Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2012, 11:26 AM

I've dropped close to 40 lb in the past 4 months by eating a ketogenic diet. More reading about it below, but basically you replace the bulk of calories with fat instead of carbs. I eat <25 g carbs a day. It means no sugar or grains, but I find it much easier than any other diet I've tried in the past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet
Old 12-02-2012, 01:01 PM

I too have lost lots of weight at different times in my life and I used a variety of methods. I once dropped over 50 pounds in a matter of a few months but I wouldn't recommend the method I used that time, starvation.

Another time I lost a lot of weight quick but wouldn't recommend that method either...removing all your teeth.

I dropped about 12 pounds or so after when I was in the hospital in July and have kept it off since and there are two things I would suggest anybody do if they want to lose weight.

1) eat breakfast and don't eat after 6 or 7 at night. Evening eating was my problem for years.

2) get a pen and pad and keep track of what you eat and the calories. I started doing this to control the amount of protein I took in for weight lifting but soon discovered how much easier it makes it to adjust your caloric intake. It's like having a budget, if you don't realize where you're spending your money it's hard to save. Calories in/calories out...simple formula.

Congrats to the OP, good job.

"From my cold dead hands!"
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Thomas Jefferson
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often
and for the same reason." - Mark Twain
Old 12-02-2012, 03:18 PM

I've always been over weight since high school. I've dropped 50-60 lbs in the past quite easily but keeping it off has been impossible for me. I've done different diets with exercised combined, but always slowly went back to eating unhealthy and less exercise.
This September was our 25th wedding anniversary so my wife and I bought a couple cruiser type pedal bikes. We really enjoyed getting out and biking. At first we only went a few miles at a time. Between sore rear end and out of shape it was about all I could do. Slowly we were doing more and more until it got to cold to ride anymore. I enjoyed it so much that I bought a nice exercise bike to try and get in better shape for this summer. I have seen some great progress so far since I started.
I also started eating healthier. No more burgers, fries with gravy, chips, pop etc. I still eat everything (but junk food) just eating less portions and more times a day. The biggest difference to my eating habits is that I started eating cereal for breakfast first thing in the morning.
I have dropped 35 lbs so far and want to lose about 40 more.
This needs to be a life style change for life and I hope I can sustain it.
Jim
Old 12-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Banned

Stay on the bike Jim, it will transform your health and fitness.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
1) eat breakfast and don't eat after 6 or 7 at night. Evening eating was my problem for years.
x2

And eat frequent smaller meals through out the day.

Since starting my new job a month ago , Ive been able to get back on the fitness train, and eat better.

Back on my meal plans, supplement and exercise. Lost 12 pounds in 6 weeks, doing it the same way I always do.

Meals are

6am
10am
2pm
6pm

and 3 very small snack.. be it a handfull of almonds, handful of celery, carrots, etc at"

8am
12pm
4pm

I also ad a protein shake 2 times a day right now