Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2021, 07:43 PM

Government is providing back door access to water for the coal miners

https://thenarwhal.ca/alberta-coal-m...-oldman-river/
Old 02-03-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffy71 View Post
Let's add to the fun. By most credible reports the glaciers are shrinking. Fast. Doesn't matter what you think the reason is. Don't bother with that. But if they keep shrinking, within our kids lifetime, water will become THE issue in southern alberta.

Are we still sure mining is a good option?
Exactly where is this “glacier” that would effect the mine in the Crowsnest Pass?
Old 02-03-2021, 08:17 PM

There is no glacier right above that mine. But they feed a lot of the fresh water into our rivers every year. If fresh water resources are going to get scarcer no matter what we do, shouldn't that be taken into consideration in general terms, when we review activity that will potentially contaminate or use freshwater in this province?
Old 02-04-2021, 12:22 AM

So they knew they were going to rescind this over a year ago and we just found out? Dirty. Dirty.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/news...?ocid=msedgntp
Old 02-04-2021, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
So they knew they were going to rescind this over a year ago and we just found out? Dirty. Dirty.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/news...?ocid=msedgntp

Sad but not surprising.

We dont need no stinking mines in our beautiful and limited amount of mountain/foothills!!!!!!!!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:56 AM

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...losed-despite/

Monitoring stations on Alberta waterways

Article Highlights:
- funding for monitoring has been steadily reducing since 2015
- 2019 5 year plan shows stations on 2 rivers and a creek polluted with selenium were mothballed
- only one monitoring station is left: on the McLeod River 200 kms downstream from the old Cheviot mine
-AER funding was cut by 22% last year

World class monitoring? Strict regulatory process? Da maff idn’t addin nup
Old 02-04-2021, 09:05 AM

Here is a rough draft of a letter I've penned to dear old JK.

Dear Premier Kenney

I have worked in the resource sector most of my life, but I’m also an avid outdoorsman. I’m concerned with the proposed new coal mines. I’ll tell you why.

We have several existing and “reclaimed” mine sites in Alberta that have issues with selenium, amongst other things. Despite being reclaimed, the selenium issue continues. If that wasn’t bad enough, budget cuts have removed the monitoring of these contaminated rivers and streams breaking promises and trust. Nothing that has been made publicly available addresses a permanent solution to either the contamination or the monitoring issue.

When we can’t look after the previously promised monitoring and reclamation, how can we as Albertan’s possibly trust “things will be different this time”? Industry has left the province and therefore the tax payer on the hook for billion and billions of dollars of environmental liability and the provincial government doesn’t seem to have the willpower or fotitude to hold them accountable. This plays right into the hands of the anti pipeline protesters, anti oil protesters and generally, everyone with an axe to grind with Alberta resource industry. Frankly, I’m starting to understand why.

There’s an old saying “Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me”. Albertans have been fooled by the government and industry so many times… the trust is gone. Do you understand Mr. Kenney? I, and many of the public, do not trust you or the foreign and domestically owned companies that you pander to. The trust is gone. If you cannot regain my trust, you cannot regain my vote.

So, fix the monitoring issue, and start on a full blown plan to permanently fix the issue. Implement that plan. THEN I may consider supporting the proposed coal mines. Until then, you have lost my confidence and my support.

Sincerely,

Last edited by Iron Brew; 02-04-2021 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Nice to just paint concerned people w/“tree huggy” labels.

Lots of good ole false dichotomy arguments.

Iron brew I appreciate your perspective. Thank you.

The selenium in the wells..... ‘just one or just two” or whatever... “it’s barely reaching concerning levels”
These are the words of someone trying to downplay/whitewash. Let’s be clear....

There’s no solid way to prevent or mitigate it.

So...... if we pair that with the suggestion that ‘they’re working on it’ and let’s just have faith......

No. We need:

1. A solution that is independently scientifically proven to not wreck our water supply or whatever.
2. If we are going to ‘let er buck’ with the ‘promise’ that they’ll develop something..... then the mitigation/reclamation bond best be in the 10-100s of millions if not billions....

We have all these unused wells sittin around..... not gonna get cleaned up.... unless taxpayer does it.

