Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Has it ever seriously been a problem? Why do we allow city people to drive on country roads where they have no business being?

Farmers I know have at least $2million of liability insurance most have $5 million. That covers us. How about the PL & PD on your 82 civic hatchback how much liability is on the one?

PAPERS PLEASE!
There are some restrictions in place aren't there?

Like they aren't supposed to be on the highway at night?

I understand the need to move equipment and lets face it...that farm was there before the highway but... some of those darn things are all but invisible until they are in your headlights...

I thought there were only supposed to be hitting highways during daylight hours...
Old 10-08-2012, 07:55 PM

Default Tail-gating

Used to speed everywhere, always in a hurry. Had to get there fast. Even built a 73 chev 1/2 ton for the drag strip in Calgary. Finally came to the realization that nobody, including me is going to get out of here alive. I drive the speed limit now and no longer rush to the end. Please do not tailgate me or you might learn an important lesson, including regret.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:15 PM

My pet peeve is truck drivers, especially illiterate ones who don`t know when to use saw or seen.......
Old 10-08-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
There are some restrictions in place aren't there?

Like they aren't supposed to be on the highway at night?

I understand the need to move equipment and lets face it...that farm was there before the highway but... some of those darn things are all but invisible until they are in your headlights...

I thought there were only supposed to be hitting highways during daylight hours...
That is a good question. I "assume" you know what that means. That if the farm vehicle has all the marker lights, reflectors etc. that any other large load needs the farmer should be OK. There is still old stuff around without all the new lighting systems that probably shouldn't be on the roads at night, without pilot vehicles. Common sense I'd think, but that plays right into assuming things.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 10-08-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Here's a novel idea, how about during seeding and harvest we realise that farmers are driving around and BE COURTEOUS and PLAN ACCORDINGLY.
And yes it cuts both ways.

Oh, and when you spot some farm equipment up ahead, it's a safe bet that he's not doing 100 so slow the hell down before you reach his ass end. I'm not a farmer, but I've learned the rocket science of driving with them.
If your talking to me,i said "a hill with a grade in it",there's absolutly no way to know there's a farmer going 15km'hr in those little dips,and suddenly there just there on the hwy. Not a safe thing to mix 2 such speeds together,it's like having grandma running in the same marathon as the olympics,doesn't belong.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyropete View Post
My pet peeve is truck drivers, especially illiterate ones who don`t know when to use saw or seen.......
I saw a fourwheeler hit the ditch after he seen my finger out the window !!!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Used to have, lets say brighter than normal lights years ago. Had a guy once, could see he had very bright lights for miles before we got close together. He desided to turn his brights on before we passed and i had a feeling he would so my foot was on the switch. Well he did and needless to say, I had 110 watt bulbs in my brights and all I saw in my mirror was him swirving over the hiway behind me. Becarefull who you are going to fool with.
Just watch your self as you sound like your revengefull.

Get rid of those color changing glasses, I have the same problem with mine. Just as you get up to the car or truck they change and then the light is gone. You are left with sun glasses on in the dark for a few seconds.
Not vengeful at all,just a dude out on the hiway at night getting headaches & really sore eyes with those hid's. I'm just glad your feel safe with those sunlamps even though no empathy is dolled out as you pass folks like me and bullying such eyes to hunt for the white line on the right to stay straight on the road..but, as long as your safe i guess that's all that matters.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
If your talking to me,i said "a hill with a grade in it",there's absolutly no way to know there's a farmer going 15km'hr in those little dips,and suddenly there just there on the hwy. Not a safe thing to mix 2 such speeds together,it's like having grandma running in the same marathon as the olympics,doesn't belong.
I was speaking more in general than to you directly, I can definitely see the problem there.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
The other thing that bugs me is drivers who decide they HAVE to pass, just when I start sanding a slippery corner. I know it sounds nuts but it happens several times each shift, each winter.

People, when it's slippery I am going to sand every corner from corner sign to corner sign, and I'm not shutting my sander off to let you pass. That would lay a trap for the motorists behind you. The same applies on the bigger hills.
Remember, when I shut my sander off, I leave a patch of ice for others to spin out on.

I will shut it off when doing so won't leave a trap for others to fall in to and if it's safe for you to pass.

And when I signal you that it's safe to pass, please pass safely as quickly as you can so I can get back to making the highway safer for others and for you should you return this way.

And sorry about not hitting the switch on time when I met you the other day. Put in a claim, I will sign it and you will get a new windshield at no cost to you.

Please consider, I have anywhere between thirty and fifty switches leavers and knobs to pay attention to. I have cars coming at me at widely differing speeds, it's hard to judge how much space I need to leave them, and I have anywhere from one to several dozen cars trucks buses ext. trying to push me down the highway and many of them would rather risk death then to be one second late for their club meeting. And I have to steer a straight line and make sure my wing clears all sign posts and guard rails while I'm trying to guess just how long it will take my sand to stop flying after I hit the switch.
Sometimes I miss the switch or misjudge the distance. But I'm not out to get you, okay?
Be patient with me, I'm trying to make the road safer for you.

