - don't want to have bridges falling down and organized crime like we've seen with Montreal.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
but private industry as a way of regenerating itself - the bad operators will get hired once - twice if their lucky - THEN STRAIGHT OUT OF BUSINESS.

In due course the gov't will have a list of reliable, top notch operators they can rely on AND a group of smaller newer companies competing to get a chance to do the work (keeps the price paid fair for TAX payers)

TBD
Not in this province. Its hard for construction company's to fill seats in many areas. That's how we get people from Mexico operating graders in road construction because the Canadian company had a job fair there. Then some large unionized private companies have no choice.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
It is common knowledge that public sector employees make more money and enjoy benefits significantly greater than private sector employees.

Add to the mix that one in four employees in Canada work for the public sector. That means the other underpaid three in four employees in the private sector have to pay for someone that makes more than them.

Add powerful public labour unions and the funding of huge pension funds and a government starts getting fiscally into trouble.

If you do not wnat to be like a PIGS as seen in Europe something has to be done.
I am thinking you mean Greece....lots of public uproar there over austerity measures but that system was not sustainable when people retire at 55 with a full governement pension.

A good north american example is Detroit hell the city is in bankruptcy FFS.17 billion in debt and with a dwindling tax base.You can buy a house in old Detroit for less than 10 grand but you sure dont want to live there.

The unions should have been roped in 10 years ago and I am all in favour of this as the pay and benefits of publicly employed tax payer paid unionized employees has been off the scale for far too long.

FTH
Old 12-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suka View Post

I'm 33 years old and have worked for the city for a little over a year. Do you think I haven't worked in the private sector before ?
Old 12-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Banned

Quote:

I have already provided proof thr private isn't more efficient than public yet nobody commented on it, it's almost like people only read and believe what they already believe.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Banned

Why do people think if you pay someone from a tax base that money is gone ?

I'm pretty sure I spend almost all my money on day to day things, you know mortgages and bills and groceries, the money I get paid goes back into the economy.same goes for cops and firefighters and army etc.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:

In due course the gov't will have a list of reliable, top notch operators they can rely on AND a group of smaller newer companies competing to get a chance to do the work (keeps the price being paid FAIR for TAX payers)

TBD

PS .... I know we would need to keep the tendering system transparent, maybe on-line so there'd be civic oversight - don't want to have bridges falling down and organized crime like we've seen with Montreal.
In a dream world where everyone is a top notch operator. Reality is there are only so many top operators in public or private sector. Both public and private employers/employees tend to get complacent and/or demanding with success and job demand. Private sector is hardly the panacea. If jobs are plentiful and good workers limited its amazing how quickly the price goes up for less and less lower quality work. Its hardly a union only phenomena.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
I have already provided proof thr private isn't more efficient than public yet nobody commented on it, it's almost like people only read and believe what they already believe.
Where did you provide proof Ali?
Old 12-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Where did you provide proof Ali?
When I mentioned about the story of garbage removal in Edmonton.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Banned

What is Blue and White and sleeps Eight?

Answer: A City of Edmonton engineering truck.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:25 PM
Banned

Default Elkster --- you didn't notice

Quote:
In a dream world where everyone is a top notch operator. Reality is there are only so many top operators in public or private sector. Both public and private employers/employees tend to get complacent and/or demanding with success and job demand. Private sector is hardly the panacea. If jobs are plentiful and good workers limited its amazing how quickly the price goes up for less and less lower quality work. Its hardly a union only phenomena.
The BOOMs over, there's lots of operators to chose from ...
Old 12-05-2013, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
The city of Edmonton is in a major recruitment campaign now. They even have a Facebook page set up. I know in my little department alone of 30 some guys/girls we are 7 people short. Through guys transferring and quitting an getting fired ( yes it's possible ). We are looking for 3 people right now and will be lucky to fill the positions. So let's cut the pay an benefits and pension and see how hard it will be to attract people then.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
The BOOMs over, there's lots of operators to chose from ...
Where is this boom over ?
Old 12-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
What is Blue and White and sleeps Eight?

Answer: A City of Edmonton engineering truck.
So who do you hate more unions or Redford ?