The Pass has a lot of areas that cannot be reclaimed due to mining activity..... lots n lots n lots and we just gotta live with em.

Many many large corporations clearly demonstrate a severe desire to NOT clean up their messes. Why? Cause capitalism man.

Anyone who claims that S.Alta does not have a water problem is just being silly.

CNP aquifer is tapped out. This is according to the Alta governments OWN studies from the ‘90s and 2000’s

Grassy mountain mine co. Has a looong track record of build it.. sell it... take off..

No own... not their problem if problems hop up.

I get a chuckle that there’s a perception that the folks in the Pass are super behind this. Many are not. We have a very very long memory of mine owners basically screwing people desperate for work.

Fun fact... 1925 Blairemore Town council election ejected Communist Party members to Town Council... this was a statement by the people against the abusive work-health policies of the mining companies.
..... abs you though Notley as a protest vote was sumpthin.... heh.

You scientifically prove that you e developed a system to deal with the selenium ..... go ahead, reopen grassy.

But get your needed water elsewhere.

‘If ya dint like it stop usin it’ is one of the stupidest retorts possible.

Not anti Coal or Oil..... VERY MUCH anti corporate negligence, very against lackadaisical due diligence.... Very Very against neglecting fiduciary duty.
Best thing I have seen online today. Thanks Bessie.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Here is a rough draft of a letter I've penned to dear old JK.

Dear Premier Kenney

I have worked in the resource sector most of my life, but I’m also an avid outdoorsman. I’m concerned with the proposed new coal mines. I’ll tell you why.

We have several existing and “reclaimed” mine sites in Alberta that have issues with selenium, amongst other things. Despite being reclaimed, the selenium issue continues. If that wasn’t bad enough, budget cuts have removed the monitoring of these contaminated rivers and streams breaking promises and trust. Nothing that has been made publicly available addresses a permanent solution to either the contamination or the monitoring issue.

When we can’t look after the previously promised monitoring and reclamation, how can we as Albertan’s possibly trust “things will be different this time”? Industry has left the province and therefore the tax payer on the hook for billion and billions of dollars of environmental liability and the provincial government doesn’t seem to have the willpower or fotitude to hold them accountable. This plays right into the hands of the anti pipeline protesters, anti oil protesters and generally, everyone with an axe to grind with Alberta resource industry. Frankly, I’m starting to understand why.

There’s an old saying “Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me”. Albertans have been fooled by the government and industry so many times… the trust is gone. Do you understand Mr. Kenney? I, and many of the public, do not trust you or the foreign and domestically owned companies that you pander to. The trust is gone. If you cannot regain my trust, you cannot regain my vote.

So, fix the monitoring issue, and start on a full blown plan to permanently fix the issue. Implement that plan. THEN I may consider supporting the proposed coal mines. Until then, you have lost my confidence and my support.

Sincerely,
Nice letter. Let us know if you send it and get a reply, that doesn't say deleted! JK is know to delete letters that oppose his pandering.

BW
Old 02-04-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Nice letter. Let us know if you send it and get a reply, that doesn't say deleted! JK is know to delete letters that oppose his pandering.

BW
I’m actually mailing it by Canada Post. Hard to delete, must be circular filed.

I read a stat somewhere about the “equivalent” number of votes for mailed letters. It’s huge. I don’t remember it though.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:54 AM

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pm...e-to-intervene
Old 02-07-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
This is why I never listen to the news... They make it sound like everyone in Alberta is against mining, this is simply not true, in fact the majority are for it. It’s to bad the news couldn’t just be the news these days.
Old 02-07-2021, 11:29 AM

Well

Glad you cleared that all up for us.
Thanks for doing that complete survey...

You are wrong actually.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 02-07-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Well

Glad you cleared that all up for us.
Thanks for doing that complete survey...

You are wrong actually.
Lol!
Old 02-08-2021, 11:40 AM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ence-1.5905484

Lets see if they really plan on dealing with the issues seriously.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:14 PM

It's nice to see them do the right thing. Too bad it takes a public outcry to get it done.

It would have been nice if they consulted the public first. Shows no leadership in our provincial government.

