Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-14-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
I agree Lefty , targets at this distance are one thing ,an animal at the same distance deserves more respect . Too much can go wrong when the " target" is capable of moving during flight of a bullet . Don't think we 'd have seen this vid clip if the animal had been gutshot and escaped .On these long shot claims all we see are success ,gotta be a few that end badly that never are seen by the public .
This ^
Old 08-14-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Are you guys ok with handgun hunting? Baiting? Tree stands? Hounds? Crossbows. High powered magnums for short range hunting?
I have no problem with a handgun hunter dropping a deer at 30 yards. If he starts lobbing handgun rounds at a deer 400 yards away when he has never consistently hit targets at tha range, then yeah, problem. The weapon isn't the issue here., responsibililty and training are.
The kid is shooting at over 1200 yards and is so inexperienced his dad has to remind him where to aim. Appears to have a team of people spotting for him and adjusting his scope... and the results are all on tape... misses, woundings, finally drops it. Kid's first moose and he couldn't find one closer than a kilometer away? It's just not a good example and certinly not something I'd be proud to post.

Now if our friend Rob Furlong went hunting and decided to take that shot, I don't think I'd have any objections. Its not what I consider huntng, but that's just a preference, not an ethical isue for me.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Chuck do you miss ever ?

have you shot a Ungulate over 500 yards?

whether its 75yds or 1200 yds its just hunting (some are more proficient)

the kids out here are gonging to 1600 yds and Edson new range has a 1600 yards range.. here is a couple very nice long range shots from the long range community
http://www.thrillon.com/tag/shooting...43-miles-2-3km

so this Long Range Hunting is just another way of hunting

no comment on my ethics

David
We are not talking about missing one shot by inches, in the video, there were at least two misses, likely three, out of four shots. Two of the misses were by feet. Two or three misses out of four shots should be a good indication that the shooter wasn't competent enough to be taking that shot.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:56 AM

Default All in all

Hey. Let's pull another crappy or questionable hunting video from the YouTube files and post it on here so people can bash each other. Sportsman like? I think not; but hey if you have nothing else to talk about.

Moving on. So many bit he hook.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterfisher View Post
Hey. Let's pull another crappy or questionable hunting video from the YouTube files and post it on here so people can bash each other. Sportsman like? I think not; but hey if you have nothing else to talk about.

Moving on. So many bit he hook.
Not speaking out about it....would be similar to endorsing it. If nonhunters understand that this sort of thing doesn't sit well with many hunters then they might understand that we aren't all out just for the kill and we respect our quarry.

LC
Old 08-14-2014, 11:32 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Meatheads.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-14-2014, 11:49 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I have no problem with a handgun hunter dropping a deer at 30 yards. If he starts lobbing handgun rounds at a deer 400 yards away when he has never consistently hit targets at tha range, then yeah, problem. The weapon isn't the issue here., responsibililty and training are.
The kid is shooting at over 1200 yards and is so inexperienced his dad has to remind him where to aim. Appears to have a team of people spotting for him and adjusting his scope... and the results are all on tape... misses, woundings, finally drops it. Kid's first moose and he couldn't find one closer than a kilometer away? It's just not a good example and certinly not something I'd be proud to post.

Now if our friend Rob Furlong went hunting and decided to take that shot, I don't think I'd have any objections. Its not what I consider huntng, but that's just a preference, not an ethical isue for me.

Sometimes you surprise me. but only sometimes.

Well said.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-14-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:

Well said, Oki.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 08-14-2014, 12:10 PM
Banned

Default forget as we get older..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Anything constructive to ad? LOL.

LC
You said it.Your post #9.Done with this topic and rant.LOL
Old 08-14-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
The ironic part of your above statement and Rob Furlong is that his record shot required 3 or 4 shots. He hit under the targets feet, and corrected. He then shot the backpack off of his target, and corrected. Then his 3rd shot dropped the target. (their may have been a 4th shot but don't hold me to that) The point being, that Rob Furlong, considered the world's best sniper still had to improvise and correct on the fly. When he pulled his trigger he was not certain of exactly where he was gonna hit. Granted, he was shooting out past twice the range of this kid, and probably respected his target less than you or I respect our targets while hunting.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:19 PM

The right thing to do is to get the kid to a distance he can't miss from. That goes for anyone else. That is based on experience. If that is a mile it's a mile. If it's 20 yards then it's 20 yards. Now I'm not stupid enough to overlook the fact that things could go wrong. But I am smart enough to know that 1000 yds of air space does not help things go right.

There is no doubt from the verbiage on that film that this clown watches too much TV.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-14-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
The ironic part of your above statement and Rob Furlong is that his record shot required 3 or 4 shots. He hit under the targets feet, and corrected. He then shot the backpack off of his target, and corrected. Then his 3rd shot dropped the target. (their may have been a 4th shot but don't hold me to that) The point being, that Rob Furlong, considered the world's best sniper still had to improvise and correct on the fly. When he pulled his trigger he was not certain of exactly where he was gonna hit. Granted, he was shooting out past twice the range of this kid, and probably respected his target less than you or I respect our targets while hunting.
You can't figure out the difference between shooting a Moose and shooting a human being in war time?