Remember too, it costs me nothing. I will be glad to own up to spraying you with sand if I did it. Unless you call me an idiot and threaten to rearrange my face. Then I might pretend I never saw you before in my life.

Or unless you did something foolish like trying to pass in a no passing zone or in a place where shutting off the sander would leave a trap for others.
If you do that, I'll tell the boss exactly what happened and he will deny your claim.

Be safe out there people. Lets share the road. It belongs to all of us.
Besides, some day you might need my help or I might need your help.
It's a Bxxxh to be hanging upside down in the ditch in an overturned vehicle while car after car whizzes by.
Thanks!!
For the 1st time ever i aquired knowledge tonight of what you guys do,i've never heard it from your POV before,now i know!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 PM

WOW....lots of issues(anger)! Glad I live where I do.
Generally meet someone every 15 minutes or so. Usually wave at one another, heck sometimes even stop and chat.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
I was speaking more in general than to you directly, I can definitely see the problem there.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterupnorth View Post
WOW....lots of issues(anger)! Glad I live where I do.
Generally meet someone every 15 minutes or so. Usually wave at one another, heck sometimes even stop and chat.
Oh that thread is coming,this is a hi-way pet peeve thread however.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:51 AM

I often wonder at some people's being scared to drive in general, and being out on the roads. See it a lot when it is raining, or at night. There they are, at 80km or less, in a 100km zone, in the middle lane, both hands glued to the wheel in a death grip. Nothing wrong with the road, on a lit highway.
Strikes me as some of these people probably ought to have a night driving restriction, maybe even do. People have to get back and forth to work, but, if it is really that scary for them to drive, please don't.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:09 AM

Honk if you love Jesus.......Text if you want to meet him!!
Old 10-09-2012, 11:15 AM

Default Highway Peeves

I'm pretty relaxed about the entire driving and speeding ethics of others. I have in the past exceeded the posted limit, still do and probably will in the future. But, I have also spent some time upside down in a farmers field in Dec after a little too much speed and some freezing rain to give myself a reality check.
I don't mind farmers and equipment, they've got a living to make and at the end of the day what they grow I eat. Heck, I've even got stuck behind a cattle drive between Paradise Valley and Lloydminster, try explaining that to your boss The same goes for oversize loads, pilot trucks, B-trains and service rigs. No worries, you all have "Pushes" and "Dispatchers" that are watching clocks. I'd rather let you head on by then get in the way of 80,000 lbs and bad case of brake fade.
My only concern / peeve is when I pull over to help some stranded folks change a tire or give directions. Could you please slow down or move over half a lane?? I know I'm not a registered "Emergency" worker. But it sure would be nice if while I'm changing some senior citizens tire you backed your rig down a notch or better yet...pulled over and gave a hand. Better two middle aged folks battling with a rusted spare than just one guy.
Thanks and drive safe eh!
Old 10-09-2012, 11:35 AM

I put 200km on my truck every single day....coming into Edmonton on the Yellowhead.

you want a display of ignorance, terror, self indulgence and just outright mayhem give that a try.

Undue care, texting/reading and general idiocy add to traffic problems. But none of those are as common as people who think cruising the speed limit is a free pass to use the left lane. Some how reaching the maximum speed limit waives your obligation to move to the right.

They should change the Maximum 110km/h signs to say Minimum 110km/h.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:46 AM

1) HID lights... my brothers truck has it figured out with use of rally lighting Nothing like being blasted with a taste of your own medicine

2) Tailgaters - Kiss my bumper, I dare yah! WAS THAT A RABBIT? OMG! BRAKE!

If you ride my @$$ when I'm passing someone, don't expect me to move over either because I wont.

3) Speeders in playground/school/construction zones - I tend to go a bit above the limit (and those damn tickets suck!) but show some respect - slow it down when workers are present, kids are around - or schools in session. Its normally only for 30 seconds - 1 minute.

4) People who don't yield to emergency vehicles.

5) People who park to close to corners in residential areas - making it impossible to see pedestrians/other motorists.

---

I do really enjoy driving though!
Old 10-09-2012, 11:48 AM

Default People that don't know where they are going

My Biggest pet peeve is people that expect the world to alter their plans because they don't know where they are going. On the highway it can be very dangerous because they dramatically cut across lanes to get their exit. In the city it's more of a pet peeve. People that block two lanes of traffic waiting for a spot to open that will allow them in the lane they need. It's the city moron, go around the block and get in the right lane this time.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:09 PM

[QUOTE=hillbillyreefer;1638996][QUOTE=tri777;1638964]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Has it ever been a problem? Why do we allow city people to drive on country roads where they have no business being.

Idiots hitting farm equipment isn't the farmers fault, any more than you being a hunter means you are responsible for poaching. Come on. What are these issues, post a few examples if you would please. I enjoy slapping down straw man arguements.