BW
Old 02-08-2021, 12:24 PM

It appears that maybe Kenney and his government is capable of learning after all. Seem to be starting to take a page out of Ralph's play book. I may actually un-cancel my UCP membership.

UCP

@UCPCaucus

Alberta’s government has listened to the concerns of Albertans and will reinstate the 1976 Coal Policy and consult with Albertans on a new, modern coal policy. More here: https://alberta.ca/release.cfm?xID=7723219A0121E-AE44-C247-C36E68DE88B98FB1

#ableg

Old 02-08-2021, 12:28 PM
Banned

I wonder what negative spin Snotley will post????
Old 02-08-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntwat View Post
I wonder what negative spin Snotley will post????
Probably the same one that many of us here believe - they got their PP slapped, they are going to pretend to consult and then do what they wanted in the first place. Why do I say that? Because these twits aren't Ralph, they are agenda driven, they don't give a rats patootie for our land or water, and they have shown this to be the case. This is step one. Placate the public, pretend to listen, then do what they wanted to anyway. I hope I'm wrong.

When they haven't dealt with the existing environmental issues from existing and past mines, why should we believe them? Let's get the monitoring back in place, and lets get the rehab going properly. Can they properly rehab? I'm not anti resource development, but lets do it right without the public being on the hook for the cleanup.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:27 PM

And Brian Jean's take. I wish he'd mentioned the existing issues with past coal mining, but...

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/...4-abc9d4bfc2b1
Old 02-08-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Probably the same one that many of us here believe - they got their PP slapped, they are going to pretend to consult and then do what they wanted in the first place. Why do I say that? Because these twits aren't Ralph, they are agenda driven, they don't give a rats patootie for our land or water, and they have shown this to be the case. This is step one. Placate the public, pretend to listen, then do what they wanted to anyway. I hope I'm wrong.

When they haven't dealt with the existing environmental issues from existing and past mines, why should we believe them? Let's get the monitoring back in place, and lets get the rehab going properly. Can they properly rehab? I'm not anti resource development, but lets do it right without the public being on the hook for the cleanup.
Have they signed contracts with the foreign investors that want the coal?

BW
Old 02-08-2021, 03:24 PM

Brian Jean for Premier

Please...?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 02-08-2021, 03:30 PM

Two applications for coal exploration approved after the 1976 policy was rescinded will be permitted to continue, but applications for additional exploration in former "Category 2" lands will be prohibited, pending what the government said will be "widespread consultations on a new coal policy."
They’re still allowing the companies they approved to mine the coal. They just now have news headings saying they reinstated the policy after they got what they wanted

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...Dq11kQ_0c8MjhA
Old 02-08-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Two applications for coal exploration approved after the 1976 policy was rescinded will be permitted to continue, but applications for additional exploration in former "Category 2" lands will be prohibited, pending what the government said will be "widespread consultations on a new coal policy."
They’re still allowing the companies they approved to mine the coal. They just now have news headings saying they reinstated the policy after they got what they wanted

Makes you want to pull your hair out, doesn't it ? This government has absolutely no sense of direction.

Grizz
Old 02-08-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:

Well now that really ****es me off. You can't trust a thing these guys say.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Well now that really ****es me off. You can't trust a thing these guys say.
I’m sure Trudeau & Notley would rather have the coal mined in China too. Way better than our ethically mined stuff here. Worked out soo well with procuring Vaccines too.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:34 PM

Well damn. Hopefully the proposed site on the Ram is still a possibility.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:07 PM
Banned

Just saw Notley on Global. She didn’t have a mask on. This pandemic has definitely been hard on her. She might want to leave the mask on!!!
Old 02-08-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Brian Jean for Premier

Please...?
I can get behind this. If the little cheat had t rigged the race he’d be premier

BW
Old 02-08-2021, 06:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Heres a map for the Isolation South project from the CBC article.

https://www.atrumcoal.com/projects/elan-project/

I couldn’t find a map for Cabin Ridge but the ridge itself is about 6km ENE of Oldman Falls and the Beehive PRA.

This is awful news for one of the most beautiful parts of the planet.