-Billy Molls
Old 08-14-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
You can't figure out the difference between shooting a Moose and shooting a human being in war time?
You should reread what I wrote. I am in no way condoning this. I pointed out that it was ironic that Okotokian would be fine with Rob making the shot and he still needs to correct. More to your point though I absolutely wrote that Rob would have less respect for his target than we should have for our targets while hunting. Reread what I wrote.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:35 PM

Default Energy

My thoughts are:

1. Is there enough energy to push through to vitals on a moose at 1300 yds with a .338? (Maybe just asking)

2. How in the hell are they going to get that moose out of there ...

Northern
Old 08-14-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
You should reread what I wrote. I am in no way condoning this. I pointed out that it was ironic that Okotokian would be fine with Rob making the shot and he still needs to correct. More to your point though I absolutely wrote that Rob would have less respect for his target than we should have for our targets while hunting. Reread what I wrote.
I don't think Rob would have needed to correct at this distance . I believe thats what Oki was saying .
Old 08-14-2014, 12:52 PM

The problem with the video is it is posted publicly. Many on here ranting about the poor sportsmanship. Going off about one shot kills and never shooting anything you are not sure to kill with one trigger pull. Yet we can wing shoot birds and pound out bullets on Varmints and not bat an eye even though there are no sure clean kills? Maybe we should have the laws changed so we only shoot ducks and geese on the ground with rifles and need to be with in 5 feet of a gopher with a shotgun to insure a clean kill? But that would not be sporting because it would be too easy.

I am always amazed at how we on this forum can adjust our "sporting ethics" to the life being pursued or for who is watching over our shoulder.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
I don't think Rob would have needed to correct at this distance . I believe thats what Oki was saying .
Yep, I stated that Rob's shot was twice the distance.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:37 PM

Guess all the supporters of long range shooting (not hunting) have never come across thr results of a poor shot at long range a few days later! I've seen the results too any times and can realize why game numbers can be going down despite low "harvest" numbers.
When taking a younger person out to be mentored, he should return from the field with a awareness of the hunting skills required to be a effective, ethical hunter! Without those skills and ethics he will only be leading to the downfall of legal hunting. The antis are watching us!
Old 08-14-2014, 01:52 PM

Well I guess that proves it. Berger bullets do kill moose.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:02 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Guess all the supporters of long range shooting (not hunting) have never come across thr results of a poor shot at long range a few days later! I've seen the results too any times and can realize why game numbers can be going down despite low "harvest" numbers.
When taking a younger person out to be mentored, he should return from the field with a awareness of the hunting skills required to be a effective, ethical hunter! Without those skills and ethics he will only be leading to the downfall of legal hunting. The antis are watching us!
They are watching as we bicker too! but then again it is healthy to discuss things...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-14-2014, 02:35 PM

Ive been guilty of doing the same thing in a gopher field but I would never consider shooting a big game animal at a distance that I have not practiced and confirmed my skills at. My personal distance is 300m. If I had somewhere else to practice and figure out my drop at further distances I may try that. Since I dont I wont. Here is an interesting question for those who do not like the shooting of big game animals at distances such as this one, would you feel the same about a coyote? I know Im guilt of pulling 3 moa over them and 10 feet infront just to see when they are running WFO across a field.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:35 PM

That rates in there with shooting a 30-30 win 94 at 400 yards down the cut lines.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
That rates in there with shooting a 30-30 win 94 at 400 yards down the cut lines.
Whats wrong with shooting 400 yds down a cut line with a 30 30?
Old 08-14-2014, 03:19 PM

If you're target shooting and have a good safe backstop etc then nothing. Since you are in the "Hunting Discussion" are of the forums, the discussion is about hunting. Now you must be asking what is wrong with hunting with a 30-30 at 400m down a cutline? Everything is wrong with that, it would have dropped almost 8' and has about 800 ft/lbs of energy. Its unethical and stupid.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
This is the type of "hunting" that completely infuriates me....feel free to those who can justify it to flame me....

That is a plain and simple poor display, that kid really had no business doing what he did....

Complete and utter BS. They should spend more time at the range and not **** around on a live target.

I would love to see those guys attempt to spot and stalk within 10 yards of a moose....that would be impressive.

My personal goal is one shot one kill no matter what the weapon or distance....they did not seem overly concerned with that. I wouldn't hunt with anyone who behaved like that....

LC
X2 on that Lefty, that was a BS hunt.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
If you're target shooting and have a good safe backstop etc then nothing. Since you are in the "Hunting Discussion" are of the forums, the discussion is about hunting. Now you must be asking what is wrong with hunting with a 30-30 at 400m down a cutline? Everything is wrong with that, it would have dropped almost 8' and has about 800 ft/lbs of energy. Its unethical and stupid.
Which animal is it unethical for? Moose Coyote Gopher Grouse or....
Who's ethics?
Why is it stupid? Maybe the shooter does not struggle in Math. Maybe he has shot that rifle at that distance a thousand times. Its not for us to judge, it is only the shooter who has to look in the mirror.
Its legal or its not.

read my sig. line- it's true.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Which animal is it unethical for? Moose Coyote Gopher Grouse or....
Who's ethics?
Why is it stupid? Maybe the shooter does not struggle in Math. Maybe he has shot that rifle at that distance a thousand times. Its not for us to judge, it is only the shooter who has to look in the mirror.
Its legal or its not.

read my sig. line- it's true.
I can see where your going with these comments. Try different speeds and fish near some weed beds. You will have better luck with your catch.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:45 PM

Looked more like long range target practice
Old 08-14-2014, 04:27 PM

I love banging steel at long range but at 1300 yards there are to many variables that come into play to make a "ethical" shot on live game. Just a 25 yard error in range at this distance results in about 30" difference in point of impact with my 6.5-284.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:25 PM

A good candidate for Sniper School..the US Military can always use someone who can hit a target at 1200+yds.

As for long range shooting...or hunting if you prefer...I'm not a fan. Not saying it's wrong, but when you need a spotter and an audience, I'd call it shooting.
Kids a good shot, gotta admit that.