OK, we have established that insurance isn't an issue, now please explain how having an itty bitty license plate on a massive combine or tractor is going to prevent a moron from running into it. Most farm equipment is a minimum of 2m wide by 3m tall with flashing lights, I'm sorry but if you can't see that you shouldn't be allowed on the road. It isn't the farmers fault you are stupid.

Ok here is one, My good friends 17 year old daughter was killed on a road because some farmer was roading his swather at 11:00 pm in the pitch black with no lights to the rear. no waring lights whatsoever. As for my friends daughter he cell phone records were pulled and she had the phone turned off and was going home to her uncle's farm from work. She was not speeding or anything, just plain could not see the swather until she was under the back end. Why this guy was moving in the dark with even a warning vehicle has still not been answered.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:24 PM

Impatient Drivers....

A little bit of patience in the other driver is always appreciated. Until that driver is in front of you!

The speed limit is the Maximum. The left lane is to pass. if you are not passing then stay in right lane.

We really have horribly impatient drivers and I have seen many of them decide to remove themselves off the planet through being impatient. The tragedy is that they also seem to take someone else with them.

I was in BC. Speed limit is maximum 90 and we were in a line of traffic all doing about 85, including corners. In rearviwe mirror I see jacked up pickup with no front plate come barrelling along and cuts into line of traffic in front of me but because they have no idea how to corner slows down to 50 in a corner he could have taken safely at limit.... then back on the fuel in the next straight... to slam on binders at next corner....Almost every instance there is an AB driver at the helm of HMS Stupidity.

It was also interesting for me as it had been years since I was back to BC. We saw that distance to destination was 240k and my wife automatically says oh that is only just over 2 hours away. I said well... this is BC so it really is 3 and a bit hours away... she was shocked but it was true. We are spoiled in AB with twin highways, high speed limits and cheap fuel and this menatlity leads to mayhem.

Impatience!... I have had people tailgate me and yes I get annoyed at the guy that decides to overtake a rig at a slow pace holding up traffic in left hand lane but in reality it is my attitude that needs to be put in check.

After all if I had to walk that distance... it would change my outlook!...
Old 10-09-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
If you ride my @$$ when I'm passing someone, don't expect me to move over either because I wont.
so after you are done passing you wont move over out of spite?
Old 10-09-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
That's one of the issues right there. He won't move over to allow that truck to pass
Old 10-09-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick29 View Post
Agree x 100 , yet people still let them in. , don't understand. People play dumb when they see lane closure
Ppl don't play dumb, they are dumb - just watch them - they look soooo surprised then they stop at the sign... OMG, what are those orange things?!?!? lol Some of them don't even notice it till they are right there...
Old 10-09-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Just the other day a truck refused to go over 85km creating a train of cars..
The speed limit is the limit, not the prescribed minimum.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:14 PM

Clear roads with good weather, you can be ticketed for going too slow.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:48 PM

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

I have almost as many peeves as the grand total here - too many to list.

I have a '87 Suburban that still goes like "heck". It can easily still go 130 kliks with just my thumb and forfinger on the wheel. But I don't like to push it because of its age and maybe other issues, so I keep it at 80, and you bet I stay in the slow lane.

If I'm doing 80 on a 2-lane with a wide shoulder, I got the common courtesy to move over for faster traffic.
If the shoulder is too narrow, I'll get my @$$ up to at least the speed limit, or maybe 5 kliks faster.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:28 PM

People who want to pass but are just to stupid to do it properly. Tailgate, tailgate, tailgate for miles get a clear spot in oncoming traffic, pullover then slowly speed up. They stay in the passing lane for like 30 secs and usually have to cut off the vehicle they are passing cause someone is now coming. Can you not anticipate the upcoming lull in traffic, pick up speed before it is safe then when clear go by.

It takes me about 3 seconds to pass.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
if you aren't on my ass, I'll get outta the way no problem. Its very simple if you are faster, and someone is passing, ease off, and they will move. Don't fly up and hump their bumper! Do that, and I'll make your day
Old 10-09-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Don't fly up and hump their bumper! Do that, and I'll make your day

We only drive trucks, so there's nothing funnier than some moron in a little pee-pot of a Obama-mobile riding my bumper to "intimidate" me into going faster.

If I ever hafta hit the brakes hard.................
Old 10-10-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
if you aren't on my ass, I'll get outta the way no problem. Its very simple if you are faster, and someone is passing, ease off, and they will move. Don't fly up and hump their bumper! Do that, and I'll make your day
i come up behind many folks every day and I always leave some room and give em time to move over...so we agree there.

The problem is probably a third of them dont move over even when done passing. So you move up a little closer, ride the rumble strip a bit etc...give them every chance to see you and adjust accordingly and they still hold their ground.

Pass on the right and suddenly you are in a highway drag race as they "make your day"